Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Donald the Dove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

https://twitter.com/Dannymakkisyria/status/1214714277568929793

This is, what, the second time Iran or its proxies have killed Iraqis today?

This absolute loving monster moron in the White House.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I did look at the airbase on google earth and the area of the base where it's nothing but concrete runway and open sand is like 5 miles long by 2 miles high.

Depending on their intentions and the accuracy of their missiles, I'm pretty sure you could hit the base with a bunch of missiles and do nothing but dig up dirt and scorch some runway, and maybe kill an unlucky maintenance guy.

Not that will help now that they've given Trump a pretext to bomb the poo poo out of them. :smith:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1214713856687259650?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2AM8FuI_w

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My Iraqi friend has been telling me that a lot of Iraqis are actually protesting the Iraqi government for trying to kick the US out. He might be getting biased news from people he knows, but it sounds like there’s been a lot of dissatisfaction with that government for a while. (Focused mainly on corruption and Iranian influence, according to my friend)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/vermontgmg/status/1214702040817061888

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CherryCola posted:

My Iraqi friend has been telling me that a lot of Iraqis are actually protesting the Iraqi government for trying to kick the US out. He might be getting biased news from people he knows, but it sounds like there’s been a lot of dissatisfaction with that government for a while. (Focused mainly on corruption and Iranian influence, according to my friend)

yeah Iraq at this point is a post-ethnic-cleansing landscape. your neighborhood probably has the same politics and opinion on them that you do, because everyone else either died or fled. and there is no love for Iran there.

that said, the Iranians kicked ISIS out when the US wouldn't, so while nobody wants to be Iran's puppet there's a sizeable demographic more content with that state of affairs than being the US's. give them a third option and they'd take it, but it ain't in the offering.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonna be a lot more dead Iraqis before this is done. That's where this poo poo is going to be fought.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't believe this at all.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CherryCola posted:

while all the major shia factions came together to vote to expel Americans, what i've heard in interviews is that the Kurdish and Sunni Arab deputies mostly opposed the motion. Is your friend Sunni? Because then he would have very good reason to fear Iranian influence in Iraq.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

It's entirely possible.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Freezer posted:

Putting aside the tragic nature of the ongoing events, I find it pretty amazing that we're living in in age where we are able to follow combat manuevers and wartime diplomatic exchanges in real time via Twitter...

It's perhaps the loving dumbest way for foreign policy or war to be conducted. Twitter is a loving blight

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's perhaps the loving dumbest way for foreign policy or war to be conducted. Twitter is a loving blight

It really should be on usenet.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Squalid posted:

while all the major shia factions came together to vote to expel Americans, what i've heard in interviews is that the Kurdish and Sunni Arab deputies mostly opposed the motion. Is your friend Sunni? Because then he would have very good reason to fear Iranian influence in Iraq.

He’s actually Shia, and it sounds like quite a few Shias aren’t just rallying behind the militias.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

Gonna be a lot more dead Iraqis before this is done. That's where this poo poo is going to be fought.

Am I remembering right that that airbase is mostly manned by Iraqi military? Could likely be a reason it was attacked as extra motivation for kicking US forces out.

I am in no way saying that the death of anyone is good, just speculating on a reason why that one might have been attacked instead of an airbase staffed with US personnel.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

generic one posted:

Am I remembering right that that airbase is mostly manned by Iraqi military? Could likely be a reason it was attacked as extra motivation for kicking US forces out.

I am in no way saying that the death of anyone is good, just speculating on a reason why that one might have been attacked instead of an airbase staffed with US personnel.

Also intensely gently caress all the people tweeting that “only” Iraqis died. Fuckin awful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

generic one posted:

Maybe they were hoping that the US wouldn't escalate in response?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump has successfully gotten the US militsry to be anti war this is solid. After the iran war we will never want to intervene again

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
https://twitter.com/ethanklapper/status/1214718817361891329?s=21

What does this mean

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Trump has successfully gotten the US militsry to be anti war this is solid. After the iran war we will never want to intervene again

your brain is a fascinating place

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Also intensely gently caress all the people tweeting that “only” Iraqis died. Fuckin awful.

Granting Iraqis their full humanity, there's legitimately a difference in terms of the expected American response, and I think that's what most people are trying to convey. Everyone involved, including the Iraqis still living, will be better off if the US takes the excuse not to escalate if Americans didn't die.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

No fly zones

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that said, the Iranians kicked ISIS out when the US wouldn't, so while nobody wants to be Iran's puppet there's a sizeable demographic more content with that state of affairs than being the US's. give them a third option and they'd take it, but it ain't in the offering.

Wha....what?!? Ok so the U.S just made up that it has bases, soldiers, and aircraft in Iraq and just totally lied about fighting ISIS? That the U.S didn’t kill Baghdadi? That the U.S hasn’t been bombing and hunting ISIS for years while running artillery and bombing missions not only for the actual Iraqi Army but the PMF as well? Because I’ll tell you first hand we had more than a few PMF come through the Al Asad aide station and they got American blood and as high quality care as anyone else, American, coalition or Iraqi army who came through

Edit: like holy poo poo our sister team was at the retaking of Mosul, did they just make that and their videos and pictures up also?

FizFashizzle posted:

The Iraqis and the U.S occupy different parts of the base so it ~could~ be possible if unlikely.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 8, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Would the Iranians really be satisfied if no Americans died and leave it at that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We're totally going to quit drinking right after we finish this one last drink.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

Would the Iranians really be satisfied if no Americans died and leave it at that?

I highly doubt it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Probably. This would be the equivalent of us bombing that airfield in Syria after warning everyone that we were going to do it. We can spin it as a failure, they can spin it as striking at the Americans. Unfortunately, Trump is president and has backed himself into a corner by repeatedly saying that any response will be an act of war.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cenen posted:

Wha....what?!? Ok so the U.S just made up that it has bases, soldiers, and aircraft in Iraq and just totally lied about fighting ISIS? That the U.S didn’t kill Baghdadi? That the U.S hasn’t been bombing and hunting ISIS for years while running artillery and bombing missions not only for the actual Iraqi Army but the PMF as well? Because I’ll tell you first hand we had more than a few PMF come through the Al Asad aide station and they got American blood and as high quality care as anyone else, American, coalition or Iraqi army who came through

. The Iraqis and the U.S use different parts of the base so it ~could~ be possible if unlikely.

oh, we certainly had bases. and we certainly put out some efforts. but the people America put in charge of actually pulling the trigger in ground operations, because we weren't willing to put boots on the ground, were the ones that ISIS overran loving -effortlessly-.

we provided artillery support, we provided air support, we provided intel, and we provided drone strikes for the people who beat ISIS.

who were Iranians.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/aliarouzi/status/1214723068377096195

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, the impression I was getting was a sigh of relief from some shitheads, and that is seriously hosed up.

mystes posted:

Maybe they were hoping that the US wouldn't escalate in response?

It seems like the Iraqi government is trying to push things along as quickly as possible, and it’s probably because they know DJT will do the worst possible things that he can without resorting to Geneva Convention level war crimes, but that’s apparently off the table now, too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

oh, we certainly had bases. and we certainly put out some efforts. but the people America put in charge of actually pulling the trigger in ground operations, because we weren't willing to put boots on the ground, were the ones that ISIS overran loving -effortlessly-.

we provided artillery support, we provided air support, we provided intel, and we provided drone strikes for the people who beat ISIS.

who were Iranians.

The people on the ground who beat ISIS were Iraqi and Syrian people.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Charlz Guybon posted:

If that report of a second wave of missiles and air force launching is true, that doesn't seem right.

Don't read to much into the plane thing; if things are getting attacked then of course one side if going to put up their aircraft where they are both safest and actually effectual to at least potentially defend, and then the other side is going to do the same to make sure they're ready to defend if need be, too.

the planes are just doing sky-donuts far from the border until everyone lands again

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

generic one posted:

Yeah, the impression I was getting was a sigh of relief from some shitheads, and that is seriously hosed up.

It seems like the Iraqi government is trying to push things along as quickly as possible, and it’s probably because they know DJT will do the worst possible things that he can without resorting to Geneva Convention level war crimes, but that’s apparently off the table now, too.

that said if Iran has actually avoided killing any American soldiers, from a sheer escalation point of view, we have dodged most of the bullets here.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Civilian air traffic is banned from flying over those zones.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

OctaMurk posted:

The people on the ground who beat ISIS were Iraqi and Syrian people.

Let’s not forget the dang peshmerg

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SchrodingersCat posted:

From what I understand of f-35s, most of the drat things will melt as soon as they take off.

Iran is still flying F-14 Tomcats. They would get annihilated in any air battle.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CherryCola posted:

They are Iraqis.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CherryCola posted:

Also known as Iraqi people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

If this all results in US forces withdrawing from the region, then maybe? Without having a vast amount of knowledge of regional politics, I get the impression that they’d consider it a victory if that happened, e.g. being pushed out by sovereign governments, the threat of violence, etc.