Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I sometimes come across this in newspaper archives.

The original title was A Modern Marriage and it was released in 1950. Didn't stop someone from adding some scenes with non-original cast later. This thing was still kicking around the second rate circuit in 1967, usually in a twinbill with B-grade horror films.

What is it actually like? The poster makes it seem like it's supposed to be titillating but I doubt it is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

What is it actually like? The poster makes it seem like it's supposed to be titillating but I doubt it is that.

The poster explicitly makes it look like the opposite of titillating

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"This movie is supposed to be about how bad it is when housewives don't put out. So... why is it missing scenes of housewives putting out??"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Movie Poster: A WOMAN WHO WILL NEVER HAVE SEX

Krankenstyle: drat this poo poo sounds hot as hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uhh that's not what I said

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So sherlock is just batman trying to decipher the riddler's clue in visual rather than speaking to himself?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

YOLO Throw? What the hell, booger

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Macksy posted:

So sherlock is just batman trying to decipher the riddler's clue in visual rather than speaking to himself?

Sherlock is why you don’t give tv shows a big budget

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sherlock is why you don’t give tv shows a big budget

lol sherlock has half the budget of an average American show and a tenth that of a period/fantasy ~~~prestige~~~ one. that four minute floaty text scene alone saved them low six figures

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

That Sherlock clip was so ridiculous I thought it had to be fake for a second, but no. I remember I liked the first season a lot. I think I watched the first episode of the second season and then called it quits at that point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol sherlock has half the budget of an average American show and a tenth that of a period/fantasy ~~~prestige~~~ one. that four minute floaty text scene alone saved them low six figures

Ok?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People rag on Sherlock for stuff like the killer using a boomerang, but that is honestly the exact kind of dumb poo poo that would be in an original Sherlock Holmes story.

Of course Sherlock figuring out it was a boomerang by just apparently being psychic isn't. The old stories would at least have a line like, "I saw a wound just like this when I was liaising with the constabulary of Alice Springs, but that's a story all it's own!". Doyle included a ton of asspulls in his stories, but he didn't write Holmes as being so smart he could see the past.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macksy posted:

It was 'I'm a sociopathic autist' so like Sheldon from BBT except he knew more than just nerd poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sherlock is one of those shows where the antifans are and have been way worse than the actual fans, I feel like a lot of people just watched Hbomberguy's feature-length video about how Sherlock is objectively terrible and just parrot it constantly at any opportunity to look smart in the same way "shot, reverse shot" and "describe the characters without using their appearance or jobs" proliferated after RLM reviewed Phantom Menace.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

My favorite thing is the weird contrarianism that pops up whenever people don’t like a thing pop up. It’s like the hipster version of not liking a popular thing

The fact it’s for a show that no one cares about like Sherlock just makes it funnier

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CharlestheHammer posted:

My favorite thing is the weird contrarianism that pops up whenever

Uh...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m sorry gimmick posts don’t rate that highly for me but you don’t even do those anymore which is a shame as they were generally more interesting

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Dracula should never be hot. He should be weirdly hot. Gimme a guy who you can't decide whether he's handsome or ugly.

e: Cumberbatch would be a decent pick by that criteria.

I'm surprised Mads Mikkelsen hasn't played Dracula yet. Although his version of Hannibal is as close as you can get to a vampire without it being supernatural.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How is that new Dracula by the way?

The only anecdotal review I've seen said that it started great and then around episode 3 took a nose dive so hard it made Twilight look like haute cinema.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COOL CORN posted:

How is that new Dracula by the way?

The only anecdotal review I've seen said that it started great and then around episode 3 took a nose dive so hard it made Twilight look like haute cinema.

Yeah, I liked the first two eps quite a bit, and then the third sucked. Suffers the common flaw in a lot of British media where they try to have the cleverest writing possible, and then it blows up in their face in a combo of eye-rolling bullshit and boredom.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I liked the first two eps quite a bit, and then the third sucked.
Well, that's to be expected, being Dracula and all.

:drac:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Idea:
Modern adaptation of Dracula where the Demeter runs aground with the entire crew dead only in this version the dead sailors are all rushed to the closest hospital for storage until the storm blows over and the entire film is set within the underfunded, understaffed and decaying small town hospital. Then of course the sailors wake up and start picking off patients and hospital workers must work to destroy the infestation of undead vermin flowing out of their morgue.

I might already have a couple dozen pages of this already written and it might also be a stealth adaptation of that one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I liked the first two eps quite a bit, and then the third sucked. Suffers the common flaw in a lot of British media where they try to have the cleverest writing possible, and then it blows up in their face in a combo of eye-rolling bullshit and boredom.

Just like one of Mark Gatiss' other shows, Sherlock?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vagabundo posted:

Just like one of Mark Gatiss' other show, Sherlock?

Yep, or Dr Who.

The first two eps are quite clever, and being set in the past they have all that great period scenery and costuming. Last ep is modern day, and so right off the bat loses that charm. The final "twist" at the end of the show is so loving stupid and just leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I just want a 90's-set Vampire: Masquerade TV series scored by Massive Attack.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, or Dr Who.

