Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
With the difference being Starship Mine owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Movie Picard is the same Picard as the series. The difference is that in First Contact, Picard is still dealing with his PTSD from his Borg experiences.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard in Nemesis, however, is him unfortunately succumbing to his space dementia, convincing himself he’s an expert dune buggy driver.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

The Bloop posted:

Jean-Luuke

Zurui posted:

So in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (the original licensed sequels to Star Wars) they indicate a clone by doubling up a vowel, so like Clone-Luke is Luuke or Clone Jorus is Joruus. I always wondered if it incremented by clone, like is the third clone of Han Haaaan?

The Bloop posted:

Duncan Idaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaho

Brawnfire posted:

Weyyyyyyyyoun

Powered Descent posted:

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[645,000 characters removed]aaaaaaaaaaaaango Fett

Pick posted:

Jaango Fett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuu6m_6Fsw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

However, if you don't own Star Trek by now and you are in this thread, what the gently caress are you doing? The series box sets regularly go on sale for $30-$60 a pop.

What? I don't even have a way to watch DVDs or physical media anymore, I know a lot of peers who are similarly no longer equipped for old media. This is grandpa advice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zurui posted:

So in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (the original licensed sequels to Star Wars) they indicate a clone by doubling up a vowel, so like Clone-Luke is Luuke or Clone Jorus is Joruus. I always wondered if it incremented by clone, like is the third clone of Han Haaaan?
Canonically (or Legends canon, now) they did add more vowels.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So what clone number was KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have a script of TWOK to count vowels

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khanstant posted:

What? I don't even have a way to watch DVDs or physical media anymore, I know a lot of peers who are similarly no longer equipped for old media. This is grandpa advice.

And you are why we don't have DS9 in HD and never will.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good, HD is excessive visual smut for spoiled deviant eyes. It's like people who need diamond USB plugs to hear their og vorbises records at highest quality. For the rest of us, the sped up, squashed down in the corner YouTube rips are just fine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I very much enjoy my artesenal Tape artifacts. The lower resolution really makes the image warmer and fuller than modern digital aspect ratios.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Good, HD is excessive visual smut for spoiled deviant eyes. It's like people who need diamond USB plugs to hear their og vorbises records at highest quality. For the rest of us, the sped up, squashed down in the corner YouTube rips are just fine.

interlaced video w/ VHS tracking artifacts, mono audio coming out of a tiny speaker

stretched out to fill a 16:9 screen

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Recorded from the original TV broadcast, with commercials included.

Unless your rewatch includes ad spots from local car dealerships circa 1994 you just aren't getting the authentic TNG experience.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
1994? Them’s rookie numbers. I only watch a first broadcast taping of Code of Honor intermixed with Reagan era news blurbs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Delsaber posted:

Unless your rewatch includes ad spots from local car dealerships circa 1994 you just aren't getting the authentic TNG experience.

One thing I can't abide with watching on Hulu or TV now, is when they don't put the commercials at the built in commercial times.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

And the teaser at the end for next week's exciting episode of STARRRRRRR TREK thenextgeneration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ52ebFqzdI

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Khanstant posted:

USB DVD drives are like $25, this is not a huge hurdle to clear. What with old shows going every which way on streaming services I think DVDs are more valuable than ever, actually. Once you have the disc you have it forever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

interlaced video w/ VHS tracking artifacts, mono audio coming out of a tiny speaker

Imo there will never be as satisfying a way to watch Star Trek than on Justin.tv, in that days secret Star Trek stream you could only find by belonging to the right covert Facebook groups. Star Trek is just better with a chat, or at least, the specific type of weirdoes who bothered in that instance.

As for physical, it does have benefits but this is the longest I've ever lived at the same place in adulthood, and I still just like to keep my physical possessions to a minimum. Moving sucks the more crap you have, keeping my totally objects owned into the size of the small uhaul is just logistically best for me.

