Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
this has been linked here before, but while we’re on the topic, from http://www.newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm

Eurasia is, of course, the Soviet Union, which Orwell assumes will have absorbed the whole European continent. Eurasia, therefore, includes all of Europe, plus Siberia, and its population is 95 per cent European by any standard. Nevertheless, Orwell describes the Eurasians as 'solid-looking men with expressionless Asiatic faces'. Since Orwell still lives in a time when 'European' and 'Asiatic' are equivalent to ' 'hero' and 'villain', it is impossible to inveigh against the Soviet Union with the proper emotion if it is not thought of as 'Asiatic'. This comes under the heading of what Orwellian Newspeak calls 'double-think', something that Orwell, like any human being, is good at.
It may be, of course, that Orwell is thinking not of Eurasia, or the Soviet Union, but of his great bęte noire, Stalin. Stalin is a Georgian, and Georgia, lying south of the Caucasus mountains, is, by strict geographic considerations, part of Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This has led me down a rabbit hole of Wikipedia on 1984 ~worldbuilding~ and it seems like most of the totalitarian elements aren't really about "the regime controlling society" because the majority of society isn't subject to constant surveillance or special political language. Only rank and file members of the revolutionary party are. So he's really writing against how he viewed the implementation of democratic centralism.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Can't believe they missed that one in high school lit!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1934/08/ame.htm

While the romantic numskulls of Nazi Germany are dreaming of restoring the old race of Europe’s Dark Forest to its original purity, or rather its original filth, you Americans, after taking a firm grip on your economic machinery and your culture, will apply genuine scientific methods to the problem of eugenics. Within a century, out of your melting pot of races there will come a new breed of men – the first worthy of the name of Man.

i know it's not the point you are trying to make here but im laughing p hard at this part

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ferrinus posted:

this has been linked here before, but while we’re on the topic, from http://www.newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm

Eurasia is, of course, the Soviet Union, which Orwell assumes will have absorbed the whole European continent. Eurasia, therefore, includes all of Europe, plus Siberia, and its population is 95 per cent European by any standard. Nevertheless, Orwell describes the Eurasians as 'solid-looking men with expressionless Asiatic faces'. Since Orwell still lives in a time when 'European' and 'Asiatic' are equivalent to ' 'hero' and 'villain', it is impossible to inveigh against the Soviet Union with the proper emotion if it is not thought of as 'Asiatic'. This comes under the heading of what Orwellian Newspeak calls 'double-think', something that Orwell, like any human being, is good at.
It may be, of course, that Orwell is thinking not of Eurasia, or the Soviet Union, but of his great bęte noire, Stalin. Stalin is a Georgian, and Georgia, lying south of the Caucasus mountains, is, by strict geographic considerations, part of Asia.

I’ve read this book twice and never caught this. grim af

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910043 :siren:

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle posted:

ban homex

:eyepop:

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/micahuetricht/status/1215308830239793153?s=19

Lmao.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

if there is one word i want to ban from leftist social media it is definitely 'grift'

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i wanted to ban gritty, as soon as i saw it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gritty was funny for a few days but like most fun things, it gets ran into the ground by the worst dorks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Homeless Friend posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rip gritty

posed once with cops and died

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Gritty was never funny or good and that whole chapter was embarrassing for everyone involved.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There was a time when I felt like I stood alone against gritty on this board

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol just remembered that loving Pittsburgh DSA put out a poster or tweet graphic or something with Gritty on it, Philadelphia Flyers logo included.

The Philadelphia Flyers are not a popular team in that neck of the woods, to say the least.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

omg

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

gently caress the flyers

coathat
May 21, 2007

comrade juggalos

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol just remembered that loving Pittsburgh DSA put out a poster or tweet graphic or something with Gritty on it, Philadelphia Flyers logo included.

The Philadelphia Flyers are not a popular team in that neck of the woods, to say the least.

a real self own there

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

i cant believe i missed this lmao

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

oh wow

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

flyers are the only nhl team i could ever get tickets to see play at their home arena so gently caress gritty but don't talk poo poo about my flyers :colbert:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I wore a Crosby jersey to a Pens @ Flyers game one time and have never heard the word “human being” yelled in public so much in my life

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

GalacticAcid posted:

I wore a Crosby jersey to a Pens @ Flyers game one time and have never heard the word “human being” yelled in public so much in my life

what do you expect its philly they'll gently caress your poo poo up even if you're santa and then eat horse poo poo to celebrate

greatest city in america

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
wasn’t complaining, merely recounting

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Epic comrade baby yoda

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Algund Eenboom posted:

Epic comrade baby yoda

Lol just remembered that loving Dagobah DSA put out a poster or tweet graphic or something with Baby Yoda on it, Imperial sigil included

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Percelus posted:

what do you expect its philly they'll gently caress your poo poo up even if you're santa and then eat horse poo poo to celebrate

greatest city in america

critical support for yelling 'human being' at people?... :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

please don’t make gritty horny. horny is prohibited