Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Inacio posted:

that could easily be reduced if cig were competent and only sent relevant/local data to each client

Baxta posted:

I did some quick mafs a few years ago before I got my refund and determined that it was impossible with current networking architecture to have as many entities and sub entities all in one instance with any sort of reasonable ping or frame rate.

Based on the kickstarter pledges at the time IF they had everything promised in, I calculated something around the area of 2-4MB/s xml data from the client alone.

Anyone got figures on current bandwidth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwVVi6weKQ&t=527s that has data on how much star marine uses, about 8:40 if the timestamp doesn't work and there has been zero improvements since so it's still relevant.

dogtax
https://i.imgur.com/EwPV5U4.mp4

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

so much data that it has to be split between packets
jesus christ

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

stingtwo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwVVi6weKQ&t=527s that has data on how much star marine uses, about 8:40 if the timestamp doesn't work and there has been zero improvements since so it's still relevant.

dogtax
https://i.imgur.com/EwPV5U4.mp4

How the gently caress? Just for star marine? I cant even understand how that is possible. I was calculating on SC. Maybe I was under in my huge estimates.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fidelity.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Baxta posted:

How the gently caress? Just for star marine? I cant even understand how that is possible. I was calculating on SC. Maybe I was under in my huge estimates.

I think someone in a previous thread around 2.0 launch so came to the same conclusion that when a ship spawns, you download 2MB to 5MB of data, so no you were right, why does this happen? You can say anything and it's better than what CIG would say.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ah hell I remember Roberts himself saying that years ago during one of the weekly shows.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

so much data that it has to be split between packets
jesus christ

And absoloutely nothing can go wrong with that, no sirree!

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Based on all the fun conspiracies shitizens believe in, there must be some serious overlap between them and qanon believers.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Based on all the fun conspiracies shitizens believe in, there must be some serious overlap between them and qanon believers.

There's serious overlap between citizens and every degenerate belief system we're currently saddled with in our pustulent social-media purgatory.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Star posted:

Looking forward to the roadmap later today. I am prepared to be dazzled by the progress.

Me, too.

Lando announced the return of “Calling All Devs” recently. Ostensibly it’s the show about answering questions submitted by fans on Spectrum.

Top Question on Spectrum posted:

What's up with SQ42? Why are so many chapters so far behind on the roadmap?

It sure will be tempting to put Chris or Erin on camera for 5 minutes, softball the Squadron question, let one of them trot out the good news/bad news answer (“it’s delayed but this will ultimately make things better”), then drop a Roadmap update that finally acknowledges what’s been obvious for most of last year...

Here’s the Recap of Squadron guidance from October 2014 through June 2018.

Picking up from there:

Squadron 42 Cinematic Teaser: (October 2018)

Youtube posted:

”Join the brave men and women of the 2nd fleet as they stand strong against the greatest threats the UEE has ever faced. Will you answer the call?”

The Calder Era Narrative: (December 2018) $46 million has been invested to give Squadron 42 a Triple A marketing push for a Summer 2020 release

Venturebeat posted:

Star Citizen‘s coffers just got bigger, as its parent company has raised an additional $46 million in venture capital, in addition to the $211 million in crowdfunding it has brought in over the past five years from 2.2 million fans. On top of that, it’s also releasing its financial history and announcing that its science fiction game, Squadron 42, will launch in the summer 2020.

The Revised Calder Era Narrative: (Early 2019) “PSA: Squadron 42 does NOT come out in Q2 2020!”

Reddit posted:

I have seen more than a few people in this sub talking as if they expect to be able to play SQ42 this time next year. That is wrong. CIG has never said that will be the case.

What we have is the estimated quarter they will move from alpha to beta. This is marked on the schedule report and is the last thing on the report (as of now) but it is not a release date.

In software, the beta is the phase when all significant features have been added and you start to focus on polishing features and gameplay experience. This stage will take quite a while for a game as large and complex as Star Citizen. Even assuming the current estimate is right (which it very likely isnt) Id estimate beta will take 6-12 months, if not more. And that we, the backers, will NOT be able to play SQ42 during that time.

CR has said over and over he wants SQ42 to be the best gaming experience in history. He has held back many assets from SQ42 to make sure they are awe inspiring at play time (like the idris). I highly doubt he will muddy the response to SQ42 by letting backers play an unpolished version of it (yes, i know SC is unpolished, but SQ42 is different to CR, and to us)

At most, I expect them to let some evocati play it. But even then I have doubts due to the leaks.

