Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pablo Bluth posted:

While The Internet shat all over the R (and later the RP) when first announced, there seems to be a lot more positivity toward them now. Even if it's giving up some stuff on the spec sheet, Canon do know how to make a system that 'just works' and in the long run that wins people over. Plus it helps they dropped the prices!

Personally I think it's crazy to pick a system based on the specs of individual bodies. Unless you want to be constantly swapping your entire kit bag, you need to pick on the long-term factors; lens ecosystem, system philosophy, camera ergonomics, etc.

The EOS R's first firmwares were abysmal. Canon has, to their credit, improved a lot via firmware update.

Firmware can't fix the stupidity that was the touch control strip, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just sell the 24-70. You’ve got a great native mount lens, so just use that.

Wheres a good place/market to unload it? KEH is a big ripoff. I posted in the sell thread so we'll see?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 6, 2020

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks for the answers so far! Seems like a good recommendation then, I think I'll be going ahead for the mark 2 or 3 depending on prices (winter sale time is due on Wednesday here).

XBenedict posted:

Crap UI, solid cameras. Excellent to travel with. Personally, I don’t like MFT lenses, but there is potential for good photos. The New EM-5 III is allegedly the dogs nuts, but it’s outside your budget.

You can get an older EM-1, 5 or 10 pretty cheap on eBay.

I will say that I think you’ll get more bang for the buck with the Fuji system. You could get a fantastic used X-Pro 1, XT-10, or an X-E3 very reasonably, and add an extra lens.

Just curious, but in which aspects do the Fujis beat the Olympus? The X-E30 looked quite interesting to me, even though it is unfortunately not waterproof... Thanks again!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

Just curious, but in which aspects do the Fujis beat the Olympus? The X-E30 looked quite interesting to me, even though it is unfortunately not waterproof... Thanks again!

Fuji high points include: The controls are fun and focused on trying to get users to be in the moment. As well, there's a lot of good native lenses for the system -- and at high and low price points. The "Fujicron" 16, 23, 35 and 50 primes are fantastic value. The 18-55 zoom that comes as a common kit is actually quite good. And the biggest point for the Fujis is the JPEG quality -- there are various 'film simulations' which seek to replicate the color tones and styles of various old film stocks. If you're lazy like me, you can often just take the JPEGs without editing straight out of the camera.

Olympus and the Micro Four-Thirds cameras have a lot to recommend them too, so the staff at the shop led you down a good road too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Chikimiki posted:

harperdc posted:

Fuji high points include: The controls are fun and focused on trying to get users to be in the moment. As well, there's a lot of good native lenses for the system -- and at high and low price points. The "Fujicron" 16, 23, 35 and 50 primes are fantastic value. The 18-55 zoom that comes as a common kit is actually quite good. And the biggest point for the Fujis is the JPEG quality -- there are various 'film simulations' which seek to replicate the color tones and styles of various old film stocks. If you're lazy like me, you can often just take the JPEGs without editing straight out of the camera.

Olympus and the Micro Four-Thirds cameras have a lot to recommend them too, so the staff at the shop led you down a good road too.

These are all solid points. The menu system is also quite excellent, and the camera itself is very customizable.

As to weather resistance, you can get a used X-T2 for under your budget no problem, if it's that big of a deal to you. It's slightly larger than the X-E3, but it also has a ton of extra features that are boss as hell. The F2 lenses that harperdc pointed out are all weather-resistant as well (though the 18-55 "kit lens" is not), so you can get a pretty compact WR kit for little money.

The MFT system is fine too. Panasonic and Oly both make fine MFT bodies. IMO, Panasonic makes the better lenses though. I've had an MFT Oly system before, it was incredibly compact and lightweight, but everything felt just a little chintzy. The lower end lenses, particularly the two most common kit zooms, are nearly 100% plastic.

Ultimately, it's all down to personal preference. You may drop this bomb in the Mirrorless Thread as well. You will get many more divisive opinions there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

XBenedict posted:

Ultimately, it's all down to personal preference. You may drop this bomb in the Mirrorless Thread as well. You will get many more divisive opinions there.

I'm a relative newcomer to that thread, but in my limited exposure it seems like it's mercifully free of the brand loyalty wars that plague so much of the rest of the internet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

I'm a relative newcomer to that thread, but in my limited exposure it seems like it's mercifully free of the brand loyalty wars that plague so much of the rest of the internet.

