Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for saying I'm more proud of my son than I am my daughter?

Tough love sure, but I can't help noticing she didn't reassure her daughter that she was loved.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t have a horse in this fight, but I also read the sentence as indicating once-monthly grocery shopping

I heard it as a 90s lady comic routine “you can get the fellas to shop but only once a month if you’re lucky am I right”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

I go shopping every week, but I only buy tampons once a month because otherwise we would be stockpiling them like weird peppers.

I for one love buying a lot of weird peppers

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

QuarkJets posted:

I for one love buying a lot of weird peppers

Just don't try and chop up some tampons and pads to put in your stir fry. Cotton doesn't taste good.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 11, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

therobit posted:

I go shopping every week, but I only buy tampons once a month because otherwise we would be stockpiling them like weird preppers.

Yes, I know that preppers stock up on tampons to plug bullet wounds.

Sally Ride posted:

The engineers at NASA, in their infinite wisdom, decided that women astronauts would want makeup—so they designed a makeup kit. A makeup kit brought to you by NASA engineers. [Laughter] So, “What?” You can just imagine the discussions amongst the predominantly male engineers about what should go in a makeup kit. So they came to me, figuring that I could give them advice. It was about the last thing in the world that I wanted to be spending my time in training on. So I didn’t spend much time on it at all. But there were a couple of other female astronauts, who were given the job of determining what should go in the makeup kit, and how many tampons should fly as part of a flight kit. I remember the engineers trying to decide how many tampons should fly on a one-week flight; they asked, “Is 100 the right number?”

“No. That would not be the right number.”

They said, “Well, we want to be safe.”

I said, “Well, you can cut that in half with no problem at all.” [Laughter]

And there were probably some other, similar sorts of issues, just because they had never thought about what just kind of personal equipment a female astronaut would take. They knew that a man might want a shaving kit, but they didn’t know what a woman would carry. Most of these were male engineers, so this was totally new and different to them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I do wish Costco carried more than one brand of tampon though. They are expensive and Costco has a name brand for cheap, but it is not my wife's brand and I am not dumb enough to suggest she change her brand so I can reduce the grocery budget. She would probably just serve me with divorce papers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like to know more about what was in the astronaut makeup kit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up on twitter of all places but a lot suddenly makes sense about at least some of the 'touching my groin in any circumstance is gay' thing is... quite possibly the result of abuse. Doesn't help that I've heard deliberately poor hygiene is often a reaction to childhood sexual abuse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

I would like to know more about what was in the astronaut makeup kit.

quote:

The makeup kit, which ultimately never made it to space, included eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, eye makeup remover, blush and lip gloss.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being upset with my girlfriend because she keeps making unsolicited comments about my hairline?

I am 22 years old. As you might have guessed from the title, yes I do have a kind of receding hairline. Its not bad yet but i guess if you look close enough or if you spend enough time with me then you'll definitely see it.

So my girlfriend has starting making comments about it lately. I'm trying to do a certain hairstyle and when I was talking to my girlfriend about it, she said "You have a receding hairline but its okay because I really like your hair"! Now I didn't know what to say to this. I feel like it was a backhanded compliment, so i just gave a little laugh and said oh well Im not sure I like you talking about my hairline that way. And she was like, but I didn't say anything bad, I said I loved your hair and that it was a compliment! Keep in mind that all we were talking about was conditioner washes and wearing shower caps and stuff, the conversation was nowhere near my hairline. However I didn't make a fuss because I wanted to keep the peace.

But recently its been getting worse. Even though I show signs of visible discomfort when she brings it up, and try to steer the conversation somewhere else, she won't stop. No she is not on the spectrum or anything like that, she's usually good about these things and is usually a very kind and empathetic person so its just odd seeing her act like this.

So today this morning, we were in bed, we were cuddling and she started tracing my hairline with her finger and she said "Yeah it keeps getting worse and worse. But it's okay, I love you for who you are!".

I had it. I jumped out of bed and I threw my hands up in frustration and asked her to stop making comments like these because it genuinely hurts my confidence and my body image. I couldnt believe her reply. She was like, "If you're secure in yourself and your masculinity then they shouldn't bother you at all. And besides, i'm just giving you the honesty that you need and deserve."