The first two eps are quite clever, and being set in the past they have all that great period scenery and costuming. Last ep is modern day, and so right off the bat loses that charm. The final "twist" at the end of the show is so loving stupid and just leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

Mind spoiling the twist?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Mind spoiling the twist?

They tease a little when Drac drinks the blood of a modern day Van Helsing descendant. He gets sick when he does so, not knowing why. The final denouement and "big twist" is Van Helsing revealing that most of the weaknesses of Dracula, ie crosses, sunlight, are bullshit. They've simply been perpetuated so long that even Drac believes them himself, which they prove when he's exposed to sunlight, begins screaming and then stops shortly thereafter when he realizes nothing is happening to him. Then a long spiel about how Drac is just a big puss, only going on through the centuries because he's afraid of dying. He realizes it's true, his life is a lie, and then he chooses to kill himself by drinking more of Van Helsings blood, which we now know is tainted with cancer and poisonous to Drac.

The one real bright spark of the show is Dolly Wells, who plays the Van Helsings through the ages. Particularly in her role as Agatha Van Helsing, sort of a *cough* Sherlockian *cough* nun in the 1800's, trying to piece together the mystery and science behind Drac and his affliction, almost like a police procedural. She also good as the modern day Van Helsing descendant, but not with quite the same fun as the older Van Helsing.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 5, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

This stuff made me completely give up on that show, not that I really into it anyway.

If they reboot Columbo and he does that mind palace poo poo, I'd probably have an aneurysm.

Columbo walks out the door.

"Just one more thing..."

He turns around the room he just left stretches out in front of him in a million layers like in The Matrix each highlighting a particular character or object of interest.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The final "twist" at the end of the show is so loving stupid and just leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

That’s Moffat’s signature trick!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They tease a little when Drac drinks the blood of a modern day Van Helsing descendant. He gets sick when he does so, not knowing why. The final denouement and "big twist" is Van Helsing revealing that most of the weaknesses of Dracula, ie crosses, sunlight, are bullshit. They've simply been perpetuated so long that even Drac believes them himself, which they prove when he's exposed to sunlight, begins screaming and then stops shortly thereafter when he realizes nothing is happening to him. Then a long spiel about how Drac is just a big puss, only going on through the centuries because he's afraid of dying. He realizes it's true, his life is a lie, and then he chooses to kill himself by drinking more of Van Helsings blood, which we now know is tainted with cancer and poisonous to Drac.

The one real bright spark of the show is Dolly Wells, who plays the Van Helsings through the ages. Particularly in her role as Agatha Van Helsing, sort of a *cough* Sherlockian *cough* nun in the 1800's, trying to piece together the mystery and science behind Drac and his affliction, almost like a police procedural. She also good as the modern day Van Helsing descendant, but not with quite the same fun as the older Van Helsing.

Yeah, holy poo poo I can't remember a more whiplashy change in quality between episodes 1-2 and episode 3 in any show ever. When Dracula texts the girl and ends it with a vampire emoji (and of course we see this via Sherlock-text-vision) my eyes rolled out of my head and down the street and now I'm blind forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dillbag posted:

I just want a 90's-set Vampire: Masquerade TV series scored by Massive Attack.

I mean there is a Masquerade TV show made in the 90s and the whole thing is on YouTube.

Kindred: The Embraced.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

I mean there is a Masquerade TV show made in the 90s and the whole thing is on YouTube.

Kindred: The Embraced.

I meant shot as a modern-quality production but taking place in the 90s. KTE is ok but kinda low-budg. Like the Nosferatu are just bald dudes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first thing I ever saw of Cumberbatch's Sherlock was that one episode where the villain ALSO has a mind palace and can think all good like so Sherlock's solution to his dastardly trap is to just shoot him in the face.

It's a pretty good solution but no one else in the room understood why I was laughing so hard.

e: The second episode I saw, later on, had Watson's wife as a spec ops ninja assassin, for some reason

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The first thing I ever saw of Cumberbatch's Sherlock was that one episode where the villain ALSO has a mind palace and can think all good like so Sherlock's solution to his dastardly trap is to just shoot him in the face.

It's a pretty good solution but no one else in the room understood why I was laughing so hard.

e: The second episode I saw, later on, had Watson's wife as a spec ops ninja assassin, for some reason

For a lot of shows modernization of concepts just boils down to what can we do to make it like an action movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBA Starblade posted:

The first thing I ever saw of Cumberbatch's Sherlock was that one episode where the villain ALSO has a mind palace
That's a fun one because it plays out like OMG Evil Guy has Google Glass Retina Lenzes WiFi and it's just nope appledore want some more who's my friend *gun*. Plus the guy had diplomatic immunity or something.

Better swerve was Sherlock figuring out access codes and then the British Gov showing their whole rear end on their morgueplane.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I sometimes come across this in newspaper archives.

The original title was A Modern Marriage and it was released in 1950. Didn't stop someone from adding some scenes with non-original cast later. This thing was still kicking around the second rate circuit in 1967, usually in a twinbill with B-grade horror films.

I misread the "recommended for high school age" as "recommended for high school" and got very confused for a minute.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1214201795641110529?s=20

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/marx_knopfler/status/1214224118125596672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Jesus that is bad thanks for the writeup!