Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone order AirPod pros from apple lately? Is the shipping forecast pretty accurate? Shows feb 11 right now, and if they’re holding to that I feel like I can probably find some in stock before that, right?

FYI last I checked they were shipping in 2 days from Verizon. Mileage will certainly vary.

Apple is pretty good on having accurate shipping time.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have the one-headphone thingy every now and then too. I think it was because I adjusted (bent) the ear hooks to hug my head better, so when you put them in the case, they kind of push at each other, causing one of them to not connect fully. Thankfully it only takes like 5 minutes to get enough charge for a workout/run.

When I run, I wear mine with a hat and sunglasses just fine. The ear hooks actually sit over my sunglasses instead of underneath. Seems to work great that way and they don't get jostled around. It felt super weird to me to have my sunglasses sitting on top of the ear hooks.

I wear glasses and my power bests sit over top my glasses , kind of to the side really. Doesn’t bother me. That said, I am not a constant user, I take mine off when I’m done talking on the phone or listening to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Charles posted:

Is Anker still what you'd recommend for Lightning cables? Boy are they expensive. I tried using thread search and didn't see too many recent results.

What do you consider expensive? The regular ones are $9 each and you can get a 3 pack for $20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0VD8JA

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

What do you consider expensive? The regular ones are $9 each and you can get a 3 pack for $20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0VD8JA

$19 for a 6 foot cable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They have a few different models but their basic 6ft cable is still $10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHLZ7Z2/

I’ve found Monoprice to be a fine substitute as well. Had an Amazon basics cable but that one broke after a year.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 8, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

They have a few different models but their basic 6ft cable is still $10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHLZ7Z2/

I’ve found Monoprice to be a fine substitute as well. Had an Amazon basics cable but that one broke after a year.

Oh not bad. I guess I ordered the braided one. I picked up an Amazon basics at the store for $8 while I was at the mall too. I like to have a few cables around for obvious reasons.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anker's expensive(r) cables are their "PowerCore" branded ones which is a fancy way of saying they use thicker copper conductors on the power rails so in theory you are meant to charge at 2.4A even with a long lightning cable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
11 Pro, iOS 13.3.
The sound coming out of the speakers sounds really compressed, especially speech. It's fine on Bluetooth. Is there some kind of post processing?

Does iOS not let you use SwiftKey to enter passwords?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

Anker's expensive(r) cables are their "PowerCore" branded ones which is a fancy way of saying they use thicker copper conductors on the power rails so in theory you are meant to charge at 2.4A even with a long lightning cable.

Huh, why would type of cable matter in this case? I have an AmazonBasics 6ft whatever lightning cable and I'm pretty sure I have no problem charging at 2.4A unless I'm mistaken. Keep in mind 2.4A is not the fastest that iPhone 11 is capable of taking.

However the 11 Pro comes with a USB-C to lightning cable that's pretty short, haven't found a longer one for the fastest type of charging.

Separate but related -- there are too many specs out there now, 'fast charging' has lost a lot of meaning and can indicate different things.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 8, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Charles posted:

11 Pro, iOS 13.3.
The sound coming out of the speakers sounds really compressed, especially speech. It's fine on Bluetooth. Is there some kind of post processing?

Clean your speakers out with a qtip or something.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Inner Light posted:

Huh, why would type of cable matter in this case? I have an AmazonBasics 6ft whatever lightning cable and I'm pretty sure I have no problem charging at 2.4A unless I'm mistaken. Keep in mind 2.4A is not the fastest that iPhone 11 is capable of taking.

However the 11 Pro comes with a USB-C to lightning cable that's pretty short, haven't found a longer one for the fastest type of charging.

Separate but related -- there are too many specs out there now, 'fast charging' has lost a lot of meaning and can indicate different things.

Starting from generic USB you can charge at max at 2.4A without badly breaking spec and risking weird consequences. Technically you can't charge at above 500mA without negotiation without breaking spec, but everyone ignores that bit.

And type of cable absolutely matters here because of... physics. Shittier cables just can't do it. AmazonBasics tend to be at least sorta okay for construction.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Clean your speakers out with a qtip or something.

I literally bought it yesterday. It's an artifact of some kind of processing or audio compression, like a low-bitrate MP3 or satellite radio.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Charles posted:

I literally bought it yesterday. It's an artifact of some kind of processing or audio compression, like a low-bitrate MP3 or satellite radio.

Doesn't mean the speaker can't be borked out of the box, only that it's less likely. Take it to the Apple store.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Facetious posted:

Doesn't mean the speaker can't be borked out of the box, only that it's less likely. Take it to the Apple store.

Alright I'll go there sometime. I can compare it to the floor model, although the stores are always really loud :P

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Charles posted:

Does iOS not let you use SwiftKey to enter passwords?

iOS does not allow 3rd party keyboards to be active on password fields, no. Security thing.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

FCKGW posted:

iOS does not allow 3rd party keyboards to be active on password fields, no. Security thing.

I don't think it allows its own swipe typing in passwords, either, which is infuriating when you use a lot of passphrases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol why aren't you using a password manager?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Shittier cables just can't do it. AmazonBasics tend to be at least sorta okay for construction.

They can't? I'm trying to find a reason to doubt that I can find the crappiest crap USB-to-lightning cable, plug into a 2.4A charger and my iPhone 11 Pro, and have it work fine forever. I'm talking connector construction notwithstanding, since physical failure (fraying) would not be tied to current.

If what you were saying was true I would expect a ton more cable failures from overcurrent, but I've never seen it.

