Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How do we have Namorita back? I'm guessing it's probably complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Unfortunately, all this analysis is pointless. We know Peter Parker made a living selling photos to the newspaper less than 20 years ago, so the Marvel universe is obviously a whimsical fantasy land.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did Peter ever get his post graduate degrees back?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

How do we have Namorita back? I'm guessing it's probably complicated.

She came back in the Nova series that was with Rich around the Realm of Kings time. I think it was some time travel thing involving the Sphinx. Then they ignored she was back because some editor didn't like it. But now they're ignoring that they ignored her!

Also, I like that Cap was defrosted during the Obama years. I bet one of the first things he said was "Thanks, Obama."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Did Peter ever get his post graduate degrees back?

Didn't he get busted for "plagiarizing" Doctor Octopus once he got his body back, and was stripped of his doctorate in disgrace?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Double posting because the end of Superior Spider-Man was total horseshit and I am still mad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I believe he's working on finishing it again in ASM.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

And Captain America got defrosted some time in the Obama administration.

Absolutely nothing has ever made me feel older than this sentence right here.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Splint Chesthair posted:

Absolutely nothing has ever made me feel older than this sentence right here.

That's like 4253t63 years ago.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

And Captain America got defrosted some time in the Obama administration.

Which means that the Number One of the Secret Empire who killed himself in the Oval Office could have been Obama, rather than "It's Nixon but we can't say that" like it was originally

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Which means that the Number One of the Secret Empire who killed himself in the Oval Office could have been Obama, rather than "It's Nixon but we can't say that" like it was originally
Technically true, but after Obama killed himself it also means that Carter Obama forced inefficient regulations and Henry Peter Gyrich onto the Avengers as an overseer, was President when the Red Skull infiltrated the Reagan Cabinet and forced Steve Rogers to give up the mantle of Captain America. Then Reagan Obama got turned into a snake monster by Viper. Shortly after that Clinton Obama submitted to pressure to ratchet up anti-mutant military activity, then Bush Obama presided over 9/11 and let "Dell Rusk"/Red Skull infiltrate the Department of Defense to turn Mount Rushmore into a bioweapon. Then Bush Obama failed the people of New Orleans spectacularly and let the city become overrun with vampires after Hurricane Katrina, and signed the Superhero Registration Act into place.

Then a year or so later, a Spider-Man who had recently sold his marriage to Mephisto and erased the world's memory of his identity covered Barack Obama's inauguration, which happened about two years ago on the sliding timescale. Maybe Fox News viewers secretly live in the Marvel Universe, where all of those real world things also happened under the decades-long reign of Barack Hussein Obamacare.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, speaking of the whole sliding timescale thing, i wound up reading Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher and it's actually a pretty great little snapshot of the JMS status quo, where he's sort of buddies with Strange but still standoffish with the rest of the superhero community. It's definitely a better take on Morlun and his family than The Other or Spider-Verse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Technically true, but after Obama killed himself it also means that Carter Obama forced inefficient regulations and Henry Peter Gyrich onto the Avengers as an overseer, was President when the Red Skull infiltrated the Reagan Cabinet and forced Steve Rogers to give up the mantle of Captain America. Then Reagan Obama got turned into a snake monster by Viper. Shortly after that Clinton Obama submitted to pressure to ratchet up anti-mutant military activity, then Bush Obama presided over 9/11 and let "Dell Rusk"/Red Skull infiltrate the Department of Defense to turn Mount Rushmore into a bioweapon. Then Bush Obama failed the people of New Orleans spectacularly and let the city become overrun with vampires after Hurricane Katrina, and signed the Superhero Registration Act into place.

Then a year or so later, a Spider-Man who had recently sold his marriage to Mephisto and erased the world's memory of his identity covered Barack Obama's inauguration, which happened about two years ago on the sliding timescale. Maybe Fox News viewers secretly live in the Marvel Universe, where all of those real world things also happened under the decades-long reign of Barack Hussein Obamacare.

lmao

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just think, in a few years Sally Floyd will have called Captain America out of touch for not having a TikTok.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Splint Chesthair posted:

I’m catching up with Immortal Hulk on Marvel Unlimited and so far it’s every bit as good as I was led to believe.

One question I have: around like issue 11 or 12 Banner is having a conversation with the current Hulk and asks him what Banmer should call him if not “Devil Hulk.” We don’t hear the answer, but Banner says something like “That makes a lot of sense.” Has that been paid off yet? Would anyone be willing to spoil it for me if it has?

