Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got fed up with the water mechanic and modded it out. Didn't really seem to add anything to the game other than wasting some extra turns here and there.

I always end turns near Skaven territory in Ambush stance because of what you described by the way. It still took like 3 stacks to finally corner and get rid of Snikch. Ugh.

Isn't the mechanic all positive?

If you have water you are immune to desert attrition.

If you don't, you are a normal army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Theswarms posted:

haha i never tested to see the consequences on a non-desert terrain.l

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Theswarms posted:

Yes, this is definitely correct :)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sober up, Warhammer 2: Total War; you're drunk if you think that was a Close Victory

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've had that happen because it counts ammo expended, but as VC what?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Maybe it also counts total damage taken, since regeneration kicks in?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enigma posted:

I've had that happen because it counts ammo expended, but as VC what?
Damage done to (regenerating) Lords and Heroes.

jokes posted:

The water mechanic rules because there’s zero situations where you should have an army waiting around without attacking in five turns. If you ever run the clock out on a siege, you’re doing everything wrong.

The water mechanic is easily ignored if you play the game right, which is to always be attacking the nearest enemy army or defending settlements. If all your neighbors are allies, then your reliability score is about to take a huge hit.

Worth noting the only exception to this is when you build up your first province where you need to tech up and beef up and get walls.

This is the problem with the vortex poo poo, too. It encourages turtling and discourages conquering. Which is boring poo poo.
Agreed one hundred percent. I played over 100 turns as Vortex Repanse and it was great the whole time, also,

Theswarms posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Close Victories count if the balance of power for you gets close to 50% or less. A heroic victory is a victory where the balance of power dropped below, I think, 40%.

E: I don’t know, but some goon said this a long time ago and it seems right.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 12, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

jokes posted:

Close Victories count if the balance of power for you gets close to 50% or less. A heroic victory is a victory where the balance of power dropped below, I think, 40%.

E: I don’t know, but some goon said this a long time ago and it seems right.

Here's how it works :

The game takes the cumulative health and damage dealt out by each side,and based on the ratio determines prryhic/close/decisive /heroic victory. There's also some other thresholds you have to cross as well--notice that crushing a tiny 1 man army doesn't give you a heroic victory, because the ratio of your army's health vs theirs can't be too lopsided.

Because it's based on health /damage and not casualties, you do end up with weirdness where tanky armies have little to no casualties. This happens a lot with dwarfs where you get close victories even though none of your guys died. I'm not sure how regeneration or summons factor into things.

Typically to get a 'Heroic' victory then, you need to win by a crazy upset. This usually happens by exploiting the AI, or getting a really favorable map where you can just funnel them into a choke point.

Edit to add: the exp of the lord and heroes are based on the margin of victory too. Winning a lot of pyrrhic victories will level them up much slower than a decisive victory.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

How do vampire counts fight dwarves? Karak Kadrin just broke the non-aggression pact they signed with me 2 turns ago, and holy poo poo fighting them with remotely even odds sucks rear end.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Well first off I'd say avoid even fights. The free upkeep for Skeletons can make maintaining extra armies cheap, so you might as well have back-up to your normal stacks. Otherwise I'd say anti-armour units, so great weapons versions. Can't use artillery which is good against dwarves, so probably use magic as an equivalent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeremor posted:

How do vampire counts fight dwarves? Karak Kadrin just broke the non-aggression pact they signed with me 2 turns ago, and holy poo poo fighting them with remotely even odds sucks rear end.
I'm trying out a Kemmler campaign for the first time and I have the same question. I am guessing lots of Cairn Wraiths and Hexwraiths.

I have been told that Wind of Death still bowling balls them despite their innate magic resistance so I may attack the Karak near Kemmler once I have that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You either want a big monster like Vargulfs that the dwarves can't scratch while it bats them around, or to bring enough skeletons and graveguard that the dwarves hit their pre-set kill limit and run out of ammo and get fatigued for your lords to come in.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Tie up their backline quarrellers with bats, use anti armor magic, try to surround their lines, and bring an extra stack of garbage skeletons and zombies to tar pit them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm trying out a Kemmler campaign for the first time and I have the same question. I am guessing lots of Cairn Wraiths and Hexwraiths.

I have been told that Wind of Death still bowling balls them despite their innate magic resistance so I may attack the Karak near Kemmler once I have that.

Hexwraiths and cairn wraiths both do magic damage so will do a lot less than you think they should. Wind of death still murders them. It's been awhile since I did VC vs dwarves but I remember Vargulfs doing fairly well to disrupt things enough that Graveguard could close to melee. And I love Vargheists in general. The problem is those are all fairly high tier compared to hit bog standard dwarf warriors and quarellers, so wearing them all down with a stack of expendable skeletons might help keep costs down. Using anti-armor spells help your skeletons do something in that matchup too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played VC since game one but I remember cairn wraiths didn't seem very effective against targets they were supposed to be meant flour. I made an all ghost army and threw it against chaos warriors and lost handily. They might be better now, of course.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Hexwraiths and cairn wraiths both do magic damage so will do a lot less than you think they should. Wind of death still murders them. It's been awhile since I did VC vs dwarves but I remember Vargulfs doing fairly well to disrupt things enough that Graveguard could close to melee. And I love Vargheists in general. The problem is those are all fairly high tier compared to hit bog standard dwarf warriors and quarellers, so wearing them all down with a stack of expendable skeletons might help keep costs down. Using anti-armor spells help your skeletons do something in that matchup too.
Derp, yeah, should have realize that before. Thank you, you probably just saved me a bit of a headache.

So uh, I guess stiffening a line of skeletons with some Crypt Horrors are, since they have AP, Poison, and do not do magic damage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 12, 2020

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Derp, yeah, should have realize that before. Thank you, you probably just saved me a bit of a headache.

So uh, I guess stiffening a line of skeletons with some Crypt Horrors are, since they have AP, Poison, and do not do magic damage.

Cav is a big help, while it can be situational shock cav will do nasty damage to most dwarf units so Black Knights w/ Lances and Blood Knights are really really useful once you can afford / build them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
varghulfs are your best unit as vampire counts, combined with vampire hero rush and 3 winds of death. the battles are really vicious and fun.

crypt horrors die really fast, as do vargheists and terrorsnek

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A battle with 2,700 casualties caused a Grave Marker or whatever it is called that means VC (either type of VC :v:) can recruit more/better units there. Later, a battle with 3,500 casualties happened in the same settlement, but I do not see an update to the Grave marker - anyone know if it will contribute to the quality of units that will eventually show up?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cav is a big help, while it can be situational shock cav will do nasty damage to most dwarf units so Black Knights w/ Lances and Blood Knights are really really useful once you can afford / build them.
I disagree because shock cav do not do much against normal enemies; charging Dwarfs, even in the rear when they are tarpitted, will not do much because no AP and Dwarf units have a high weight.

Ammanas posted:

crypt horrors die really fast, as do vargheists and terrorsnek
This has not been my experience at all playing 100+ turn VH vanilla games as both Manny and Vladdy.
edit: though I must admit both are squishy, yes, but if used right they are great additions to your army.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's boring, but GWGG with heals are a safe bet solely because the enemy usually doesn't bring as much AP as a human player.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I disagree because shock cav do not do much against normal enemies; charging Dwarfs, even in the rear when they are tarpitted, will not do much because no AP and Dwarf units have a high weight.

Totally cool if your experience is different than mine, have you tried it though? Shock cav has AP and the weight thing is mainly for units getting tossed around, you can still slaughter them even if they don't ragdoll. Blood knights will delete anything short of ironbreakers and black knights with lances can flank around and wreck their arty / missile units while still doing just fine if they get caught by melee units.

[edit]Also charge bonus gets added to melee attack and half of it gets added to normal damage and the other to AP. This lasts 13 seconds and ticks down linearly so you probably want to cycle every ~10 seconds. The J key can help there too.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 12, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A battle with 2,700 casualties caused a Grave Marker or whatever it is called that means VC (either type of VC :v:) can recruit more/better units there. Later, a battle with 3,500 casualties happened in the same settlement, but I do not see an update to the Grave marker - anyone know if it will contribute to the quality of units that will eventually show up?

This has not been my experience at all playing 100+ turn VH vanilla games as both Manny and Vladdy.
edit: though I must admit both are squishy, yes, but if used right they are great additions to your army.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of shock cav, but also the dwarves not getting knocked away will end up making them take more damage on the charge.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there still an instant quest battles mod

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

StashAugustine posted:

Is there still an instant quest battles mod

Yah. Two versions. One gives the item and one skips everything that isn't a battle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I didn't find the instant quest battle updated for the current build, just instant item. A bit of a shame but honestly I hate having to do the quest chains, especially if you're loving around with the start anywhere mod.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Third World Reagan posted:

Yah. Two versions. One gives the item and one skips everything that isn't a battle.

Crysnos right? I have it but it bugged out and didn't give Repanse the quest for the sword afaik

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

StashAugustine posted:

Crysnos right? I have it but it bugged out and didn't give Repanse the quest for the sword afaik

Those are them.

And yah it looks like they haven't been updated for a bit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

tiqtaqto is very fun but it does feel kind of like cheating that the AI is too dumb to move their guys out from under your skink airforce.

it's nice not to have to do sieges the hard way though

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

StashAugustine posted:

They work fine for any of the lords who were released before its last update, so Repanse, Malus and Sniktch are out of luck for now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Azran posted:

They work fine for any of the lords who were released before its last update, so Repanse, Malus and Sniktch are out of luck for now.

