Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
need a good shortrib recipe to be served with polenta

my only asks are no wine and not looking for a sweet sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Heners_UK posted:

Reading around for a decent bean chilli recipe. Checked this thread, Serious Eats and Google, but in the latter case, I saw a bunch of all-looks-the-same mummy blogger sites, each one claiming their bean recipe will remove the need or desired to eat any other food ever again for any reason.

Ideally a dump in the pot and leave recipe. Basically my kid loves bean chilli so every so often I make a lake of it in my slow cooker (before I got an IP)

there's no "bean recipe" - making beans is a feeling

put in a little less than a can of stock for every half pound of beans, a lot of onions, as much garlic as you can stand, black pepper, etc. high pressure cook it for about 50 minutes. i know that seems long but beans are best when they are Very Cooked. after the pressure release, add in all the tomato product, and add in all your cut up jalepeno/poblano/whatever peppers. 3 minutes again at high pressure then release. at that point you have a bean stew that will keep you alive until you are 100 years old

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

I decided to make rice in the IP tonight instead of on the stovetop: wash, rinse, add 3 cups wet rice + 3 cups of water, 8 minutes low pressure, 10 min natural release. Perfect. I'll probably start using the IP for rice more often.

Heners_UK posted:

Reading around for a decent bean chilli recipe.

Chef John's Beef, bean, and beer chili is simple and you can swap out the beer with chicken stock.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just got a pressure cooker for Christmas and have used it for lentils and split pea soup and holy fuckin shidd does this thing make good food. Are there any arcane secrets of pressure cooking that I can glom onto real quick to flex on people with my pressure cooker?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

empty whippet box posted:

Just got a pressure cooker for Christmas and have used it for lentils and split pea soup and holy fuckin shidd does this thing make good food. Are there any arcane secrets of pressure cooking that I can glom onto real quick to flex on people with my pressure cooker?
no

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The pot-in-pot cooking thing screws people up a little but is worth knowing. Basically you can cook rice/veg in an oven safe thing on the trivet while also cooking the thing to go on the rice (if the timing works) in the IP and the timing is incredibly important.

Don't go for recipes from mommy blogs unless they're dead simple because most of them are converted slow-cooker recipes that don't always pan out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have a question regarding pot in pot: I am currently looking for suitable dishes for my 8 qt IP. How does stacking work? Do i need closed lids or open lids on dishes when using the pot in pot method? I saw there are sets of 2 stackable stainless steel pots with lids but I am not sure whether these need to be covered or not.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Is there a more detailed explanation for the pot in pot methods? I've got an 8qt IP Duo.

Also, aside from Serious Eats/Kenji, where else is a good non-mummyblogger place to go for recipes?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heners_UK posted:

... a good non-mummyblogger place to go for recipes?

This will sound sexist in context so I hesitate to say it but Dad cooks dinner has been a solid website for me for pressure cooker recipes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Most Indian websites use a pressure cooker for most recipes. Check out the Indian food thread for plenty of suggestions.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Heners_UK posted:

Also, aside from Serious Eats/Kenji, where else is a good non-mummyblogger place to go for recipes?
Many Kenji recipes (brown things in pan, deglaze, put everything in a dutch oven for 3 hours, add fish sauce) can be executed by putting all the ingredients that go in the dutch oven or earlier into a pressure cooker, and cooking it for the appropriate time for the meat or other main ingredient. For example: tomorrow I'm going to do Cuban style pork shoulder by putting the pork+mojo in an Instant Pot for 60 minutes, and it comes out perfect every time (with plenty of left over liquid to mix back into the sauce). I'll also cook the beans in the IP, of course.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I got an Instant Pot recently and my first recipes were from this thread. I made Kenji’s Colombian chicken soup and the New Yorker butter chicken (using coconut milk in place of cream). Both were absolute winners. The butter chicken recipe leads to quite a bit of leftover sauce. I used the leftovers as a sort of bisque to dip grilled cheese sandwiches in and regretted nothing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Heners_UK posted:

Is there a more detailed explanation for the pot in pot methods? I've got an 8qt IP Duo.

I like Amy and Jacky and HIP Cooking in addition to Dad Cooks Dinner. Amy and Jacky tend to be very detailed in their instructions so you know exactly what you should be doing and why at every step of the way. (They also have the recipe at the end of the post if you want to jump right in.) They also have some good pot-in-pot stuff.

For pot-in-pot, I usually see it used with rice and that doesn't need a lid. You can use a lid if you want to stack up multiple pots, of course. I've seen that with a few things.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This site has some good and easy Indian dishes that I've liked a lot https://pipingpotcurry.com/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Has anyone gotten the instant pot duo crisp? I'm not going to lie, I'm really tempted, especially by the dehydrator rack.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Has anyone gotten the instant pot duo crisp? I'm not going to lie, I'm really tempted, especially by the dehydrator rack.

My mom did, because she insists on getting the top of the line version of everything then leaving it on a shelf in the garage to rot. If the internet is still around when it finally gets used, I'll post an update.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Made a chuck tender roast in my pot the other night, took about an hour and a half total and we got 8 meals out of it for $17 total and it was absolutely perfect. And I didn't have to use my stove at all, I could have literally cooked it all in the living room if I wanted to. Next up is a butt roast!!! I could bring this thing to loving music festivals or camping if I wanted to. I'm obsessed

Might make stuffed peppers / cabbage rolls in it soon. I'm just flush with ideas for stuff to make in it, gently caress eating out, I just wanna cook all day

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Might make stuffed peppers / cabbage rolls in it soon.

Eastern-European spotted.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

Eastern-European spotted.

I live in Hattiesburg Mississippi, I'm just a man of culture!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Been sick the past week so I've been eating a lot of congee. I use a simple recipe of roughly a cup of rice to 5 cups of water. Throw in 5 chicken legs and chop up an inch of ginger. Throw in a bunch of green onions and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Add a dash of sesame oil before eating. You can eat the chicken with a spoon at that point and the rice is a pleasing mush.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Been sick the past week so I've been eating a lot of congee. I use a simple recipe of roughly a cup of rice to 5 cups of water. Throw in 5 chicken legs and chop up an inch of ginger. Throw in a bunch of green onions and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Add a dash of sesame oil before eating. You can eat the chicken with a spoon at that point and the rice is a pleasing mush.

:eyepop:

Hell yeah, quoting this to do later this week

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Could I do that with some ground pork I want to get rid of tonight? I have the ginger and green onions already. When do you add salt how much? Or what if I threw in some totally frozen chicken thighs, same 30mins but then the chicken is not mushy but still cooked through?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Ranter posted:

Could I do that with some ground pork I want to get rid of tonight? I have the ginger and green onions already. When do you add salt how much? Or what if I threw in some totally frozen chicken thighs, same 30mins but then the chicken is not mushy but still cooked through?

Roll the ground pork into loose meatballs with no filling and put them in at the end once the pressure cook stage is done, let them simmer through. And just salt to taste, depending on if you're using soy/anything else salty at the end as a condiment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ranter posted:

Ground pork works great. And yeah make them into meatballs. Mix the pork with ginger, green onions, corn starch, and sesame oil.

I only add about a tablespoon of kosher to the whole pot and just add more seasonings when I eat it. Usually sriracha or soy sauce.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Awesome thanks both. Would chicken stock, or 50/50 stock/water be a good move too? edit: welp I'm trying it with 2 cups of chicken broth 3 cups water.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2020

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I was looking up some Instant Pot stuff, ended up on a bit of a YouTube dive and came across 7 BASIC Instant Pot Recipes - Perfect for Beginners! I'm still not quite sure if I'm being trolled. The channel/comments seem sincere and it wasn't posted on April 1st, but...it features such hits as:

Baked Potatoes! Some skanky-rear end-looking spuds that she steams. Nothing wrong with steamed potatoes, but that's not a baked potato. Plus I think she's confusing "perfect" with "look mealy as gently caress inside".

Frozen Chicken! Comes out "nice" and pink in places. Luckily, once you pick the cooked parts it just looks rather pale, slimy and sad.

And speaking of pale and sad (and grey), my favourite: Ground Beef! Words fail me.

Plus many more!

Also, what's seasoning, precious?

I'm amused that just about every IP-related vid I watched had ads for the Ninja in them - nothing else. Brand warfare! Also I guess I can see why people say there was a bit of a cult of IP there for a while as most vids are Mommy-blog levels of backstory and worship. And did everybody in the US get one for Christmas? They all mention it! Not fair - I had to buy my loving own :mad:

For more positive content, I made an IP chili with ground beef (that I sautéd first dammit!) and it turned out really tasty with all the flavours infused nicely. Pic taken before adding cheese and sour cream as it then only looked like a dodgy party...ahem.

Why YES it does have kidney beans in it. Sorry, purists :(

P.S. My Mum got me an IP cookbook for Christmas and I'm still lolling that the back cover is a manifesto about the author creating or adapting recipes to be entirely vegan. Nowhere else is veganism mentioned and flip to any random page and there's meat and other animal products all over the place. Does this make it more valuable like when coins/stamps have errors? ;) If anybody is an experienced proof-reader I can put you in touch with the publishers...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There are a bunch of fake recipe blogs, YouTubes and Instagrams, there's even a YouTube channel where a food scientist proves that recipes are fake by trying to make them. I've even made a few recipes from established popular sites that were absolute poo poo and no way anyone made them in real life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think chili purism is a thing. It's just either Texas chili or everyone else. And I side with everyone else.

Also I love putting in andouille or chorizo into my chili. The extra saltiness is great.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A Tbsp of salt (yes, even kosher) for 1 cup of rice and 5 chicken legs is mega high. Especially if you're using chicken stock and/or soy sauce. Did you mean a tsp maybe?

When I do instant pot chicken & rice, I use lower-sodium Better than Bouillon for the rice, plus a very light sprinkle on each leg before putting them in.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

wormil posted:

There are a bunch of fake recipe blogs, YouTubes and Instagrams, there's even a YouTube channel where a food scientist proves that recipes are fake by trying to make them. I've even made a few recipes from established popular sites that were absolute poo poo and no way anyone made them in real life.

I would like to know more about this channel!

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

EVG posted:

I would like to know more about this channel!

It's "How To Cook That" by Ann Reardon. Mostly a baking channel, but she kind of backed into a side gig debunking fake recipes and crafts.

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtocookthat

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The congee of 1 cup rice, 2 cups chicken stock, 3 cups water, 30mins under pressure in IP was real good but I'm gonna up the liquid to 6 cups for 1 cup of the rice I'm currently using next time. I wanted it a tiny bit more runny/liquidy. The ginger is key and so so good in it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just steamed some frozen pork buns and baos in the IP using my steaming baskets. Low pressure steam for 5 mins, natural pressure releases for 5 mins then rapid release. They came out perfect.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Hopper posted:

This is the original Butter Chicken recipe.

Its missing 2 ingredients to make it more authentic...

1)1tsp red chili powder (not US/texas chili powder but more like hot paprika) but I guess she uses cayenne pepper?

2)1tsp Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves ground up in your hands)

The fenugreek is important IMO because it gives this curry that distinct curry flavor plus its in every authentic butter chicken dish. You can buy all these ingredients online and they store great.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 8, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hopper posted:

I just steamed some frozen pork buns and baos in the IP using my steaming baskets. Low pressure steam for 5 mins, natural pressure releases for 5 mins then rapid release. They came out perfect.

Also quoting this cause geez I am not using my IP to its fullest potential!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hopper posted:

As in store-bought frozen buns or something you made and froze?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anne Whateley posted:

A Tbsp of salt (yes, even kosher) for 1 cup of rice and 5 chicken legs is mega high. Especially if you're using chicken stock and/or soy sauce. Did you mean a tsp maybe?

When I do instant pot chicken & rice, I use lower-sodium Better than Bouillon for the rice, plus a very light sprinkle on each leg before putting them in.

To be honest I don't measure anything with my congee and just eyeball it. You're probablyl right. But I don't use chicken broth so maybe that's why I need more seasonings when I eat it. It's just water and rice and meat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Hopper posted:

What steaming baskets are you using in the IP? I was looking for some that would fit and had no luck.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a pork shoulder roast in my pressure cooker and we turned it on to cook and it just sat there for like 30 minutes and said 'BURN FOOD' without ever coming up to pressure and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I have a pork shoulder roast in my pressure cooker and we turned it on to cook and it just sat there for like 30 minutes and said 'BURN FOOD' without ever coming up to pressure and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?
What else is in the pressure cooker?