So to reiterate. Q2 2020 is NOT THE RELEASE DATE OF SQ42. You will not play SQ42 in summer next year. Accept this.

It’s about time for that “Revised Revision of the Calder Era Narrative”, Chris. Lando’s got a question from the fans. Will you answer the call?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

stingtwo posted:

Later on he does shooting, moving and jumping latency tests, the latter two end up performing pretty badly compared to other games but the video author makes excuses for CIG and says he's looking forward to seeing the improvements for Star Marine in the coming weeks and months.

Now, three years later... yeeeeeaaaaah.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Transparent astroturfing or a person that hasn't played games in decades? You decide: posted:

VIOP in star marine is amazing

So here's what happened to me last week :

I logged in star marine and discovered the "good doctor" map for the first time. So here I am, strolling around with my gun up and I see two more people on the server so I get to work and we joyfully kill each others for a few moments.

Then this guy (I can't remember the handle sorry) logs in and starts wrecking our faces like it was noting. He played with the ballistic shotgun and the gallant, and played drat good.

So after he killed me four times over without me even hit-marking him, a crazy thought gets on my mind : I unequip my guns, lower my mic and start running in the corridors while yelling his handle through VIOP.

And guess what.

The guy didn't shoot me, he lowered his weapon and /wave 'ed at me. I just said "you're very good at this, and I don't know how to use the shotgun properly, could you teach me ?" And he just nodded, killed a guy that was comming in my back and sprinted towards another end of the building. I followed him, not knowing if he fully understood me, but he was waiting for me near a crate.

The guy just lead me to a supply crate to refuel my ammo because I politely asked him to show me how to get better at the game.

This game is amazing. And VIOP works in star marine. But instead of hearing 12 years old through their poor microphones, we have skilled people teaching new players the ropes. After that I saw the announcements at citizencon and went on to quadruple my pledge.

This is why I put money in. I want to see how far they will bring us, and the many memories like this one I'll get.

The new star marine mod will be amazing, and as they said "Fun comes first" !

Gosh. I can't believe you can say things in this game and others can hear you. Never been done before, revolutionary.

Totally not something Sega, Sony and Microsoft were doing back in the early 2000's. No sir.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
maybe star marine is the imaginary friends we made along the way

come on Mr Voopvoop, we're going to get ice cream

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ErrEff posted:

Gosh. I can't believe you can say things in this game and others can hear you. Never been done before, revolutionary.

Totally not something Sega, Sony and Microsoft were doing back in the early 2000's. No sir.

He's probably just excited that something works.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Reading that was loving awful.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

It’s about time for that “Revised Revision of the Calder Era Narrative”, Chris. Lando’s got a question from the fans. Will you answer the call?

Well, lets look at the bit that he doesn't talk about; Q2 2020 is when SQ42 will be 'feature complete'. Will it? Almost certainly not, because they really need to dovetail SQ42; as the first chapter, lead-in, lobby, taster, first-pill-on-your-dealer - to the greater experience of 'Star Citizen'.

How much have they shown of the 'adversary' considering that they need to keep funding up? They stopped showing the mo-capped stuff a while back, and they just showed a moodily lit spaceship. They're trying to pull off teasers when you've already seen the full frontal nudity.

This year is shaping up to be interesting; can the continued efforts of the plucky non-corporate corporate to maintain earning pressure stack up against the requirement to meet targets, something that Crobbers is terrible at according to history? Can the Calders pull their dick out of this diseased wreckage and come out on top? Just how British is British?

Are we just watching history repeating until this game is inevitably bought by ncsoft?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Realtalk for a second: I actually had a VOIP epiphany in a recent-ish game and I have to tell you, my virtual diary and captive audience.

There are several radio mods for Arma3. The one I am familiar with gives you positional audio that fades with distance, so you can just run up to someone and have a private-ish conversation without making GBS threads up comms. You can activate a loudspeaker on your radio so everyone around you can hear incoming incoming radio transmissions. Talking on a radio has your lips flap in game and of course, everyone around you can hear it too.

You can be in some intense as hell firefight, people around you shouting to their buddies, and hear the radio guy call in an airstrike. Or have a WW2 scenario with runners between different squads relaying mesasges. It's dope as gently caress.

Also, modders flexing on CIG, but that's hardly noteworthy.

