Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

I understand your instinct to protect your loved ones and to distrust your fellow motorists' attentiveness, but unless you can get behind a barrier or far from the roadway, the safest place to be is in the car buckled up.

Not in the piece of poo poo we were in, it was an old rear end Isuzu pickup, so we took our chances getting out and far away enough until the trooper got there.

Tbh I was more worried about getting hit and pushed over the edge, it happens on the bridges around here a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8TASl0NcY

What a moron. I love the description text: "I Love Tesla, but yes my car crashed on auto pilot.".

The description of the guy's next video (seriously):

quote:

Wasn't sure if i was going to ever post this crash. The accident happened back in September and i haven't wanted to post since losing my favorite thing in the world! It really is my favorite thing i have ever purchased. That being said i posted a clip of just the crash yesterday and it got 50k views in just 24 hrs. So here is the full Vlog, I do not wish any harm to tesla and/or there stock. This is not the best representation of auto pilot i know, but this is the video i have. Also i still have faith in my tesla and have ordered 4 Cyber Trucks since the accident. Hope you can understand and Enjoy!

Bolding mine.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
loving gross.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Winter Stormer posted:

The description of the guy's next video (seriously):

Bolding mine.

Wow, that guy lives down to the Telsa driver stereotype.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
He seems pretty dumb so I'm glad he's putting his faith in his tesla. I'd trust its autopilot more than I would trust him with actual control of the vehicle.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I have a model 3

It’s pretty good I’ve had no probl OH GOD NO

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
They didn't run the realistic fire update yet

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

They didn't run the realistic fire update yet

Realistic fire is a secret option. It's only $5000 more. Totally worth it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just pretend it’s a low poly cybertruck fire.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

quote:

I passed my driving test a few months ago, but I still haven't been on a motorway. I just don't get how slip roads work? I've watched every Youtube video, but I'm still confused!

Specific issues I have:

1. What if there isn't a gap for you to merge into by the end of the slip?

2. How can I gauge the gap between cars when everything is moving so fast? I'm worried I'm going to mis-calculate and hit someone.

quote:

I accelerate to about 50mph depending on traffic in the outside lane. I keep looking and judge my speed on that - if there's no room I slow down appropriately until people move over.

quote:

On motorways you slow down, maybe to about 30, use your mirrors and pull out into a gap. You have maybe used a slip road on a slower dual carriageway like a ring road? Motorway is the same really.

quote:

Happened to me this year, for the first time ever - albeit joining an A road, not a motorway. I had to drive onto pavement; luckily there were no pedestrians, and a garage just after the slip road into which I could turn. loving terrifying.

quote:

I made a right mess of the last time I used a slip road and nearly ended up on the embankment!

quote:

Drivers already on the motorway should be aware that they are approaching a slip road and that there will be vehicles joining. They should be preparing to move over to Lane 2 if needed. People in Lane 2 and 3 should be aware of vehicles moving over and should accommodate them.

quote:

I can't see myself ever driving on the motorway for this reason. The thought terrifies me

quote:

Ive never driven on the motorway. No need to as im over 90 mins from one. But when DH drives i tend to close my eyes when he joins as the lorries make me nervous.

Last night i had to drive somewhere new (i tend to do local and up to sn hour away) and there were 2 big roundabouts. I kept adking my 14 yr old which lane i needed as she hS been there many times eith her dad. I hated it! Then i had to do the return journey alone😂😂😂

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thank you for the daily dose of anxiety.

Reminds me of when Ed Bolian sat and told the world about how his wife is accident prone in car parks. She revered into a car and thought she just went into a pothole, and of course did the only logical thing - hit the gas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ.....That reinforces my theory that lots of people drive around literally scared all the time and have no business driving. People panic for no reason and cause accidents, if you're not confident in your ability to drive under pressure or drive at all for that matter, just don't loving drive and use uber for the love of god.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife, who insists she is a perfectly good driver, think it's OK to just force her way onto a highway here in the US if nobody will let her in. Then she yells at the guy she cut off for not letting her in. I try not to let her drive while reconciling myself to the reality that someday my beloved will kill herself or someone else in traffic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My wife, who insists she is a perfectly good driver, think it's OK to just force her way onto a highway here in the US if nobody will let her in. Then she yells at the guy she cut off for not letting her in. I try not to let her drive while reconciling myself to the reality that someday my beloved will kill herself or someone else in traffic.

