Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That Works posted:

I wasn't really sure which thread to ask this in.

At least 6+ years ago (probably more like 10+) I watched like 2 episodes of an anime that I'm trying to remember what it was. It was definitely not Gundam / tangential, but it had a lot of the same kinda thematic stuff.

The major plot points I remember were that it was a group of teenagers in some kind of military school. They ended up being caught up in some kind of civil war or uprising and took command of a space ship. The spaceship combat was like this long protracted stuff, ie they had to all sit around and wait for hours and hours for orbits to intersect etc and then find out of missiles hit or end up in a very short lived gun battle etc. One particular battle was against an enemy ship that could teleport a gun platform / drone around but in doing so placed the ship itself at great risk.

No clue if it sucked or not but the little bits I remember had a pretty neat feel to them, kinda like Das Boot or Run Silent Run Deep in some ways with building up a good bit of slow tension.

It was all very much an aesthetic of Gundam type characters all thrown into combat out of nowhere and had a distinct "Submarines, but actually spaceships / naval battles". There were no aliens that I recall, or at least that wasn't part of the early plot.

Anyone know what this might have been?

that is Starship Operators. its alright, solid middle of the road anime. i enjoyed its dedication to realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Davincie posted:

that is Starship Operators. its alright, solid middle of the road anime. i enjoyed its dedication to realism

Yeah seems like this may be it. I need to watch an ep or two to be sure.

I didn't recall this much of the cast being female though so that's partly something that didn't hold up to memory.

e: thank you

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 10, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was gonna say infinite ryvius but i guess not!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Who’s got recommendations for:

Educational
Suitable for middle school students in a school setting.

My gf is considering starting a school anime club and is looking for recommendations that fit the above bill.

Off the top of my head, we’re thinkin silver spoon and shirobako.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DamnGlitch posted:

Educational

My gf is considering starting a school anime club and is looking for recommendations that fit the above bill.

If you want to educate US kids maybe go with Grave of the Fireflies, just make sure to point out to the kids "terror-bombing civilians and wiping out entire cities are just some of the horrific atrocities everyone just ignores when they celebrate nationalism every year"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

Educational

Kemono Friends

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

silentsnack posted:

If you want to educate US kids maybe go with Grave of the Fireflies, just make sure to point out to the kids "terror-bombing civilians and wiping out entire cities are just some of the horrific atrocities everyone just ignores when they celebrate nationalism every year"

We’re not showing grave of the fireflies to like 11 years old dude.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a childrens movie tho

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DamnGlitch posted:

Do it coward.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DamnGlitch posted:

Cowards...

Though Cells at Work is a pretty great one, if you’re that opposed to explaining the horrors of imperialism for whatever reason.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

Cowards...

Though Cells at Work is a pretty great one, if you’re that opposed to explaining the horrors of imperialism for whatever reason.

Again, 11 year olds. You're forgetting how bloody violent the white blood cells dispatching germs is. But if they're fine with blood then it's a good pick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnoHito posted:

Cowards...

The dub on Cells at Works is also fantastic :allears:. They actually get that the show's half theater/pantomime performance in the delivery.

On a more general recommendation; the new Nichijou dub is surprisingly really good. They nail the characters voices, and localize some of the trickier jokes quite well. Literally the only bad thing about it was their usual bad habit of not translating names where it's actually relevant strikes, so you get "Hakase" instead of "Professor". On the plus side though, they even kept the tradition of having a rotating selection of well-known dub VA's for the next-episode previews.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the plus side though, they even kept the tradition of having a rotating selection of well-known dub VA's for the next-episode previews.

That makes me happy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Educational

Chihayafuru, teach them about an obscure japanese competitive sport

Nobunaga no Shinobi, it has some violence but most of it is of the very cartoony kind. Blood tho. Episodes are only like 3 minutes long if they wanna prescreen it or something. Teach them about the sengoku era of Japanese history

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I've lately been getting into the "vaguely supernatural entity offers service X to chump of the week, chump of the week inevitably abuses service and gets hosed over for it" category. stuff like The Laughing Salesman and Monitoring Yami Site. any recs for stuff like that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I've lately been getting into the "vaguely supernatural entity offers service X to chump of the week, chump of the week inevitably abuses service and gets hosed over for it" category. stuff like The Laughing Salesman and Monitoring Yami Site. any recs for stuff like that?
Hell Girl?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

You absolutely, 100% want to read Franken Fran.

It might bum you out, but drat is it usually great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 12, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

franken fran is a comedy wtf

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

franken fran is a comedy wtf
it can get pretty dark at times, friend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, black comedy

selling it as a potential bummer is just weird to me lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

it can get pretty dark at times, friend

Yeah it's hilarious

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah it's not a series to worry about bumming you out. it's a black comedy the entire time, even the most disturbing stories are still rather funny.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

What you describe is exactly the premise of The Little Match Girl; I haven't seen the anime but at least the manga is fairly solid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

Hell Girl?

This.

Also, comedy answer: Yu-Gi-Oh! King of Games (the first non-DM season)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Does this thread also double as describe an anime, someone will tell you what it is or is there a specific thread for that?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

Does this thread also double as describe an anime, someone will tell you what it is or is there a specific thread for that?

There was a separate thread, but it might be archived now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Go for it. We're pretty laid back here

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SalTheBard posted:

Yeah, the old thread got archived, and people have just been asking wherever, whether in new threads or the chat threads. If nobody else feels like doing it I can make a new one tomorrow.

Also feel free to ask your question in this thread.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Hey

Do you know any good dubbed kids shows like Ojamajo Doremi. My niece(10) is super into it (and so am l lol), but we're running out of dubbed episodes.

rvm fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 15, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rvm posted:

Hey

Do you know any good dubbed kids shows like Ojamajo Doremi. My niece(10) is super into it (and so am l lol), but we're running out of dubbed episodes.

The first few seasons of digimon are pretty good-digimon adventure and digimon tamers (s1 and s3), as well as pokemon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
They're was an anime I watched. It was a submarine based show. There was a town on an island with a steep hill that I think they used to roll a cannonball or something like that down it to defend themselves

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also if you're looking more for magical girl shows, can't go wrong with Sailor Moon (the old one, not Crystal)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Julias posted:

The first few seasons of digimon are pretty good-digimon adventure and digimon tamers (s1 and s3), as well as pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROlWDR4oeA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SalTheBard posted:

They're was an anime I watched. It was a submarine based show. There was a town on an island with a steep hill that I think they used to roll a cannonball or something like that down it to defend themselves

And here's the thread I promised yesterday
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911274

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rvm posted:

Hey

little witch academia maybe?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched the LWA dub and it was really good, so I can vouch for it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
It's a new year (and a new username), so I suppose after years of doing this I should make a final post about that new Twelve Kingdoms novel.

It actually came out! Seriously! Twice as long as the next longest book, it released as two books and four volumes in October and November. No more yearly apology tweets for the delays.

My Japanese friend and fellow fan read and really enjoyed them, so I guess the long wait for a fan translation now begins, or god forbid an official re-license.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for some horror or suspense that doesnt rely heavily on gore or excessive blood to deliver its punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some horror or suspense that doesnt rely heavily on gore or excessive blood to deliver its punches.

Erased, Paranoia Agent, Monster if you've got time?