Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think Rascals has the most bizarre tonal dissonance, where the direction and music are all "huh, looks like we've got a problem here" but the actual words are "holy poo poo like half the lower decks just exploded, we're loving dying"

Are you sure you don't mean Disaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Rascals ended up being a much better episode then it had any right to be on paper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't imagine believing the new Picard show is gonna be good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I'm not sure how that would have worked, since Geordi wasn't originally in a leadership role, although having the surgeon be the guy with the super-vision would make sense in its own way.

In my hypothetical I’d have just cast him as the CMO instead of putting him on the bridge in the first season. I know Gene and others were obsessed with doing some “the blind man piloting the ship” thing with him, but you can wring just as much cliche out of “the once-blind man now healing others”. Then you’d have also had better connective tissue between Wesley and Beverly beyond just the mother/son dynamic if she’d been Chief Engineer. Wes’s dad just had some nebulous command role, growing up with only his mom around would have made his engineering knack make more sense instead of just attributing it to some innate genius-level ability.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beachcomber posted:

Are you sure you don't mean Disaster?

No, I'm referring to the scene where the Ferengi pirates attack the Enterprise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

No, I'm referring to the scene where the Ferengi pirates attack the Enterprise.

Guess it's time for my biennial rewatch.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Entropic posted:

I can't imagine believing the new Picard show is gonna be good.

I can imagine giving it an honest shot. But pre-believing it's going to be good, yikes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I can imagine giving it an honest shot. But pre-believing it's going to be good, yikes.

I'm not buying CBS whatever so I'm free to speculate as carelessly as I like.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
STP

How is the death toll for this attack only 3000?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

One of the more interesting things about Descent (okay the only interesting thing) was that they seriously considered crashing the Enterprise at the end of part one, with the possibility of either Crusher or Troi dying, since I think both McFadden’s and Sirtis’s contracts were up at the end of season 6.

You're correct about McFadden and Sirtis' contracts, but "seriously considered" crashing the saucer is overstating it a bit. It was in the first draft that Moore wrote (hence the title, Descent), but the producers took one look at it, got a bid for what it would cost and then they basically said "lol no" to Moore.

They were already a dead series by the time the fourth season started.

Yep. Enterprise got a fourth season by the skin of its teeth and all of the production staff--Berman, Braga, Manny Coto--were told by UPN, "You're done after season 4 unless you rebound to TNG-era ratings," which was never going to happen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

STP

Critical, but almost entirely-automated, production facilities being targetted?

It might actually end up being a plot point "they're crippling our infrastructure while minimizing casualties for some reason"

e: actually if the Borg are involved somehow, but not powerful enough anymore to just steamroll civilizations, IMO the above reasoning would make a lot of sense. Neutralize the enemy but leave as many of them alive as possible for MAXIMUM ASSIMILATION

e2: predictions based off this: Starfleet is loving with weakened Borg at that secret facility. Somehow the captive Borg learn that the new synth-type androids of the day can be basically digitally assimilated over long distances, or otherwise very easily bent to the will of the Borg, and uses them as a preliminary strike team in advance of a larger invasion/resurgence.

The scenes of Picard in the facility where they seem to be making new synths are scenes where the creators of the synths are trying to explain/justify how there's no possible way these androids could go haywire or be controlled by the Borg.

Dialogue between Data and Picard will involve Picard agonizing over the fact that he fought so hard to have Data (and other androids) recognized as real people, but now the enemy he must destroy is a bunch of androids being controlled by the Borg.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 10, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Critical, but almost entirely-automated, production facilities being targetted?

It might actually end up being a plot point "they're crippling our infrastructure while minimizing casualties for some reason"

I wouldn't have a problem with that but the SFX team might not have gotten the memo. It's hard to believe that 9/11 can kill 3000 people with two buildings collapsing but hurricane-sized nuclear explosions (with huge visible shockwaves) going off next to shipyards and cities across a planet is considered an equivalent.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with that but the SFX team might not have gotten the memo. It's hard to believe that 9/11 can kill 3000 people with two buildings collapsing but hurricane-sized nuclear explosions (with huge visible shockwaves) going off next to shipyards and cities across a planet is considered an equivalent.