I honestly just walked away and I haven't texted her or said a word since. We both have classes this morning so ill just take some time to think it over before I talk to her again so make sure I'm in the right headspace.

I suppose I am being a bit insecure, but so what? I was under the impression that your partner shouldn't make you feel bad about yourself, but she thinks shes doing the exact opposite.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Tell her that women start going bald from the top and swirl your finger around in it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being upset with my girlfriend because she keeps making unsolicited comments about my hairline?

problem: my partner does not seek my affirmation of their body in the face of insecurity about the ravages of age on the corporeal form
solution: i will FORCE them to be insecure

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Comment on how the hair on her legs and crotch is looking quite full lately

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bf (30m) inboxing strippers.

My bf just turned 30 yesterday. We have been together for over a year. His friends wanted to take him to a strip club for his birthday. I’m not jealous or insecure about strippers or strip clubs in any way. I used to work at a strip club and I love strippers myself. I was more than happy to send him on his way with friends for a fun night out.

We live together. He comes home around 3:30ish. He was drunk talking. I laughed my rear end off at him and went to bed.

This morning his phone is semi blowing up with Instagram messages. A few were from A girl and it says “hiiii” the next one says “you remembered”

We are not super private about phones so I asked him who it was and said it was one of the strippers from last night.

I instantly became upset because I feel it’s inappropriate and disrespectful. I told him this and he said it’s just entertainment to which I reply “entertainment is one thing but seeking out said stripper on Instagram and exchanging messages IS inappropriate and disrespectful”

He then insults me and says you’re just old (I’m 6 years older) and just don’t understand stuff like this. He then follows up with more excuses

“It’s just entertainment. I have no ill intentions” “It was her birthday and I remembered it from last year” “I made it rain and she likes me. You’re just jealous” “I gave her my phone so she could follow me on insta and she messaged herself” “You’re just too old to understand that it’s a form of networking” “Nothing happened it’s innocent. I had plenty of opportunity to not come home last night but I still came home to you”

All of this made me furious because not only was the action disrespectful but the excuses to justify it were even more insulting and disrespectful.

I had a big birthday party planned for him but I’m thinking of cancelling and breaking up with him. This isn’t the first time he’s been in a strippers dm. He was in Vegas asking a stripper via Instagram if she was working in Vegas earlier this year.... which is again inappropriate and disrespectful.

Am I overreacting? Tl;dr Bf went out to a strip club for his 30th birthday. Followed stripper from strip club. Stripper has been messaging him since last night.

Editing to add that there were messages deleted because it said ***** liked your message. But there was nothing before her messages to him saying “hiii and you remembered”

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bf (30m) inboxing strippers.

My bf just turned 30 yesterday. We have been together for over a year. His friends wanted to take him to a strip club for his birthday. I’m not jealous or insecure about strippers or strip clubs in any way. I used to work at a strip club and I love strippers myself. I was more than happy to send him on his way with friends for a fun night out.

We live together. He comes home around 3:30ish. He was drunk talking. I laughed my rear end off at him and went to bed.

This morning his phone is semi blowing up with Instagram messages. A few were from A girl and it says “hiiii” the next one says “you remembered”

We are not super private about phones so I asked him who it was and said it was one of the strippers from last night.

I instantly became upset because I feel it’s inappropriate and disrespectful. I told him this and he said it’s just entertainment to which I reply “entertainment is one thing but seeking out said stripper on Instagram and exchanging messages IS inappropriate and disrespectful”

He then insults me and says you’re just old (I’m 6 years older) and just don’t understand stuff like this. He then follows up with more excuses

“It’s just entertainment. I have no ill intentions” “It was her birthday and I remembered it from last year” “I made it rain and she likes me. You’re just jealous” “I gave her my phone so she could follow me on insta and she messaged herself” “You’re just too old to understand that it’s a form of networking” “Nothing happened it’s innocent. I had plenty of opportunity to not come home last night but I still came home to you”

All of this made me furious because not only was the action disrespectful but the excuses to justify it were even more insulting and disrespectful.

I had a big birthday party planned for him but I’m thinking of cancelling and breaking up with him. This isn’t the first time he’s been in a strippers dm. He was in Vegas asking a stripper via Instagram if she was working in Vegas earlier this year.... which is again inappropriate and disrespectful.