If the alternative is stopping on the on ramp then I agree with her.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the law states that highway gets priority over the ramp, but it's common courtesy to make reasonable accommodation for incoming traffic. You can be a dick about it and legally be correct.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If the alternative is stopping on the on ramp then I agree with her.

Yeah, this gets into a rough one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I mean the law states that highway gets priority over the ramp, but it's common courtesy to make reasonable accommodation for incoming traffic. You can be a dick about it and legally be correct.

In general though the law and insurance companies take a dim view of someone who comes across with the smug “well, I had the right of way so I didn’t do anything to prevent or limit the risk of a collision”

Today I was driving on a road wide enough for 2 cars, and I was passing two parked cars. A lady turned from a side street and proceeded to flog the car to come flying up toward me so that she could throw her hands up when she got to me passing the two parked cars. Technically you could say I’m on the wrong side of the road, but the reality is she’s being a big time dumbass by not initially seeing the situation and then escalating it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I encountered a twit like that a couple weeks ago in a similar situation, plenty of room for both of us to drive through but they did a I GOT RIGHT OF WAY power move and drifted towards the center of the road and hammered their high beams several times. gently caress off with that poo poo, we're all stuck living in this poo poo reality so spare me the drama.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
On any on-ramp, depending on the angle of approach, I will turn in my seat sometimes (briefly) up to a 135 degree angle if needed in an effort to scope out the scenario of my merge. Point is don't wait until you're halfway through the dotted lines for merging into the highway to look to the left and see if someone is going to let you in or not, which I see people do all the time. They wait till the last possible second to even look to their left and then flip out that no one let them in. Often the person in the right lane might not actually be a jerk and may have someone in the middle lane cruising next to them, and they may have someone in the far left lane driving next to them. Could they have noticed you sooner and slowed down or sped up to compensate for that and allow you space to turn in? Probably, most likely even. But you can't assume others are going to do the polite or courteous thing.

I have no data to back this up, but I think people have a hard time quickly gauging relative speed. I'm riding with people sometimes and they speed like crazy on the on-ramp and then brake suddenly because they couldn't tell the person on the highway was also flying and they couldn't get in front of them in time. On the other hand I've also noticed people crawling in the right lane, crawling in the merging lane and then they both end up in a slow-stalemate next to each other until someone hits the brakes or speeds up, hopefully not the same at the same time.

It's best to not take a "stance" one way or the other. There's people out there, we've all seen them, that you can tell by their bat-out-of-hell approach on the on-ramp that they don't let nobody box them out, they're comin' in hot. Then there's the gold Ford crown vic crawling up the on-ramp forcing people who want to take that exit to hit their brakes as they slowly merge over with no signal. You gotta take a lot of things on a case by case basis.

Observe as soon as you can. Someone flying up the right lane? Don't assume they'll move over. Coast or maybe even lightly hit the brakes to adjust so you can slip in after them but not so slow that whoever was behind them is gonna be flying up on you either. Someone coming up to you but seem to be going pretty slow? You can probably merge in front of them, they may even be exiting and are just not using their signal. In either scenario the person could even move over for you, best case! You just can't assume they will or get mad at them for not. Again, maybe they have someone next to them, maybe they thought they needed this exit, maybe they're flexing their right to not have to move (upstate NY, usually that). There are a variety of factors that make assuming people will move out of your way a bad assumption.

Great example of why not to go into every traffic situation with your own "plan". Years ago when I was young and stupid (now I'm just old and stupid), I was super late for an appointment like 2 hours away and I was panicking getting onto the highway. I was merging onto a 3 lane highway, got in front of the person in the right lane, soon after went into middle lane and of course the van in the middle lane brakes randomly so I jump over to the far left to pass in frustration, and even though I really hit the gas the car in the left lane flying up is already on top of me. I'm like check out this hot-shot ... It's unmarked police. I move over immediately and he flies past me. Before I could finish saying "phew, so glad he..." to myself, a marked trooper is pulling me over. "Did you know you just cut off the Captain of the Highway?" I just defaulted to full on apologize mode. "I had no idea, but regardless it was stupid of me to do. I'm so sorry, it was just dumb, I'm late but it's no excuse - I'm stupid. I'm so sorry officer." To my absolute dismay he says "drive safe" gets back in his car and drives away. I should have gotten a ticket, I wish I had. Paying it might do something to alleviate my conscience. To this day that incident remains one of those things that when you're having a good day, it pops into your head out of nowhere, plays through in your head and ruins your day.

Good testament that the "Sorry officer I'm an idiot" plea can work, instead of trying to come up with an excuse. I think it was effective because I really was sincere. I truly felt so awful and it was a good wake-up call.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

yamdankee posted:

On any on-ramp, depending on the angle of approach, I will turn in my seat sometimes (briefly) up to a 135 degree angle

Yep, scanning the opposition. Spotting the gaps. Waiting to dance in the 'game' of motorways.

But yeah, any cloverleaf type thing I kind of enjoy going in behind a Class 8. Makes life a little easier.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

yamdankee posted:

I was super late for an appointment like 2 hours away and I was panicking getting onto the highway. I was merging onto a 3 lane highway, got in front of the person in the right lane, soon after went into middle lane and of course the van in the middle lane brakes randomly so I jump over to the far left to pass in frustration, and even though I really hit the gas the car in the left lane flying up is already on top of me. I'm like check out this hot-shot ... It's unmarked police. I move over immediately and he flies past me. Before I could finish saying "phew, so glad he..." to myself, a marked trooper is pulling me over. "Did you know you just cut off the Captain of the Highway?" I just defaulted to full on apologize mode. "I had no idea, but regardless it was stupid of me to do. I'm so sorry, it was just dumb, I'm late but it's no excuse - I'm stupid. I'm so sorry officer." To my absolute dismay he says "drive safe" gets back in his car and drives away. I should have gotten a ticket, I wish I had. Paying it might do something to alleviate my conscience. To this day that incident remains one of those things that when you're having a good day, it pops into your head out of nowhere, plays through in your head and ruins your day.

Good testament that the "Sorry officer I'm an idiot" plea can work, instead of trying to come up with an excuse. I think it was effective because I really was sincere. I truly felt so awful and it was a good wake-up call.

Eh I wouldn't shed a calorie worrying about it. If Captain of the Highway really wants people out of his way, drive a marked car & put the lights and sirens on. Otherwise, drive the speed limit and follow the same rules as the rest of us.

You passed the slower/erratic vehicle in front of you, and you moved back to the right when you were clear. The trooper pulling you over was just to show how big & tough they were in response to a perceived slight; if they were truly headed to an emergency, they would have had better things to do than stop & harass you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out police are bad?

I had a cop try to egg me to admit guilt before. "This is going to be so much worse if you lie to me. I'll give you one more chance" like five times. Went to court, got it thrown out.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the Jaywalkers you share the highway with

https://i.imgur.com/jEXKRTe.mp4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solar Coaster posted:

These are the Jaywalkers you share the highway with

https://i.imgur.com/jEXKRTe.mp4

In extremely Boney M voice: "Oh, those Russians..."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It was all good (ish) until that guy got out of the car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
am i supposed to be mad about the jaywalkers in that clip?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

taqueso posted:

It was all good (ish) until that guy got out of the car.
gently caress that dog owner.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krakkles posted:

When you gently caress up so bad even your own dog won't help you, lol.

"Blyat, I almost ran over your dog!"
"Blyat, you almost got me run over. Bad! Bad human! Hit him again!"

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I picked the wrong day to leave the dashcam at home. Nearly got into a head-on on a 2 lane road with some douche who couldn't wait to the car turning in front of him to make the turn. So, naturally, he dove into the oncoming lane, across a double yellow, and made me (oncoming traffic) dive to the outside. Luckily, this is a very wide 2 lane road, so I had space to dodge into.

And of course, he blew his horn at me and flipped me off, since my trip home from the grocery store was inconveniencing him.

Never leave the cam at home. Had we gotten into a crash, and we nearly did, the video would have shown who was at fault.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flint Ironstag posted:

I picked the wrong day to leave the dashcam at home. Nearly got into a head-on on a 2 lane road with some douche who couldn't wait to the car turning in front of him to make the turn. So, naturally, he dove into the oncoming lane, across a double yellow, and made me (oncoming traffic) dive to the outside. Luckily, this is a very wide 2 lane road, so I had space to dodge into.

And of course, he blew his horn at me and flipped me off, since my trip home from the grocery store was inconveniencing him.

Never leave the cam at home. Had we gotten into a crash, and we nearly did, the video would have shown who was at fault.

