Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They are separate Ordos that act independently from the main three. As inquisitors go about their duty their interests/focus might change and that’s where the ordos and their focus/specialities come into play. I believe a lot of the smaller ordos (Ordos Minoris I think they are called?) were created for the 40k pen and paper games, so I don’t know if they are considered canon or not.

The Ordos Minoris are in the recent White Dwarf I mentioned, complete with rules and stats for making your own tabletop Inquisitor within one of the Ordos Minoris. I’d say they’re still “canon”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

The Ordos Minoris are in the recent White Dwarf I mentioned, complete with rules and stats for making your own tabletop Inquisitor within one of the Ordos Minoris. I’d say they’re still “canon”.

Oh, nice! Did they include the Ordos that was in charge or monitoring feudal worlds for chaos/heresy? I always liked them the best - it was fun to think of them as grimdark anthropologists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods this week. Great book, but it was slightly ruined by the rushed cliffhanger ending. But that's probably what you're going to get when the antagonist is a recognizable character.

Started reading Scourge of Fate now. The description of the Varanspire and its surroundings is really good. Although I couldn't help but to roll my eyes when they called Sigmar a False God. Feels like that was just a step away from calling him a Corpse King.

They call all the non chaos gods False Gods. Like their name for the Chaos Gods is "The True Gods"

Also I imagine the cliff hanger is because they have another Hamilcar book planned. Also I am glad that Ikit partially succeeded in his plan.

Sextro posted:

That's stupid and further proof that fantasy is trash. Blood for the Blood God.

I posted details on that just a little while ago. Slaanesh has more potential then the other chaos gods because it is not linked to just one emotion but all emotions as long as they are intense. While Khorne will be empowered by bloodletting Slaanesh will too if it's done to excess.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 7, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

The Jokaero and their weirdly high tech goes all the way back to 1e. It seems like every other author who writes a high-powered Imperial gives them a fistful as holdout weapons (and sign of status).
Yeah but there are comparatively few minis that actually had them modelled on over the years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh, nice! Did they include the Ordos that was in charge or monitoring feudal worlds for chaos/heresy? I always liked them the best - it was fun to think of them as grimdark anthropologists.

Not that I recall - the article only named a handful, but it said there are a ton that weren’t listed.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The Jokaero and their weirdly high tech goes all the way back to 1e. It seems like every other author who writes a high-powered Imperial gives them a fistful as holdout weapons (and sign of status).

I remember them as a special loadout item card in Space Crusade and being a bit confused as to what exactly they were and why the captain with the giant glove would also have some rings or something.

Space Crusade - the gateway to 40k (like how Hero Quest was baby's first FB). Epic scale titan miniature passed off as a "chaos dreadnaught" (with extremely cool model that you could change the guns on), "androids" which would later become necrons and missions where you'd be fighting off the combined, allied forces of chaos marines, orcs, oddly tall gretchen, necrons and genestealers.

The expansion had "tarantula" gun pods and even more ridiculously oversized weapons to clip awkwardly onto your squad

Tell me someone else remembers this...

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I still have it in almost perfect condition. Not 100% playable since a few of the Space Marine weapons got stuck over the years or snapped and had to be glued, but you are just gonna stick all the heavy weapons onto your squad anyway so it really just affects the Sergeants. Game even holds up pretty well TBH, although the last time I played it we had bodged together a bigger map using FFG's Doom and similar tiles to play Capture the Flag with NPC "Chaos".

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I had Hero Quest and Space Crusade on the Amstrad CPC (and later on the Atari ST). Kinda sucked not being able to customise it though. And the dice rolls were blatantly rigged to the point of me angrily switching off. Fuckin' Rambo gretchin taking out near entire squad.

Did anyone else find Space Hulk impossible, both boardgame and original video games? (I had it on Amiga and later PC). It just seemed so insanely stacked against the marine player and impossible to get anywhere past a corridor

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Space Hulk always had a much steeper learning curve for Marine players than for the Genestealers, but it was surprisingly well balanced once you got past that.

