Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain von Trapp posted:

The realistic fair options are:
1. Let the thread turn into D&D.
2. Keep politics out.

One-sided unidirectional bitchy asides that creep up to the line like a toddler's finger to dog poop are basically #1, except lacking the courage of conviction. I expect the report button would get hit if anyone on the right did the same.

I've said it before in this thread, but we're just in a strange spot where the actual subject material does intersect with politics and real life poo poo. The recent Iran crap is a good example of that. There were some great conversations about airpower related poo poo, and foreign policy and politics begins to get involved at the edges.

Once in a while things begin to get dumb, and that's when I just kind of waltz in and say "hey, pick a new topic for a bit." It's messy and arbitrary but I think it works. For the most part this thread attracts a set of people who can have discussions about foreign policy adjacent and politics adjacent poo poo and keep a level head. Once in a while they even delve into the nakedly political and have a really interesting couple of pages before i have to nudge things.

Here's an analogy I've used before. Any of you ever sneak a couple beers with friends when you were kids? I'm dad, I'm upstairs, and I know 3 teenagers splitting a six pack aren't going to burn the world down. Some kids getting tipsy in the basement is actually probably good, get to know their tolerances and all. If poo poo sounds like it's getting crazy then I have to go down to the basement and yell at the kids and address that whole thing. In a perfect world I'll stay up here and drink a beer of my own and watch the game and the kids can feel like they got away with something.

So what I'm saying is that if you crack a beer be loving cool about it and if you hear dad rattling some cupboard in the kitchen and jiggling the doorknob to the basement simmer down so no one's day has to get ruined. And if dad actually has to come down and ask what the gently caress stop what you were doing and do something low key and quiet for a bit until your buzz wears off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but we're just in a strange spot where the actual subject material does intersect with politics and real life poo poo. The recent Iran crap is a good example of that. There were some great conversations about airpower related poo poo, and foreign policy and politics begins to get involved at the edges.

Once in a while things begin to get dumb, and that's when I just kind of waltz in and say "hey, pick a new topic for a bit." It's messy and arbitrary but I think it works. For the most part this thread attracts a set of people who can have discussions about foreign policy adjacent and politics adjacent poo poo and keep a level head. Once in a while they even delve into the nakedly political and have a really interesting couple of pages before i have to nudge things.

Here's an analogy I've used before. Any of you ever sneak a couple beers with friends when you were kids? I'm dad, I'm upstairs, and I know 3 teenagers splitting a six pack aren't going to burn the world down. Some kids getting tipsy in the basement is actually probably good, get to know their tolerances and all. If poo poo sounds like it's getting crazy then I have to go down to the basement and yell at the kids and address that whole thing. In a perfect world I'll stay up here and drink a beer of my own and watch the game and the kids can feel like they got away with something.

So what I'm saying is that if you crack a beer be loving cool about it and if you hear dad rattling some cupboard in the kitchen and jiggling the doorknob to the basement simmer down so no one's day has to get ruined. And if dad actually has to come down and ask what the gently caress stop what you were doing and do something low key and quiet for a bit until your buzz wears off.

Unless it's my sixer of Mud Puppy Porter in which case the world may not burn down but theirs sure-as-shootin' will.

Goddamn kids.

:corsair:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

So when China decided they wanted modern computers and presumably orders them from a western manufacturer do they go through a process of making sure American spy agencies didn't put a backdoor inside it? Or do Chinese military and government systems source 100% locally? How did the process of digitalization/modernization to use computer systems work in the former Soviet block and China?

Um. You realise where all the world's computers are actually made right?

Also theres a reason they've been interested in MIPS and RISC-V

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Also in this analogy Cyrano Dad will on occasion get really drunk and lock himself out of the house now and then.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

feedmegin posted:

How many of the real foundries are in China? Are there any sub-20nm process ones?

e) Unless you mean that China doesn't group Taiwan and South Korea with America for trustworthiness.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 11, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That Works posted:

Also in this analogy Cyrano Dad will on occasion get really drunk and lock himself out of the house now and then.

Since the security upgrade cyrano dads keys are an implanted RFID tag and he can’t lock himself out any more :(

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Something something red star something something mark of the beast

E: not to get into politics again

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

feedmegin posted:

Assembled or fabricated? Because those are two different things.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Only one manufacturer makes the extreme ultraviolet tools for producing the latest generations of chips and the Dutch government has stopped them from exporting it to China.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

To put this in context, ASML has shipped a lot of EUV lithography machines to China. Moreover, there was some brouhaha in the past about industrial espionage and all (although ASML at the end chose to defend its Chinese clients).
But China - naturally - also wanted their top end scanner though (since indigenous solutions are not coming to market soon enough). That is where the Trump admin came in and froze the sale/export indirectly.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 11, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

A long time ago me, Vilerat and Grover had a SIPR mailing list to take D&D discussions to the SECRET//NOFORN level.

It was a good group til we all scattered to the winds.

Wish I'd known about this at the time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
SA arguments are not a need to know
:nsamad:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Dante80 posted:

To put this in context, ASML has shipped a lot of EUV lithography machines to China. Moreover, there was some brouhaha in the past about industrial espionage and all (although ASML at the end chose to defend its Chinese clients).
But China - naturally - also wanted their top end scanner though (since indigenous solutions are not coming to market soon enough). That is where the Trump admin came in and froze the sale/export indirectly.

