Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Does that mean Tommy Ryker is not circumcised?

Picard: long time no see, Will.

Riker: you too, Captain.

Picard: *expectant look*

Riker: *sighs, drops trousers*

Picard: sorry. Can't be too careful, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7hfNQYAes

“Blue Skies” by Irving Berlin utilized in this teaser, which is what B-4 was humming at the end of Nemesis.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I hope they cram the entire show with easter egg references to fan favorite Nemesis. Maybe they can go back to that dune buggy planet. Maybe the Remans resettled there. Did Picard keep that photo which showed he was bald even back in the academy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The whole show is probably just a stealth means of reintroducing Wesley Crusher and making him the second most important character.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I just want someone to answer the question always had as a child: why is Picard bald? Was it a science experiment gone wrong like Lex Luthor? A war injury? A genetic abnormality ?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I seem to recall Stewart doing an interview ages ago where he said he started going bald in his teens and was totally bald by age 20. I don't think there was ever a story about Picard's early hair loss, but they might have modeled the character after his personal life experiences.

Stewart's son, Daniel (who played his imaginary son in The Inner Light), is also bald.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 6, 2020

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Delthalaz posted:

I just want someone to answer the question always had as a child: why is Picard bald? Was it a science experiment gone wrong like Lex Luthor? A war injury? A genetic abnormality ?
He had male pattern baldness and Starfleet medicine and Federation culture doesn't consider it disfiguring or a flaw in need of repair.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Gonz posted:

Having a living template to put the de-aged CGI on top of helps. The Jeff Bridges Clu CGI wasn’t half bad for a movie 11 years ago, and Michael Douglas in Ant Man was the best the technology has ever looked. The CGI ghost of Peter Cushing was horrendous. Shoulda just had the Tron or Marvel people do it for them.

Eventually the technology will get there, but it’s not quite there yet.

It is there or at least it can be sometimes and then people don't notice it/don't talk about it, example CGI Logan clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCDe9wHHJQ

Deepfakes are also catching up in achieving similar results with a lot less effort. They will probably be good enough for Hollywood/TV use in a couple of years (atm temporal artifacts still happen too often).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got an uncle who went bald at like 19 and my brother seems to take after him. (Luckily I have exactly the same hair as the other side of my family)

Gonz posted:

The whole show is probably just a stealth means of reintroducing Wesley Crusher and making him the second most important character.

Wil Wheaton's cred is shot now from palling around with abusers and TERFs iirc. Also somehow went from Bernie supporter to #StillWithHer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Logan didn't use de-aging, the clone head is completely CGI. The stunt coordinator played the clone.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nessus posted:

He had male pattern baldness and Starfleet medicine and Federation culture doesn't consider it disfiguring or a flaw in need of repair.

He also had a terrible combover until a large Hungarian man pinned his arms behind his back so his wife could cut it off.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is that Tom Hardy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arglebargle III posted:

Logan didn't use de-aging, the clone head is completely CGI. The stunt coordinator played the clone.

Same thing they did with Captain America? I know the guy who plays pre-serum Steve cameos as the bartender in London.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He also had a terrible combover until a large Bolian pinned his arms behind his back so his wife could cut it off.

Fixed for ya!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He also had a terrible combover until his large wife pinned his arms behind his back so a Bolian could cut it off.

fixed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love that nobody who made Nemesis bothered to watch TNG

In Tapestry, young Picard just out of the Academy still had hair

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It was specifically the director Stuart Baird who didn’t watch TNG, and I think he was proud that he didn’t. Supposedly he didn’t even want to be there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baird was owed a directing gig on a reasonably high profile Hollywood movie and they gave him Star Trek, which he thought was a bit of a lovely cop-out prize.

It was, of course, a terrible idea to give direction of a Trek movie to someone who doesn't actually care about it, given it comes with huge baggage of massive established setting and themes and style. Anyone doing it has to work within that context if it's gonna have a chance of working out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 6, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mehall posted:

Is that Tom Hardy?