But getting to that point was a frustrating slog, and wouldn't be fun at all against a computer opponent.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also I imagine the cliff hanger is because they have another Hamilcar book planned. Also I am glad that Ikit partially succeeded in his plan.

Yeah that's obviously the plan but the ending feels a bit Dan Abnett in my eyes. But it won't be the first time I've been burned by a BL book that ends with a massive cliffhanger and a sequel never shows up.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

moths posted:

Space Hulk always had a much steeper learning curve for Marine players than for the Genestealers, but it was surprisingly well balanced once you got past that.

But getting to that point was a frustrating slog, and wouldn't be fun at all against a computer opponent.

What was the secret? Because I always found the boardgame ended up a stalemate with me firing down a corridor on overwatch while 'blips' ganged up around a corner and computer version ended up with me being stormed and everything going to ratshit very, very quickly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Advanced Space Crusade (Marine Scouts on a Tyrannid vessel) had a pretty slick set of rules; it was their best skirmish game for a while. My unpublished second issue of Imperial Dispatches had rules for Eldar for the system; ping me if anyone wants a PDF.

Actually, that's the only boxed tactical game from that era I'm familiar with, is it anything like Necromunda as a skirmish game ?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's been a while, but the biggest things were 1) never stop advancing, 2) force lurking, and 3) use your flamer as terrain-generator.

Flaming empty spaces seems like wasting a limited resource, and getting close to blip entry feels suicidal. Neither really jump out as good moves, but it's hard to win more advanced missions without using those.

Overwatch should be done sparingly since it eats half your normal movement. Clearing mission objectives fast is essential.

Always turn or step & shoot when it's an option (ie: don't open doors when you can destroy them for free).

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

moths posted:

Always turn or step & shoot when it's an option (ie: don't open doors when you can destroy them for free).

All great advice I could have done with back then! My strategies were always too plodding and methodical. i'd have been a great Iron Warrior :(

Interesting you mention the door thing. On the Amiga version the computer controlled marines would always fire and clear the doors out of the way and I'd get pissed off because I was thinking like Aliens (xenomorph movie) and thought keeping them sealed out for as long as possible was the better move.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Xenomrph posted:

The November issue of White Dwarf has a bit about Inquisitors and mentions that Jokaero make “digital weapons” and lists off ring-weapons and finger lasers as examples. “Digital weapons” in this context means “weapons one wears on their digits (fingers)”, right? Like basically miniaturized weapons?

I also didn’t realize the Inquisition had smaller Ordos outside of the main three, and the examples they gave were hilarious (literal time-cops, or the group that does gently caress knows what, and the other group whose sole mission is figuring what the gently caress the first group does).

I always liked the stuff about the Ordo Time Cops all vanishing/ceasing to exist for a few hundred years, and then one day just suddenly existing again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I always liked the stuff about the Ordo Time Cops all vanishing/ceasing to exist for a few hundred years, and then one day just suddenly existing again.

What is this from?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

What is this from?

I think one of the FFG rpgs

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rites of Passage was really good. What other new and good 40k books are there?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So exactly how hosed up are Servitors? I thought they were just mindless automaton robots made to fulfill basic functions. But they are organic, living beings in some sense and I had no idea until some random, unimportant descriptions in the HH novels mention this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So exactly how hosed up are Servitors? I thought they were just mindless automaton robots made to fulfill basic functions. But they are organic, living beings in some sense and I had no idea until some random, unimportant descriptions in the HH novels mention this.

On a scale from 1 to 10? Existential horror. Depending on the writer, either they're someone who has been lobotomized so severely that they can just barely remeber enough to do the last order they were given (Ravenor) or their memory is mostly intact, and they're effectively locked out of their own body and slave to the machines stuffed into their skulls (Priests of Mars)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Randalor posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10? Existential horror. Depending on the writer, either they're someone who has been lobotomized so severely that they can just barely remeber enough to do the last order they were given (Ravenor) or their memory is mostly intact, and they're effectively locked out of their own body and slave to the machines stuffed into their skulls (Priests of Mars)

It also partially depends on why you get servitorized, right? If it's as punishment, oh boy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Randalor posted:

Some of them are nearly-mummified corpses stuffed with machine bits

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Hollow Mountain was excellent if you've read Carrion Throne. The Great Work is another must read. I enjoyed Mark of Faith as well.