Also The Xindi weapon carving a swath out of Florida (good riddance) and killing 7 million people, wheras only 3k bite it here in what looks like a larger amount of devastation. It's definitely a case of the SFX not properly informing what the story is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with that but the SFX team might not have gotten the memo.

Yeah, I could argue some justifications but in all likelihood it's this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

STP

What you don't see are the shield bubbles underneath the explosions and the emergency mass transporters snatching people out of unshielded or failing facilities.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

What you don't see are the shield bubbles underneath the explosions and the emergency mass transporters snatching people out of unshielded or failing facilities.

Yeah there's plenty of reasonable :techno: that could explain it

3000 civilians is A Lot to the feds and that's really all that matters

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

3000 civilians is A Lot to the feds and that's really all that matters

And possibly the Federation losing a huge amount of their shipbuilding capability will be plot relevant.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thom12255 posted:

Well if it was anything else, it wouldn't be an EXACT 9/11 analogue, now would it?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It's about time Star Trek did something about 9/11!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally Picard will get to the TRUTH of the matter

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plasma can’t melt tritanium plating :tinfoil:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What happened to Dome 7?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's about time Star Trek did something about 9/11!

It took some real courage to imagine "what if there was a space 9/11?" for the 5th time.

Actually if this matches up with the interview posted earlier, it might indicate that THIS space 9/11 is what turned the Federation inward and more xenophobic... which Picard will be fighting against?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only way this could be good is if was about finally loving getting over 9/11 and moving on

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

HD DAD posted:

The only way this could be good is if was about finally loving getting over 9/11 and moving on

Right, it was a shocking event that took place approximately 18 years prior to the Picard show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just discovered that the Air Force has a team called Section 31.

They're part of the Kobayashi Maru program.

It works with another program called Kessel Run, which uses a silhouette of the Millennium Falcon as a logo.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

God, I’m so worried that STP might have the characters look worried sometimes and not have all the problems solved at the end of the episode (but do have them solved at the end of the season), because then it will officially be grimdark.

The nightmare scenario is that Star Trek: Picard reflects current politics, something the franchise has never ever done before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

IF they want the Federation to be evil, they should have them sending death robots to enemy systems to vaporize political targets from space, also the surrounding area around the targeted figure such as traffic or a wedding or a hospital. Then, make every single representative of the Federation come up with mealy-mouthed reasons why this is obviously in the best interests of the galaxy as a whole.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

I just discovered that the Air Force has a team called Section 31.

They're part of the Kobayashi Maru program.

It works with another program called Kessel Run, which uses a silhouette of the Millennium Falcon as a logo.

I'm not sure what to make of this.
They also have giant magic swords. They’re loving nerds is what.

Same tbf.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

IF they want the Federation to be evil, they should have them sending death robots to enemy systems to vaporize political targets from space, also the surrounding area around the targeted figure such as traffic or a wedding or a hospital.

They sent out at least two. They didn't hit any target that Earth had political relations with at the time, though. Just civilians.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Captain Lincoln?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Thom12255 posted:

STP

Compare this to the image of the insides of the Enterprise and Discovery being giant vast voids with roller coasters of turbolifts and yeah, the vfx crew really gives a poo poo about logical/plausible looking things beside making thing looks :kickenrad:

Jar Jar Abrams was like the worst thing to happen to Trek.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The one on the right looks like a woman with a fake mustache, despite being sourced from two men

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Noah Hawley, who is attached to direct Star Trek 4, is saying that they are still working on a script and that he has a 'different vision' for how to do the movies than they have been done lately (and cites things from TNG and Wrath of Khan)

https://www.ign.com/articles/noah-hawley-hints-his-star-trek-movie-might-include-a-new-cast

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, I will not hope again. No.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Noah, we really like your idea, but in order to fund it, we need you to add Space 9/11 and Spock. It’ll really engage with our demographic.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

The one on the right looks like a woman with a fake mustache, despite being sourced from two men

Yo this is a really hosed up opinion and I will now start a three page derail by calling you out with this paragraph of personal attacks: