Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This Ashley Young thing reminds me of when Aurelio's contract expired and he left Liverpool and then like a month later Hodgson panicked and re-signed him because they weren't able to find another left back other than Konchesky lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Is there a least memorable football player than Diego Dalot?

Pretty sure if you showed me a picture of a male in their mid 20s and told me that it was Dalot id probably believe you

Dalot is only 20 and was brought to United to essentially be what United have been using Young as for the last two seasons. He’s also been injured a bunch. I’m not sure where you’re going with this because he’s a child who has barely played, I’m not sure why he would be memorable at this point

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cenk Tosun has gone to Palace on loan where he’ll probably continue his form of not scoring goals in the Premier League

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Dalot is only 20 and was brought to United to essentially be what United have been using Young as for the last two seasons. He’s also been injured a bunch. I’m not sure where you’re going with this because he’s a child who has barely played, I’m not sure why he would be memorable at this point

He's a good crosser of the ball too and I don't think it's coincidence he was signed when we had Lukaku.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

He also looked moderately useful as a full winger in the couple of games he had in the position last season. I'm sure he'll still get games, once he gets over this injury.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently Sporting's chairman and another executive are in Manchester to negotiate Bruno Fernandes' transfer to United. A deal has been agreed in principle, and United are offloading two players in part exchange, one of whom is Rojo.

Currently the big hangup is that Sporting can't afford Rojo's wage demands. Sporting have confirmed to Portuguese media that the president of the club is "abroad on business".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That can't possibly be true because it would be a good thing

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Der Shovel posted:

Apparently Sporting's chairman and another executive are in Manchester to negotiate Bruno Fernandes' transfer to United. A deal has been agreed in principle, and United are offloading two players in part exchange, one of whom is Rojo.

Currently the big hangup is that Sporting can't afford Rojo's wage demands. Sporting have confirmed to Portuguese media that the president of the club is "abroad on business".

i'm fuzzy on the details, but was that the club/player that the man united people got tricked by some random dudes pretending to be club people/agents?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
https://twitter.com/htafc/status/1215664657270296577

He has legoman hair too

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sebzilla posted:

That can't possibly be true because it would be a good thing

Agreed, it'll all fall apart somehow.

Like at this point United should just pay 50% of Rojo's salary or something, who gives a gently caress. Get him out and bring in a player who would actually a) play and b) strengthen the team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

Agreed, it'll all fall apart somehow.

Like at this point United should just pay 50% of Rojo's salary or something, who gives a gently caress. Get him out and bring in a player who would actually a) play and b) strengthen the team.

No Portuguese club can afford 50% of Rojo's salary, let alone want to pay it. United need to chip in 80% minimum.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

i'm fuzzy on the details, but was that the club/player that the man united people got tricked by some random dudes pretending to be club people/agents?

No that was Ander Herrera

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sassassin posted:

No Portuguese club can afford 50% of Rojo's salary, let alone want to pay it. United need to chip in 80% minimum.

Cool, that's still 20% saved and a useful player added to the squad. Do it Glazers, you cowards.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'm sure I'm missing loads of other greatest hits from the past couple of seasons with Woodward at the helm but a few humorous anecdotes of how incompetent they've been since Fergie left IIRC:
  • Fails to sign Ander Herrera after negotiating what they believed were 3 of his lawyers. They were not and apparently he had no knowledge or anything to do with the guys who were negotiating with the club, resulting in them not signing him that window and having to pay his full buy-out clause the following season

• Ander Herrera joins, becomes a solid midfielder for them then after 4 years, United delay renewing, leading to PSG making him an offer when he's out of contract. United go back and offer to double his wages but the ship has already sailed

• Moyes loves the ol pubehead Fellaini and tries to buy him - due to aforementioned incompetence they end up paying several million pounds more at deadline day than they would've by just paying the buy-out clause earlier in the summer

• Club record fee for Angel Di Maria - he has a couple of decent games, then gets injured, his form falters and his confidence is destroyed by van Gaal. Sold to PSG the following season at huge loss, resumes being a near world class player

• Bastien Sweinsteiger is clearly past it, has 1 poo poo season then shipped off to MLS

• Hires all around cheerful and legendarily frugal manager Jose Mourinho - subsequently refuses to entertain his expensive list of transfer targets. "The Happy One" unsurprisingly flames out, even EARLIER then his customary 3 years

• Spends £50M on a guy named Fred who's probably worse than the guy named Fred who works in your office

• Paid insane wages for Alexis Sanchez, he turns out to be insanely poo poo. Shipped off on loan to Inter at huge loss

• Record fee paid for Pogba, United youth player they let go on a free years earlier. notoriously shady agent gets millions of pounds for the privilege. When he's not practicing goal celebrations or wacky social media hijinks, he goes back and forth every month whether he wants to stay in Manchester or go to Madrid/back to Juve.

• Agree fee for their best player, GK David De Gea, to Real Madrid - due to issues with fax machine* :lol:, transfer not completed.

• Sold primary established striker Lukaku who's been good for 20+ goals/season since coming to England. Refuse to replace him.

