Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Statement
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1214701448811831296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don't like that mention of Israel, I hope that part's rhetoric and doesn't lead to actual strikes.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I figured they would have their proxies attack them I didn't think Iran would fire missiles at them directly..

There is a "madman" theory of international crises whereby one can deter potential assailants by projecting the image of an irrational actor who will respond with disproportionately aggressive retaliations that though ultimately self-defeating would be so harmful as to deter attack. The problem is that Trump is not acting, he is legitimately a very stupid and unstable person and will ignore advisers telling him that a ground invasion of Iran would be disastrous in favour of the sound counsel of Sean Hannity and the screaming imp that lives inside his cell phone.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

No freaking way Trump let's this go. I don't know if Iran wants an all out war with the US or just doesn't understand how stupid Trump is, but Trump isn't going to stand down after the picture of the Iranian flag.

God drat it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nenonen posted:

I'm trying to stay positive and think that a direct clash between USA and Iran will force all sides to negotiate and there will be a peace in Yemen this year.

Maybe we can airdrop a crate with trump in it as a peace offering.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Donald the Dove.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Uhhh this is not good correct? Is there a situation where the US doesn’t respond ridiculously? I’m not trying to Arzy here but this isn’t going to be a “actual war” thing right?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Donald the Dove.

Did she ever express any regret for that, or is she just someone who's so impervious to any sense of consequence that she never addressed it?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1214700017774202881

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

teacup posted:

Uhhh this is not good correct?

Correct. This is Very Not Good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

teacup posted:

Uhhh this is not good correct? Is there a situation where the US doesn’t respond ridiculously? I’m not trying to Arzy here but this isn’t going to be a “actual war” thing right?

There is no way any of us could know.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I feel like I should know this but my friend says ballistic missiles = escalation-bad-case-scenario and I think I need someone to ELI5 why this is worse than other potential missiles.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

teacup posted:

What are they going to do? Assassinate a top-level military leader or something?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Any word on casualties? That would determine so, so much here.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Did she ever express any regret for that, or is she just someone who's so impervious to any sense of consequence that she never addressed it?

You know the answer in your heart.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

teacup posted:

Tonight Trump is going to get off a conference call with Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson and be presented with military options, one of which will be to drop nuclear missiles on Iran.

What do you think?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Putting aside the tragic nature of the ongoing events, I find it pretty amazing that we're living in in age where we are able to follow combat manuevers and wartime diplomatic exchanges in real time via Twitter...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Tonight Trump is going to get off a conference call with Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson and be presented with military options, one of which will be to drop nuclear missiles on Iran.

What do you think?

Tucker's actually anti war, not that it'll matter.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

teacup posted:

Given everything we know about Trump he will respond and do something horrible and dumb and make everything worse.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

teacup posted:

short of trump having an attack of sanity this is absolutely "actual war" territory

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

Any word on casualties? That would determine so, so much here.

What I'm wondering is if the Iranians can accept not having inflicted any casualties. They've gotten people riled up about this in a pretty big way, they have to be seen as doing something big and visible unless they want that anger redirected towards themselves, especially in light of the recent wave of protests.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
oh sweet I'm not the only one who asked

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1214703548295995393

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randarkman posted:

What I'm wondering is if the Iranians can accept not having inflicted any casualties. They've gotten people riled up about this in a pretty big way, they have to be seen as doing something big and visible unless they want that anger redirected towards themselves, especially in light of the recent wave of protests.

I mean, they already lost more than 30 people to a funeral procession stampede, they've got a serious death trade deficit to overcome.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

If it's just a handful of scuds maybe they're going for the same kind of show as trump was when he tomahawked an empty lot. At least one can hope.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't think we're fighting 1992 Iraq.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If they actually hit the base, no way they didn't kill people. These things have 500kg warheads and up

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

RIP Syndrome posted:

If it's just a handful of scuds maybe they're going for the same kind of show as trump was when he tomahawked an empty lot. At least one can hope.

Will that really stop Trump from hitting 52 Iranian targets?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

pro starcraft loser posted:

Will that really stop Trump from hitting 52 Iranian targets?

I dunno. It might if they can play it as an ineffective attack while Iran can spin it as devastating for the home audience.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

RIP Syndrome posted:

I dunno. It might if they can play it as an ineffective attack while Iran can spin it as devastating for the home audience.

I get the feeling we aren't playing the spin game anymore.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Charlz Guybon posted:

If they actually hit the base, no way they didn't kill people. These things have 500kg warheads and up

How much destruction does that do, will it blow up just a plane, a tank, a building, a small town?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Crankit posted:

How much destruction does that do, will it blow up just a plane, a tank, a building, a small town?

Well, a Hellfire which was used to kill Suelemani, was designed to kill tanks. And those have like 40lb warheads. So kind of extrapolate that a bit.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s ok everyone, put on your ballistic missile helmets and goggles

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crankit posted:

I think you'd be talking around 100-200m blast radius from that. So kind of city block maybe (though buildings would absorb alot of that energy, so you wouldn't really destroy the whole thing, just talking the size of the explosion more or less).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 8, 2020

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Crankit posted:

I believe Saddam hit a building in Saudi Arabia with a Scud missile (the same kind of missile Iran is firing right now) and killed something like 22 US troops. So they have pretty sizeable warheads.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Can't help but be reminded of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOQCuRdWt-A

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This is kind of reminding me of the South Park movie when the war breaks out.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Charliegrs posted:

I believe Saddam hit a building in Saudi Arabia with a Scud missile (the same kind of missile Iran is firing right now) and killed something like 22 US troops. So they have pretty sizeable warheads.

IIRC that one was a lucky hit, straight on a manned barracks building.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Twitter I know, but reports of F-35s in the air right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gresh posted:

Twitter I know, but reports of F-35s in the air right now

If true, would this be the first time they've been deployed in combat or have they been used in the ISIS campaign?