There's no war in it because 98% of the posts are about fuji

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DJExile posted:

You wanna fight about it?!?!?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DJExile posted:

We ate all of the MFT owners, and the Nikon and Canon mirrorless owners don't exist.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Speaking of fuji superiority, can anyone recommend a bag to fit a gfx 50s with a grip and 2 lenses? Along with accoutrements for tethering, spare batteries, and a 13" laptop would be fantastic. I haven't shopped for bags in a long time and most bag reviews are for tiny mirrorless or regular DSLR sizes, not us savages out here beasting with huge medium format mirrorless :smug:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

red19fire posted:

Speaking of fuji superiority, can anyone recommend a bag to fit a gfx 50s with a grip and 2 lenses? Along with accoutrements for tethering, spare batteries, and a 13" laptop would be fantastic. I haven't shopped for bags in a long time and most bag reviews are for tiny mirrorless or regular DSLR sizes, not us savages out here beasting with huge medium format mirrorless :smug:

I don't have a GFX, but I do carry two bodies and 6 lenses, along with a laptop in this baby. It should suit your needs. Tenba4Lyfe

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't a GFX50s close enough to a DSLR size that it should work well with the same bags? It looks to be about the same size but a bit shorter than a full sized DSLR.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

powderific posted:

Isn't a GFX50s close enough to a DSLR size that it should work well with the same bags? It looks to be about the same size but a bit shorter than a full sized DSLR.

It's a bit shorter, but it's deeper. :dadjoke:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The D4, D5, etc are also 91mm thick so anything that fits those should fit a GFX50s fine. Mostly my point is it's close enough to the size of a standard DSL that I don't think you'd really need to look for some kind of unicorn bag for giant bodies.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So the newly announced Nikon 780 is cool.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1612173662/nikon-s-new-d780-is-a-z6-in-a-familiar-dslr-body

But for reasons I can only imagine are dumb market segmentation ones, they didn't give it a joystick.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
D750 and D800/810 didn't have one either. If it's any consolation, I think the location of the d-pad thing is more convenient on the DSLR shaped bodies and I didn't feel like it added much when I went from the D800 to D850. On the mirrorless bodies it's nice cause the d-pad is in a lower, more awkward spot.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

So the newly announced Nikon 780 is cool.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1612173662/nikon-s-new-d780-is-a-z6-in-a-familiar-dslr-body

But for reasons I can only imagine are dumb market segmentation ones, they didn't give it a joystick.

This is interesting. Better live view and in-body charging are two of the main reasons I have been been thinking about a mirrorless of some sort.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is really cool, but what is the advantage over just a Z6? I'm guessing out of box compatibility with F and an OVF?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dual SD instead of single XQD, Nikon's SLR autofocus, which is probably still better than their on chip, and I'm assuming significantly better battery life. But given the price of the Z6 now it seems kinda pricy.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

Dual SD instead of single XQD, Nikon's SLR autofocus, which is probably still better than their on chip, and I'm assuming significantly better battery life. But given the price of the Z6 now it seems kinda pricy.

The D780 lacks IBIS too.

It makes pretty decent sense to have a small-ish but capable full frame camera that's good at video alongside an über-DSLR like the D850 and the pro machine that is the D6. Covers the DSLR FX segment nicely.

Gotta say the Z lineup is nice though. Looks like Nikon is trying to outdo every F mount lens with the Z mount equivalent. Ergonomics are great and the EVF is the first that I haven't even noticed being an EVF (other than having a lot of info available).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the consensus on the Z6 kit lens as a do-everything master-nothing travel type lens? I’ve been missing a mid range zoom in my lineup and was eyeing the older 28-80 2.8 before I started looking at Z.

I assume the Z6 iso will more than cover any slow max aperture in a lot of situations, and the only thing I’ll really be missing is a shallow DOF wide open, even at FX.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They don't really have one in Z mount yet, unless the 24-70 kit lens is long enough for you. I always liked the 24-120 on my D800, but I think it's kinda big for the Z6 body.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Martytoof posted:

What’s the consensus on the Z6 kit lens as a do-everything master-nothing travel type lens? I’ve been missing a mid range zoom in my lineup and was eyeing the older 28-80 2.8 before I started looking at Z.

I assume the Z6 iso will more than cover any slow max aperture in a lot of situations, and the only thing I’ll really be missing is a shallow DOF wide open, even at FX.

The 24-70 F4 is very good. Sharp, small, and useful at F4. It’s my primary lens. I see zero reason to upgrade to the F2.8.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

They don't really have one in Z mount yet, unless the 24-70 kit lens is long enough for you. I always liked the 24-120 on my D800, but I think it's kinda big for the Z6 body.

Yeah, I put mine up for sale, it felt kind of ridiculous on the Z with the FTZ adapter. Hoping the coming 24-105 Z mount will be nice though, I would not mind an extra 35mm on the long end (that's what she said).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just popped into the shop to try the Z6 and A7iii side by side.

I wish I hadn't. I was all but set on the A7iii but the viewfinder difference is like night and day IMO

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Just popped into the shop to try the Z6 and A7iii side by side.