I don't disagree but wouldn't the guy who crashed into another car in the oncoming lane generally be assumed to be at fault?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

u brexit ukip it posted:

I don't disagree but wouldn't the guy who crashed into another car in the oncoming lane generally be assumed to be at fault?

Yeah.

The guy in the beat up Chevy truck who came into my lane and caused me to dodge him. I may not have been clear in my description.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

When you gently caress up so bad even your own dog won't help you, lol.

"Blyat, I almost ran over your dog!"
"Blyat, you almost got me run over. Bad! Bad human! Hit him again!"
Oh man, this totally made me think of a dog speaking russian, which is hilarious.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah.

The guy in the beat up Chevy truck who came into my lane and caused me to dodge him. I may not have been clear in my description.
Yeah, but as many have said here, you can be right but dead.

On that note, after like 3 years I finally fixed my dashcam in my Jeep. The DC-USB power supply had given out and it took all of 5 minutes to fix. I should've done that a long time ago.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Biggest issue I've seen with entering the freeway in my area is the nitwits who can't be assed to get to highway speed before they reach the end of the ramp/start of the sliproad. Traffic is usually heavy, but there are plenty of gaps. The posted limit is 55mph, actual average speed is 60 - 65mph depending on the time of day. Why the hell do you think that 35mph is an appropriate speed to get to before attempting to join traffic?

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 7, 2020

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I think it's a general lack of thinking ahead number one, and fear/hyper-caution in a close second.

Edit: Thread title also contains some possibilities

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

yamdankee posted:

On any on-ramp, depending on the angle of approach, I will turn in my seat sometimes (briefly) up to a 135 degree angle if needed in an effort to scope out the scenario of my merge.

Yeah I do the same thing as soon as I get to a point where I can see what's going on and adjust my speed accordingly. I thought everyone did this haha yeah right :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Krakkles posted:

One time I was leaving D.C. on the GW Parkway (a road with no sidewalk at that point that I've never once seen people walking by) and this idiot has her dog off a leash and sure enough it darts into the road and gets killed by the van in front of me. We stop to see if we should call an animal shelter or something because it didn't just die immediately, but this stupid lady was freaking out saying I can't believe this is happening, is this real?! I just wanted to kick her in the head. You just got this poor dog killed because you're an irresponsible dog owner, so yeah it's real.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
What is with people walking/jogging on the busiest of streets lately? I live in a pretty large, peaceful, and quite community bordered by two of the busiest roads in the city and people choose the sides of those roads to travel on. That's bad enough but don't bring your innocent animals into it. Eerie how this has come up here considering in just the last two days I've almost hit someone's dog on two separate occasions as they're walking them down the sidewalk. When I walk my dog I'm keenly aware of the slack he has at all times and if on any road, especially a busy one which I avoid anyway, I will keep his leash super short and close.

Sunday someone had their golden retriever on a retractable leash and I could tell from far away that if the dog wanted to bolt into the street he'd be able to, which he of course did as I swerve to the left even further as I was already far over after noticing her.

Then yesterday I was on a much busier road and someone had their dalmatian on a long leash with full slack. Again from afar I could tell it was a young and/or untrained pup as it was just spastic but this time I had full traffic in the oncoming lane and I couldn't just stop on a hunch that it would jump out, nor could I move to the left - thinking all of this in about 2 seconds I slowed down but I winced as I passed praying not to hear the sound of a dog churning around in my wheel well that would haunt me for the rest of my life. I look in my rear view and the owner is cartoonishly whipping the dog back towards her as it keeps flopping on and off the curb. Just hold the dog closer! Or don't put it between you and traffic like mommies little extra barrier if a car jumps the curb. What is wrong with people? I can totally understand wanting to punch someone in the face for making you hit or almost hit their dog.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Resolutioners, give it a few more weeks and they'll tucker out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's a lack of self awareness. If you don't have the ability or the inclination to take a step back and consider your actions, your life's liable to be an endless series of disasters you will swear to your dying day couldn't have been foreseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'll just add myself to this list for tonight. The highway was funneled down to two lanes from 6. Well those brakes in front of me got serious real quick and I had a big rig behind me, I got on the brakes, ABS just slipping me down the road, my eyes darted at the rear view, the grill of the big rig filling my view, the impending collision up front... And loving just split the two lanes of traffic with a full size car.

Definitely a poo poo yourself moment.