//edit srsly watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9DuKw7G-c&t=292s

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 10, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

stingtwo posted:

What's funny, this guy did another update a year few months later to see how much they improved it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kP2ek_L8Yk

Result: data issue was unchanged. Gun latency was slightly better. Movement latency was WAY WAY worse.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2020

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Later on he does shooting, moving and jumping latency tests, the latter two end up performing pretty badly compared to other games but the video author makes excuses for CIG and says he's looking forward to seeing the improvements for Star Marine in the coming weeks and months.

Now, three years later... yeeeeeaaaaah.

He couldn't completely rule out the higher than delay due to star marine at launch had servers only in the west cost of the USA, so ping for him was above 120ms, so guess what he did 2 months later when servers did end up in more?

He made a follow up video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kP2ek_L8Yk the results in delay for movement and jumping were worst than the 1st time around.

He may or may not be a backer, who knows, who cares, he ain't acting like boredgamer or r/sc handwaving this.

edit, beaten. follow up. the videos are only 2 months apart because besides the release of star marine. the last and only update was adding more regions and it never has been updated since.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You got the wrong link, and it was a year later, not a few months. I'm wrong about the time, whoops.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

G0RF posted:

I'll wonder if any of the mud people will bat an eye for yet another target deadline missed, especially since mid-2020 is the first official date after completely missing the initial one -- and then moving to "when it's done, no more dates, lol" while shadily updating the "Answer the call" date, never acknowledging how they misled people to assume the game was close to release.

Plus, two years ago it was quite safe to say "beta in 2nd quarter of 2020" to gather extra pledges. If they miss this one, they're essentially back to the 2012-2014 era of lies

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baxta posted:

I did some quick mafs a few years ago before I got my refund and determined that it was impossible with current networking architecture to have as many entities and sub entities all in one instance with any sort of reasonable ping or frame rate.

Based on the kickstarter pledges at the time IF they had everything promised in, I calculated something around the area of 2-4MB/s xml data from the client alone.

Anyone got figures on current bandwidth?

Inacio posted:

that could easily be reduced if cig were competent and only sent relevant/local data to each client

Yeah... sorry Baxta but that's... not how you'd do it. There's no reason you'd be sending all that data every tick. And you definitely wouldn't use XML.

I mean SC does things like that but SC is currently max 60 players for a reason, never going to go mmo scale without remaking the server, that's definitely the case. And they don't know how to architect an MMO server so they're hosed. And even as hosed as current SC is they do have "SOCKS" so they're not exactly sending all that info every tick either.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I'm getting pretty sick and tired of Star Citizen I gotta say.

Maybe it's time for a sequal??

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Announcing my Star Citizen spiritual successor, Solar Denizen. Now accepting pledges. Return the query!

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen 2: Pledge Harder

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Edit: For clarification, Ive read the TOS several times a while back when the same problem, pad ramming, was cause of several threads. The answer is still the same. RSI services is everything from Spectrum, which by the way will be integrated into the PU, to the game, meaning PU and SQ42, even things like referral rewards or contests. All fall under the same rules.

Doing something that kills enjoyment for other players is breach of contract. That is because pad ramming is not PvP where both parties can get at least some enjoyment out of but what is basically insta-killing by using a ship in a way it is not intended. Its not an exploit but the TOS are clear about this issue by having the interfering with gameplay point in addition to the exploit point.

I left the part of the TOS in this thread because people, most likely pad rammers themselfes, are spreading false information by stating its OK to do this furthering their agenda and make fun of their victims.

OP has 1 post meaning he is a new backer and gets toxic shitposts for bringing up what is still a major problem in the game and being completely right. New backers should be welcomed instead of attacked for no reason.
these are some truly loving broken people. goddamn.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Pooned posted:

I don't think Microsoft is going to save Chris Roberts like they did last time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

Get there expecting to some sort of functional product as they have been advertising it for release 2020

Then walk out trying to find a way to sue a bunch of uni students dicking around with spaceship models in a happhazard fashion...

There is no game, no launcher, no finished levels no plan commercial game development going on. Just a bunch of art work being viewed in cry engine.

The Byzantine accounting system probably has it all blurred together so they cant even work how much they have spent on which project.

Early days.

