Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh yeah, the Archer thing.

- Stealing the Final Fantasy movie ship

e: I had to put down my cat last friday, so take this FF cat taxxe:

ee: I also remember that they said they'd build an Idris bridge for GamesCom, and every Shitizen freaked out, and at the end it was just printed walls. Don't know if this counts. But I also remember some stuff from TheAgent that they ACTUALLY wanted to make some kind of starship bridge in their office and got into legal trouble with both the landlord and the company that should have built it, but IIRC this remained a very vague rumour so I guess ain't real.

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh, how could I forget:

- the Star Citizen MadCatz HOTAS
- the Star Citizen FOIP Camera

it's really hard to remember all the fuckups....

e:

- the launcher spawning thousands of tcp-connections to download a new patch, so it actually crashed business-grade network infrastructure and got people into trouble trying to download star cititzen
- in the YOOL 2012, creating a piece of software, on windows, that still stores all it's important user data outside of the user folder, and requires a manual delete of them to keep working after patches

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 6, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

'Weeks' For original Star Marine which gets tossed out due to incompetence
Broken issue council for weeks
Broken wrist guy that delays patch
The patcher itself
stimpire.txt left on site for weeks
Dick Wulf
Ben running a female off
Garage door opener
Coffee machine

Sorry for any repeats.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Which reminds me of the broken waterpipe which caused the delay of some important youtube upload....

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Wasn't a literal broken water line. Just Jared handwaving on twitter. Still funny though

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Squadron 42 : Answer the Call (there is no call)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

biglads posted:

Squadron 42 : Answer the Call (there is no call)

Because the line has been disconnected.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Virtual Captain posted:

Wasn't a literal broken water line. Just Jared handwaving on twitter. Still funny though

It was a broken water line and somebody had a serious car accident. When everyone started asking what happened and if everyone involved was ok, he was like, "No, I didn't mean that literally. Those are just examples of why there could be a delay."

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Yeah it was loving hilarious but you had to be there as the tweets were deleted after 15 mins.

lol Jared.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ErrEff posted:

Looks like a rare bug but it's definitely affected a few players. These issues all describe the same symptoms, with a few reproductions.

PLAYER'S EYES MISSING CAUSING HUD ELEMENTS TO DISAPPEAR

Apparently solved by going into character customization and reapplying an eye color. What a stupid bug and so perfectly Star Citizen.

This is good for Star Citizen!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
to add to the list

Two week delay of launch of the PU because a developer fell off his bike and broke his wrist.
CIG deciding they wouldn't be able to make E3 despite working in the same city as the event and Sandi posting photos on twitter at the event
Gamescom event where they had a playable version of Star Marine with vehicles on a desert planet, complete janky poo poo, never been added, broken to the point they didn't show gameplay footage on their twitch stream on day 2.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I seem to recall someone punching a turret to death in like 3 seconds.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Selling digital tickets to citcon and back flipping then just failing at putting on a stream

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Where Shitizens are going, they don't NEED eyes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Holy poo poo I'm laughing my rear end off at all these. It's almost impossible to remember them all. Any one of these fuckups would be enough to sink many companies, CIG produced them on a daily basis because their backers are damaged and broken people who will defend literally anything.

My contributions:

- In-game textures still containing the watermark from the stolen GIS image the texture was made from; after we pointed it out here there was a patch that removed them
- Years and years before the incredible concept of "delta patching" - before that entire game was redownloaded each patch
- Vanduul ship where the alien in back basically has his head up the rear end of the one in front

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
- The Aegis Potato
- Releasing the unwrapped 3D face scan of Gary Oldman
- The Christmas Live Special
- Leaving the Stimpire posts up on their official forums
- Procedural birds
- Land sales

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

- Vanduul ship where the alien in back basically has his head up the rear end of the one in front

No kinkshaming!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I wish the thread that listed all the dumb events, and effort posts about said events, hadn't been disappeared because the stolen art post had a bunch of funny stuff in it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Renfield posted:

-Sponsorship by SquattyPotty

No way....

Am I being trolled? Is this a troll?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuo posted:

btw, is there a complete list of all of CIGs fuckups? Should we create one?

There is a summary thread

Or was?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sarsapariller posted:

That doesn't feel like a likely inference at all, just the thing that most strokes the egos of people who thought that surely this would be the death of CIG, any day now, absolutely. The only fact we have here is that yet another thing that was definitely going to be the end of the company has turned into a wet fart and Chris continues to take money for the product he isn't producing.

