Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lodin posted:

It wasn't about the good Pokemon game! :argh:

Yes it was, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was the first thing they talked about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve checked out of Pokemon until it gets a full reboot as Pokemon of the wild.

Pokémon Ranger when you cowards

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Araxxor posted:

Love to see Pokemon joining in on the classic "let's cut out content and sell it as paid DLC" Nintendo has been doing with the Switch.

How much of the expansion pass stuff has actually been found in the base game files? I mean Sword and Shield were cracked open weeks before they got to launch even so something must have been found by now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Montalvo posted:

Hey how do I stop sucking at Into the Breach?

Every mission is going to spiral out of control, so the more control you can maintain early on, the less it'll spiral later. It's a lot like chess, in that you can't just plan for your current turn, but need to be looking 2 or 3 turns ahead. Bumping a bug out of the way this turn might save a city, but you might be bumping them into an even worse position next turn when more bugs surface.

Your absolute #1 priority every turn is ensuring no cities get blown up. The bonuses for this will form a positive spiral that will make it easier to save all the cities on later missions and get even more bonuses. Permanently removing enemies by blowing them up or dunking them in the water is your next priority, because you don't have to account for dead enemies in later turns. Don't be afraid to sacrifice the health of your units to park them on emergence points either, trading 1 HP to keep an entire enemy unit off the board can make a huge difference. You also want your units to take hits for cities if that's your only choice, as long as it doesn't kill the unit. Ideally every mission will end with all cities safe and your units all on the verge of death (but not dead), because that means you used every resource available to you to keep the situation in check.

It's been too long since I last played to give serious upgrade advice, but I dimly remember upgrading weapons made the most difference since that let me remove more enemies from the board per turn. Movement range was another big one, since that gives you more positioning options to work with.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's a lot like chess, in that you can't just plan for your current turn, but need to be looking 2 or 3 turns ahead.

I think this is the main issue I am facing at the moment. Coincidentally, I am loving terrible at chess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How much of the expansion pass stuff has actually been found in the base game files? I mean Sword and Shield were cracked open weeks before they got to launch even so something must have been found by now.

literally none of it pretty sure lol

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Like, gently caress sometimes I WISH it were true in every case that DLC is always cut content made to sell later.

Then it wouldn't fell like it takes forever to come out in some cases even though it's a good thing when devs take their time on stuff.

gently caress maybe the Bioshock Infinite DLC would have better by a smidgen if it was all ready-made and ready to go in 2013 because they actively made parts of the base game story worse while working on the last part of the DLC. Because they thought by doing what they did in one specific instance they were fixing problems the base game had listening to the feedback.

But the story just got worse! Things would have been better off if they had just gone the quick and greedy route and made all the DLC pre-made combat arena fluff.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Eshop sale just launched

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Montalvo posted:

In a multitude of ways but when it comes to Into the Breach I usually have a very hard time with map control and keeping the grid powered. I can usually make it past the first island but barely, and on subsequent islands I either get killed or just take one too many hits to the buildings. I'm usually unable to kill off more than a handful of enemies, so on most maps I am constantly scrambling to mitigate damage, rather than being on the offensive.

e: also Stardew Valley is on sale for 10 bucks on the e-shop https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/stardew-valley-switch/

some random rear end tips:

Unlock pilots, some of the skills like immunity to binding, extra move after attack, and double-tap are game-changers. The pilot with immunity to smoke/webbing is borderline required to use the electric smoke squad (with the Jet Mech). If you are given a reward choice as a mission, always take a pilot you haven't unlocked above anything else.

don't do the intuitive tactical thing of having your artillery units stand back, it's generally better in most cases to have your units in the center

Some squads are notably bad at certain missions- the electric whip squad for instance is awful at the train missions and you should avoid missions with "defend the train" as an optional objective whenever possible. Similarly, the fire squad is generally amazing but not great at the "destroy the dam" missions because unless you equip new weapons, you have no direct damage ability.

Your squad is full-healed for free after every mission. Consider health a resource like anything else- just be careful that you didn't misread things and accidentally take a 3-damage shot with your 2-health mech

Environmental damage/effects, and status effect damage are done first in the enemy turn order. This means that any enemy standing in an insta-kill spot *from the environment* can be ignored, because it will die before it can do anything. Similarly, any enemy which is on fire and has 1HP left will die at the start of the next turn. Note that this does *not* apply to NPC attacks, which includes the insta-kill exhaust from the rocket launches in certain missions.

Many squads have a mech whose power is basically just moving enemies around - if you're in a mission with water/lava or environmental hazards, always look for opportunities to insta-kill enemies with this. The final mission is absurdly easy if you have a fully decked out teleport mech, for instance, because there are so many environmental hazards to exploit.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 9, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

That's a pretty nice price drop on Mario+Rabbids.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Eshop sale just launched

LA Norie.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Eshop sale just launched

Anyone who hasn't bought Celeste yet - get it.

And as a Splatoon fan, I don't understand why it's still that expensive. They stopped doing Splatfests a long while back...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

At this point they should really be dropping ARMS lower than that lol

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Montalvo posted:

Play on Easy until you get a feel for the mech teams, vek types, and upgrade options.

Make sure you are swapping out the 2 generic starting pilots for the ones you find in time pods, then selling the old pilots for stars.

Instant kills from water or environment hazards are crucial.