• Marcos Rojo
I'm not even a supporter and these were just off of the top of my head :wtc:

* I'm still including this even though Madrid screwed up the fax because it's too good of a story

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So what you're saying is....

pooshited

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
it's extremely funny op and long may it continue

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sticksy posted:

[*]Paid insane wages for Alexis Sanchez, he turns out to be insanely poo poo. Shipped off on loan to Inter at huge loss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCk30hIr1Sw

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’m not going to quote the list but I have takes.

Rojo was named in the Best XI at the 2014 World Cup and started in the final. He reminds me of Juan Sebastian Vernon in that they could be very good footballers just not in the Premier League. Granted Rojo has been miles worse than Seba.

Herrera is inexcusable from United, even more when you take into consideration that he barely plays for PSG

Alexis/Di Maria/Fred - what are you going to do. Fred seems to be settling but he doesn’t offer much more than disruption. He’s not a good passer, shooter, marginal defender, but he’s good at getting in the way at this point.

Schweini, who knows.

Lukaku is more than capable of playing in a counterattacking side, two of the best goals in the 2018 World Cup was a goal scored by Belgium on the counterattack in which Lukaku was integral. He’s a flat track bully but United are losing matches against those teams while they’re competitive with the big 6.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Der Shovel posted:

This would be a good deal for Manchester, Bruno fernandes is a top 3 player in the Portuguese league and as single handedly won games for sporting, the guy is a way better player than that Trainwreck of a team deserves.i think we'll do well in the pl, but he excels in the "creative midfield" role and he's not gonna get the same time and space to execute.i think he has a extra gear in him, but we'll see.he'll probably be cheap, comparatively.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Not bold yet but Reina is going to Villa on loan, presumably with an option to buy. No word on if Gigio’s brother will be the number 2.

He is a number 2 though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Looks like a regen.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Mickolution posted:

Looks like a regen.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Impressing list but you forgot to mention Fergie’s hand-picked successor.

Hint: a winner who doesn’t win but is a winner.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Xabi posted:

Hint: a winner who doesn’t win but is a winner.

I think you'll find he led his team to a triumphant draw away to Top 5 Team Sheffield United this weekend OP

Wait hold on, I'm hearing...no...that can't be right...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xabi posted:

Moyes was never anyone's hand picked successor. He was the last minute panic appointment when the real hand-picked successor (Mourinho) fell through.

E: reports that United have offered Sporting £60m for Fernandes (to be paid in two installments) plus £10m in add-ons. BeIn Sports reporting that Sporting's directors are meeting with a "London-based club" (Spurs) to see if they're willing to offer more.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 11, 2020

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Der Shovel posted:

Moyes was never anyone's hand picked successor. He was the last minute panic appointment when the real hand-picked successor (Mourinho) fell through.

I don't remember this.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Brony Car posted:

I don't remember this.

I think it was Fergie who wanted Jose but Bobby Charlton objected that he wouldn't fit in to THE UNITED WAY™. Who could've predicted it would later end so miserably?:iiapa:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Joe Hart is being rumored as the replacement for Reina at Milan :laugh:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Joe Hart is being rumored as the replacement for Reina at Milan :laugh:

Truly we have hit bottom

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gigi Galli posted:

Truly we have hit bottom

Can't bounce until you hit bottom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everton are tryign to sign everton

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Der Shovel posted:

You made this up.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1216082410376441861?s=19

brave and humble of Mou to accept Pep's tactics and start playing midfielders in all 10 outfield positions. who needs strikers or right backs

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

You made this up.

Duncan Castles said it so it must be true.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brony Car posted:

I don't remember this.

It wasn't widely talked about in the media obviously, because after the fact everyone wanted to pretend Moyes was the best and first option. A bunch of journos and insiders who were privy to those talks at the time have since come out to tell their stories, notably Duncan Castles who is in the Mourinho inner circle and is generally regarded as a reliable guy, albeit a bootlicker of the first order.

The way he tells it, Jose was Fergie's choice. This isn't surprising because the two had a "special" relationship (according to Mourinho) and Fergie was fairly obviously grooming him as his replacement for ages.

Castles claims that talks between Jose and United got to fairly advanced stages before Abrahamovic got wind of it, and not wanting to let Jose go to a PL rival, convinced him to come back to Chelsea for another go. For a variety of reasons (wanting to be close to his family in London, wanting to prove himself to his doubters by getting it right again at Chelsea etc) Jose said yes, and United were left scrambling.

I think Moyes himself has told the story of how he was shopping at a supermarket or something, when Fergie rang him up to offer him the job on the spot.

Who knows, it could of course be Duncan Castles and other journos just making poo poo up, but that's the story he's told in numerous interviews.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

sassassin posted:

Swansea have taken Chelsea's Marc Guehi on loan.

Already been described by fans as surprisingly articulate.

So he can speak 3 consecutive words of Welch without breaking into a laughing fit?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Milan are loaning in Begovic as a replacement for Reina. I wonder if he’ll play in the cup match next week.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

everton are tryign to sign everton

I’d prefer him to sign for Liverpool for the lols but signing for Everton is also pretty funny

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Portuguese websites reporting that Fernandes to United is done and will be officially bolded today or tomorrow. Here’s hoping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Moktaro posted:

So he can speak 3 consecutive words of Welch without breaking into a laughing fit?

get tae gently caress