DVD collection seems more realistic if you've got a permanent long term dwelling.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think a great end to Voyager would have been the crew getting home to the Alpha Quadrant in season 4, immediately getting drafted into the Dominion war, and being one of the no name ships getting one-shotted in one of DS9's big battle scenes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bucswabe posted:

I think a great end to Voyager would have been the crew getting home to the Alpha Quadrant in season 4, immediately getting drafted into the Dominion war, and being one of the no name ships getting one-shotted in one of DS9's big battle scenes.

Without Voyager, the Dominion war would never have been allowed. Be thankful and experience bij.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

THANK you, I was looking for this weeks ago and it's not as easy to search for as you would think.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

HD DAD posted:

1994? Them’s rookie numbers. I only watch a first broadcast taping of Code of Honor intermixed with Reagan era news blurbs.
Probably feels like one long, intensely racist episode with no commercials then.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

THANK you, I was looking for this weeks ago and it's not as easy to search for as you would think.

I made that using Pick’s wonderful artwork and I’m very happy to see it bring joy :3

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khanstant posted:

Imo there will never be as satisfying a way to watch Star Trek than on Justin.tv, in that days secret Star Trek stream you could only find by belonging to the right covert Facebook groups. Star Trek is just better with a chat, or at least, the specific type of weirdoes who bothered in that instance.

As for physical, it does have benefits but this is the longest I've ever lived at the same place in adulthood, and I still just like to keep my physical possessions to a minimum. Moving sucks the more crap you have, keeping my totally objects owned into the size of the small uhaul is just logistically best for me.

DVD collection seems more realistic if you've got a permanent long term dwelling.

I get that what you have works for you, but it's not like having DVDs or BDs is only feasible for the house-privileged who can accommodate bookcases and shelves full of big clunky cases and boxes. They make these arcane artifacts that are essentially a three ring binder you can pack hundreds of discs into. And if you're willing to say "gently caress the police" you could rip discs onto a hard drive and then toss the discs; you can pack a metric shitload of media onto a 4TB external hard drive that is entirely USB powered and takes up roughly the same volume as a pack of smokes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if you dont store all your media on little multicoloured slabs of backlit translucent acrylic

like what are you even doing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

lol if you dont store all your media on little multicoloured slabs of backlit translucent acrylic

I've never been able to find a good isolinear chip USB drive and it annoys me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I'm still on primary-color painted wooden blocks :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek was pretty ahead of its time with ideas about computing, even if they were deliberately vague about it; mostly that storage mediums are basically arbitrary containers and wireless networking becomes the norm. Of course, the latter might not be the hardest thing to extrapolate, given radio had been around for like half a century already.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Picard, his face wide

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek was pretty ahead of its time with ideas about computing, even if they were deliberately vague about it; mostly that storage mediums are basically arbitrary containers and wireless networking becomes the norm. Of course, the latter might not be the hardest thing to extrapolate, given radio had been around for like half a century already.

It's true, even if they called them tapes at first, it was pretty forward-thinking.

Using "gigaquads" instead of any recognizable unit for memory in TNG was brilliant because otherwise they almost certainly would have chosen a laughably small amount that would have aged terribly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They did give a hard figure for Data’s storage capacity, which worked out to like 100 petabytes. Which isn’t terribly small.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

The two young scientists played together as well as they worked; unfortunately, what they liked to play was computer games. Del had tried to get her to play once; she was not merely uninterested, she was totally disinterested.

"What's the file name?" she asked. She felt too tired for patience. She turned back to the console. "Prepare to kill a file," she said to the computer.

"Ok," it replied.

"Don't kill it, Carol," Dell said. "Come on, give us a break."

She almost killed it anyway; Del's flakiness got to her worst when she was exhausted.

"We'll keep it out of your hair from now on, Carol," Vance said. "I promise."

Vance never said anything he did not mean. Carol relented.

"Oh-all right. What's the file name?"

"BH," Del said.

"Got one in there called BS, too?" David asked.

Del grinned sheepishly. Carol accessed one of the smaller lab computers.

"Uh, Carol," Del said, "I don't think it'll fit in that one."

"How big is it?"

"Well...about fifty megs."

"Christ on a crutch!" David said. "The program that swallowed Saturn."

From the novelization of TWOK. They were playing a game in the Genesis computer because it was the only one large enough to hold it. Later, that's what they leave for Khan to find.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe those were megaquads

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

It's true, even if they called them tapes at first, it was pretty forward-thinking.

Using "gigaquads" instead of any recognizable unit for memory in TNG was brilliant because otherwise they almost certainly would have chosen a laughably small amount that would have aged terribly.

Hey, for all we know they'll invent future storage mediums that are super-advanced tapes.

But yeah, having full on :techno: is actually a really good idea for sci-fi it turns out because distancing yourself from known modern terms makes people suspend their disbelief easier and can age better as everything cutting-edge inevitably becomes obsolete.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You're a quad.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure that the implication of their storage mediums was that somehow data was physically inscribed analog on transparent crystals, rather than there being circuitry inside the crystals with like a rewritable USB drive.

Isolinear chips could maybe be analogous to SD cards (the actual current modern storage medium), but I think the idea there was that they were actually microprocessors rather than storage mediums. Why you would want those to be easily removable is anyone's guess.

I don't know if they actually meaningfully depict wireless networking much as opposed to just not depicting wired connections. That's probably more of thing where it's cheaper and easier to not include wires as props.

I think the original series did depict floppy disks like a year or two before they were invented.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure that the implication of their storage mediums was that somehow data was physically inscribed analog on transparent crystals, rather than there being circuitry inside the crystals with like a rewritable USB drive.

Isolinear chips could maybe be analogous to SD cards (the actual current modern storage medium), but I think the idea there was that they were actually microprocessors rather than storage mediums. Why you would want those to be easily removable is anyone's guess.

Well, to get insufferably technical, all data is "physically inscribed" using some method or other, whether that's with holes in punch cards, magnetic states on a tape or disk, an optical reflection pattern on a CD, or the electrical state of MOSFETs in an SSD. Does it really matter on a fundamental level whether the electronics for low-level reading and writing of the actual data stay with the medium itself (as with a USB drive) or stay on the computer (as with a CD)?

Besides, isolinear stuff was definitely rewritable, or it wouldn't have been such a big deal to get the optolythic data rod that could be written once and then never altered.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

They did give a hard figure for Data’s storage capacity, which worked out to like 100 petabytes. Which isn’t terribly small.

That's still pretty dang impressive considering he's (probably) packing all of that (and the thinky bits too) in his head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Of course Voyager fucks that up by being totally inconsistent and using values of quad that are literally millions of times or so what the computer of the Enterprise-D had in total, they'd be like 'we've gathered twenty million teraquads of data on the gizmomajig!'

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Of course Voyager fucks that up by being totally inconsistent and using values of quad that are literally millions of times or so what the computer of the Enterprise-D had in total, they'd be like 'we've gathered twenty million teraquads of data on the gizmomajig!'
Those were metric quads

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also they couldn't possibly have predicted it, but quantum computing would basically be tailor-made for intricate math problems like "calculate how to fold space properly," and the processing power of those would be orders of magnitude higher than any current computers we have.

Honestly, I like the fact that The Orville calls it Quantum Drive instead of Warp, and IIRC at one point one of the engineers flat-out states that they're using quantum computers to perform unimaginable numbers of calculations for the Quantum Drive to operate safely.

Star Wars also kind of addresses the complexity of interstellar travel - in a lot of the books the answer to "why does it take so long to go to hyperdrive" is basically "because the computer has to figure out a course that avoids the billions of other stars/objects between Here and There and that takes some time" (which was another eye-roll in Rise of Skywalker when a gigantic rag-tag fleet does a series of instant, blind jumps with pinpoint accuracy)

e: also they have gravity-well generator ships that will literally yank a ship out of hyperdrive which I always thought was kind of a neat concept

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also they couldn't possibly have predicted it, but quantum computing would basically be tailor-made for intricate math problems like "calculate how to fold space properly," and the processing power of those would be orders of magnitude higher than any current computers we have.

Well, power when processing work that can be expressed as a certain specific class of mathematical problems that quantum computers are meant to solve for. For equations outside that class, quantum computing ability provides no benefit.