Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think the thing that stands out most about Okada to me is just his timing. Like real simple stuff, but from when to hit his moves to his kickouts he can make rather ordinary things seem really dramatic and engaging. He's convinced me it's over on more near falls than anyone else and he can still make the dropkick he does every match a genuine surprise when he has to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

has alberto el patron ever had a great match?

Looking at his WON ratings, his best rated matches are multimans, ladder matches and assorted gimmick matches, and Rumbles, with his highest rated straight singles match being the Edge match at Mania 27, which got 3.5 stars.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vince obviously only hired Alberto because he was tall.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Alberto's enzuigiri was a thing of absolute art, but despite what WWE2K15 told me, you can't just make a match off nothing but enzuigiris.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l0X3sAKUY

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If nothing else, Berto was really good at facial expressions. That time he was about to clock Edge with a guitar, was all :haw: and then suddenly :mad: when he nailed him was pretty great

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I think the only Del Rio match people still talk about is the Del Rio/Ziggler double turn match.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I think the only Del Rio match people still talk about is the Del Rio/Ziggler double turn match.

That was a really good match. Del rio was brutal

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It was beautiful. Del Rio's facial expression as the crowd turned on him was like "lol gently caress you guys, I'm still gonna win" and he kicked Ziggler's concussed head in.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

If I remember right, that match was right around when I first started watching WWE and wrestling as a whole, and boy did it mislead me as to the quality of what I was gonna be watching for the next few years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I loved Del Rio's theme and I like his finish.

That's about all I like about him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I loved Del Rio's theme and I like his finish.

That's about all I like about him.

The goofy rear end double stomp spot that looks bad when even talented juniors do it and looked worse and more fake every time ADR did?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

The goofy rear end double stomp spot that looks bad when even talented juniors do it and looked worse and more fake every time ADR did?

No, the armbreaker thing where he applies it from a rolling standing position

I agree the stomp usually looked bad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The stomp was awful. It was a lovely "recipient holds themselves in an awkward, completely useless position for no reason other than to get hit" move.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Watching OSW Review episodes and why the hell was Earl Hebner considered such an amazing referee? He's constantly trying to get himself over. He physically interferes with wrestlers like kicking their hands off ropes and such, he ruins iconic camera shots like Razor with the two IC belts at the top of the ladder at Wrestlemania X, he has that telegraphed slow count when it's actually the finish of the match, etc.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching OSW Review episodes and why the hell was Earl Hebner considered such an amazing referee? He's constantly trying to get himself over. He physically interferes with wrestlers like kicking their hands off ropes and such, he ruins iconic camera shots like Razor with the two IC belts at the top of the ladder at Wrestlemania X, he has that telegraphed slow count when it's actually the finish of the match, etc.

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's not. He's largely seen in the industry as a lying, backstabbing, thieving piece of poo poo by wrestlers and promoters alike.

As posted above though, he was THE referee in WWF/WWE, back when referees actually had names and were often part of storylines.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The best referee is Mike Chioda because he's consistently good at his job, rarely if ever fucks up (that I can remember, at least), and is a background player not taking any spotlight for himself.

Plus, he was the first ref I saw throw up the devil horns to signal for a 2-count and I always loved that.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Dell_Zincht posted:

He's not. He's largely seen in the industry as a lying, backstabbing, thieving piece of poo poo by wrestlers and promoters alike.

As posted above though, he was THE referee in WWF/WWE, back when referees actually had names and were often part of storylines.
I watched the Bret Hart documentary about the year leading up to the Montreal Screw Job and Bret talking about trusting him not to let any funny business go down was a notable gut punch. gently caress Hebner.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree that Del Rio's flying armbar was extremely good but in general he was just okay.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

He even had actual matches with Nick Patrick during the Invasion. poo poo was shameful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure Earl Hebner is particularly lionized so much as he's just one of the few refs whose name we remember, and that's mostly Montreal. Just like Nick Patrick is mostly known for being the nWo heel ref.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It still blows my mind that WWE saw some broke-rear end TV show make Alberto white-hot and they didn't follow in that path. MexAmerica was just throwing money into a loving incinerator.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Shine posted:

The stomp was awful. It was a lovely "recipient holds themselves in an awkward, completely useless position for no reason other than to get hit" move.

