Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now who will man the biggest drum kit in recorded history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

xzzy posted:

Now who will man the biggest drum kit in recorded history?

Im sure Portnoy will get up there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had the random masochistic urge to search around and find out what kind of awful poo poo Tom G Warrior must believe nowadays. Of course I very quickly found him talking about animal welfare, anti trump stuff, pro climate awareness. Thank you Tom!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kilometers Davis posted:

I had the random masochistic urge to search around and find out what kind of awful poo poo Tom G Warrior must believe nowadays. Of course I very quickly found him talking about animal welfare, anti trump stuff, pro climate awareness. Thank you Tom!

:woop:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
what ever happened to celtic frost

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

They broke up, got back together but didn't like each other, broke up again, and then Martin Eric Ain died.

Triptykon has started doing Celtic Frost sets live sometimes and I think they have a new album coming.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 11, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

They got lost
in the pandemonium
never to be seen again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEiQDQ1MyM

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

some say late at night you can still hear them playing...on the mexican radio

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Tom is also playing Hellhammer stuff live under the moniker Triumph of Death. No idea if that’s good or not.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just learned that there’s a band called Godflesh Deformed and I’m sad that it’s melodic black metal and not some insane Godflesh remixes.

E- oh and the Godflesh patch I posted earlier showed up and it rules

Snowy fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 11, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

I just learned that there’s a band called Godflesh Deformed and I’m sad that it’s melodic black metal and not some insane Godflesh remixes.

E- oh and the Godflesh patch I posted earlier showed up and it rules

listen to Love and Hate in Dub

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have to say just as a wellness check on y’all that if you’ve never been into Celtic Frost, please give the band a try. I go through phases every now and then where I get tired of the way a lot of metal sounds and I take a breather in the CF zone. I’m sure many of you have been fans for a while but maybe not everyone! It’s some of the best metal ever recorded. The top shelf riffs just keep going and going and no one riffs like that. The Tom G guitar tone is an evolved very powerful form of the Supernaut tone and it rules. Try out Morbid Taled and then Monotheist and see if anything catches you. I bet it will. Unless you’re a fuckin’ coward. You don’t want to be a coward do you? Good because you’re not one but I still want you to listen to Celtic Frost.

Into the Crypts of Rays (early 80s straight to the meaty bits option)

A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh (late 2000s slower burn track)

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Gatecreeper - From the Ashes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFAmWeCzRk

heavy metal track o the day
Traveler - Starbreaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7oN666PlSY

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
https://thehardtimes.net/music/band-who-cites-kiss-as-influence-also-sucks/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have to say just as a wellness check on y’all that if you’ve never been into Celtic Frost, please give the band a try. I go through phases every now and then where I get tired of the way a lot of metal sounds and I take a breather in the CF zone. I’m sure many of you have been fans for a while but maybe not everyone! It’s some of the best metal ever recorded. The top shelf riffs just keep going and going and no one riffs like that. The Tom G guitar tone is an evolved very powerful form of the Supernaut tone and it rules. Try out Morbid Taled and then Monotheist and see if anything catches you. I bet it will. Unless you’re a fuckin’ coward. You don’t want to be a coward do you? Good because you’re not one but I still want you to listen to Celtic Frost.

is there really anyone here who hasn't heard celtic frost?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

People have weird blind spots sometimes and everyone has had different metal entry points.

I’m watching the Death documentary Death by Metal (on Prime if you have it). Really good, surprisingly warts-and-all look. I knew Chuck had a reputation for being demanding and a perfectionist but a lot of that band’s turnover was really him being an rear end in a top hat. I’m sure if he were alive he’d reflect on it as being young and stupid though.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price

my bony fealty posted:

hell yeah

was cruising around with Crystal Logic blasting this weekend like a real street jammer

anyone here get the chance to see the Road live? I am forever sad I will never get to. RIP the Shark a true one.

Late here, saw them twice, once at MDF and once at Days of Darkness a few years later. Thought they were kind lackluster at MDF but the set DoD was one if the best I'd ever seen.

Also went to this show in Germany at Keep it True:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Vft6q8DTY

One of the best sets I've ever seen. Spent a lot of it crying, Manilla Road is an all time favorite of mine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Sometimes you just have to wake and bake and think about Tom G Warrior too much and want to share the good word of Tom G Warrior with the world plz do not shame me I am but a humble messenger of the riff

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

In addition to Triptykon, Tom's also do some shows as "Triumph of Death" where they're playing Hellhammer and Frost songs.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

People have weird blind spots sometimes and everyone has had different metal entry points.

I’m watching the Death documentary Death by Metal (on Prime if you have it). Really good, surprisingly warts-and-all look. I knew Chuck had a reputation for being demanding and a perfectionist but a lot of that band’s turnover was really him being an rear end in a top hat. I’m sure if he were alive he’d reflect on it as being young and stupid though.

I liked when he ghosted the entire band and his record label the day before their first European tour and then threw a fit when the other members went to Europe without him to fulfill their contractual obligations, and the label wouldn’t fly him out two weeks later to join the tour in progress.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rexxed posted:

They got lost
in the pandemonium
never to be seen again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEiQDQ1MyM

thank you for getting this right

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ruadh - Where I Belong

I like this snare sound a lot

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ruadh - Where I Belong

It doesn't especially stand out to me, but that's because I'm liking the whole drat thing a lot so the snare sound is just one cool thing among the rest of the cool things.

In other words, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aw yeah check out what came in today. Thanks to Bandcamp it came with a digital download but the album also came with a separate download code, so I have an extra copy to give out.

:pcgaming: so uh yeah free giveaway. post your favorite toxic Holocaust song and ill pick a winner and email you the code on the download card :pcgaming:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
allegedly the new midnight album doesnt come out until jan 24th but its on apple music for streaming right now if thats your thing

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My favorite TH song is Nuke the Cross cause it's the first song of theirs I heard and also because I saw them on Halloween years ago and they were all dressed like ZZ Top, and during the chorus of that song where the music stops and Joel yells "nuke the cross", instead he yelled "ZZ TOP" and I still think about that sometimes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
But also I just discovered Mizmor and Cairn is a drat masterpiece.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok can I just amend my AOTY 2019 list and toss this Ruadh album there somewhere? Because gently caress me these riffs are beautiful

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nordick posted:

Ok can I just amend my AOTY 2019 list and toss this Ruadh album there somewhere? Because gently caress me these riffs are beautiful

Right? I got bored and googled “celtic black metal” and chose them to try out and it blew me away. I love their sound.

2019 was insane for bm, I never made a list but the genre would fill most of it I think.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I thought the intro was giving me some major Tolkien vibes, and when I went to buy the album on Bandcamp, sure enough the dude behind it (this is another one-man atmoblack project) has some Elven script tattooed around his forearm. Takes one to know one, I guess.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nordick posted:

I thought the intro was giving me some major Tolkien vibes, and when I went to buy the album on Bandcamp, sure enough the dude behind it (this is another one-man atmoblack project) has some Elven script tattooed around his forearm. Takes one to know one, I guess.

Oh yeah of course I’m naturally drawn towards nerd rear end Tolkien metal, niiice

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

2019 was insane for bm, I never made a list but the genre would fill most of it I think.

2018 was a lot bigger a BM year for me, but seriously that's probably just down to me not happening across as much good poo poo by chance.

And while we're on the subject of black metal, I'm also digging this atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONzTkfmJig

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 12, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

My favorite TH song is Nuke the Cross cause it's the first song of theirs I heard and also because I saw them on Halloween years ago and they were all dressed like ZZ Top, and during the chorus of that song where the music stops and Joel yells "nuke the cross", instead he yelled "ZZ TOP" and I still think about that sometimes.

lol that rules

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
joel grind loving rules

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

COOL CORN posted:

Lol that rules, ok you get the download code for their new album

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

joel grind loving rules

Nordick posted:

2018 was a lot bigger a BM year for me, but seriously that's probably just down to me not happening across as much good poo poo by chance.

And while we're on the subject of black metal, I'm also digging this atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONzTkfmJig

:yeah:

Honestly yeah I’ve been on a black metal kick since fall/winter rolled in so I’ve been pretty aware of the genre. The last few years I neglected bm for some reason. I think I get bogged down by sorting through mediocre bands but I’ve had solid luck finding new bm lately. I had forgotten how much I love more energetic atmoblack tinged stuff with driving drums, soaring melodies. The poo poo that feels like the soundtrack to riding a horse through an ancient desolate landscape :black101:

I’m a basic bitch and love nature sounds and blastbeats

Sad that Empire of the Moon album isn’t on Apple Music yet, sounds great so far

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

nature sounds and blastbeats

Mods name change PLEASE

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ruadh - Where I Belong

Nordick posted:

It doesn't especially stand out to me, but that's because I'm liking the whole drat thing a lot so the snare sound is just one cool thing among the rest of the cool things.

In other words, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Hey, this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Who here enjoys weedly woo tech death metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2m_hJczeoQ