Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

New install Windows 10 Pro: this goddamn update orchestrator service is waking my pc a thousand times a day and doesn't show up on the task scheduler for me to modify. Hopefully disabling wake timers will resolve this really stupid issue.

edit: oh no wait, I found it in Task Scheduler. Now watch it stealth re-enable itself.
edit2: can't disable it. lol

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

New install Windows 10 Pro: this goddamn update orchestrator service is waking my pc a thousand times a day and doesn't show up on the task scheduler for me to modify. Hopefully disabling wake timers will resolve this really stupid issue.

edit: oh no wait, I found it in Task Scheduler. Now watch it stealth re-enable itself.
edit2: can't disable it. lol

First try setting this option in your power plan:

If that doesn't work, check these instructions for how to edit the task.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Thanks for this. I had a folder of tweaks like this called "windows 7 annoyances." Just started one for 10.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 10, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks for this. I had a folder of tweaks like this called "windows 7 annoyances." Just started one for 10.

Some additional group policy suggestions:
Disable Aero Shake (I've only ever triggered this accidentally): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4417-enable-disable-aero-shake-windows-10-a.html
Disable the Lock Screen (the one you have to slide up before you're able to enter the password): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6567-enable-disable-lock-screen-windows-10-a.html

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Huh. Maybe it's some weird configuration or version related issue with it then. I ran it on two computers and my store is still there on both of them. Good to know it might be an issue though, thanks.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lowclock posted:

Maybe you're thinking of something else? Windows10Debloater does not remove the store.

I used the debloater on four PC's over the last week and the store still exists and works on all of them

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I heard there were plans to get Office into the store. It's probably related to the UWP stuff, and Office is still a massive messy pig.

Full Win32 Office has been in Store for Years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MikusR posted:

Full Win32 Office has been in Store for Years.

There’s a listing for it, but after you buy it it just takes you to a website where you download the installer. Office isn’t distributed through the store.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The debloater tool does not mess anything up. Store is fine.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Weedle posted:

There’s a listing for it, but after you buy it it just takes you to a website where you download the installer. Office isn’t distributed through the store.

My 10.1'' 2in1 and 13'' laptop came with Store installed and updateable Office. But Microsoft has discontinued it https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-removes-ability-install-office-directly-microsoft-store-windows-10

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Microsoft has also just deprecated the Store for Business. It's a real clownshow.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I don't understand: Is the Windows Store now a good thing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It's now the only way to download Nvidia control panel I think so lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

They apparently introduced this whole complicated system where drivers are supposed to be paired with a special permission that's only given to a specific UWP app to configure the driver, so maybe they are still trying to get hardware companies to use that. I don't think it precludes sideloading the appx file though.

It's really unclear what the exact status of a lot of windows store related stuff now. I guess it still serves some purpose for people who want to use it so they aren't going to kill it for the moment? They also don't seem to have given up on getting people to use microsof accounts and the windows store is one way to encourage that, I guess.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 11, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

For DCH drivers, that's true. For standard drivers, it's still the traditional method.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Microsoft has also just deprecated the Store for Business. It's a real clownshow.

You have got to be fing kidding..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

I don't understand: Is the Windows Store now a good thing?

it's unironically loving great that windows finally has a normal loving package manager integrated like any decent OS has had since the early noughties.

what's not so great is, i don't think you can add your own sources to said package manager/store. this isn't a problem for normal users, but "prosumers" and people who don't want to pay for...

Lambert posted:

well, i guess nobody will be able to pay for that functionality anymore either, lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

it's unironically loving great that windows finally has a normal loving package manager integrated like any decent OS has had since the early noughties.

what's not so great is, i don't think you can add your own sources to said package manager/store. this isn't a problem for normal users, but "prosumers" and people who don't want to pay for...
well, i guess nobody will be able to pay for that functionality anymore either, lmao
It seems like you can sideload appx files from the command line as long as you import the certificate, so there's probably nothing stopping someone from making their own appx package manager.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Truga posted:

what's not so great is, i don't think you can add your own sources to said package manager/store.