Every Mexican has to do that move, I guess. I hate that move

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Karl Ontario posted:

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

aubrey is cool but if you want an invisible ref she does not do that. honestly i did not mind earl back in the day, but he is too slow now

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

oh but seriously I posted:

aubrey is cool but if you want an invisible ref she does not do that. honestly i did not mind earl back in the day, but he is too slow now

Aubrey's only visible when she needs to be, her body language is easy to read, and she presents as an authority. She's a very good ref and not every ref has to be invisible by default. Tommy Young sure wasn't.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It still blows my mind that WWE saw some broke-rear end TV show make Alberto white-hot and they didn't follow in that path. MexAmerica was just throwing money into a loving incinerator.

Milking the American public for dumb patriotism is a classic WWE move.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Aubrey is proof that refs can genuinely help tell matches instead of being interchangeable nobodies and that's a very good thing

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Red Shoes and Marty Asami, heck even that new ref (who botched one of the counts in the WK14 tag gauntlet) is okay

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

I like Red Shoes and Marty Asami, heck even that new ref (who botched one of the counts in the WK14 tag gauntlet) is okay

Red Shoes is just ok, imo he tends to distract from the match more often than not. Though God gauging the fan reaction before Night 2 of Okada/Naito was bizarre, unexpected, and a nice weird touch.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Who was that ref in TNA again, the one with the baggy shorts and chuck taylors?

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

super macho dude posted:

Red Shoes is just ok, imo he tends to distract from the match more often than not.
If you read his diaries you'd know how great he is.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

FunMerrania posted:

Who was that ref in TNA again, the one with the baggy shorts and chuck taylors?

Slick Johnson?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Numero6 posted:

Slick Johnson?

Yep, that was the guy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Aubrey is proof that refs can genuinely help tell matches instead of being interchangeable nobodies and that's a very good thing

Nikkan Lee is really good at injecting emotion into the matches she referees with subtle facial expressions. Shuji Ishikawa vs. The Bodyguard from Champion Carnival a few years back where Bodyguard was injured told a really good story for a three minute match where the whole story was told by Bodyguard limping to the ring, Lee's facial expressions and a resigned Shuji squashing him.

She's a huge contrast from AJPW's other ref Kyohei Wada who is very much a "character" referee, and there's only so many times you can see him pulling Kento's hair and yelling in his face. (He was a perfect choice for the first Taichi/Naito match where his bullshit fit their bullshit though)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Aubrey Edwards does have a consistent "character", she's more active and catches more of the heel's poo poo than most refs do, and isn't afraid to get in their face about it, and is often present in pull-aparts and such. It makes sense for her to be the "big match" ref because she's a lay-down-the-law type.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

El Hijo del Tirantes (AAA swole ref) is a lot of fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hebner was embarrassingly hammy but at least he didn't SELL MOVES for whatever reason like Slick Johnson did. Like, someone would get whipped into the turnbuckle and Slick would hold his back in faux-pain on the other side of the ring. He did it in both WCW and TNA!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't agree with the idea that a ref should never ever be visible in a match. It's that kind of mentality that leads to WWE doing the same thing with all their backstage interviewers and commentary teams and eventually wrestlers. Just be as generic and flat as possible because YOU aren't supposed to get over, the BRAND is what's over. Obviously there's plenty of examples of refs as characters being done poorly or too frequently or whatever but I think it's just as valid a narrative device as any other thing WWE/WCW/TNA drove into the ground and soured everybody on, like heel authority figures or a hotshot title change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Red Shoes v. Bullet Club is an ongoing storyline that has never failed to entertain me.