#Teir0lawsuit

Could be Chris Roberts brought them into a room, closed the door, and told them the whole plan was just marketing and not only do they have no intentions or making any finished products, but will also hat continue to create totally random new games to keep money rolling in (like for example that recent surprise for the Arena Deathmatch game out of thin air).

This would not only be tough to sue maybe, but also something CIG would not want to make public hence why they're also trying to stop it from going out. Admitting you're just dragging people through the mud may be bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

iron buns posted:

Star Citizen 2: Pledge Harder

Yes, have a NPC. John McClaim.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I almost forgot about that new battle royale mode from Citcon. Hows the progress on that coming?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ErrEff posted:

quote:

I don't know how to use the shotgun properly, could you teach me ?
The guy just lead me to a supply crate to refuel my ammo

Amazing story! Someone was bored with shooting them and then went somewhere to get ammunition. This is the gameplay from my dreams!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Fun Star Citizen Fact 2:

Star Citizen is still bad.

Does Chris Roberts know?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

Strangler 42 posted:

I almost forgot about that new battle royale mode from Citcon. Hows the progress on that coming?

Shhhhhh, shhhh.... it's okay, don't worry, just go back to sleep...

* cradles your head *

Shhhhhhhh, this will make it alllllll better

* brings strange looking vial to your lips *

Just go. back. to. sleep.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Just how British is British?

Well, this is what i consider British.

But this is how British CIG is.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Strangler 42 posted:

If no news is good news, then it's doing great!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Yes, CIG would do that.

CIG and the faithful backers are their own worst enemy at times. They love to promote the game as something that is fully playable and a good experience. Then someone tries it out and discovers it a bug ridden pre-alpha and when they question it, having been assured its a quality game, they face screams of "ITS ALPHA!".

This surely leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those who tried it and leads to more negative feeling than the positive that CIG and the faithful are expecting.

The fun part about CIG is, as a company, they've already failed hard. They've proven they can't deliver anything. Everlasting intake of money via lies and begging and being shifty is fun and all but it's not a sustainable product (though they seem to be making it that way).

They've augered into the ground so hard a company would need to come in and pick up what they have and try to finish something with it, banking on the hopes that the people they already fleeced will buy in again and talk more people into buying it.

My consideration here is that new money is 2 fold:
1: People wanting to experience it for themselves with how bad it is
2: People fully aware of how bad it is but
A: Can't believe it after all these good videos
B: Think with all the good videos something is actually about to come out

I don't think their main source is people who have never heard of it and think it's amazing. I'm sure there are some, but I can't imagine it's a lot of people at this point.

A few really good videos with good solid gameplay they can experience and see on YouTube with good successes could get both 1 and 2 people to buy more stuff and immediately have faith restored.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-feedback-increased-player-cap-to-60

:trustme: Greetings!

We are opening a special PTU with the player cap increased to 60 from 50. This is an experimental setup and the build is identical to live, just with 10 more players. Our goal is to collect performance and stability data while making additional cap adjustments, but any oddities that you see would be helpful to know about as well. Please reply with any issues, new performance bottlenecks, or negative impacts that are new to PTU and not currently on live. Please include screenshots and videos where appropriate.

It's important to note that this is merely a test, and is not representative of any definitive incoming changes.

Your help would be much appreciated!

-Baior
Lead Player Experience Analyst

Imagine having dreams of running some of the ships with a crew higher than 60 and the thoughts of this being an Eve killing MMO. With fleet battles large enough where you actually have players manning those medical ships to service downed pilots they've already sold. Or you crash on a planet to be rescued by your team of players running the giant 2-story tall tanks.

Yeah, 60 is almost a huge living, breathing universe I guess. Totally not some lovely arena game with a player count smaller than your average Fortnight game of 100 players (even on a Switch game console).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pooned posted:

Oh, you haven't heard?
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1186077390612512768

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'd love to know what the Star Citizen folks are dreaming of for player interactions and how it will happen in a huge galaxy and enormous planets.

In a fortnight game of 100 players, it seems like you see maybe 20 other players during them the game. That's on a small island, where the game encourages players to move fast and also move towards a single tiny point as the game goes on, forcing conflict and resolution.

How is this going to work in a slow paced game spread across a place where Skyrim fits in a tiny crater of a single planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

yeah man hundreds of thousands of people in one instance with real time combat and complex physic reactions on player manipulated objects

I can't imagine anyone reading that and believing a goddamn word of it

And yet here we are, 9 years into Star Citizen. :allears: