Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Zero posted:

So much for “90% written” and three other people working on it with him. :shrug:

I guess he was counting 'me, myself and I.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The dude started the project by passing off someone else's work as his own, if that isn't a red flag to you as a backer...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jenna Moran's Glitch is up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Man, I am so glad to get down to talking about Glitch in earnest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Starting with "FCZB, oof"?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rand Brittain posted:

So what was everything else you were having to say about it?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hostile V posted:

So what was everything else you were having to say about it?

I’ll let you know after work!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

If i'm understanding this rightit seemsa bit of a kick in the nuts to non-us people who want the nice book

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If i'm understanding this rightit seemsa bit of a kick in the nuts to non-us people who want the nice book

My impression is that that’s the current shipping reality for KSers based in the USA, which sucks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Glitch looks really interesting, I always loved the premise of Nobilis and still have my copy of 3e on my RPG shelf. I bought it on a whim years ago from a local bookstore and it's up there with Polaris for "incredible premise that I have no idea how to get players for". Probably in for a physical copy when I get around to it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

My impression is that that’s the current shipping reality for KSers based in the USA, which sucks.

Yeah, it's pretty much either "assume the worst thing the orange maniac can do will happen" or "take a terrible, terrible risk."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, Glitch!

Glitch is another partner game to Nobilis, in which you play as Excrucians. More specifically, you play as Excrucian Strategists, the very angry branch of the Excrucians with the power to erase anything with a hand-wave. Strategists believe that the world is wrong, and they are absolutely determined that the only correct thing to do is get rid of it.

Except for you. Because in Glitch you play as a retired Strategist. One day you got up and left the war behind. Why? Well, it's different for everybody, but the most common reasons are either "there's something in the world I got attached to and can't destroy" or "god, I'm just so damned tired; I can't keep failing to destroy the world for another thousand years; I need to move on."

So, you know. You go on with your life, such as it is, and with what lifeskills you happen to have. Unfortunately you probably don't. You're pretty good at destroying things, and you probably have a set of mystical tools or weird creatures of the void serving you, and your wicked schemes confound and terrify even the gods, but... you aren't really that great at life. Getting out of bed, dressing yourself, making and successfully eating breakfast, and working a nine-to-five job are examples of the kind of thing that probably eludes you.

(Ability, the generic "be good at normal stuff" trait, is ruinously expensive for Strategists.)

Oh, and the universe is still trying to kill you! (That didn't stop being a thing that was true or anything.) Some aspect of reality just does not work properly for you, and is in fact constantly out to get you.

So, you live a life you aren't suited for, and you try to deal with all your years of baggage, and generally this averages out to something like "solve mysteries." That doesn't really mean Knives Out type mysteries; it means the kind of mysteries you dig into over a season of weird anime, like "why does this high school girl keep sending monsters to attack our town, and is she really God?"

The playtest group I played in was three Strategists in the Portland chapter of the Strategist's Abstention Society, who went to scout out the local magical girl scene and wound up trying to help them improve their work-life balance while digging into the terrible secret of the magical rabbit (which, in hindsight, I should have seen coming a lot sooner).

The playtest group I ran was a group of phantom thieves who were troubled and appalled when a rash of weird crimes started upstaging their heists. This started with them showing up to rob the Domina of Jewels only to find that she, her Chancel, and everything in it had been baked into a pie, consecutively and concurrently. Things escalated from there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Right now I'm fighting the urge to pledge at the "Jenna Moran gives you a special magic name" level, because that's a lot of money, but dang

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Antivehicular posted:

Right now I'm fighting the urge to pledge at the "Jenna Moran gives you a special magic name" level, because that's a lot of money, but dang

If I hadn't already been given a job as a Professor of Lethal Restaurant Operations, I'd be tempted, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This will make me sound like an idiot, but is it easier to get a handle on than Chuubo's?

Will it help me understand Chuubo's for that matter?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

This will make me sound like an idiot, but is it easier to get a handle on than Chuubo's?

Will it help me understand Chuubo's for that matter?

It's definitely closer to the standard idea of what a resolution system does than Chuubo is, although it does have a similar quest system.

I think the "spotlight" mechanic is much simpler and more intuitive than Chuubo's genre-based XP Actions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And funded.

Now to see if we can hit the stretch goals. People might be especially interested in the final stretch goal, which funds the recreation of Nobilis 2e in a modern aspect ratio that we can actually get printed.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

And funded.

Now to see if we can hit the stretch goals. People might be especially interested in the final stretch goal, which funds the recreation of Nobilis 2e in a modern aspect ratio that we can actually get printed.

Any chance she'd be willing to add a KSRUnited support note in there? There's a list of useful options here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thanlis posted:

Any chance she'd be willing to add a KSRUnited support note in there? There's a list of useful options here.

