Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Thump! posted:

Yeah, it sucks. I’m one of those troops in country at the moment. I can’t relate too many specifics but uh, yeah we have no clue what the hell is going on.

poo poo, goon friend. stay safe. i will ask is it as tense as it looks like it is? because i feel like poo poo could pop at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Count Roland posted:

On the other hand, its possible Trump does actually withdraw all at once, drat the consquences. He could say its a victory, that he's bringing the troops home, no more ME wars, peace maker and all that jazz. It makes a certain sort of sense in the short term: US troops in Iraq are the ones likeliest to come under fire as part of an Iranian response, but you can't target them if they all leave.

Of course all this has all sorts of problems with it, but its the sort of simplistic thinking Trump may glom on to. Or the opposite, who knows.

It has some issues that would have to be ironed out but the US completely leaving the middle east would be an unobjective Good Thing.

Let Russia and China take their turn playing around in the graveyard of empires.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thump! posted:

Yeah, it sucks. I’m one of those troops in country at the moment. I can’t relate too many specifics but uh, yeah we have no clue what the hell is going on.

I hope it works out for you. Stay safe but don't commit any war crimes!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

No, I'd say quite the opposite. KSA wants a war between the US and Iran, because Iran is its arch-nemesis but it is far too weak to fight Iran on its own. Yes, KSA will likely take some hits if things escalate, but for damage being done to Iran the Saudis would pay a high price indeed. MBS is probably egging Trump on.

The Saudis are going 'whoa, whoa, slow down.' I think that refinery strike reminded them of just how fragile their country is.

https://twitter.com/lizsly/status/1213974129000534018?s=21

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

It has some issues that would have to be ironed out but the US completely leaving the middle east would be an unobjective Good Thing.

Let Russia and China take their turn playing around in the graveyard of empires.

Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires, not the middle east.

The ME is like the natural home of empires; its unusual for there not to be a powerful based there. A great deal of the chaos there is a result of the power vacuum caused by the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which has yet to be really filled.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The fact that all of the international buddies that Trump must have been sure would be right behind him in any Iran conflict are telling him to loving stop will hopefully give the whole situation some pause.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires, not the middle east.

The ME is like the natural home of empires; its unusual for there not to be a powerful based there. A great deal of the chaos there is a result of the power vacuum caused by the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which has yet to be really filled.

It’s telling that the Ottoman Empire only needed a small contingent to garrison Iraq, whereas the us needs a whole army

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The fact that all of the international buddies that Trump must have been sure would be right behind him in any Iran conflict are telling him to loving stop will hopefully give the whole situation some pause.

Oh I bet at least a couple buddies are egging him on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i am mixed. i think a bunch of the cabinent and advisors are telling him to loving DO IT. but bibi and House Saude are smart enough to realize they will get hosed if this goes off. i think trump got himself stuck in this dumb hell situation. and he is gonna get hell from the assholes of the world either move he does.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

It’s telling that the Ottoman Empire only needed a small contingent to garrison Iraq, whereas the us needs a whole army

The US is really, really good at getting people to hate our loving guts, and then sticking a bunch of soldiers in their countries for target practice.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo, goon friend. stay safe. i will ask is it as tense as it looks like it is? because i feel like poo poo could pop at any moment.

Everyone is kind of on edge, and we’re in and out of bunkers constantly, but we’re ready for whatever happens. We’re mostly waiting on word to boogie out of the country.

1glitch0 posted:

I hope it works out for you. Stay safe but don't commit any war crimes!

Haha, will do. I’m not a SEAL or predator pilot or nothing, so I don’t really have any desire or opportunities to do war crimes.

I’m mostly pissed that all of this stuff is going on with Iran (because of Trump) instead of us doing the mission we were sent here for. I came here to fight ISIS, not Iran or Iraq.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking/status/1214373489441792001

https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking/status/1214426452243832832

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1214440318189416451

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 7, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Darth Walrus posted:

The Saudis are going 'whoa, whoa, slow down.' I think that refinery strike reminded them of just how fragile their country is.

https://twitter.com/lizsly/status/1213974129000534018?s=21

loving hilarious. All the Chickenhawk bullshit Bibi spent a decade and MBS spent the last 4ish years doing to murder any tiny fragment of detente with Iran that was managed in the Obama years, and now that the dogs have caught the car they realized its going to rip their entire spine out when they bite down.

In a just world those two bastards would be hung for their parts in bringing their nations this close to oblivion for nothing. Also all their other crimes, but this one is the most immediately pertinent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You know you hosed up when even Saudi Arabia and Israel, two absolutely insane governments who lust for Iran's destruction are saying "whoa hey let's not get too hasty here."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I bet bibi is still chanting in the background "Fight! Fight! Fight! ".

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You know you hosed up when even Saudi Arabia and Israel, two absolutely insane governments who lust for Iran's destruction are saying "whoa hey let's not get too hasty here."

I doubt that sentiment has changed. Looking less like the aggressor in a fight with Iran will only help their cause. Words from any of these governments aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on, will have to see what actions they take.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

I see what you're trying to do, but people (regular people and historians making assumptions it seems) have to stop portraying Ottoman history this way, because it really isn't based in reality, but only a simplistic portrayal based on limited use of sources and ignorance. For pretty much the entirety of the 18th and 19th century the Ottoman Empire was engaged in constant low intensity warfare that put a tremendous strain on the army and the society, in particular this was in the Balkans and Albania, in southern and costal Syria and especially in Yemen. The government may as well not have existed in the peripheral and tribal areas and any attempt to change this typically ended in violence, this also went for the Kurdish tribal areas which were a bit more friendly (compared to the Bedouin, Alawites and Druze at least) and had more of an "allied" relationship to the government and army (though were also committed to ruling themselves). Iraq wasn't the trouble spot it is today a century ago, but this was also before the true onset of nationalism in the Middle East and a time when the population of Iraq (and the Middle East as a whole) was significantly lower than it is today also, going back the 18th century and back, Iraq had spent quite alot of time being a battleground that frequently switched sides in the battle between the Ottomans and their Iranian rivals.

e: Alawites not Yazidis (well, kind of Yazidis as well, but the Alawites or Nusayris as they were often known back then were a lot of trouble for the Ottoman central and provincial authorities).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/TheSpense/status/1214336525896495104

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

:laffo: if the us need to back a coup to stay in Irak because of that poo poo.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

The Ottoman Empire didn’t have any particularly firm grip on Iraq, they were limited to a few garrisons in Mosul and Baghdad and Basra, and caravan guards and the post office crew. Getting from Harran to Mosul is probably safer today than at basically any point in Ottoman times. They were never able to stop the annual Bedouin raids from the Hejaz, and regular Yazidi and Kurdish raids on the plains, and caravans always had to travel in large numbers and heavy guard. There was no sort of "Pax Ottomania" in what is currently Iraq.They controlled Iraq in the way that European powers controlled most African countries in the early 1900s. Turkish rule was always garrison driven and unstable, at least from 1750-on. I haven’t read (or heard of) much written about Mesopotamia between like 1600 and when the Europeans first started getting there through Basra.

They only used a small garrison but it’s not like they were really in anything besides nominal control of the country either. Regional rulers in the Ottoman Empire had the real power, even in places more nominally accessible like Lebanon, where rulers like Bashir Shihab were far more relevant than whoever the sultan was. At least until the Tanzimat, but that centralization caused no shortage of civil war within the empire.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

1glitch0 posted:

I have no love for THE TROOPS! but imagine being a troop in this situation where you literally don't know what the gently caress is happening? Are we packing our bags to evacuate or... go to war? The Trump administration is so loving incompetent it's almost beyond belief.

Just smoke a lot of weed to calm yourself and get discharged from duty.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

I haven’t read (or heard of) much written about Mesopotamia between like 1600 and when the Europeans first started getting there through Basra.

Well in the 16th and 17th century (and beyond) it really was stuff like this that sticks through as the most significant when it comes to Mesopotamia (and eastern Anatolia and the Caucasus).

Ottoman-Safavid War 1532-1555
Ottoman-Safavid War 1578-1590
Ottoman-Safavid War 1603-1618
Ottoman-Safavid War 1623-1639

Though this series of wars eventually ended up in the Ottomans wresting control of Iraq (and in the 17th century the Safavids began to disintegrate, which is part of the reason you don't see another war with Iran until Nader Shah takes control in the 18th century), it seems to have had a drastic impact on the population and agriculture and resulted in nomads encroaching on and seizing control of what used to be agricultural lands, nomads the Ottomans never really managed to effectively control. Though they did attempt, with varying degrees of success, to more or less forcibly settle nomads as agricultarlists in the 19th century after they wrested back some actual degree of control from a Mamluk dynasty which had effectively controlled Iraq from the mid-18th century (who had also undertaken attempts at modernization, settlement and agricultural reform).

e: The last war in the list above is important because it's essentially the basis of the modern day borders between Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Also kind of interesting to note that it effectively ended a very long trend of Iranian empires controlling (and typically ruling from) Mesopotamia, even though it was never considered an actual part of Iran.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 7, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Terrible news, not just for the dead and their families, but I feel like this puts more pressure on their government to take major action.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1214484923702239233

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Well in the 16th and 17th century (and beyond) it really was stuff like this that sticks through as the most significant when it comes to Mesopotamia (and eastern Anatolia and the Caucasus).

Ottoman-Safavid War 1532-1555
Ottoman-Safavid War 1578-1590
Ottoman-Safavid War 1603-1618
Ottoman-Safavid War 1623-1639

Though this series of wars eventually ended up in the Ottomans wresting control of Iraq (and in the 17th century the Safavids began to disintegrate, which is part of the reason you don't see another war with Iran until Nader Shah takes control in the 18th century), it seems to have had a drastic impact on the population and agriculture and resulted in nomads encroaching on and seizing control of what used to be agricultural lands, nomads the Ottomans never really managed to effectively control. Though they did attempt, with varying degrees of success, to more or less forcibly settle nomads as agricultarlists in the 19th century after they wrested back some actual degree of control from a Mamluk dynasty which had effectively controlled Iraq from the mid-18th century (who had also undertaken attempts at modernization, settlement and agricultural reform).

e: The last war in the list above is important because it's essentially the basis of the modern day borders between Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Also kind of interesting to note that it effectively ended a very long trend of Iranian empires controlling (and typically ruling from) Mesopotamia, even though it was never considered an actual part of Iran.

Thanks, I hadn't even read much Wiki about it and I'm reading through those now. I've read a lot of books about Ottoman Mesopotamia from the 1750s onward, but any particular books you'd recommend, or should I just look at the sources on those Wiki pages? Of course Iraq has had some golden periods where it was super stable and safe for long periods of time, but that seems to have not been the case at any point since like... the Mongol invasions?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't look into the actual map so I am just asking in the dark. Was the dominance of the various Persian empire aided by the geography? Did the Persians dominanted the surrounding area because their had easy to defense hilly terrain and also easy to invade the Mesopotamian plates?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Without knowing anything specific about Iran amd history, I think I'd mention that the polisci types that I know hold "Geography is destiny" as a maxim.

As in, your geography is going to determine your entire foreign policy. So I'd say, very tentatively, that yes, the geography did a lot to help the Persians.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

Thanks, I hadn't even read much Wiki about it and I'm reading through those now. I've read a lot of books about Ottoman Mesopotamia from the 1750s onward, but any particular books you'd recommend, or should I just look at the sources on those Wiki pages? Of course Iraq has had some golden periods where it was super stable and safe for long periods of time, but that seems to have not been the case at any point since like... the Mongol invasions?

Try earlier actually. Alot of stuff attributed to the Mongol invasion (which was violent to be sure) such as depopulation, the decline of the canal system and loss of agricultural lands actually happened back in the 10th century when the Abbasid Empire was falling apart, and though things had recovered to some extent by the time the Mongols came around (and did again between the Mongols seizing control and that falling apart and Tamerlanes sack in 1401) Iraq remained politicallly irrelevant (in terms of having power) and relatively impoverished, caught between rival empires or successor states. It seems to be a widespread statement that the Mongols sacked Baghdad in 1258 at the height of its splendor, but this is just plain wrong. Again we're probably dealing with historians not specializing in the area and not being aware of sources to inform them on it just making the sweeping assumption that because they aren't aware of things that happened that means everything must have been nice and stable and resembling the glory days they at least have heard of.

As for books. I've never read anything particularly about Iraq in the early modern (or medieval for that sake), but I'll recommend one of my all time favorite books which is A History of Islamic Societies by Ira M. Lapidus which is essentially a social history for the entire Islamic world (split up into sections dealing with specific regions, states, and areas as well as subjects such as political history and social-religious history). It's general, but it's also very big and manages to convey alot of information in relatively short terms. If you're at all interested in the history of the Islamic world it's a great book to look up something and get you going from there. Another one I'll recommend which deals more specifically with the Ottoman Empire and its wars in Ottoman Wars , 1700-1870 by Virginia Aksan. It's a book intended for an academic audience, so it's not the most riveting of reads but I think it does a good job of looking at Ottoman attempts at administrative and military reform in the midst of the challenges faced in this period, especially of trying to introduce reforms in the provinces and fighting wars with a barely functioning conscription system (in 19th century).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'd note though, that it's not as though Persian/Iranian dominance of the region has been some sort of historical constant - after the Arab conquest, Persia would be under foreign rule for almost nine centuries, under the Caliphate, the Seljuk Empire, the Mongols, the Timurids, and any number of minor Turkic and Mongol rulers.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214409010780221441?s=19

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214411063724322816?s=19

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214411827821588480?s=19

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214414398728613888?s=19

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214414628500979713?s=19

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1214416652151984130?s=19

Still looking for more sources to verify this but if this thread is true, it's jawdropping :stare:.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bowser posted:

Still looking for more sources to verify this but if this thread is true, it's jawdropping :stare:.

