Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

oh poo poo yeah, when i got my tv the default was contrast at 90 and everything looked blown out and godawful, i regretted my black friday baby the second i turned it on

spent a day going through all the settings and now it looks so very pretty. hdr does not seem to work in games that have it, but thats apparently because hdr and game mode are incompatible on my tv - even though the ps4 and tv are both sony, it just looks washed out and awful. normal colour looks great anyway.

I spent a whole bunch of money I didn't actually have on the big samsung in our living room like seven years ago and was always disappointed in how it looked until I started tuning it last year so that I could play sekiro.

It's not in my top three FROM games as a game, but is absolutely my favorite as a friend that helped me fix my tv.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

any of you morons play shmups

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
im too bad at video games to play any shmups

cda

by Hand Knit

vanisher posted:

This thought is real and I have had it many times

cda

by Hand Knit

Pro Target posted:

Hi pro target, nice to see you

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I found a game called Eternal Battlefield last night it's pretty fun in general matches are 8 minutes long which is great! Sadly it's only been out a week and there aren't many people playing so it's mostly instantly matching or waiting 2 minutes for 1 other person to queue then you go into bot match on the same team.

Concept an 2v2v2v2 RTS in 8 minutes. It borrows from a shrinking map from Fortnight, and your army acts more like a DOTA hero. You run around the map and your army auto attacks while you have cool downs (hold left click to run, your units will not attack, there's also stamina which is the circle around your cursor for this) right click to consume souls of everything you have killed to make basic units. Press 1-6 to buy special units with silver that you get for killing creep and killing other heroes. Some special units have a special ability which you can use on cooldown.

It's a bit like DOTA where everything just happens on it's own you just worry about positioning. You have no attack this unit command and can only position your hero which your units chase (but they will not chase if in combat!). It basically plays like hold left click run around kill stuff keep an eye on the mini map maybe help if there's a fight with your partner (I'd really like an FFA mode, which there's a game mode option that's disabled I think they just want 2v2v2v2 to be the main mode and are only running that while low pop).

It's entertaining and quick, I'm not sure it has staying power so check it out before it dies, I also don't see myself really playing more than a month or so even if it had a healthy population it's just that type of game. It doesn't feel like a MOBA game at all, it feels more like a crazy run around and murder hobo everything game. It's plain stupid dumb fun that is dressed up outside the game to be a super serious competitive game but it will never be that, the gameplay doesn't have enough depth. (I'd put money on this game not having servers in 2021). So check it out while it's around, waste an hour or two and enjoy what it is.

Helps if I remember to include the link!

Oh it also looks really pretty especially since it runs on a potato

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 8, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Pro Target

Gone Fashing posted:

im too bad at video games to play any shmups

its easy you put your ship underneath the enemy and press the shoot button

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I'm playing Yakuza 0 and punched a plate

Bobby Deluxe

shmup shmup shmup

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

shmup shmup shmup

pac-man eating peanut butter

Pro Target

Im playting the classic Shoot Em Up "Mushihimesama", and frankly im having a great time

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Pro Target posted:

Im playting the classic Shoot Em Up "Mushihimesama", and frankly im having a great time

Thank you for speaking frankly

Heather Papps

hello friend

Addams family snes > addams family nes

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

i am playing the Sekiro and cannot kill the rifle lady. i just threw myself over and over at the lightning man and finally did it only to discover there's more and harder stuff. good game, still makes me mad and i just wanna be chill

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Pro Target posted:

Heyo, I played Mushihimesama Futari a bit last year and had a good time. I've just started playing Battle Garegga 2016 on the ps4 and it's a lot of fun especially now that I understand how the powerups work. In BG there are some secret formations that you can only get by missing 5 pickups in a row and then pick up an option pickup. It's kind of tricky because sometimes you'll be trying to avoid 5 points pickups in a row but then a 6th point pickup will show up before an option pickup does. When that happens you just have to start over again because skipping the 6th point pickup or picking it up resets your list. They're not necessary to be successful at the game, but they're fun to try for.

I've also been playing Killer Queen Black, and that's a really fun game. It's a 4 v 4 competitive 2d game where everything takes place on a single screen. It reminds me of Towerfall a little bit. You either play your side's Queen or one of the three workers. There are 3 ways to win, kill the enemy Queen 3 times, have your workers gather a bunch of fruit, or have a worker ride a snail into a goal on your side of the map. It's great.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

The Hotline Miami speedrun from AGDQ earlier in the week is nuts. HM is one of those games that I went back to a few years back and unlocked all of the masks and got A+ ranks on all of the stages. It was really difficult but a lot of fun for the most part. It took me dozens and dozens of tries on some of the harder levels but this guy just breezed through them.

Here's him breezing through the level I found the most difficult with ease on a run from 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnobTZfnfU&t=1672s

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Bonaventure

by sebmojo

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

i am playing the Sekiro and cannot kill the rifle lady. i just threw myself over and over at the lightning man and finally did it only to discover there's more and harder stuff. good game, still makes me mad and i just wanna be chill

rifle ladies are the worst minibosses imo, i hate fighting them
the most dangerous move is their grab which has an insane reach. as soon as I see the perilous attack symbol i jump straight backward and that seems to dodge it consistently.
they're also actually very bad at aiming, they choose where to shoot, lift their rifle and don't track you at all until the shot is fired.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Jolo posted:

The Hotline Miami speedrun from AGDQ earlier in the week is nuts. HM is one of those games that I went back to a few years back and unlocked all of the masks and got A+ ranks on all of the stages. It was really difficult but a lot of fun for the most part. It took me dozens and dozens of tries on some of the harder levels but this guy just breezed through them.

