Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 16, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby ()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

The first few stories feel rather strange in a way, they're kind of unfocused and meandering, as if it's all just a long, surreal dream sequence.
If you hop between vol 1 and 3 there's a pretty major change in how focused and concise the stories are.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This is a good one. Dogs really are dumb assholes that will always eat things that kill them.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Hey, someone had a good trip for once. And here I thought this was just anti-drug propaganda.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bobbie and Robbie really hits the sweet spot for me. I love that golem.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Green Intern posted:

Bobbie and Robbie really hits the sweet spot for me. I love that golem.

The idea of the little girl (does she have a name?) getting the golem to braid her hair is charming, as is using a golem as a clothes stand. B&R is really growing on me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is full of tools

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 10, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I want to give back a bit to a thread that I've gotten a lot of education and enjoyment out of. I'm thinking about posting Cathy and Crockett Johnson's initial 1942-1946 run on Barnaby-- the former because I think it's a fascinating barometer for what a comic predicated on being "relateable" to a mainstream demographic of (white) women looked at through the 70s-aughts, and the latter because it's an exquisite comic.

If either of these have already been posted in a previous iteration of this thread and people are burnt out on them or whatever that's fine, but otherwise I'll try to write up a little intro for both over the weekend?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Cathy used to get posted ages ago when it was still currently running, but I don't remember seeing that second one you're talking about at all.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

wow is that the first mention of BTS in a newspaper comic?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

I think today's road-related comic was inspired by the derailing of the Ilkley bypass in the early 1990s. I'd bypass everything if I could, including common decency. But I'd start with Ilkley.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Isn't Barnaby the comic about the boy with the gruff fairy godfather? I remember it being fun.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Archyduchess posted:

I want to give back a bit to a thread that I've gotten a lot of education and enjoyment out of. I'm thinking about posting Cathy and Crockett Johnson's initial 1942-1946 run on Barnaby-- the former because I think it's a fascinating barometer for what a comic predicated on being "relateable" to a mainstream demographic of (white) women looked at through the 70s-aughts, and the latter because it's an exquisite comic.

If either of these have already been posted in a previous iteration of this thread and people are burnt out on them or whatever that's fine, but otherwise I'll try to write up a little intro for both over the weekend?
:justpost:

2017 Spiderman

Bonus edit by Snackmar

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Archyduchess posted:

I'm thinking about posting Cathy

ACK!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1998)

DON'T FUCKIN' DOXX ME

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

gleebster posted:

Anyway, has anyone ever posted The Heart of Juliet Jones before? It's mostly a standard soap opera story. The titular character is a sensible young woman living in the small town of Devon. She's so sensible that she was elected mayor. Most of the drama comes from her younger sister, Eve, who is more romantically inclined. But this story begins with their father, Pop Jones, who is just shutting up the office...

Synthbuttrange posted:

it used to be posted but I've no idea why it stopped showing up here.

I used to post Juliet Jones as well as some other classic comics and it was great. I love that strip. Beautiful art. Relateable characters. Completely different from the hate-read strip I post now. The only reason I stopped is because Comics Kingdom is a garbage site that randomly stopped working for me one day. I would love to see it posted here again.

It is far superior in every way to this trash:

Naw, if they did Gunther would have to dump her for not being a virgin

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ, Luann, you loving Mormon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In contrast to many comic strips that become about small children who behave like adults, Luann has become about adults who behave just like small children.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is full of tools

You posted the second strip twice, my dude.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

I can't not read this as Bernice making fun of Luann for being a college student terrified of saying 'sex'. And for once her assholery is justified.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Re the sand castles thing: nope. A cursory googling reveals that the news was published by a German TV show in 2010, so a full two years after the supposed ban; that same year the mayor was asked about it and replied "What? No, I have no idea where they got the info from, there is no such regulation."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pentaro posted:

Isn't Barnaby the comic about the boy with the gruff fairy godfather? I remember it being fun.
Oh yeah that one had a cool style.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think Allen understands Mark constantly whining during this expedition he agreed to come on just makes him seem like a weird killjoy

Tiggum posted:

Not just agreed to, he's also being paid to be there.
He's a nature photographer/writer who is making GBS threads on a paid trip to the Himalayas. He should be ecstatic about this opportunity. Even if they don't find a yeti, he's going to get some beautiful and interesting pictures out of it, and an amazing experience too. It's really dumb.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Dogs have bad breath.

Rex Morgan MD

OK, I'm in on the Aunt Tildy visit storyline.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The gently caress is going on with the art in this one? I had to check to make sure it wasn't an edit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Julet Esqu posted:

It's me, the psych major who is going to be a therapist and can't say the word sex.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The King needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Alterian posted:

The gently caress is going on with the art in this one? I had to check to make sure it wasn't an edit.

Reminder: This is how Iris was drawn during the infamous double date, only two months ago:

And at the beginning of the current "I'm fat and old" arc:

She's been putting on weight FAST. The doc's darn right she needs her thyroid tested.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

She's pulling a Tiffany.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lodin posted:

You posted the second strip twice, my dude.

So I did. Fixed. Thanks!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

I don't think we've had classic cathy, i'd be interested in seeing it!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lovelace is definitely gonna die.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'd be curious to see Cathy, especially classic ones. I never disliked it as a kid, but I remember not having an issue when my local newspaper replaced it with Pearls Before Swine either. I wonder if it took a while to find its niche, or if it mostly started there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zereth posted:

I don't think we've had classic cathy, i'd be interested in seeing it!

ACK!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I really only remember Cathy as being a one-note "this is what it's like to be an American woman but in a self-loathing way" comic that kind of didn't sit well with me as a young kid reading the newspaper because A: "I'm a boy and this is a comic for women" and B: "man it sure does suck to be a lady in America, there's a lot of stress and self-loathing and neuroses and I don't think any of this is making her happier" were both in my thoughts at that age.

I doubt it's aged super well, though it's still notable for being a strip that ran from the 70s to the 00s, and I just feel a little trepidation at seeing it through nonbinary 29 year old eyes but y'know Just Post.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/9/00

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

It is far superior in every way to this trash:

Then why, by all that is holy, do you post it?

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/21/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/29/46

Mopsy 8/7/42

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1986)

I've always really loved Hobbes' grin in this one.

The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1986)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1937)

Here, in the fifth ever Valiant strip, we see the beginning of Val's habit of winding up naked.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

today at my job a woman responded to me asking this by telling me all about how her car was stolen that morning, including an inventory of everything that was in the car, and finished her story by saying "Y'know I'm not worried about it but I'm a minister and I'm worried about their SOULS".

I wish people would just say "fine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

gleebster posted:

Then why, by all that is holy, do you post it?

i need to be mad at the Evanses to live