Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t need to MR anymore but that’s about the only place I’d MR. the 1.5 prem Econ bonus is more efficient and 90% of my delays are on domestic itineraries which are like 15% of my total travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

movax posted:

I read this last night — incredibly on-brand for AA response.

In this case nothing that happened was AAs fault though and if anything the airport agents were as helpful as they could be so it works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thoguh posted:

In this case nothing that happened was AAs fault though and if anything the airport agents were as helpful as they could be so it works.

I wasn't nor do I think anyone else was blaming this on AA, just pointing out how tone deaf the response was. And since that's typically AA "it works".

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
It’s probably some overworked, underpaid person replying to all those. Why would they spend their time reading an entire article of tweets about stuff that is irrelevant to their job? Why would that person even tag AA? Why would that person even share that story to anyone but their friends?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Vomik posted:

Why would that person even tag AA? Why would that person even share that story to anyone but their friends?
Because its Twitter/Instagram/Facebook LOOK AT ME!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Has anyone’s travel been affected? Consultants were saying that the airports today have been a shitshow due to the insanity going on with Iran/Iraq.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I saw more troops passing through CLT and ATL than usual, but other than that nothing was different than ordinary.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Has anyone’s travel been affected? Consultants were saying that the airports today have been a shitshow due to the insanity going on with Iran/Iraq.

Idiots were freaking out on Twitter because the big mean uniformed soldiers were going through airports in large numbers. Almost like they do on a normal basis. I'm actually more amused at the idea of the looks traded when the pre-boarding announcement comes on (I know, they were all likely on charter flights but still).

Rolled over 51K miles, and looks like my year begins in earnest next week, 2 day trip back to ZRH. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Warbird posted:

I saw more troops passing through CLT and ATL than usual, but other than that nothing was different than ordinary.

RDU had a lot of announcements that if soldiers were going to certain locations please stop by the USO area. A lot of troops in CLT yesterday but they weren't uniform, just wearing the tell tale backpacks. But the TSA hadn't changed any procedures. My flights were a bit delayed but I suspect that was more AA fuckery than anything due to security.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are conventions the natural enemy of business travel? My hotel is swamped and next week I have to stay clear across town next week because everything is booked up. My fault for waiting so long.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Are conventions the natural enemy of business travel? My hotel is swamped and next week I have to stay clear across town next week because everything is booked up. My fault for waiting so long.

I mean....yeah? I have a list of major conventions for each area I normally travel to so I can NOPE NOPE NOPE anyone who proposes meeting during those times.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

I mean....yeah? I have a list of major conventions for each area I normally travel to so I can NOPE NOPE NOPE anyone who proposes meeting during those times.

I got booked into a training class at the same time as Midwest Furry Con and the hotel I was staying at was attached to the convention center. That threw me a bit of a curve ball when I checked in. I had another class have a scheduling conflict with the US open and some of my students were paying $400 a night for a room at a Hampton Inn.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Warbird posted:

Er...conventions are the reason for most of my business travel

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Er...conventions are the reason for most of my business travel

Sure....but if you need to go somewhere and it's not for that convention and it's someplace like SF during SalesForce wouldn't it make sense to do it before or after? Even if your travel policy allows you to spend $800/night on a normally $200/night hotel your own sanity should be a consideration here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

No, the weather is the natural enemy. Conventions power business travel and are easily avoided if you either book ahead or pay through the nose.

Unlike an airplane I’m rarely inconvenienced if a hotel is sold out vs not. I guess maybe I wait a little bit for an elevator?

Actually at a couple hotel bars I’ve gotten better service and free drinks because I’m not one of the douchey convention bros.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My New Year's resolution this year is no booze while on the road. Let's see if I make it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sellouts posted:

I’m rarely inconvenienced if a hotel is sold out vs not. I guess maybe I wait a little bit for an elevator?

Wow....you've never been to a hotel with a really popular conference in it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thomamelas posted:

Midwest Furry Con
I’ve accidentally stayed at the SLC Hilton during a Young Living convention and in downtown Dallas during some anime convention, which was somehow LESS weird than the essential oils one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sellouts posted:

I guess maybe I wait a little bit for an elevator?

I've seen multiple folks from the sales convention being hosted here this week hit both buttons to get an elevator faster. It already takes the better part of 20 minutes without them doing that due to all the extra traffic. Some etsy-ish convention is going on next week and all of the central part of the city is booked out. Best I can get near public transit is a solid 30 minute ride, but them's the breaks. God help me if I'm still on this contract when Dragon Con rolls around.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

I had to go to DC during peak field trip season, had to stay in Largo, spending an hour on Metro every morning.