A stupid question: How much electrical power do these machines need? Other infrastructure?
Ie; is any of ic production stuff comparable to nuclear weapons production in scope or scale, because that would frankly be kind of cool/hosed up

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys, I was writing the new OP and I discovered that the Typhoon submarine fired a SLBM that was bespoke to it, the SS-N-20 Sturgeon. The Soviets developed a new SLBM *just* for the Typhoon class, and at peak strength, the Soviets had six of the fat bastards, carrying 120 missiles with ten warheads each of 100-200 kT yield, or 1200 warheads. Which all by itself I think is larger than every other nation's nuclear deterrant, setting aside the USA.

Also in the recommended books section I've several Non-fiction but only On the Beach for fiction

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A stupid question: How much electrical power do these machines need? Other infrastructure?
Ie; is any of ic production stuff comparable to nuclear weapons production in scope or scale, because that would frankly be kind of cool/hosed up

They need an incredibly stable source of power because any glitches can cause the loss of all the wafers currently in production.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
A few off those chip machines have components I hosed up but somehow passed QC back in my student night shift job at a ASML subcontractor.

But yeah the real know how for the machines that actually mass produce chips is officially in the Netherlands, with the reality that a massive 60% of personell are expats. Lots of phds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nebakenezzer posted:

SS-N-20 Sturgeon

Jesus Christ, did the soviets had a hardon for big slbms or something?

Third one. 53 feet long, 2.3m diameter. By comparison, D5s are 44' long by 2.1m diameter -- much more like the Type 93's slbm on the right.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Iran fessed up. That exceeds my expectations; I thought they'd do like Russia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/world/middleeast/missile-iran-plane-crash.html

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mortabis posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/world/middleeast/missile-iran-plane-crash.html

ditto. The families can be compensated now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Potato Salad posted:

Third one. 53 feet long, 2.3m diameter. By comparison, D5s are 44' long by 2.1m diameter -- much more like the Type 93's slbm on the right.

That’s quite the dildo collection

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mortabis posted:

Think Bellingcat came to a conclusion around the same time, though they've been barking up the right tree from very early on

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1215352457972404226?s=19

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

A long time ago me, Vilerat and Grover had a SIPR mailing list to take D&D discussions to the SECRET//NOFORN level.

It was a good group til we all scattered to the winds.

Jfc really?

This might be the dumbest, most irresponsible SA related thing I’ve heard in the past month

Let that roll around in your head a moment given our last month.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Potato Salad posted:

Them’s some girthy bois.

:dong:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jfc really?

This might be the dumbest, most irresponsible SA related thing I’ve heard in the past month

Let that roll around in your head a moment given our last month.

Communicating classified discussions on a classified network is irresponsible?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Flikken posted:

TLDR: Yes.

Talking about classified stuff to people that don't have a need to know, even if in the correct environment, would be perceived that way on the defense contractor side. You're told really explicitly, don't do that. For example I wouldn't discuss collateral secret things with someone working a different collateral secret program, even if in a room at that level. Not being mil I can't say anything about SIPR or the policies on that side.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Outside of need to know? Yeah.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The Soviet approach was to compensate for inaccuracy by increasing the size of the warhead.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Everything is supposed to be compartmentalized. You're not supposed to just shoot the poo poo with classified information even if it's inside a SCIF with people who have the same clearance level.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Raenir Salazar posted:

So when China decided they wanted modern computers and presumably orders them from a western manufacturer do they go through a process of making sure American spy agencies didn't put a backdoor inside it? Or do Chinese military and government systems source 100% locally? How did the process of digitalization/modernization to use computer systems work in the former Soviet block and China?

The title is misleading IMO as it doesnt dicuss how to actually get the hardware in the supply chain but this video discusses the exceptionally low cost and relative ease of hiding a hardware based attack on an industrial control system. TLDW, you could pretty easily hide all the components needed to offload information by just adding them to a board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxoxxbwA4o

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
If it's just SECRET then honestly

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hypnophant posted:

If it's just SECRET then honestly

It doesn’t matter is it’s public trust. If you have a job that involves any level of that poo poo you shouldn’t be blase about spillage concerns.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
There's no spillage concern on SIPR. Everyone with access is a working professional, and everyone's work is affected by current ongoing events. Broad situational awareness is a benefit, not a security concern, and there are other networks and other classifications for information that really does need to be compartmentalized. The onus is on the user to be cognizant of what they're sharing, but there's plenty of daily brief type information that doesn't need to be close hold and plenty of stuff that doesn't make it into publications that also doesn't need to be close hold.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So, today while re-reading Dispatches and doing some wiki research on missing photojournalists, I learned that a Vietnam Veteran was killed in Afghanistan back in 2006, at the age of 52.

https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-sgt-1st-class-john-t-stone/1657655

An impressive life.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also in the recommended books section I've several Non-fiction but only On the Beach for fiction

There’s the other early Cold War nuclear apocalypse (though spoilers: not quite as apocalyptic) classic Alas, Babylon. A goon helpfully did a let’s read of it too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855101&perpage=40

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I always get a giggle when suddenly the thread has a sequence of edited/deleted contents.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

alexanderCA posted:

Thanks! Very interesting subject

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Don't they have dummy panels in the inlets to stop that?

What the heck, do F-35s actually fly around like that at air shows and during training so nobody ever sees into the inlet? My attempts to find out anything else about this by searching the web failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think so, but that's only based on the picture that was posted earlier, where it looks like there's a white panel in the intake.

Based on this (tiny, crappy) picture I found when googling "F35 intake", I don't think that's normal.

I assumed that big assembly of them wasn't about to take off anywhere and was just on parade? But I actually know, and I cannot stress this enough, fuckall about aviation of any sort.