I feel like it's time to admit we know nothing about business and that being a sufficiently large failure is pretty much indistinguishable from wild success, in most ways.

It keeps surprising me that this goes on, it flies in the face of anything I thought I knew about business (OK, that wasn't much, but 'make product, sell it for profit' sounded pretty convincing). Good summary!

Also, Star Citizen: a sufficiently large failure is pretty much indistinguishable from wild success.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a summary thread

Or was?

Was. I think they archived it.

I asked the mod to leave it in the wild because I was updating it on occasion.

But I can't get to it anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This?

Star Citizen Thread Recap

(Seems like it's kinda preserved here)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

No way....

Am I being trolled? Is this a troll?

Real. A backer is like a rep for the company.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pixelate posted:

This?

Star Citizen Thread Recap

(Seems like it's kinda preserved here)

Yeah, that's a good one.

Mine was more descriptive about events/fuckups (Benghazi, paarp, gamescon2015, etc).

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

This is good for Star Citizen!

Mokinokaro posted:

Where Shitizens are going, they don't NEED eyes.

Yes!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I wish the thread that listed all the dumb events, and effort posts about said events, hadn't been disappeared because the stolen art post had a bunch of funny stuff in it.

Which one? The "recap" thread is in the goodmine, and the "historical catalog of star citizen drama" one is in the archives

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Real. A backer is like a rep for the company.

Beet Wagon posted:

Which one? The "recap" thread is in the goodmine, and the "historical catalog of star citizen drama" one is in the archives

Yeah, it went to the archives.

Who knew that CIG would continue to gently caress up into the 2020's?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Honestly, this is worse than Stimpire.

Edit: Also, confirming the Squatty Potty thing as an actual thing that happened.

XK fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 6, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

XK posted:

Honestly, this is worse than Stimpire.

Edit: Also, confirming the Squatty Potty thing as an actual thing that happened.

There are entire series of citizen photoshopping themselves doing stuff in the "verse", and all of them are pretty terrifying.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
- The "I'm a Star Citizen" self-own cringe competition

- perfectly parodied by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8lHMCm2Lc

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Credit Duplication Glitch Please Contribute

I found an interesting credit duplication glitch that allows me to have infinite credits. It seems to be caused because my account balance doesn't update in game so I'm able to transfer credits through service beacons an unlimited amount of times.

I'm unsure how my credit balance got frozen in the first place so I'm unable to duplicate the issue if your account balance isn't already glitched. However I can send out millions of credits and I've managed to accumulated over 300 million credits in the first place.

I guess with all the credit's we've lost it's finally balanced out. If you need any credits, I'll send you a beacon.

Contribute to the Issue Council report here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha-3/STARC-102698-Credit%5C_%5C_aUEC%5C_%5C_Duplication%5C_Glitch

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Would love some links for these lists, for people late to the party and who love to laugh

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

It keeps surprising me that this goes on, it flies in the face of anything I thought I knew about business (OK, that wasn't much, but 'make product, sell it for profit' sounded pretty convincing). Good summary!

Also, Star Citizen: a sufficiently large failure is pretty much indistinguishable from wild success.

It's important to remember, and we tend to forget this in this thread, but CIG is not a business - they're a charity. And it's impossible to know how long a charity can stay afloat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The real shame of Star Citizen is all the insane promises and things said that anyone just tuning in will not have any knowledge of.

The halcyon days where Chris and co would be constantly spouting new promises that will never see the light of day and most people have forgotten he even said. It's kinda sad they've gone into hiding, it's really just a boring drag now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What contest was this from?

I remember the "We Are Star Citizen" contests where they would send in their entries to appear in some con/special. God that was so cringeworthy CIG nixed the idea.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hot ham water posted:

Would love some links for these lists, for people late to the party and who love to laugh

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

tuo posted:

I am quite sure I forgot about 98%....

+ Adding the 2017 referral contest gently caress up, the video for which is still up albeit massively downvoted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiyk7u2jQ90

+ And the digital tickets that CInotG tried to sell last year for Citizens to watch the stream from the Con; eventually they were forced to stream it for free.

+ Sand worm glitching and disappearing at the live demo while the camera was pulling away

+ Planet (or moon?) blinking out of existence as soon the FTL jump completed and promptly crashing the game, during another live demo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sandi getting called out for dropping donuts on table in front of overweight coworkers trying to lose weight, subsequent appearance on program staring directly and challengingly into camera while eating tim-tams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CIG contest finalist being arrested, and imprisoned, for being a sex offender.