Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

None of the moves the rams have made in the last 18 months have been anything short of disastrous. Sean McVay hasnt adapted his offense, todd gurley contract is a disaster, jared goff contract is a disaster, the trades they've made haven't panned out, they fired the one guy who was consistently good I mean.. They have a very 2014 49ers feel where they just destroy everything that made the team any good for stupid reasons.

adaz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

As punishment for his cheating, belichick should be forced to coach the team with the worst record the year prior

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

As punishment for his cheating, belichick should be forced to coach the team with the worst record the year prior

Once we upload his consciousness into the AI (or complete his lichhood, I can't remember which), this could be a staple of the NFL's parity system

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

adaz posted:

None of the moves the rams have made in the last 18 months have been anything short of disastrous. Sean McVay hasnt adapted his offense, todd gurley contract is a disaster, jared goff contract is a disaster, the trades they've made haven't panned out, they fired the one guy who was consistently good I mean.. They have a very 2014 49ers feel where they just destroy everything that made the team any good for stupid reasons.

They're went heavily win now and it's biting them in the rear end. They'll need to clear cap space sooner than later especially if they want that offensive line to be effective enough for Goff to be effective. They've got no firsts till what 2024?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

adaz posted:

Yeah it's been a bit grim, although some of that stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, like Gurley's contract. It's a lot of money but in the end it doesn't really matter.

The Rams were still a very very good offense this year (7th in points scored, just behind the Chiefs) but the rest of the NFL got better faster imo. What I don't like the most is all of these draft picks they've sacrificed. I love drafts and what they can do for your team so I hate them giving away first round picks like they aren't poo poo.

Extending Goff I'm ambivalent about. At the moment they don't have anyone better and they can cut bait when they want to, so I'm fine with that

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I love the implication that McVay did some deep soul searching after the Super Bowl and came to the conclusion that ir was the defense's fault.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They're went heavily win now and it's biting them in the rear end. They'll need to clear cap space sooner than later especially if they want that offensive line to be effective enough for Goff to be effective. They've got no firsts till what 2024?

Going heavily into win now mode while Goff's contract is cheap is one thing but the complete gutting of everything including draft picks is going to make it really hard to sustain a roster that isn't 5 stars and 40 rookies.

Play posted:

Yeah it's been a bit grim, although some of that stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, like Gurley's contract. It's a lot of money but in the end it doesn't really matter.

The Rams were still a very very good offense this year (7th in points scored, just behind the Chiefs) but the rest of the NFL got better faster imo. What I don't like the most is all of these draft picks they've sacrificed. I love drafts and what they can do for your team so I hate them giving away first round picks like they aren't poo poo.

Extending Goff I'm ambivalent about. At the moment they don't have anyone better and they can cut bait when they want to, so I'm fine with that

As of _right now_ they have all of 20 million in free cap space for next year without a whole lot of obvious cuts. Out of that 186 million dollar cap 5(!!!) players account for well over half of it. The cap hits of Goff, Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Jalen Ramsey, and Brandin Cooks account for 106 million dollars. That is an incredibly top heavy NFL roster especially considering 2 of those (Goff & Gurley) underperformed and you could argue so did Cooks.

pre:
 Total Cap Liabilities: $186,379,502

Top 51: $185,957,705Team Cap Space: $21,871,744

Offense: $109,483,946
Defense: $70,811,759
Special: $5,662,00

adaz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 7, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Simplex posted:

I love the implication that McVay did some deep soul searching after the Super Bowl and came to the conclusion that ir was the defense's fault.

To be fair, the Rams would’ve won the Super Bowl if the defense held Tom Brady to zero points.

Of course they also would’ve won the Super Bowl if their high-scoring offense scored a couple touchdowns but details.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I gonna enjoy the Cult of McVay blowing up in the next couple years

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Uhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1214372945021296640?s=19

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lmao all yours

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Please god. I want to see what the notoriously disciplined Schwartz does with Baker and Garrett.

We know he wont get it though. He's just fulfills the Rooney Rule requirement for goblins.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Chichevache posted:

Please god. I want to see what the notoriously disciplined Schwartz does with Baker and Garrett.

We know he wont get it though. He's just fulfills the Rooney Rule requirement for goblins.

That rule, of course, was fulfilled by the Browns last year with Greggggg.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Play posted:

Once we upload his consciousness into the AI (or complete his lichhood, I can't remember which), this could be a staple of the NFL's parity system

Man that would rule.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

pasaluki posted:

Man that would rule.

It would just be an endless loop of "Upload Sideline/Pratice Footage from Past 4 Weeks to Continue."

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

gently caress YEAH DO IT!!!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

OxySnake posted:

It would just be an endless loop of "Upload Sideline/Pratice Footage from Past 4 Weeks to Continue."

Belichick's mind on a 3.5 floppy

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
In reading his wiki page I was reminded that Schwartz asked his Bills players to carry him off the field when they beat the Lions. Aim for the stars Cleveland.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Schwartz is perfect for the Browns let's do it. Interview one of the Ryan's to see if they want to coach again too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hilariously, Schwartz would be the first non-interim Lions coach in the Superbowl era to go on to coach another team.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

Simplex posted:

Seriously, I think it's less Wade Phillips leaving in and of itself that should be concerning, and more that this move seems fairly inexplicable. I think that should raise alarm bells as it means there's a lot of delusion going on in the org. It could be that McVay is scapegoating Phillips, it could be that ownership is pigshit stupid and doesn't do 'analytics', but the long and short of it is that there's not really a kind or generous explanation for this decision.