Here's him breezing through the level I found the most difficult with ease on a run from 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnobTZfnfU&t=1672s

Few gaming experiences have been as satisfying as a perfectly completed hotline level. And the soundtrack! Frig!!!@

Jolo

Heather Papps posted:

Few gaming experiences have been as satisfying as a perfectly completed hotline level. And the soundtrack! Frig!!!@

Agreed! I highly recommend everything that Carpenter Brut has put out: https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Pro Target posted:

is Image Fight a shmup? I have been playing old NES carts I have. i absolutely suck at it though and can't get very far

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Jolo posted:

Agreed! I highly recommend everything that Carpenter Brut has put out: https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/

Carpenter Brut rock! They did a kick rear end cover of Manic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgTn6qbbis

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I want to 100% Yakuza 0 but I have no idea how to play Mahjong

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Learn Koi-koi instead first

wearing a lampshade

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 0 and punched a plate

It's a good game

Korean Boomhauer

Heather Papps posted:

i scored high enough on a HM2 level and got like a million points and the counter overflowed and it said i got 1 point for the entire level

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

its easy you put your ship underneath the enemy and press the shoot button

dam you are right I’ve been doing it wrong by just running into the lethal projectiles

pixaal

Like the solitaire stacked tiles? That's just match tiles that look the same, there's 4 of each, a set of I think 10 that you can match any combo, and there's 4 pairs that often become critical to progressing the game.

If you mean the poker mahjong I have no idea but I'm pretty sure the tiles are basically playing cards and there's suites and similar basic idea of straights flushes and pairs.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

each turn you draw one tile and discard one tile, you’re trying to make iirc four sets (three of a kind or a run of three) and one pair. to actually win your hand must have something special about it on top of just the sets + pair, these conditions are called yakuman and good h*cking luck trying to remember more than just the basics of those. they influence scoring.

if someone discards a tile you need to complete a set you can steal it but this “opens” your hand and makes it harder to win - a lot of yakuman are like “no terminal tiles (1s or 9s) or honor tiles and also your hand must be closed”.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Now someone explain caravan to me.

Rockman Reserve

Heather Papps posted:

Now someone explain caravan to me.

you’re trying to get your stacks to 26 without going over. stacks are directional (ie you can only play cards on them in ascending or descending order, but you can change the “direction” by playing a double iirc). face cards have special effects and are played on top of basic cards, and can also be played on your opponent’s stuff

the pro strat is to slap any kings you draw down on your opponent’s big cards in a stack to force them to bust

Rockman Reserve

caravan was almost certainly my favorite part of NV

Jolo

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i scored high enough on a HM2 level and got like a million points and the counter overflowed and it said i got 1 point for the entire level

I tell you what man Korean gamers, man, reflexes dang ole not a stereotype man talkin bout breaking the dang ole scoreboard, man.

pixaal

Jolo posted:

I tell you what man Korean gamers, man, reflexes dang ole not a stereotype man talkin bout breaking the dang ole scoreboard, man.

They have some pretty affordable 144Hz monitors there, I had been playing Counter Strike: GO Arms Race for when I bought my 144Hz monitor and had never won a round. I won the first 3 on my 144Hz monitor. It is like night and day. I bet it's more a marketing thing, eSports seems to be pretty big over there. It's not going to replace skill, but it will shave 2-3ms off your reaction time, most will also have a pixel update time around 2ms, a best buy monitor is likely 60Hz with a 12-14ms response time. If you want to be serious you should at least buy a 2ms 60hz monitor they aren't that much more expensive, a 144Hz is going to be pretty expensive in the US. Think about shaving 15ms off your response time and how much play time you would need for that. Now imagine you can just buy a new monitor and now you are just at that skill level but can still keep shaving more time off your response time.

If you just want to play for fun don't worry about it, but if you get a chance it's really nice just make sure your computer can hit 144FPS in your target game first.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 11, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Korean Boomhauer
i love my 144hz monitor and it was p affordable. i should get a bigger one someday tho. do they make 27in ones that are decent??

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

food court bailiff posted:

each turn you draw one tile and discard one tile, you’re trying to make iirc four sets (three of a kind or a run of three) and one pair. to actually win your hand must have something special about it on top of just the sets + pair, these conditions are called yakuman and good h*cking luck trying to remember more than just the basics of those. they influence scoring.

if someone discards a tile you need to complete a set you can steal it but this “opens” your hand and makes it harder to win - a lot of yakuman are like “no terminal tiles (1s or 9s) or honor tiles and also your hand must be closed”.

Mmm okay. I think I got a general hang of it but I'm still extremely bad at it. Tbh I'm enjoying learning it but like you said remember all the different conditions is absurd, learning the pieces alone took effort.

I'm really bad at Shogi because i can't differentiate Japanese characters to save my life so remembering what the pieces are is a constant struggle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i love my 144hz monitor and it was p affordable. i should get a bigger one someday tho. do they make 27in ones that are decent??

BenQ has a really good 144hz 27 inch but it's pricey.

Rockman Reserve

the third quest in dragon marked for death is absolutely insane and the back half of the level is hilariously gross

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!
I bought Catherine full body the other day and I really like it. modern day Atlus can do no wrong by me though.

szkud

west of loathing is an impressive sequel to kingdom of loathing. that being said, I am pretty impressed

~(‾▿‾)~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

szkud posted:

west of loathing is an impressive sequel to kingdom of loathing. that being said, I am pretty impressed

Dang gotta see if my KoL account is still active