I’ll pass this on!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Unsettled closes in about 5.5 hours. I'm pledged but it was only as of a few minutes ago and I'm back and forth on it. I do think it's likely a better solo experience and a better overall experience than Vindication, which I also backed, and I'm sure the production quality will be top-notch. I like co-ops and the theme quite a bit. So why am I so... enh about the backing? Discussion about it here has been non-existent as far as I recall. Anyone else backing or staying away?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’ve been eyeing it as well, would be interested in hearing if anyone has strong opinions on it too!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Memnaelar posted:

Unsettled closes in about 5.5 hours. I'm pledged but it was only as of a few minutes ago and I'm back and forth on it. I do think it's likely a better solo experience and a better overall experience than Vindication, which I also backed, and I'm sure the production quality will be top-notch. I like co-ops and the theme quite a bit. So why am I so... enh about the backing? Discussion about it here has been non-existent as far as I recall. Anyone else backing or staying away?

I didn't really feel like the campaign gave me a good feel for how the game actually works, so I'm passing on it. Plus, honestly, I've been avoiding backing new games, since the second TMNT one and Empyrial are going to be showing up soon and taking up a ton of space.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 8, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're getting ready to back Return to Dark Tower, it's $125 bucks for the base game ($150 bucks when it comes to retail). There are expansions but they don't quite have the final pricing locked down. Seems like a wallet buster but hey, it's fuckin' DARK TOWER.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Is Dark Tower actually cool or is it just a game that no one got to play in the 80s with a cool gimmick that everyone wants to be cool now? Regardless, I am going to have a difficult time pledging for that one seeing as Fireball Island is commonly found at almost 33% off of retail now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

nesbit37 posted:

Is Dark Tower actually cool or is it just a game that no one got to play in the 80s with a cool gimmick that everyone wants to be cool now? Regardless, I am going to have a difficult time pledging for that one seeing as Fireball Island is commonly found at almost 33% off of retail now.
It was honestly pretty interesting. But there's a good bit of nostalgia feeding it for sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's extremely Ameritrash. Maybe the definitive Ameritrash game.

Incredible theme and art especially for the time. Yes it's very dated today to hear tinny 8 bit music from a crummy speaker and beeps and boops and whirling gears but back then, when most households had one television and no computers and maybe an Atari if you were lucky, it was a huge deal to have a board game that revolved around a microprocessor tower. The game had an instant Wow Factor that frankly every single one of those CMON plastic piles are chasing (and have never reached).

The actual gameplay is thematic and evocative. You have to race around a circular series of 4 kingdoms opening up Crypts and Tombs and fighting Brigands (there is only one type of monster in the game) with your hired Warriors. Your Warriors need to eat food so you need to either find food or buy it at the Bazaar. In each kingdom besides your own there is one key to the tower: the Brass, Silver, and Gold. Once you get all 3 you come back to your home kingdom and open the tower by guessing the random key order (in each game it's random) - once you do, there's a final battle and then you win, hopefully. It's all run with the Dark Tower at the center, an incredibly advanced (for the time) Microprocessor-driven accessory that told you what happened to you each turn of the game and what you found when you did certain actions. Oh and you always rotated the tower toward you during your turn, which meant that your opponents couldn't see what happened to you (but they could guess from the sound cues that the Tower blorted out)

However - and I'm going to be brutally honest - it's very much a game of its time, which is to say - random, random, random, random with very limited agency and very limited interactions. The other players are essentially off in their own kingdoms playing their own games and the only thing they can do that involves interacting with others is to find Curses or Dragons and send them at other players of their choice. They also are, of course, pace-setters for your own quest as you don't want to be hunting around in a kingdom for the Silver Key while Freddy has already found the Gold Key and is running back to fight the Tower. And the way you get those keys, btw, is that you do certain things and there's a chance you get a key from it - sometimes you find them in the very first Ruins you explore, sometimes you find them from a random battle in the countryside, sometimes you find them after noodling around for 5 turns trying everything you can think of and getting nothing because the game just decides you don't get it.

There's also a straight up busted mechanic in the form of Lost - every time you make a move in open territory, you have a chance to get a Lost result, which means you lose your turn. But if you have a Scout, you get to instead take another turn! Which of course breaks the game's action economy over its knee, and so the first thing everyone does is run to the Bazaar and buy a Scout.

Anyway, it's VERY much a product of its time and very much a formative experience for many people - it was massively successful and pretty much unprecedented - but it has also aged very poorly. The titular Dark Tower itself hasn't held up and frequently breaks - mine has stopped working 3 separate times and I've repaired it all 3 times, but it's busted again and I probably won't bother this time. That's why I, personally, am excited for a new Dark Tower. The fact that every indication is that it's now a much more tightly-designed co-op where the Tower relentlessly fucks with you all game is just icing on the cake.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Apologies for the double post, but it looks like they're targeting 200 bucks for the "all in" (I'm listening to an interview with the designer and typing this out as I go).

The "all in" is a couple of expansions, and replacing the cardboard counters for monsters (in the base game) with minis (note that everything else in the base game is an actual mini, but there are 70 monster counters that they just couldn't include as miniatures for the base price).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like the first manuscript section for Glitch will drop on Saturday for backers.

In the meantime, Jenna has released the first section of an example of play made out of our playtest sessions. Making this was lots of fun because we all got to go back and correct each of our jokes that didn't land, thus allowing all of us to masquerade before the world as much better roleplayers than we really are.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Memnaelar posted:

I backed Unsettled as well Vindication previously. I really enjoyed a lot about Vindication: art, multiple goals, quality of components, ease/speed of play, rulebook, etc. The major downside of Vindication for me was the overall theme was basically nonexistent. I still get it to the table regularly, especially with new gamers because it is very easy to teach and quick to play.

Unsettled looks to have a very strong theme directly tied to mechanics. The art and components look good again. Also looks to play in less than 2 hours. If it’s as quick to setup and easy to play as Vindication then it will probably get plenty of table time for that alone. There are enough players in my regular groups that like fast and easy to learn games that I’m buying more of those these days than the heavy games I usually prefer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I’m interested in this, but it ain’t cheap. Beautiful though. Anyone get one of their earlier KS? Is the quality as good as they claim?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabletop-tokens/gtg-minis-for-tabletop-rpgs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thanlis posted:

Thanks for the advice; the Kickstarter image now has a banner.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lawlicaust posted:

Unsettled looks to have a very strong theme directly tied to mechanics. The art and components look good again. Also looks to play in less than 2 hours. If it’s as quick to setup and easy to play as Vindication then it will probably get plenty of table time for that alone. There are enough players in my regular groups that like fast and easy to learn games that I’m buying more of those these days than the heavy games I usually prefer.

Yeah, when push came to shove, that's what got me to keep my backing of it as well. I wish every player in my group was a heavy-Euro gamer but they're not. Games from Orange Nebula are crunchy enough to not bore me, but straightforward enough (and pretty enough) to engage players who might not be interested in some of my other fare.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

A friend has a working copy of the original, and it is dull as loving dirt.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Thanks for the advice; the Kickstarter image now has a banner.

Vastly appreciated.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

I’m interested in this, but it ain’t cheap. Beautiful though. Anyone get one of their earlier KS? Is the quality as good as they claim?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabletop-tokens/gtg-minis-for-tabletop-rpgs

I backed Skinny Minis which was a very similar thing. It's a cool idea, just waiting to see how they execute.
While I get why they've gone with classic D&D monsters / races, but it would be cool to see one with some more original concepts and a more interesting art style.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're getting ready to back Return to Dark Tower, it's $125 bucks for the base game ($150 bucks when it comes to retail). There are expansions but they don't quite have the final pricing locked down. Seems like a wallet buster but hey, it's fuckin' DARK TOWER.

As with their restoration of Dragonmaster, I wish they could have gotten the license to the Bob Pepper art. But hey, Dark Tower.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

homullus posted:

As with their restoration of Dragonmaster, I wish they could have gotten the license to the Bob Pepper art. But hey, Dark Tower.

They tried, but the art couldn't be located, the estate wasn't very interested, and the originals might have been destroyed.

TBH I like their new pic of artist, she has a couple of real bangers, overall she's more Brom than Pepper and not as consistently good (although again I gotta stress some of her pieces are great!), but they did go for someone with a distinct style and I like that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

They’d better have an Orson Welles impersonator.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They tried, but the art couldn't be located, the estate wasn't very interested, and the originals might have been destroyed.

TBH I like their new pic of artist, she has a couple of real bangers, overall she's more Brom than Pepper and not as consistently good (although again I gotta stress some of her pieces are great!), but they did go for someone with a distinct style and I like that.

"More Brom than Pepper" and "distinct" both still sound good to me. I look forward to seeing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

homullus posted:

"More Brom than Pepper" and "distinct" both still sound good to me. I look forward to seeing more.

Here's some of her stuff:

https://twitter.com/Qissus

This Twitter post has a good sample:

https://twitter.com/RestorationGame/status/1157406881473867776

DalaranJ posted:

They’d better have an Orson Welles impersonator.

I want them to have "A Fantasy Adventure Born of Electronic Wizardry" on the box.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 9, 2020