Am I overreacting? Tl;dr Bf went out to a strip club for his 30th birthday. Followed stripper from strip club. Stripper has been messaging him since last night.

Editing to add that there were messages deleted because it said ***** liked your message. But there was nothing before her messages to him saying “hiii and you remembered”

She's trying to get him to come spend more money on her. She doesn't want your idiot boyfriend, you've got it locked down don't worry.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

star eater posted:

every single post is just

dude posting it : my (39M) gf (19F) of 5 years wont have sex with me anymore!! How do i kill her and make it look like an accident??

woman posting it : My (24F) bf (30M) of 3 months wants to kill me, am i overreacting or not being loving enough???

you forgot that the dude doesnt wash his rear end

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

She's trying to get him to come spend more money on her. She doesn't want your idiot boyfriend, you've got it locked down don't worry.
Nah, she’s completely right to worry, it’s just that it should be more along the lines of “after he blows all his money and can’t pay his half of rent, what am I going to do”.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for saying I'm more proud of my son than I am my daughter?

Imagine being proud of an investment banker

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A girl is afraid of me what do I do?

quote:

There was this girl that i saw everytime i took the bus to work. I fell in love with her at first sight.

Now it was hard to speak to her at first because i was afraid of losing her by doing something stupid. But i took to long to speak to her for about 2 months i saw her almost every work day and said nothing.

We did have these occasional times where we just looked at eachother

So i pulled myself together and walked to her and asked for her name, she says hey back but looks angry and looks me away.

I figured, hey i took to much time i need to make it up for her and let her know that i care about her. So about 2 weeks later i bought versace earrings for her. You know as a gift to let her know that i only mean good to her. So i walk into her work (i watched where she got off the bus each morning) and give it to her and of course she denies my gift.

Now if i have any contact with her again i will be fired from my job and charges will be pressed if her family chooses so.

Problem is i care more about this girl then anything else even after all this. Its extremely difficult to not think about her and i just want to let her know that i care a lot about her.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lucrece posted:

He needs to read the wiki, she obviously doesn't want earrings. This npc woman prefers rings, but he'll have to wait until spring to try again since the game only lets you try and woo once per season.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for saying I don't want a car with strings attached; I'd rather save for my own car.

I am 16f and I just passed my driver's license test. My parents had been saying for a while that they'd get me a car when I passed the test, and I passed on the first try!

My parents sat me down and said that the car would come with some restrictions and expectations...

I would pay for my insurance and gas, and tolls, with money from my part time job. (I'd be on their insurance but I'd pay my part)

I would drive my siblings ( 14m 11m ) to school, home from soccer and robotics club, etc.

I would run family errands twice a month.

I would be responsible for car maintenance and cleaning.

I would have my car privileges suspended if I got a speeding ticket, other moving violation, or was seen driving unsafely

I would not drive more than one friend at a time as they might be a distraction.

The car was to stay at home as a family car / learner car for my brothers when I go to college

Afterwards, I thought through all that, and realized I'd basically be paying a lot of my own money to be a driver for my brothers all the time. And I wouldn't even be able to use my car for much of what Id want to use it for. Like doing things with friends. And I wouldn't have a car for college.

So I thought on it. I made a budget of how much I'd spend a month on maintenance, gas, tolls, cleaning, insurance, etc... Versus how much I was making at my job.

Then I figured how long it would take for me to save up and buy my own car, and still be budgeting for all the monthly costs. And I figured that if I put my savings into a car fund and also saved for six to eight months, If be able to afford my own car and all its costs.

I thought that would be a much better choice; I'd have a car to take to college and I wouldn't have to be the chauffeur to my brothers every day.

So yesterday I told my parents "No thanks; I'd rather keep working and save up for a car I can totally own. I've worked out a budget and think it will take under 8 months."

I honestly thought my parents would be OK with it; they value budgeting and personal responsibility a lot so I thought they might even be proud of me making this my goal. But they had a lot of problems with it, that I'll just summarize here

They want me to drive my brothers so my mom and dad don't have to any more.

They think the sort of car I can afford (a mid 2000s sedan like a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry) would be a lot less safe than what they were planning on getting. (A new Hyundai SUV)

The car is not just for me, it will be a third family car for when my brothers learn to drive too.

I feel like that's really unfair, that they won't let me save for my own car instead. It's like they've decided they're gonna give me something I don't even want, and I don't have a choice in it.

WIBTA if I said I won't drive the car my parents buy, if they buy it, I've decided I'm gonna save for my own car instead?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's not having a car, that's being made to pay to be the family chauffeur.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lucrece posted:

quote:

Do you even know what a stalker is? You have to follow someone for at least 24 HOURS. All I did was give her a gift and say hi, I only saw her on the bus, why do I deserve to be treated this way?

The whole thread is him saying "But she never said no, she'll like me once she knows I'm a nice guy!". If he's not a troll hopefully he gets arrested.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Lucrece posted:

This guy is like one step away from being the loser who killed Jayme Closs' parents and kidnapped her after randomly seeing her on the street.

I hope this girl gets the hell away from him before he decides he just has to prove whatever point he's trying to make.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lucrece posted:

Problem is i care more about this girl then anything else even after all this. Its extremely difficult to not think about her and i just want to let her know that i care a lot about her.

Some variant of that line is always in these posts, and I'm just... has nobody ever, at any point, told these guys, "Maybe you just have to deal with that"???

Because I feel like most of us learned back in toddler times that "But I want it!" isn't the magic words to attain everything.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's not having a car, that's being made to pay to be the family chauffeur.

From the time I started driving at 15 to the time I left for college my mother never left the house.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for saying I don't want a car with strings attached; I'd rather save for my own car.

You have to pay for everything related to the car but we own the car and dictate how you use it, and the only way you will use it is to chauffeur your siblings or else we will take away the privileges of the car you pay everything on.

Good deal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If you want a new family car, get a family car. If you want your kid to drive around your other kids, work out a deal so they get access to the car in exchange for doing chores or errands. Trying to dress it up as "we're giving you a car, BUT" is patently absurd and these parents are dumb as hell, even more so for getting mad that their scheme got called out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal

MrQwerty posted:

You have to pay for everything related to the car but we own the car and dictate how you use it, and the only way you will use it is to chauffeur your siblings or else we will take away the privileges of the car you pay everything on.

Good deal.

Also we're going to take the car away no matter what when you go off to college

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It's amazing how they screwed themselves on setting reasonable restrictions by piling a bunch of poo poo on top of them. If only they'd just said here's a car, 1 passenger at a time, if you get a ticket you're grounded. She'd have grumbled but probably accepted it. Instead they wanted her to pay to do their errands for them, so she's sold them to stick it and is now getting a car they consider less safe and with none of their restrictions at all. Good job parents.

They should be proud that two complete idiots managed to raise a kid with functioning braincells.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I [27F] broke up with my boyfriend [50M] for sending flirty text messages to other girls. Would I be an idiot if I forgave him?

quote:

Throwaway, obviously.

I [27F] had been dating my boyfriend [50M] for a little over a year, but we had been exclusive for about eight months (he was traveling for work, then I was traveling for work and we didn't want to start anything until we were in the same place).

I was initially a little skeptical about the age difference, but our chemistry in person is magnetic. He's divorced, no kids, and incredibly smart, kind, funny, successful, and supportive. I loved spending time with him and we were planning a future together.

A few weeks ago, I was at a restaurant with an old friend from college when I happened to notice my boyfriend waiting in line. To my friend I go, "Oh my god, I think that's the boyfriend I was telling you about right over there!" and we both turn to look as he puts his hand on the lower back of the (young-looking, very pretty) girl he was having lunch with. He did tell me he was having lunch with a friend but..... lower back. And I obviously have no idea who this girl is.

I go over, and he's super flustered but he introduces me as his girlfriend, and when I talk to him about it that night, about how much it freaked me out, he assured me she was just a random acquaintance he barely knows, he doesn't remember putting his hand on her back, it was just a mistake and he feels awful. Okay. I forgive him. Relationships are trust. We move on.

But then he starts getting SUPER WEIRD about his phone. Abnormally weird. Takes it to the shower. Starts using a password. Always turns it off and keeps it face down. Tilts the screen away from me—very different from his normal behavior. I'm not a crazy jealous girlfriend, and I'm not proud of this but..... I look at the phone.

He has lots of texts with girls, nothing OVERTLY sexual, but a lot of "hey beautiful" "still gorgeous as ever?" "your curves looked amazing last night." Some girl had asked him if he was single and he said something like, "Full disclosure, I'm sort of seeing someone now, but I'm not sure how long it'll last." For context, this would be right around the time he was asking me about moving in with him.

I confront him, he denies, but then confesses in an "I don't remember but if you say it's true, it's true" way. He apologizes. Later in the conversation, he admits he hosed up and got in a bad habit of flirting with girls but swears he never actually physically cheated on me. The truth is, I believe he didn't physically cheat, but I still feel like our trust is broken.

He tells me how much he loves me and wants an entire life with me and how angry he is at himself for hurting me and ruining our future. I really miss him. Would I be an idiot for getting back together with him? I know they say something about old dogs and new tricks......

tl;dr: I thought my boyfriend was crazy about me, he was texting other girls flirty things behind my back. That counts as cheating, right?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucrece posted:

Once you start arguing over the specifics of being a stalker you are a stalker.

Absent context but I would guess this person has never had a girlfriend before. Buying $hundreds in luxury brand earrings for someone you said high to is some serious psycho level ahit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If it was a matter of them being broke and needing the daughter to pitch in it would be one thing, but if they're talking about buying a new SUV as a 3rd car then they have no excuse. Throw the kid some extra gas money for driving their siblings around like everyone else does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Once you start arguing over the specifics of being a stalker you are a stalker.

Absent context but I would guess this person has never had a girlfriend before. Buying $hundreds in luxury brand earrings for someone you said high to is some serious psycho level ahit.

One of my friends in college ended up with some dude buying her a new iPod. Not a nano or shuffle, one of those 60GB ones. I told her “he’s into you, big time, to like seriously unhealthy levels” but she was kind of oblivious and sheltered and insisted that he was just a really good friend.

I think it was about six weeks until I was telling her “I told you so” while he had a giant meltdown.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

My husband (32/m) is upset that I (31/f) don't look more like a mom.

Dan and I have been married for 3 years and 8 months ago welcomed our amazing son into the world. He was very planned and wanted and motherhood had been transformative for me. I was able to take 4 1/2 months maternity leave before going back to work. Without going into too many details, we both work white collar jobs that require professional attire. A normal work day look for me is a skirt or pair of slacks, a silk blouse, pumps or boots depending on the weather (but always with a heel because I'm 5 foot nothing), maybe a blazer if I have a big meeting. Dan wears a suit almost everyday. I also style my hair and do some makeup for work everyday. This is what I wore before our son was born and what I continue to wear.

Dan and I are pretty even in sharing parenting duties. I tend to take mornings because I'm more of a morning person that Dan. A normal morning for me starts early, short workout, shower, get baby up, get ready, get baby ready and baby off to Dan because the daycare is on Dan's way to work. I'm normally dressed at the tail end of this process but I keep my robe on over my clothes in case my son wants to give my outfit something to remember him by on our way out the door.

For the last month or so, Dan has been more irritable than normal in the morning. There have been side comments if he gets up and I'm drying my hair or getting dressed- basically if I'm not 100% focused on my son in the am. Our son is happy playing and supervised so I just chalked it up to morning moodieness but it's been getting worse.

Last night I brought it up in what I thought was a neutral, non confrontational way. Basically his answer was this: his mom was 100% a mom after her kids were born. She gained a fair amount of weight after she had kids and never tried to lose it. She wore sweatpants everyday and works a job where she wears a uniform so if she wasn't in her work uniform she was in sweats and a tshirt. She never did her hair or make up. Her entire identity was being a mom and she's shared with me how hard it was to watch her kids start their own lives. Dan thinks I don't care about our son as much as he does since I worked on losing the baby weight and still put effort into my appearance.

I feel like keeping this part of my identity actually helps me be a better mother. I love my son but I'm still me and I still have the things I like to do. Dressing wel my identity actually helps me be a better mother. I love my son but I'm still me and I still have the things I like to do. Dressing well, blowing out my hair and doing my make up are therapeutic to me. Now that being said, my son is my life and if I knew that not doing those things but guarantee him a happy healthy life I would stop immediately. I told Dan that my son and I have our morning routine and he gets lots of time and attention before I go to the office. Dan said he wasn't looking to fight but he just wanted me to think about my priorities and my time management.

Is it normal for new moms to totally sacrifice all the things you like to do? Is this a sign of something deeper I need to address with my husband?

TL;DR: my husband thinks because I take my time to get ready every morning, I'm not as good of a mother as it could be.

My wife still looks attractive after she had our child. What do? Is she broken?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Xenocides posted:

Dan and I have been married for 3 years and 8 months ago welcomed our amazing son into the world. He was very planned and wanted and motherhood had been transformative for me. I was able to take 4 1/2 months maternity leave before going back to work. Without going into too many details, we both work white collar jobs that require professional attire. A normal work day look for me is a skirt or pair of slacks, a silk blouse, pumps or boots depending on the weather (but always with a heel because I'm 5 foot nothing), maybe a blazer if I have a big meeting. Dan wears a suit almost everyday. I also style my hair and do some makeup for work everyday. This is what I wore before our son was born and what I continue to wear.

Dan and I are pretty even in sharing parenting duties. I tend to take mornings because I'm more of a morning person that Dan. A normal morning for me starts early, short workout, shower, get baby up, get ready, get baby ready and baby off to Dan because the daycare is on Dan's way to work. I'm normally dressed at the tail end of this process but I keep my robe on over my clothes in case my son wants to give my outfit something to remember him by on our way out the door.

For the last month or so, Dan has been more irritable than normal in the morning. There have been side comments if he gets up and I'm drying my hair or getting dressed- basically if I'm not 100% focused on my son in the am. Our son is happy playing and supervised so I just chalked it up to morning moodieness but it's been getting worse.

Last night I brought it up in what I thought was a neutral, non confrontational way. Basically his answer was this: his mom was 100% a mom after her kids were born. She gained a fair amount of weight after she had kids and never tried to lose it. She wore sweatpants everyday and works a job where she wears a uniform so if she wasn't in her work uniform she was in sweats and a tshirt. She never did her hair or make up. Her entire identity was being a mom and she's shared with me how hard it was to watch her kids start their own lives. Dan thinks I don't care about our son as much as he does since I worked on losing the baby weight and still put effort into my appearance.

I feel like keeping this part of my identity actually helps me be a better mother. I love my son but I'm still me and I still have the things I like to do. Dressing wel my identity actually helps me be a better mother. I love my son but I'm still me and I still have the things I like to do. Dressing well, blowing out my hair and doing my make up are therapeutic to me. Now that being said, my son is my life and if I knew that not doing those things but guarantee him a happy healthy life I would stop immediately. I told Dan that my son and I have our morning routine and he gets lots of time and attention before I go to the office. Dan said he wasn't looking to fight but he just wanted me to think about my priorities and my time management.

Is it normal for new moms to totally sacrifice all the things you like to do? Is this a sign of something deeper I need to address with my husband?

TL;DR: my husband thinks because I take my time to get ready every morning, I'm not as good of a mother as it could be.

What the gently caress Dan, she’s not a goddamn prisoner. Why don’t you just be pleased with the fact she’s still got some individuality and practices self care like a healthy person and not your obviously depressed mom?

MAYBE you mom would have been less depressed if you were a less lovely child that grew into an adult-sized pile of trash?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Xenocides posted:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Xenocides posted:

Your husband is loving trash and irreparably broken deep inside. His image of a mother isn't an image of a person with their own wants, needs, or identity. His image of a mother is a formless, boundary-free blob that only exists to supply her children with their needs, never concerned with her own. :sever: from this narrow-minded fool before he erodes your self-esteem and takes your power and your identity away from you. Mothers need to reclaim their identities or they fall into neurotic patterns due to the psychic toll childbirth and childcare has.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Getting a vibe there that the real complaint is that Dan doesn't want to have to spend any time on the baby, since that's Mom's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Xenocides posted:

The appearance is just an intermediate step. The end game here is that she quits her job, becomes a stay at home mom, and does 100.00% of the child care responsibilities while he doesn't have to deal with any of that.

The only uncertainty is whether or not Dan's plan still includes washing his own rear end or if that also falls under "be a better mom and do this for me".