I don't know if anyone has said it, but Devil Hulk originally came from Paul Jenkins rin on the Hulk. Its a really cool continuity nod.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair, I think under the sliding timescale Trump was President at least for 9/11, Dell Rusk, Katrina, and the SRA

But yeah Obama did all that other poo poo

I expect a three-hour Alex Jones Infowars special revealing these truths now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/saracentury/status/1216778999994580992

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is correct.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 13, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is dead on and it's even better when she's trapped in the body of a toddler and also not being written by Dan Slott.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
leah on a new x-factor

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1216782221899714562

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Franklin and Valeria aging was inevitable it was hitting a point where it was actively weird that they were the only kids in the Marvel Universe not growing up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is correct.

cant believe you didnt use the genocide the skrulls pages

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

cant believe you didnt use the genocide the skrulls pages

That’s not a supervillain thing to do that is a good for the universe thing to do :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mods

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Don't joke about genocide being good. Yeah in this case it's made-up green alien guys, but to put it lightly genocide loving... sucks...? And it's easier to just not make jokes about it anymore than it is to have to parse every single one of those jokes for intent and prior history of crumminess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I swear I didn't actually hit report on that lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Couldn’t remember the issue so it took a bit to find but it wasn’t even genocide, thankfully.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I like the idea of mutant L&O for X-Factor, but wasn't there already something in the early 00's?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like the idea of mutant L&O for X-Factor, but wasn't there already something in the early 00's?

If you're thinking of PAD's run, yeah, and it was great.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

No Strong Guy, no sale.

This actually looks extremely good. Glad to see the gay characters being given a separate but equal team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Archyduchess posted:

Don't joke about genocide being good. Yeah in this case it's made-up green alien guys, but to put it lightly genocide loving... sucks...? And it's easier to just not make jokes about it anymore than it is to have to parse every single one of those jokes for intent and prior history of crumminess.

Sorry. We rep the Skrull Kill Krew around here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've always been more a fan of the Plodex Probation Patrol.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cloks posted:

If you're thinking of PAD's run, yeah, and it was great.

No, although I agree it was great.

It was like a Mississippi Burning type thing but with mutants instead of black people, and it was miniseries.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No, although I agree it was great.

It was like a Mississippi Burning type thing but with mutants instead of black people, and it was miniseries.
My first thought was District X but that wasn't a mini-series. There was the Karl Bollers pseudo-anthology series "Muties" and also the Geoff Johns "Morlocks" series around the same times, both of which involved some cops and also some anti-mutant hate crimes?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Archyduchess posted:

I've always been more a fan of the Plodex Probation Patrol.

:canada: Marrina :canada:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

My first thought was District X but that wasn't a mini-series. There was the Karl Bollers pseudo-anthology series "Muties" and also the Geoff Johns "Morlocks" series around the same times, both of which involved some cops and also some anti-mutant hate crimes?

It was this
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Factor_Vol_2

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How did I remember two other essentially forgotten mini-series from that year and not this one?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

How did I remember two other essentially forgotten mini-series from that year and not this one?

Because it's the one Peter David didn't write, maybe? Apparently it was by 'Jeff Jensen' and a quick search doesn't reveal him doing anything else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Because it's the one Peter David didn't write, maybe? Apparently it was by 'Jeff Jensen' and a quick search doesn't reveal him doing anything else.

He won an Eisner for a not especially good OGN about the Green River Killer in 2012, and wrote little bits and this and that over the years, including a stint on Team Titans post-Wolfman. It looks like he mostly does screenplays now-- Tomorrowland and he was on the writing staff for the Watchmen show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I meant all of the various X-Book mini-series they were spamming out at the time, I remembered Muties and Morlocks but not "X-Factor", though maybe that's because it was part of the crop of "let's just reuse names for new things and see if it sticks" from early Quesada/Jemas, and it wasn't good/successful enough to be memorable (like Milligan/Allred X-Force) or bad/hated enough to be memorable (the Fight Club Thunderbolts).

I do think it's kind of interesting the evolution of the concept of what an "X-Factor" book has undergone over the decades, I guess a commonality has been some sort of "public" team, whether it was the 05 pretending to be a Mutant Hunting Service, or the Peter David mk1 "Officially Sanctioned Government Team" or this weird Mutant Police Department mini-series or the early PAD Private Investigation pitch before it turned into a book all about people having magic babies and fighting for control of Hell and time travel loops.

Compared to all of the X-Forces over the decades or even more simply every version of New Mutants/Generations X the common thread between all of the X-Factors is probably the weakest but I never realized that it is still kind of there.