Unless MS made some changes between the package manager debut in Win8 and now, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from using third party sources. I remember people using Chocolatey as a package source, albeit via command line. Might need an equivalent of the Store app to act as a UI for general use and simplify update checks.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

beuges posted:

Microsoft is increasingly moving applications that used to be part of the overall Windows installation over to the store, so that they can be updated independently of the OS. If you remove the store, you won't be able to update those applications. Maybe the semi-annual service pack releases will refresh them for you, but there's always the chance that they won't, since the expectation is that they would be kept updated via the store.

I wouldn't mind the store being actually useful, but as with a lot stuff MS does lately it is all loving half assed. Apple had nearly all their application in the store on day one, making it actually useful. All the important applications from MS are just doing their own thing, making the store more of a hassle than something useful.

In my 4 years of running this Windows 10 machine I have never ever used the store.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

In my 4 years of running this Windows 10 machine I have never ever used the store.

You haven't directly interacted with it, but unless you've removed Edge or OneNote or any of the other built-in apps then your computer has been using it pretty frequently.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is there a way i can make a desktop icon or something similarly easy to make that highlighted audio device the active one?

i do have display fusion but i didnt really see a way to make a specific audio device a trigger. just next/previous

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Statutory Ape posted:

is there a way i can make a desktop icon or something similarly easy to make that highlighted audio device the active one?

i do have display fusion but i didnt really see a way to make a specific audio device a trigger. just next/previous
I use this program. You can exclude the devices you never use and the switch on click on the tray icon or whatever.

Alternatively Nirsoft nircmd can select specific audio devices I'm pretty sure, which you could trigger with a batch file.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is autohotkey still the thing folks use to override Windows hotkeys, or has the world moved on since I created my last script 7 years ago? Wanna get my esoteric hotkeys and application launching combos back, the hell with this Ctrl+Alt shortcut stuff, I want Win+F1 to do something other than open Edge, etc.

Also a pat on the back to MS for implementing a reasonably slick virtual desktop switcher. It’s almost as good as bblean’s implementation. I miss being able to gather windows or send them to other desktops with a hotkeys combo, but I get it, making things is hard.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Autohotkey is still great.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Has anybody played with AutoPilot for deploying images at all? How do you like it compared to traditional WDS?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You haven't directly interacted with it, but unless you've removed Edge.

The only thing Edge uses store for is Extensions. Edge updates come from Windows update.

Also. OneDrive that is installed by default uses it's own independent update mechanism.
The new Chromium based Edge that will start forced rollout on January 15 also has its own update mechanism.
There is also OneGet (installed by default) that is a package manager manager. You can see what package managers you have installed by running get-packageprovider in powershell.

doctorfrog posted:

I miss being able to gather windows or send them to other desktops with a hotkeys combo, but I get it, making things is hard.
There is https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys#fancyzones

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 11, 2020

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I have a Windows 10 VM which I log into on my LAN using RDP. It's licensed as 10 Pro (obviously).

It's registered with an Outlook account and if I go to change the account password I am redirected to MS Portal website, where I can change the Outlook password.

The RDP password stays the same, though.

How can I change the RDP password so that both passwords are the same?

I've looked in loads of menu's and had a decent web search.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

apropos man posted:

I have a Windows 10 VM which I log into on my LAN using RDP. It's licensed as 10 Pro (obviously).

It's registered with an Outlook account and if I go to change the account password I am redirected to MS Portal website, where I can change the Outlook password.

The RDP password stays the same, though.

How can I change the RDP password so that both passwords are the same?

I've looked in loads of menu's and had a decent web search.

MMC -> local users and groups?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Klyith posted:

MMC -> local users and groups?

Tried that and I though I was on to something. I added the users and group management plugin for MMC and tried changing the password for the user that I RDP in with.

I got a dialog starting with "The system is not authoritative for the specified account..." and carries on with some unintelligible gibberish.

I then created a local user that has admin privs, logged in as the local user and tried to change the password for the user that I RDP in with. Got the same error message as above.

I give up. I hate Windows. The MS help forums should be subject to an EMP wave, too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

apropos man posted:

Tried that and I though I was on to something. I added the users and group management plugin for MMC and tried changing the password for the user that I RDP in with.

I got a dialog starting with "The system is not authoritative for the specified account..." and carries on with some unintelligible gibberish.

I then created a local user that has admin privs, logged in as the local user and tried to change the password for the user that I RDP in with. Got the same error message as above.

I give up. I hate Windows. The MS help forums should be subject to an EMP wave, too.

MS accounts are a plague. Switch over to local accounts for everything that you actually use.

If you have to have a MS account on the system connected for the OS license / other software licenses, use a separate account that you disable (in MMC) when you don't need it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All the tweaks I'm doing it's feeling like 1995 again. Thanks and I'll add this to the toolbox.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

So, an update. I think disabling wake timers is working, but it's hard to say, because now UsoSvc (Universal Orchestrator) is mostly keeping the thing awake.

Would it be an awful idea to add it to powercfg -requestsoverride?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've got Windows 10 up and running, and I'm still getting used to the new environment. Some questions:

--going into the privacy settings, I basically want to turn off all the Windows and app permissions, correct?
--Default Windows security programs (Defender and firewall) are adequate and all I really need is a good ad blocker? (I've seen uBlock Origin recommended)
--Will my old copy of Office XP Professional still work, or will I need a newer edition? Word is all I actually use, but I really need it.
--Any point to using a different browser than the included MS Edge?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meaty Ore posted:

--Default Windows security programs (Defender and firewall) are adequate and all I really need is a good ad blocker? (I've seen uBlock Origin recommended)
--Will my old copy of Office XP Professional still work, or will I need a newer edition? Word is all I actually use, but I really need it.

-- Yeah, use UBO in whatever browser you use and you'll be alright most likely (just don't run weird EXEs, etc)
-- The official answer seems to be "maybe", try it, if it doesn't work you could use Office Online or LibreOffice or get 365
-- Edge is fine, though it'll be changing a bit soon. If you're more comfortable with Chrome or Firefox then there's no real harm in using those. It's a personal preference thing, really.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

So, an update. I think disabling wake timers is working, but it's hard to say, because now UsoSvc (Universal Orchestrator) is mostly keeping the thing awake.

Would it be an awful idea to add it to powercfg -requestsoverride?

If that works it would be a better idea than the method of forcefully taking over the task and editing it. When I was looking into all this the first time around it was widely reported to not work -- but so was disabling wake timers. At the time MS had made orchestrator into some sort of super-task that ignored all the

I have a hard time experimenting with that thing myself anymore, because on my desktop I've already done weird poo poo to the task. And on my laptop, orchestrator stopped waking multiple times per night on its own.

Meaty Ore posted:

--going into the privacy settings, I basically want to turn off all the Windows and app permissions, correct?
The one thing to know is turning off app permissions with the big on/off button affects both windows store apps and normal apps. The big example is turning off "allow apps to access your microphone" really does block the microphone to *all* software. And normal win32 apps generally have a very unhelpful error message about it.

quote:

If you care about your privacy enough to turn off all the windows stuff off, why not use firefox?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Edge is good btw

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Old Edge was gutter trash, new Edge is reskinned Chrome and fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I gave Edge an honest shot from day one, and holy balls was it bad. It ran fine until you opened ten tabs or more and then it immediately crashed into the loving earth. It got a lot better, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I stopped using edge when I found out you couldn’t save a webpage to disk from it... as in it’s not supported at all

Also, patch your win10 machines as quickly as possible. Pretty huge exploit announced today.

https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jan/14/2002234275/-1/-1/0/CSA-WINDOWS-10-CRYPT-LIB-20190114.PDF