I think in general, NFL fans and analysts as a whole dramatically understate the impact of ownership on team success. The Browns are the best example, as are the Cowboys, but I think history is going to be very unkind to Kraft's decision to retain Brady and dump Jimmy G. Kroenke is, regardless of how the team did for a few years here, the man who hired Jeff Fisher. In other words, dehumanize yourself, etc, etc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So the Josh McDaniels schedule dropped:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1214389108392517637

Browns could be saved by being last in line if one of the earlier teams convinces him. And/or Josh could be saved from the Browns I guess.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Browns could be saved by being last in line if one of the earlier teams convinces him. And/or Josh could be saved from the Browns I guess.
https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/1214326351475412992

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

So the Josh McDaniels schedule dropped:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1214389108392517637

Jimmy has a blank check with Josh McDaniels name on it surrounded by hearts and a rumor going around he'd fire DePodesta if McDaniels wants it. I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels agent had the Browns scheduled last for bargaining power.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Being saddled with Gettleman and Jones has to make the Giants job be the worst option out there, right? Browns are a mess but at least they are a mess with talent and a QB who seemed like a hit a year ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Being saddled with Gettleman and Jones has to make the Giants job be the worst option out there, right? Browns are a mess but at least they are a mess with talent and a QB who seemed like a hit a year ago.

The New York media is also poison

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There might be a chance if the Gettelman/Jones/computer folks alliance fails that the next Giants coach could get a fresh start. I don't feel like the Maras want to be one of those franchises with four coaches in six years.

At least you don't have to answer to Snyder, Haslam, or Jerruh.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Simplex posted:

Isn't the implication "McVay realized how much better a coach Belicheck was after the SB, and how he'd need to learn to adapt to thrive, and Wade's MO is the opposite of that, so barring a deep playoff run he'd just let the contract expire"?

If Wade were being thrown under the bus, then I'd expect a lot more anonymous leaks starting immediately after they were eliminated from a wild card berth. Instead it's a 5-tweet description with details and attributions over a week after their season ended.

I agree with the view that the contracts and trades did not work out in their favor, but isn't McVay's reported position exactly what we clamor for every year? Less of the old boys club mentality and doubling down on old school methods, and more willingness to explore unfamiliar areas and develop new approaches?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If the Browns pick Schwartz over Greg Roman, contract the team.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I know, but his NFL head coaching career was something of a punchline before he went to the NCAA. He wasn't an NFL head coaching candidate in 2010 because of what he did in the 80's and 90's, it was because of his USC record.

And he was USC's 5th option, it was one of the more publicly bungled HC searches in recent history, and the boosters were apparently pretty pissed about hiring an NFL washout

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

dont give me hope for another Jim Tomsula like that.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

kalensc posted:

Isn't the implication "McVay realized how much better a coach Belicheck was after the SB, and how he'd need to learn to adapt to thrive, and Wade's MO is the opposite of that, so barring a deep playoff run he'd just let the contract expire"?

If Wade were being thrown under the bus, then I'd expect a lot more anonymous leaks starting immediately after they were eliminated from a wild card berth. Instead it's a 5-tweet description with details and attributions over a week after their season ended.

I agree with the view that the contracts and trades did not work out in their favor, but isn't McVay's reported position exactly what we clamor for every year? Less of the old boys club mentality and doubling down on old school methods, and more willingness to explore unfamiliar areas and develop new approaches?

The biggest weakness of Belichick's system is that team's playing sound, fundamental football can exploit strength on strength matchups. His jack-of-all trade role players can't stand up to sustained pressure.

So not only did he get outcoached in the game, he doesn't really understand how or why he lost and is continuing to get outcoached.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Simplex posted:

The biggest weakness of Belichick's system is that team's playing sound, fundamental football can exploit strength on strength matchups. His jack-of-all trade role players can't stand up to sustained pressure.

So not only did he get outcoached in the game, he doesn't really understand how or why he lost and is continuing to get outcoached.

there’s also the fact that just from a scoring perspective, the rams defense got better while playing a way harder schedule while the rams’ second ranked scoring offense dropped to eleventh (and the run game changed from one of the best in the nfl to one of the worst in one offseason)

i’d buy the argument that the defense was never amazing and the offense covered up a lot of mistakes but that feels overly simplistic and apologetic to mcvay

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We could also probably just say the offensive line had a lot of change, Goff isn’t that good, and gurley is dead.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sounds dumb, but I always sense a sort of tension when someone as old and accomplished as Wade has to report to someone as young and green as McVay.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vulgarian posted:

I think history is going to be very unkind to Kraft's decision to retain Brady and dump Jimmy G.

I mean after they moved Jimmy G they went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 of them and Brady won MVP while Jimmy G started 8 games total.

Let's see Jimmy G accomplish literally anything first.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fsif posted:

Sounds dumb, but I always sense a sort of tension when someone as old and accomplished as Wade has to report to someone as young and green as McVay.

wade seems like the one nfl coach that would have zero problems with that but i also don’t know what goes on in the rams coaching meetings

FizFashizzle posted:

We could also probably just say the offensive line had a lot of change, Goff isn’t that good, and gurley is dead.

well yeah but all that’s objectively true and i’d rather baselessly speculate (although goff is probably fine and had a down year because of those other two things you mentioned)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FizFashizzle posted:

And they were still a couple breaks from the playoffs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

And they were still a couple breaks from the playoffs.

So were the cowboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

sean10mm posted:

I mean after they moved Jimmy G they went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 of them and Brady won MVP while Jimmy G started 8 games total.

Let's see Jimmy G accomplish literally anything first.

Jimmy G is QB of the 1 seed in the NFC, while Tom Brady lost to the Tennessee Titans in the Wildcard Round.