I'm being pedantic I acknowledge :)

Endless Mike posted:

Please everybody use LastPass, it's wonderful. One of the best decisions I've made in my boring life.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 8, 2020

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Endless Mike posted:

I do use iCloud keychain, but that's beside the point. I should be able to swipe type passphrases.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Inner Light posted:

They can't? I'm trying to find a reason to doubt that I can find the crappiest crap USB-to-lightning cable, plug into a 2.4A charger and my iPhone 11 Pro, and have it work fine forever. I'm talking connector construction notwithstanding, since physical failure (fraying) would not be tied to current.

If what you were saying was true I would expect a ton more cable failures from overcurrent, but I've never seen it.

I'm being pedantic I acknowledge :)

Please everybody use LastPass, it's wonderful. One of the best decisions I've made in my boring life.

It’s basic physics. The cable cross sectional area should be 0.5mm for 2.4A current carrying capability, especially for cable lengths of 1m or more.

A typical charging cable will be 0.25mm which is 0.5A capable.

This is more of an issue for low voltage DC applications like the 5v USB standards.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Neurophonic posted:

It’s basic physics. The cable cross sectional area should be 0.5mm for 2.4A current carrying capability, especially for cable lengths of 1m or more.

A typical charging cable will be 0.25mm which is 0.5A capable.

This is more of an issue for low voltage DC applications like the 5v USB standards.

So does that mean if I try to 2.4A charge with a .25mm cable, it will charge but at a lower amperage, and I'd never know it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Instead, use a password manager that actually cares a little bit about your security. Calling LastPass's track record "bad" would be an understatement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Inner Light posted:

So does that mean if I try to 2.4A charge with a .25mm cable, it will charge but at a lower amperage, and I'd never know it?

Ayup. Unless iOS starts whining.

It's not going to fail from overcurrent mind, and generally the rules of thumb have a big safety margin built in.

EDIT: Also don't use LastPass. Just don't.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 8, 2020

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I’m not sure what the handshake process is for all devices but it’s fairly trivial to test the impedance of a circuit when the devices at both ends are known, and make assumptions about cable thickness. So I would put my money on ‘yes’.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/9kvg21/iphone_xs_speakers_make_voices_sound_digitized/

I found this. Guess it's just a thing with new iPhones.

FCKGW posted:

That actually makes sense, as a lot of 3rd party keyboards send data.

I do use Roboform so it's mostly just annoying on the store where it seems to ask for password even for free apps even with face id and it doesn't let you use a password manager :cheeky:. Turning face ID off and on seemed to fix that.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Stupid WiFi triple post

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 8, 2020

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I’m not sure what the handshake process is for all devices but it’s fairly trivial to test the impedance of a circuit when the devices at both ends are known, and make assumptions about cable thickness. So I would put my money on ‘yes’ particularly given that it’s the graceful failover vs. not charging or setting your house on fire.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Neurophonic posted:

Stupid WiFi triple post

The forums were being wonky, it's not just you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Inner Light posted:

You can get a "USB Doctor" for 2bux and measure it, but yeah.
(I also had a power bank that had a mode to report charging speed)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Basics stuff is usually good, but I've gotten burnt on their cables. Don't buy Amazon Basics cables, especially when the prices aren't that much cheaper. Anker is the gold standard, but Monoprice edges them out on the warranty, which I have used and they did honor.

astral posted:

Instead, use a password manager that actually cares a little bit about your security. Calling LastPass's track record "bad" would be an understatement.

Your password manager can be secure, cheap, and cross-platform...but you can only pick 2.

I like mine cheap and cross-platform.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's insecure about Keepass? It's passed audits by several agencies.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Does anyone else use Pass? It’s self-hosted and leverages GPG and Git to handle storing and syncing passwords, so there’s a little bit of knowledge and overhead needed, but it’s been working pretty well for me for the last couple years. There’s an iOS app that works pretty well once it’s set up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It costs money but I’ve been so happy with 1password. Converting my wife over to using it means now we have a very secure repository of every login, without any repeat passwords. Huge QOL improvement, especially when combined with iOS ability to use 3rd party password managers and FaceID

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TraderStav posted:

It costs money but I’ve been so happy with 1password. Converting my wife over to using it means now we have a very secure repository of every login, without any repeat passwords. Huge QOL improvement, especially when combined with iOS ability to use 3rd party password managers and FaceID

I bounced between LastPass, Dashlane and 1Password and settled on 1Password. Out of all the cloud-based solutions I like it the best. Having control over your secret key is a welcome addition over the other two, and it does seem to have the best iOS app out of all of them - and the Windows app isn't too horrible, either. I had performance issues with Dashlane all the time. And I just don't trust LogMeIn as a company as much.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is it possible to migrate iOS keychain data to 1Password without a computer? Last I briefly looked, it didn’t seem like it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is it possible to migrate iOS keychain data to 1Password without a computer? Last I briefly looked, it didn’t seem like it.

Probably not. I don't even know if you can export the Keychain data to something like a CSV for import.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My backups are failing because I've run out of icloud space - I used to manually backup to my computer but with the death of itunes I'm not sure how to anymore. Any easy alternatives?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Buy more space.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

jackpot posted:

My backups are failing because I've run out of icloud space - I used to manually backup to my computer but with the death of itunes I'm not sure how to anymore. Any easy alternatives?

Buy more iCloud? It’s worth $12 a year not to worry about backups.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Lastpass had one security problem once that didn't affect the vast majority of users and this was years ago, and something similar isn't even possible now. They aren't going to give away your banking information, but if you want to pay for a service, or roll your own, feel free. I'm lazy tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jackpot posted:

The local backup process is the same except you access the phone through Finder instead of iTunes.