If you have to choose between saving a building or completing a bonus objective, complete the bonus objective. Not only do you get the reward from the objective, but doing all the bonus objectives on an island gives you an extra reward. Not losing any buildings on an island just gives you an achievement.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Not putting every pokemon in the game at launch: bad
Adding missing pokemon later: also bad, apparently

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do people still play ARMS online? I might hop on later if so, its fun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Eshop sale just launched

lmao remember Arms? Turns out that franchise didn't have...

legs.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tipps posted:

If you have to choose between saving a building or completing a bonus objective, complete the bonus objective. Not only do you get the reward from the objective, but doing all the bonus objectives on an island gives you an extra reward. Not losing any buildings on an island just gives you an achievement.

I forgot how bonuses work, definitely do this instead of what I said.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Augus posted:

At this point they should really be dropping ARMS lower than that lol

It seems like everybody who played it liked it, but the problem was nobody was dropping sixty bucks on a gimmicky fighter that launched the same day as Zelda. If they made it a free pack-in with new Switches I bet they could turn Arms into a really popular IP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I forgot how bonuses work, definitely do this instead of what I said.

also, unless your grid damage is becoming serious, prioritize pods as well- in terms of "currency" (reputation) reactor cores are worth 3, and grid is worth 1. I believe pods, when they show up are also considered a bonus objective.

Generally, unless you badly need it, your reputation should be spent on cores, using the "change" to buy grid.

One other thing (mostly applies to the fire squad)- enemies will not deliberately move onto flaming squares unless they're already on fire - you can use this to protect cities from melee attacks. Cities also do not take any damage from being set on fire.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cities also do not take any damage from being set on fire.

:thunk:

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

lmao remember Arms? Turns out that franchise didn't have...

legs.

Although they might be able to punch up the franchise with a progressive sequel.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Eshop sale just launched

I wasn't expecting to see Mario Kart on sale pretty much ever, so that's cool.

How does D:OS2 play on Switch? I definitely want to play through that at some point, but up until now I was planning to get it on Steam.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh and if you weren't, make sure you click the stick and check the turn order. You need this if you want to see if it's possible to take out an enemy attacking a city with friendly fire, for instance

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

The Praying Mantis pilot is a strong starter. His passive replaces your heal with a 2 HP push, which can make some of the utility mechs a little more flexible in the early going, before they get unlocks and really start rolling.

Also, play on Easy until you figure it out. Or just play entirely on easy. Whatever. You don't have anything to prove.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 9, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bolt Lux posted:

Although they might be able to punch up the franchise with a progressive sequel.

That's a stretch

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How do i stop sucking if i'm already playing on easy?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I don't know that I ever would have gotten good at Into the Breach if I hadn't watched someone way smarter than me play. Tom Francis did a short series of videos where he talks out loud about his thought process each turn, and that made the game insanely easier for me to parse and think ahead on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnuVVfXy2Xo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HenryEx posted:

How do i stop sucking if i'm already playing on easy?

unlock the fire squad and burn the entire map to a crisp, while also maxxing out the teleport range so you can basically just move any enemy on the board to any square on the board. fire squad kicks rear end

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Nibble posted:

I wasn't expecting to see Mario Kart on sale pretty much ever, so that's cool.

How does D:OS2 play on Switch? I definitely want to play through that at some point, but up until now I was planning to get it on Steam.

It works great. A bit long-ish load times but that’s all.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Nibble posted:

It plays very well, big recommendation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grabbed Bomberman and the Castlevania/Contra collections via that sale.

Gripweed posted:

It seems like everybody who played it liked it, but the problem was nobody was dropping sixty bucks on a gimmicky fighter that launched the same day as Zelda. If they made it a free pack-in with new Switches I bet they could turn Arms into a really popular IP.

Arms wasn’t a launch title like Zelda. It came out a few months after. I enjoyed it but it needed more. I’d be interested in a bigger story mode that fleshed out the fighters.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 9, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grim Fandango is cheaper than a modest latte.

I don't want people asking me about Grim Fandango.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Huxley posted:

The Praying Mantis pilot is a strong starter. His passive replaces your heal with a 2 HP push, which can make some of the utility mechs a little more flexibility in the early going, before they get unlocks and really start rolling.

Also, play on Easy until you figure it out. Or just play entirely on easy. Whatever. You don't have anything to prove.

Disregarding the spoiler, that pilot is particularly hard to unlock and not one someone just starting the game would be able to get easily. Took me a while to get those guys, though luckily she was the first.

I also suggest playing on Easy, it throws less poo poo at you, giving you time to understand things before moving up to the harder difficulties.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As with everything in BotW there's a few ways around that problem, and yours is the most expensive

Getting the lizards is still in my top 3 BotW Memories. I snagged the last one and delivered them by gliding all the way down on the last few seconds of my final free potion. It was such a relief.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Disregarding the spoiler, that pilot is particularly hard to unlock and not one someone just starting the game would be able to get easily. Took me a while to get those guys, though luckily she was the first.

Didn't even think of it as a spoiler, whoops.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
I love Bayonetta 1 and 2 and have never played a Devil May Cry. Will I enjoy DMC on Switch?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Model Camper posted:

I love Bayonetta 1 and 2 and have never played a Devil May Cry. Will I enjoy DMC on Switch?

The first one?

Its a little dated and nowhere near as fluid as bayonetta but you could do worse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I had one wish but it could only be videogame related, I would wish roguelikes do not exist and never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Model Camper posted:

Wait a week they should be announcing DMC3 at the Nintendo direct, much better version, better effort port, should go live in the eShop that day

Edit: oh yeah there should be a Nintendo direct next Thursday