Compared to my last DC trip, where I scored a hotel on the same block as the meetings.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I feel sorry for non-hackers stuck in Vegas during the Black Hat/BSidesLV/DEF CON week.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

Wow....you've never been to a hotel with a really popular conference in it.

I mean I’ve stayed at multiple properties at CES, SXSW at the Hilton and the Four Seasons, MIDEM in Cannes but sure? And a bunch of financial poo poo that shared hotels I was at but I didn’t know what was going on.

Warbird posted:

Best I can get near public transit is a solid 30 minute ride, but them's the breaks.

Yeah, that sucks. I hate being unable to take public transpo with clients in major cities.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 8, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sellouts posted:

I mean I’ve stayed at multiple properties at CES, SXSW at the Hilton and the Four Seasons, MIDEM in Cannes but sure? And a bunch of financial poo poo that shared hotels I was at but I didn’t know what was going on.

Vegas never doesn't have a conference, but I can't speak to the other two. I'm talking about things like a town (or a hotel you are staying at if you want to go more local) being taken over by a conference. Hilton Hawaiian Village is loving WRECKED by PTC every year. Like to the point where you can't get up in the towers (or back down again) inside of 40 minutes. So is every other place near it to a lesser extent. The entirety of the FD and blast radius thereof in SF is 3x minimum the price during Dreamforce. Most of Barcelona is similarly wrecked during MWC.

Perhaps we're taking about much different attendee to hotel room/city sized conferences.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had to go to DC during peak field trip season, had to stay in Largo, spending an hour on Metro every morning.

Compared to my last DC trip, where I scored a hotel on the same block as the meetings.

I got to explain DC during peak field trip season to the West Coasters who do my scheduling. They found it very puzzling.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

Perhaps we're taking about much different attendee to hotel room/city sized conferences.

*shrug*

The hotels I stay at are often totally sold out, sxsw puts a blanket hold for all hotel rooms in the city and the Hilton is ground zero for all of their ballrooms, and all of these hotels are fully sold out.

Not really fair to say I’ve never been at a popular hotel or conference. Guess my experiences are different.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

*shrug*

The hotels I stay at are often totally sold out, sxsw puts a blanket hold for all hotel rooms in the city and the Hilton is ground zero for all of their ballrooms, and all of these hotels are fully sold out.

Not really fair to say I’ve never been at a popular hotel or conference. Guess my experiences are different.

Yeah, I had to go to SXSWi for work back in ‘12 and the closest hotel room was halfway to San Antonio, an hour by car each way.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

God help you if you’re trying to do anything during Dreamforce. Salesforce *employees* are usually forced to stay in Oakland or by SFO because everything in the city is literally $900/night.

I don’t think, though, that there are that many city takeover sized conferences or events overall that affect biz travelers. The only one I can think of for Chicago would be Lollapalooza and that’s mostly over a weekend.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

taco show posted:

I don’t think, though, that there are that many city takeover sized conferences or events overall that affect biz travelers. The only one I can think of for Chicago would be Lollapalooza and that’s mostly over a weekend.
Maybe not quite the same, god help you if you tried to fly out of Nashville the weekend after Bonnaroo and the CMA Festival. For whatever dumb reason, up until last year, they were always on the same weekend in early June, and that Monday morning was always a nightmare. Luckily now they are a week apart.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm assuming the answer is no, but does anyone know if AA CS will let me transfer some of these 500mi upgrade stickers to my wife's account?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

taco show posted:

I agree and the airports aren’t noticeably worse after Lolla. Hotels are sold out but very similar to the what I posted.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The Delta terminals at DTW are cool. Last time I flew to Detroit, I flew American and their terminal isn’t great.

Anyway, god bless

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

taco show posted:

God help you if you’re trying to do anything during Dreamforce. Salesforce *employees* are usually forced to stay in Oakland or by SFO because everything in the city is literally $900/night.

Indianapolis and GenCon.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

The Delta terminals at DTW are cool. Last time I flew to Detroit, I flew American and their terminal isn’t great.
McNamara terminal YAY
North terminal BOO

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My New Year's resolution this year is no booze while on the road. Let's see if I make it

You're going to blow it later this month when we go out for drinks after that concert.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KillHour posted:

You're going to blow it later this month when we go out for drinks after that concert.

that’s not for work!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DJCobol posted:

McNamara terminal YAY
North terminal BOO

new North is pretty good though

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DJCobol posted:

McNamara terminal YAY
North terminal BOO

i like north terminal. it takes like five minutes from curb to gate either way

also it got a chick fil a this week

movax
Aug 30, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

i like north terminal. it takes like five minutes from curb to gate either way

also it got a chick fil a this week

Whaaaaaa DTW has two Chick Fil A now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR