Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Toxic Mental posted:

Just look at what happens to people who come into money too fast:

I always loved how in Homer's fantasies, Marge is a vastly different woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I like when he pictures her mowing the lawn lol

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I still think the “You pressed you, referring to me. The correct answer was you” bit is one of the best bits of simpson writing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

There's that episode in the first season where Louise ruthlessly exploits her classmates. I'd say it's fairly meanspirited. Does she mellow out as the series progresses?

A little late to reply to this, but yes, she does, I want to say season 4 is where they start toning down the constant yelling from the characters, and by season 6 it's almost gone completely. Louise over the last few seasons has been much more mellow. Gene too.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Look at the animation on the gun twirling, making his hand bob around, the subtle blue on the gun, the way Marge's eyes move with respect to the perspective of the camera

There used to be such awesome passionate animators working on this show, makes you sad to see it

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Toxic Mental posted:

Look at the animation on the gun twirling, making his hand bob around, the subtle blue on the gun, the way Marge's eyes move with respect to the perspective of the camera
You can see it in the curl of the rocking chair. Marge's eyelashes stick up on end. Smoke billows upward, drawing the eye upward, increasing scope... I'm just amazed, really, that after 30 years of watching and analyzing the same cartoon show I'm able to find new dimensions. It's a testament to the work.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text

Toxic Mental posted:

There used to be such awesome passionate animators working on this show, makes you sad to see it

I'd wager it's more inspiring to the animators and storyboard artists to work off of good scripts instead of the algorithm-generated poo poo they're churning out these days.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm a cartoon geek, have framed animation cels hanging in my apartment, some of which if you were to break in front of me I'd be going to prison for years or decades by the time I was done with you, so I'm very biased but I sometimes honestly think completely old school 2D animation should be resurrected / dug up and used again. No digital coloring, no digital touch ups, the works. But I recognize that would be lunacy, if you fight against progress you will lose, it costs a ton of time and a lot of money to do properly, companies would generally rather poo poo on a plate and eat it than expend this, etc.

Besides... the newer animation methods used in The Simpsons compared to the classic seasons could always be worse. Much worse.

And the first few seasons had lots of errors, like the "mouths going the opposite ways of the heads" errors so... I forget where I was going with this.

Zhumma posted:

I'd wager it's more inspiring to the animators and storyboard artists to work off of good scripts instead of the algorithm-generated poo poo they're churning out these days.

Oh right, this. "Hank Scorpio shows up" vs. "Random zany adventure # ${VAR}" as we increment into 2020 is... yeah...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

CHEF!!! posted:

And the first few seasons had lots of errors, like the "mouths going the opposite ways of the heads" errors

These were deliberate. They called it a “twist”

Yeah, I know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I don’t care how bad an animator you are, you don’t draw the RObot frame(s) accidentally

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CHEF!!! posted:

I'm a cartoon geek, have framed animation cels hanging in my apartment, some of which if you were to break in front of me I'd be going to prison for years or decades by the time I was done with you, so I'm very biased but I sometimes honestly think completely old school 2D animation should be resurrected / dug up and used again. No digital coloring, no digital touch ups, the works. But I recognize that would be lunacy, if you fight against progress you will lose, it costs a ton of time and a lot of money to do properly, companies would generally rather poo poo on a plate and eat it than expend this, etc.

I remember an interview with someone about this. I believe it was Seth McFarlane talking about the episode of Family Guy where Stewie and Brian do their road trip through the multi-verse, and one of the mutli-verses is a Disney version of Family Guy, and they wanted to get the animation done traditionally, and it was completely impossible because zero people do it anymore. There are a lot of people who know HOW to do it, but real expertise about how to produce it is completely gone from this world.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I know Steve Ressel, the animation lead on Invader Zim, was talking in the commentaries about how after the show ended the Korean studio they were partnered with had absolutely zero demand for the kinds of cinematic camera angles and movements he was directing. It also crops up in conspiracy theory circles about NASA saying we don't have the technology to go to the moon anymore. That kind of institutional knowledge gets lost if there's no avenue to apply it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched the B-Sharps episode last night (it’s great), but i never got the clever “joke” behind the name, like what else is there besides B# being a musical note?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well it's the "Be Sharps", i.e. "be cool"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I watched the B-Sharps episode last night (it’s great), but i never got the clever “joke” behind the name, like what else is there besides B# being a musical note?

I've been wondering that for a while myself, and I think it just ends at "It's not a real note," and it's not nearly as clever as everyone says.

It's a music nerd joke but not really anything else but it's important you acknowledge how clever I am for knowing that by saying how clever the writers are and how most people don't get it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

It might have been waaaaay back in this or the meme thread, but I read another layer to the joke is that "The Be Sharps" is a play on the "The Be Dulls."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They also acknowledge in episode that it's a name that seems clever at first but quickly loses its charm

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Doggles posted:

It might have been waaaaay back in this or the meme thread, but I read another layer to the joke is that "The Be Sharps" is a play on the "The Be Dulls."

holy poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

Eh

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It gets less clever ever time I hear it

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
you see, "sneed's feed & seed" established a precedent for the name of the business being the owner's name + two words that rhyme with the name. when you learn that the previous name of the business was "chuck's"... well, that's where the mind must fill in the gaps

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PostNouveau posted:

I remember an interview with someone about this. I believe it was Seth McFarlane talking about the episode of Family Guy where Stewie and Brian do their road trip through the multi-verse, and one of the mutli-verses is a Disney version of Family Guy, and they wanted to get the animation done traditionally, and it was completely impossible because zero people do it anymore. There are a lot of people who know HOW to do it, but real expertise about how to produce it is completely gone from this world.

I mean someone still knows how to do it, because Netflix came out with a gorgeous traditionally animated movie recently called Klaus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean someone still knows how to do it, because Netflix came out with a gorgeous traditionally animated movie recently called Klaus.

And that was specifically done by ex-Disney animators who wanted to imagine what traditional animation would look like if it had been allowed to develop independent of CGI; notably, they considered even the "golden age" features like Beauty & the Beast et al. to be flawed in that they looked like "stickers on painted backgrounds". So Klaus was intended to explore what traditional animation would look like if its studio-supported goal were to make the characters look more like they naturally coexisted with the artistic style of the backgrounds.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

and it was fuckin gorgeous

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wait, are we talking "traditionally animated" as in drawing all the frames manually, or "traditionally animated" as in paint on cels? Because Klaus uses a lot of fancy technology, matching hand-drawn animation done in Toon Boom with a fancy proprietary system for lighting and texturing, and even some CGI for some complex rigid objects like the ferry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_58ocvTk-Q

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 11, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It's possible that something Mission Hill-related is being teased.
https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/...ghtmode%3Dfalse

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Plan Z posted:

It's possible that something Mission Hill-related is being teased.
https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/...ghtmode%3Dfalse

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1215064633813286912

Less teased and more kinda explicitly confirmed :v:

How do you even make a new Mission Hill show in 2019 without it turning really bitter, considering how the twee SF/etc neighborhoods it was based on have developed?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I just hope they keep the mockery of hipsters going in any Mission Hill reboot at the very least. I'll watch it for what it is which is my stance on any and all reboots being made today.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
In 2006ish a Mission Hill reboot got canceled when Adult Swim got the bid in for continued and broader Fox syndication. Later they tried to crowdfund one and it failed. But perhaps third time will be the charm

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There is a lot to say about society and human interaction these days, but we just can't let go of "gotta poo poo on folks it's the only way to do humor."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Plan Z posted:

There is a lot to say about society and human interaction these days, but we just can't let go of "gotta poo poo on folks it's the only way to do humor."

I mean there are LOTS of places to go for humor that isn’t expressly about making fun of people, but fans of Mission Hill don’t want that. There is a very specific form of Californian I could watch an easy 3 seasons of getting dunked on.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I had trouble finding a good way to say it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Californian? I always thought it was NY. This is very unsettling.

In any case late 90s-early 00s nostalgia is probably going to be one of the next big trends. Just set it in the past, who gives a poo poo. Not the people who are going to watch a MH reboot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The cultural elements and the specifics of day-to-day life always felt NY-ish but the name "Mission Hill" is loudly West Coast. I'm thinking they had their eye on the East Bay industrial-block lofts (Oakland/Hayward) that were in the process of being arted up at the time

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Data Graham posted:

The cultural elements and the specifics of day-to-day life always felt NY-ish but the name "Mission Hill" is loudly West Coast.

There's a neighborhood in Boston called mission hill; I don't think the name places it anywhere more than anywhere else

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh god... it better be good. It's my favorite series of all time.

also, this is pretty lol :

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Riptor posted:

There's a neighborhood in Boston called mission hill; I don't think the name places it anywhere more than anywhere else

Well poo poo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The show always did give me more of like a Boston/Pittsburgh vibe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was a fun show. I like the literal daggers they'd stare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've got a buddy who looks like Jim and sounds like Brian Posehn, so my brothers and I always call Jim his name and I just had to look it up Jim's name (it's Jim)

well, that's my story