I wish I hadn't. I was all but set on the A7iii but the viewfinder difference is like night and day IMO

Yeah, the EVF and ergonomics make a big difference. The Z feels like any other decent Nikon body and the EVF doesn't feel like one at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That said, the ergos felt allright to me. I’m going to sleep on it for the next few weeks and see how I feel about the A7iii. If I can live knowing I could have a better EVF I still think it’s a better value for my money. Plus, it might not be a big thing but I’m having a real hard time stomaching the price of XQD cards.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least for now the Z6 is enough cheaper than the A7 III to offset the XQD cost pretty well unless you need a zillion of them or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's within a $100CDN difference here if I want to buy each kit new. I do tend to shoot a lot (though not in rapid succession) so I'd definitely love to get a large capacity xqd or at least a couple. Neither of which will fit in the hundred dollar difference. I'm not really saying it's a make or break thing, I just don't see myself ever needing the faster speed given my shooting style.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, must be different promos. Here it's about $200USD cheaper for the Z6, and it's even bigger difference if you compare with 24-70 f4 kit lenses (although obviously you have a lot more options for the sony)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Really digging this new Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye. Can't wait to take it out during the day.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

I was gifted a Sony A7 III recently with a Tamron 28-75 (https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Mirrorless-Limited-Warranty/dp/B07CSLM1X8/). Its pretty drat awesome - the AF is hella cool.

I'm actually a Canon guy (7D, 5D Mark 2) with a bunch of glass (135 F2L, 85 1.8, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F4L... Canon 580 EXII flash). I bought the Sigma MC-11 adapter and was really surprised at how well it did with the Canon lenses, including Sony's eye AF tracking. I'm still trying to figure out what I should do. I know tons of people are switching from Canon to Sony, but I could do one of several things:

1. Do nothing and enjoy the adapter and slowly sell + replace the canon glass.
2. Return the Sony and Tamron (~$2600) to get a 5D Mark IV. Sell my 5D Mark II and other EF-S lenses I use on my 7D (a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and Tamron 17-50).
3. Return the Tamron and buy some flash accessories for the Sony or just use the cash for PC upgrades.

What do you all think?

edit: I do no video at all - which I know the Sony excels at. I used to do some paid stuff but consider me an advanced amateur/semi-pro.

Quoting this because I'm curious now what to do with the EOS R Mark II rumors.

Assuming the new EOS R MK II has IBIS and fancy eye AF too - would it make sense for me to return the tamron/sony and wait it out for the canon release to see which is better? I could always just re-buy the Sony and Tamron.

I did notice you still have to buy the EF adapter for the EOS R - how does that perform?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you always wait for the next big thing to come out, you'll never buy anything. So it's a great way to save money!

But I wouldn't invest a bunch of money gearing up for Canon quite yet. I think they're turning the ship around but they haven't actually done anything yet.. 2020 is going to be a decisive year for them. If you got Sony stuff, just stick with that until Canon has a good product for sale.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Munkaboo posted:

I did notice you still have to buy the EF adapter for the EOS R - how does that perform?

The canon EF->RF adapters work fine. Autofocus speeds are pretty much exactly the same between my 5D3 and EOS R whether I'm using canon L lenses or sigma ones. If you do end up waiting and buying whatever the new RF body is, just note that canon sells 3 different adapters (lol). A basic one, one that adds the control ring that all the new RF lenses have, and one that lets you use drop-in filters. I have the one with the control ring, but I never actually use it, so the basic one is fine.

All that said, even as someone that owns an EOS R, the sony mirrorless bodies are probably going to be better than whatever canon ends up releasing, so if you like your A7III I'd consider sticking with it especially since you got it for free.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

If you always wait for the next big thing to come out, you'll never buy anything. So it's a great way to save money!

But I wouldn't invest a bunch of money gearing up for Canon quite yet. I think they're turning the ship around but they haven't actually done anything yet.. 2020 is going to be a decisive year for them. If you got Sony stuff, just stick with that until Canon has a good product for sale.

I've already got a ton of canon glass so that wouldnt be an issue.

Sounds like I should just chill and enjoy my awesome A7III.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Boy, if Canon eventually releases a full frame mirrorless body with IBIS I could see myself ditching Sony for them since I've got a fair bit invested in Canon EF lenses. I'd wait a while and buy used though.

The Sigma MC-11 adapter has worked quite well so far, but I bet EF-RF is better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the EF-RF adapters. They just fuckin' work.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

Boy, if Canon eventually releases a full frame mirrorless body with IBIS I could see myself ditching Sony for them since I've got a fair bit invested in Canon EF lenses. I'd wait a while and buy used though.

The Sigma MC-11 adapter has worked quite well so far, but I bet EF-RF is better.

I wonder how IBIS would play with in lens IS do they complement or are you best to turn one off?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s actually my question while I wait for my Sony 24-105 to arrive in the mail. Both the A7iii body and the lens offer stabilization. If I leave both on will they complement each other or will it cause a rift in time and space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

I wonder how IBIS would play with in lens IS do they complement or are you best to turn one off?

Using an EF 24-105 IS connected to my A7II via the MC-11, IBIS is disabled. Not sure about how an actual first party setup would work though. I recall hearing that a stabilized Sony lens on a Sony body will use both systems. Not too sure about that though since I don't have any of those lenses because they cost a brazillian dollars.