This would be really easy to deny by Trump by just saying "nope", I hope Abdul-Mahdi can present something concrete to support his statement. An actual recording would be golden.

e: oops, didn't mean to make a :pisstape: joke :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The allegations are pretty wild.

quote:

> So to summarise, & to get this straight, the US has:
> - refused to finish reconstructing the country they destroyed
> - demanded 50% of all oil revenues from Iraq in exchange for finishing this work (gangster-style)
> - lost their mind when Iraq looked to China instead
> - demanded that Iraq rescind the agreement, & upon rejection, fomented mass protests
> - demanded anew, and this time when rejected again, stationed Marines snipers to take out protestors and security men
> - threatened to KILL the caretaker PM and the MoD if word of this got out

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I'd note though, that it's not as though Persian/Iranian dominance of the region has been some sort of historical constant - after the Arab conquest, Persia would be under foreign rule for almost nine centuries, under the Caliphate, the Seljuk Empire, the Mongols, the Timurids, and any number of minor Turkic and Mongol rulers.

There's a lot of similiarities in geographical extent and administration between the Abbasid Empire and the preceding Sassanid Empire, down to ruling from Baghdad which was built very close to the site of Ctesiphon, the Sassanid administrative capital (which was built close to Seleuceia, which was built close to Babylon). The Seljuks also were essentially based out of Western Iran when they established their empire (ruling mostly out of Isfahan and Hamadan). The Safavids themselves who are regarded as a native dynasty were of mixed Kurdish and Turkish descent and came from Azerbayjian by way of Eastern Anatolia. There's also a reason the term "Persia" is inaccurate and doesn't simply refer to older history, Persia is really only one region in Iran, in the south, called "Fars" (which just means Persia), and Persian-speakers themselves make up around 60% of the country, with around 20% being Azeris (that is Turks) and another 10% being Kurds, and then you have a smattering of other groups (including Arabs, both because several were settled in Khorasan way back when and because Iran still controls a part of Iraq they held onto during the wars with Turkey).

I think the thing with Iraq though has more to do with Near Eastern empires in general and the suitability of Mesopotamia as the center of a large, sprawling empire, than any sort of geographic determinance as regards Iran, because there's been many other empires who were not Iranian natives (or natives of Mesopotamia) who ruled empires in the Near East and ruled them out of one or more capital cities in Mesopotamia.*

*I think you could say that this sort of ends with the collapse of the Abbasid Empire, which sees the center of power moving east towards Iran and Central Asia. Probably due to the impoverishment of Iraq and the conversion and migration of the Turkic tribes in Central Asia. This is also when you have the Persian literary renaissance which sees Persian firmly established as a language of poetry and administration which spreads into Central Asia and India, by way of patronage by Turkic dynasties. This is not something that was the case before. The Persian language was not very widespread before this, the Achaemenids' primary administrative language was Aramaic, with Greek also being important in Anatolia, the Parthians ruled their empire using Greek. The Sassanids used Persian (and Aramaic), but this never really penetrated out of Western Iran, and in Eastern Iran their control was always very tenuous to begin with, and local eastern Iranian languages predominated (Persian is a western Iranian language), especially Sogdian as a language of trade, while Aramaic and Greek still remained in use as administrative languages to varying degrees.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 7, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

1glitch0 posted:

I have no love for THE TROOPS! but imagine being a troop in this situation where you literally don't know what the gently caress is happening? Are we packing our bags to evacuate or... go to war? The Trump administration is so loving incompetent it's almost beyond belief.

Still not as bad as that time they heard they had to get the gently caress out of Syria forthwith over twitter.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Demiurge4 posted:

The allegations are pretty wild.
If these allegations are evenly partly true you can see why Trump loves Gallagher.

Although I have my doubts purely because from all available evidence it seems extremely unlikely that a coward like Trump would have the balls to directly threaten to kill someone he was talking to.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Flayer posted:

If these allegations are evenly partly true you can see why Trump loves Gallagher.

Although I have my doubts purely because from all available evidence it seems extremely unlikely that a coward like Trump would have the balls to directly threaten to kill someone he was talking to.

It’s not so hard to believe when you remember that brown people aren’t people and cant be allowed to stand up to a rich white guy.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Bel Shazar posted:

It’s not so hard to believe when you remember that brown people aren’t people and cant be allowed to stand up to a rich white guy.
Maybe but I'd more likely believe if it was someone else from the US military or administration delivering threats rather than from Trump directly. I'd also question how the US would foment rioting/protests seeing as everyone in the region hates them and I think that is more likely to have happened organically.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bowser posted:

So here's what the US empire looks like with it's mask off.

If you enjoyed this, I recommend also reading Killing Hope.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flayer posted:

I'd also question how the US would foment rioting/protests seeing as everyone in the region hates them and I think that is more likely to have happened organically.

That's definitely the thing that has me the most skeptical. These were huge protests over legitimate issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

So here's what the US empire looks like with it's mask off.

If you enjoyed this, I recommend also reading Killing Hope.

If this is true, it's no wonder Trump has been burying his call records in a codeword level NSA server.