You ever hear about Tom Hardy's drug problems? They were caused by appearing in Star Trek: Nemesis

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Same thing they did with Captain America? I know the guy who plays pre-serum Steve cameos as the bartender in London.

No, pre-serum steve was Chris Evan's real head on a small guy's body. The fake wolverine was a cgi head on a stunt guy's body.

Jows
May 8, 2002

marktheando posted:

No, pre-serum steve was Chris Evan's real head on a small guy's body. The fake wolverine was a cgi head on a stunt guy's body.

So the real Disney magic was getting the heads back to their owners.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Early male pattern baldness is perfectly realistic, but yeah it isn’t what we know about the character Picard. They made him perma-bald because they thought the audience was so stupid they wouldn’t be able to comprehend or recognize Picard unless he was bald. Like I’m convinced if they were going to show a flashback to his childhood they’d have a little bald Jean-Luc sitting at the table with his bald
mom and dad so we knew they were Picards.

Nemesis was the only Star Trek movie I’ve only seen once, and that was when it was in theaters. Is that the movie we found out Janeway got promoted over Picard?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Delthalaz posted:

Like I’m convinced if they were going to show a flashback to his childhood they’d have a little bald Jean-Luc sitting at the table with his bald
mom and dad so we knew they were Picards.

You've got me picturing all of the Christmassy poo poo in the Nexus with an entirely bald wife and kids...

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Picard turned down promotion multiple times. Janeway didn't. Also Janeway has a certain psychotic villainous energy that starfleet looks for in an admiral.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Picard turned down promotion multiple times. Janeway didn't. Also Janeway has a certain psychotic villainous energy that starfleet looks for in an admiral.

The capacity to make batshit, selfish errors at a transgalactic and inter-temporal scale, a task which she gets onto post haste.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I get that wrt to Janeway. Is it really in character for Picard to turn down promotion, though? I can’t remember if that ever happened on the show. He isn’t Kirk, you’d think he’d love elevated diplomatic managerial responsibilities.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Delthalaz posted:

I get that wrt to Janeway. Is it really in character for Picard to turn down promotion, though? I can’t remember if that ever happened on the show. He isn’t Kirk, you’d think he’d love elevated diplomatic managerial responsibilities.

He turns down an offer to head the academy in the episode where they do the “it’s a prank bro” test on Wesley

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Also Kirk told him to never leave that chair

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Delthalaz posted:

Kirk wants to be where the action is, Picard wants to be out exploring. The motive is different but the result is the same.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

skasion posted:

He turns down an offer to head the academy in the episode where they do the “it’s a prank bro” test on Wesley

Forgot about that! But Picard isn’t as huge a fan of young people as he is negotiating with alien governments.

Alan_Shore posted:

Also Kirk told him to never leave that chair

True, but character development in the TNG movies was all over the place. I guess they did establish he was an explorer at heart early on in TNG. Later on in the show, though, he was less about exploration than he was about diplomacy. I don’t see why he’d be so intent on staying a captain now that it was less exploration and first contact and more endless warfare with borg, dominion and skin-stretching perverts. I could see him wanting the admiral life even before running into a secret enormous romulan genocide ship run by light-averse goblin-orcs and a psychic rapist Tom Hardy/ Picard clone.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Movie Picard and TV Picard are basically two different characters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Jean-Luuke

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Real Picard died during torturetime with Gul Madred.

Faux Picard is a Cardassian spy.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Bloop posted:

Jean-Luuke

So in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (the original licensed sequels to Star Wars) they indicate a clone by doubling up a vowel, so like Clone-Luke is Luuke or Clone Jorus is Joruus. I always wondered if it incremented by clone, like is the third clone of Han Haaaan?

Anyways that was the dumbest poo poo ever and so was the plot of Nemesis.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Duncan Idaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaho

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Weyyyyyyyyoun

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[645,000 characters removed]aaaaaaaaaaaaango Fett

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jaango Fett.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pick posted:

Jaango Fett.

“The second A is silent, hillbilly.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

It’s in service of plot but I don’t find it as bad as people say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Movie Picard is "Starship Mine" Picard without the saddle.