I'd suggest the Horusian War series if you haven't read it. I know you said 40k, but all 3 siege of terra books have been excellent if you are interested in 30k.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the difference between the Horusian War and the Horus Heresy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Vaults of Terra books are just really really good =][= books. Can't wait for the third one.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the difference between the Horusian War and the Horus Heresy?

The Horusians are a radical faction of the Inquisition. One of a few that are looking for a way to resurrect the Emperor. Horusians believe that the same chaos power Horus gained could be used to create a divine avatar that would be strong enough to be a vessel for a resurrected emperor. If only Horus had been stronger he could have been in control of his power instead of a puppet of Chaos is their thinking.

Horusians are one of a few factions in the Inquisition that want to resurrect emps, but being radicals they think they can use Chaos to do it. As a result Horusians hide their beliefs and pretend to be a "normal" Inquisitor to avoid getting declared Traitors.

The series has to do with some Horusian inquisitors. So it's basically the Inquisition inquisitioning itself. It's John French's best work by far. There are two books in the trilogy and another that has short stories for each of the main Inquisitor's retinue that dive into their backgrounds and motivation. To be quite honest if he can finish the series while maintaining the quality of the first two it will be right up there alongside Eisenhorn and Ravenor as excellent Inquisition related series.

As the poster above said, the Vaults of Terra series is another really good Inquisition series. Mark of Faith has two main characters and one is an incredibly tragic and well written Inquisitor whose motivation is a lot different than most of the ones we see written. The Inquisition has been getting a lot of real good love lately.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

Advanced Space Crusade (Marine Scouts on a Tyrannid vessel) had a pretty slick set of rules; it was their best skirmish game for a while. My unpublished second issue of Imperial Dispatches had rules for Eldar for the system; ping me if anyone wants a PDF.

Actually, that's the only boxed tactical game from that era I'm familiar with, is it anything like Necromunda as a skirmish game ?
Sadly I never got to play it. I've seen a few components floating around over the years but not enough to even begin to work out how it differs from the original.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Some of them are nearly-mummified corpses stuffed with machine bits
Some of them are vat-grown to not have brains in the first place too. It really varies from author to author and how much they want to emphasise the body horror of it all. In the Games Day exclusive little hardbacks from 2010-2012-ish there's a whole series of stories about some random Administratum dude who helps some Iron Hands out in combat (distracts an Ork at the right moment or something) and gets servitorised as a "reward", and then details his life afterwards in the next year's book.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the best part about those is one is a flamethrower, one shoots poison darts, and one does absolutely nothing and if you're not a techno-genius orangutan which one is which is a total mystery until you activate it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Biplane posted:

I just finished the first two Siege of Terra books and they're good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The limited edition of Sons of Selenar will be releasing on Saturday. It's the first novella in the Siege of Terra series. Written by Graham McNeil

quote:

Sons of the Selenar follows Graham’s Shattered Legions heroes, as seen in his Horus Heresy stories ‘Kryptos’, Angel Exterminatus and The Seventh Serpent, bringing them into the perils of the Siege on a hazardous mission that could change the fate of the galaxy. Check out the blurb for the story, fresh from Black Library:

My plan of getting the entire SoT series in LE editions was maybe not the best one. I did not expect the novellas to get LE editions and I am not aware of BL ever doing that.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm making my first foray into Black Library because I started playing 40k recently and I like the lore. I read Xenos and I really liked it, but I just finished Malleus and I liked that much less. It seems a lot less focused and a lot more meandering so it didn't click as much. Is that a common judgement? How does Hereticus stack up to those two?

I also got Mechanicum from the Horus Heresy to read as a one-off because I love anything to do with the cog boys. Its style is a lot less polished than Eisenhorn but the world building is great. If I want more Adeptus Mechanicus fiction where should I go next, is it The Great Work?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Boing posted:

I'm making my first foray into Black Library because I started playing 40k recently and I like the lore. I read Xenos and I really liked it, but I just finished Malleus and I liked that much less. It seems a lot less focused and a lot more meandering so it didn't click as much. Is that a common judgement? How does Hereticus stack up to those two?

I also got Mechanicum from the Horus Heresy to read as a one-off because I love anything to do with the cog boys. Its style is a lot less polished than Eisenhorn but the world building is great. If I want more Adeptus Mechanicus fiction where should I go next, is it The Great Work?

The Great Work is a bit too tied up in the current unfolding 40k storyline to be read as a standalone I think, plus the revelations in it aren't very exciting if you haven't got that grounding. It doesn't have much else going for it besides that too, pretty standard stoic Marines fighting stoically.

If you want good Mechanicus action check out Titanicus, really excellent book about a Titan Legion and it also elaborates on the complexity of the Imperium and Mechanicus' relationship regarding their religions.

The Priests of Mars series by Graham McNeil is pretty good for that too, lots of kooky characters and fun set pieces. Titanicus is better though.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boing posted:

Titanicus has a lot of AdMech IIRC. Baneblade is also fun, it features a lot of IG with a Tech Priest that works in the baneblade. After that read Spears of the Emperor it is by far the best Space Marine novel I've read yet. Turns out not all Space Marines are stuck up dicks all the time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Boing posted:

If you've read Xenos and Malleus, then I would say go ahead and read Hereticus. I enjoyed all three, but Malleus is probably the weaker one of the three, and was probably the point where he added the most padding (if I recall, he intended to write one novel and ended up having enough material to justify 3, so he did) and is the least essential to the plot, but does set up Eisenhorn at the peak of his power and office, and helps set up the events of Hereticus.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Malleus and Hereticus should probably be viewed as one novel that was split into two, and if it felt like Malleus was only part of a story, well... (insert joke about Abnett's endings here)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Boing posted:

The Eye of Medusa and The Voice of Mars are all about how the admech and space marines (tbe Iron Hands specifically) work together

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

a lovely king posted:

The Great Work is a bit too tied up in the current unfolding 40k storyline to be read as a standalone I think, plus the revelations in it aren't very exciting if you haven't got that grounding. It doesn't have much else going for it besides that too, pretty standard stoic Marines fighting stoically.

If you want good Mechanicus action check out Titanicus, really excellent book about a Titan Legion and it also elaborates on the complexity of the Imperium and Mechanicus' relationship regarding their religions.

The Priests of Mars series by Graham McNeil is pretty good for that too, lots of kooky characters and fun set pieces. Titanicus is better though.

I read The Great Work without reading any of the other recent 40k stuff, but I also had a general idea about Cawl's deal. I think it's worth reading if you know/care about Cawl, and the setup is pretty exciting for the stuff to come.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Boing posted:

Also, the Ravenor Omnibus is a natural progression from the Eisenhorn novels. Especially if you get the version with the short stories. (If you can't get them, they're also in The Magos, but personally I'd recommend at least reading the Ravenor series before Magos because it adds a lot more impact the the Magos stories that are set in the same timelines)

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Magos, especially the novella at the end, was so good. I really enjoyed Pariah too, and all of these novels link together and build, so my advice would be to keep reading all of them (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Magos, Pariah) and join me in praying for Abnett to soon continue the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series.

Going into Ravenor, the middle book was probably my favorite of the three. The first felt like a lot of setup, and the third was a continuation of side stories from the first two that build to something else.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

abrosheen posted:

Magos, especially the novella at the end, was so good. I really enjoyed Pariah too, and all of these novels link together and build, so my advice would be to keep reading all of them (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Magos, Pariah) and join me in praying for Abnett to soon continue the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series.

Going into Ravenor, the middle book was probably my favorite of the three. The first felt like a lot of setup, and the third was a continuation of side stories from the first two that build to something else.

Yeah, the actual main story in Magos fuckin' rules. It's nice to read the Inquisitor books to take a break from the huge scale of most other 30/40k novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

abrosheen posted:

Has Pariah been reprinted or anything?