Fortunately, quest requirements have gotten easier and less annoying as time has gone on.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know, despite being the most overpowered faction in single-player, it still feels great being able to dunk on these loving Wood Elves as Skryre. Eat lead, tree-huggers.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The Vamps are all about magic, lore of vampires is the best lore of magic and it's not close, lean heavily into that. You want to set your army up (real tight formations, like real tight, overlapping is ugly but best, going wide is bad) so that any enemy has to bunch and blob as much as possible for awesome Winds of Death shenanigans. Vargheists and Terrorgeists are your friends in the sky that are needed for sieges, both destroy mobs on walls easily, Varghulfs and Blood Knights are fun, but not really necessary. Grave Guard if you have the luxury but skeleton lines are absolutely fine and free and easily replaceable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

toasterwarrior posted:

You know, despite being the most overpowered faction in single-player, it still feels great being able to dunk on these loving Wood Elves as Skryre. Eat lead, tree-huggers.

honestly i am glad they are overpowered in singleplayer. it would suck to have a faction with post-ww2 technology be shittier than guys with bows.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That's kinda like saying Skaven uses slings though.

Also something something dragons

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Battle markers don't appear based on total casualties alone. There are some other conditions that need to be met. I can't remember them exactly, but it's something like each side needs to have a certain number of units and each side needs to have a certain amount of casualties, and iirc this is based on the main stacks alone and not reinforcing stacks. So deliberately sending 4k skeletons on a suicide mission doesn't guarantee a battle marker if the opposing side doesn't also meet the requirements. If you do meet the requirements, you can add on to a previous marker in the region though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In the end it turns out that the most powerful weapon in this mixer world is the simple Boulder, dropped by the humble, noble pterodactyl.

Same with the flame Phoenix. I don’t know what kind of stupid poo poo the ice phoenix gets, but the fire Phoenix is like a B2 bomber.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

In the end it turns out that the most powerful weapon in this mixer world is the simple Boulder, dropped by the humble, noble pterodactyl.

Same with the flame Phoenix. I don’t know what kind of stupid poo poo the ice phoenix gets, but the fire Phoenix is like a B2 bomber.

The ice phoenix passively debuffs enemies around it and is roughly 100x more durable than the fire one. They're both good units with different roles.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Theswarms posted:

Haha jesus, I never actually tested it and just assumed it was a silly nag mechanic. Thanks for pointing this out.

quote:

The author is deep into Anno 1800 right now, no clue when or if it will get updated. I'm going to download the Assembly Kit this week and see how difficult it would be to update it. Some of the quest requirements for older factions are just nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Totally cool if your experience is different than mine, have you tried it though? Shock cav has AP and the weight thing is mainly for units getting tossed around, you can still slaughter them even if they don't ragdoll. Blood knights will delete anything short of ironbreakers and black knights with lances can flank around and wreck their arty / missile units while still doing just fine if they get caught by melee units.

[edit]Also charge bonus gets added to melee attack and half of it gets added to normal damage and the other to AP. This lasts 13 seconds and ticks down linearly so you probably want to cycle every ~10 seconds. The J key can help there too.
Right but my question was about dealing with the early-game target Dwarfs in Karak Ziflin as Kemmler. It takes a good 60-70 turns to get Blood Knights from a recruitment building, and probably almost as long for a Battle Site to cook to have top-tier units, and it will have to be a massive battle site for it to even be possible for BLood Knights to show up in it. Lesser VCount Heavy Cav are not nearly as good as Blood Knights and still take a while to get.

yikes! posted:

I strongly disagree with your assessment of shock cav, but also the dwarves not getting knocked away will end up making them take more damage on the charge.
I hate it when you are right, Senor Dog - regarding your first point, yes that is a bad take on my part but I think we can agree that Heavy Cav are under-tuned in Total War Siege: Warhammer compared to, say, Three Kingdoms. You pretty much need special circumstances for Heavy Cav to be good and it takes 30-40 turns just to get good heavy cav.
Regarding your second point - :hmmyes:

ps I dont actually hate it when you are right

Vargs posted:

Battle markers don't appear based on total casualties alone. There are some other conditions that need to be met. I can't remember them exactly, but it's something like each side needs to have a certain number of units and each side needs to have a certain amount of casualties, and iirc this is based on the main stacks alone and not reinforcing stacks. So deliberately sending 4k skeletons on a suicide mission doesn't guarantee a battle marker if the opposing side doesn't also meet the requirements. If you do meet the requirements, you can add on to a previous marker in the region though.
Ahhh, interesting, I am so glad I asked. This definitely explains why a battle between two armies did not cause a site to appear. Thank you.