Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Probably both, it's not like Joe Smith made up anything coherent, and when people were looking for reasons not to treat black people like people they'd grab any straw they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elfface posted:

Probably both, it's not like Joe Smith made up anything coherent, and when people were looking for reasons not to treat black people like people they'd grab any straw they could.

If they didn't want to be black they should have just prayed harder.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gentleman Owl posted:

In fairness, this is cribbing from D&D like a lot of RPGs do; Forgotten Realms has used "subrace of elves and all their descendants are cursed with dark skin for unforgivable sins" as their explanation for Drow since the late 80's (the first Drizz't book was released in 1990). I would posit it's also cribbing from period anime to show "dark skin" as "brown skin", e.g. Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War (which cribbed from D&D among other games).

(and D&D cribbed from Tolkein (Moriquendi as "dark elves" in this case), who cribbed from the Prose Edda (Dökkálfar))

I'm slowly bouncing off Epic 7 due to slow release of content and staring into an endless grind of despair, so I've started on Another Eden today. Still in the tutorial area, but I'm digging the style so far.

Yeah, but Drow are light osbidian black skin, which is at least fantastical.

These Dark Elves are Beyonce colored. Like straight up light skin brown people.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
I want to believe that the dark in dark elves is metaphorical and that it's actually their red eyes that are the physical sign of their hereditary sin

Like their old tribe shows up and they're dark skinned with brown eyes or whatever

There's probably some dialogue I missed that explicitly says it's their skin color though

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Thundercracker posted:

Me: This Another Eden is pretty great. Let me extoll this to the goons.

Another Eden: Dark elves and all their descendents are cursed with brown skin because their ancestors committed forgivable sins.

Me: Goddamit Japan.

I actually finally gave the game a shot after this discussion and its surprisingly good. I'm quite enjoying it, but I do wonder how bad the grind will become later in the game as I'm only at CH5 atm.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

CompeAnansi posted:

I actually finally gave the game a shot after this discussion and its surprisingly good. I'm quite enjoying it, but I do wonder how bad the grind will become later in the game as I'm only at CH5 atm.

I do quite dig how much effort they put into it. Every gacha character has a multi part quest line that fleshes them out as real characters.

But not gonna lie. The grind is real once you hit level 50 content. Both in terms of exp and items needed to rank up characters. Like a 3% quest reward for an upgrade book of which you need 10 of to upgrade the story character is considered generous.

My two tips are to do the side stories once they unlock for level scroll and use them generously on your main team.

And when grinding put Joker in reserves and bring him out with a fast character. He has an AOE attack on entry thats very strong. He and Morgana are very strong in general.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 7, 2020

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Thundercracker posted:

But not gonna lie. The grind is real once you hit level 50 content. Both in terms of exp and items needed to rank up characters. Like a 3% quest reward for an upgrade book of which you need 10 of to upgrade the story character is considered generous.

Ah ok, I'm only level 15 right now and I've been breezing through everything. A couple boss fights took thought but weren't too bad.

Thundercracker posted:

My two tips are to do the side stories once they unlock for level scroll and use them generously on your main team.

And when grinding put Joker in reserves and bring him out with a fast character. He has an AOE attack on entry thats very strong. He and Morgana are very strong in general.

How early should I do the persona 5 side stories? Can I do them now, or should I wait until I am higher level? Do my current units impact that decision?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CompeAnansi posted:

Ah ok, I'm only level 15 right now and I've been breezing through everything. A couple boss fights took thought but weren't too bad.

How early should I do the persona 5 side stories? Can I do them now, or should I wait until I am higher level? Do my current units impact that decision?

Try them as soon as you get access to them - if you feel like you're too weak, you can always come back to them later.

They have some interesting mechanics, like enemies having numerous weaknesses and resistances (especially to particular physical attacks), no random battles, and ambushing enemies from behind for an extra turn while they're stunned.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

CompeAnansi posted:

You can start now, but you need to beat Chapter 13 to recruit Joker and Morgana. Try to get there as soon as possible. You get two excellent 5 star characters which really smoothes the way for new players, especially free to players.

Also, as a tip for anyone who doesn't know which banner to pull: Pull on the Another Style banner. Almost all top ranked characters are Another Style versions of themselves

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Don't forget you can get an additional 10 Free Crystals once a day by going to the Shop where you buy them, and tapping on the top option.

Thundercracker posted:

Also, as a tip for anyone who doesn't know which banner to pull: Pull on the Another Style banner. Almost all top ranked characters are Another Style versions of themselves

I was wondering about that. Thanks!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any RPGs (paid or free) that work offline? I've got a transatlantic flight coming up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chas McGill posted:

Any RPGs (paid or free) that work offline? I've got a transatlantic flight coming up.

All the Squeenix ports work offline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also for Another Eden there's a daily free draw, not sure when that was added but it blends in with the paid draws so it's easy to miss. Probably gonna get junk, but pulls are pulls.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Also for Another Eden there's a daily free draw, not sure when that was added but it blends in with the paid draws so it's easy to miss. Probably gonna get junk, but pulls are pulls.

I thought it ended, because I couldn't find it yesterday or today. I did get a 5* out of it, though.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, but Drow are light osbidian black skin, which is at least fantastical.

These Dark Elves are Beyonce colored. Like straight up light skin brown people.

Yeah, which is why I included the commentary about where they cribbed from. Google "Pirotess" - that is the iconic "anime dark elf" and other media has followed suit since. As far as D&D goes not sure what's been rewritten since I fell off the D&D lore train after 3.5, but at least as of then Drow in FR were the descendants of the the Dark Elves (who were brown-skinned) and when Lloth failed a power play and got chucked out of the elvish pantheon they got cursed with pitch-black skin for having the wrong patron deity on their character sheets.

Anyway this is just me laying out an alternative explanation other than "oh Japan." There's plenty of other sins for Japan to answer for, I just think it's plausible they might get a pass on this one.

Actual Another Eden commentary:

Up to Chapter 11 now. I'm really digging this spiritual successor to the Chrono Trigger series. Unfortunately the daily free draws are over, ended on the 6th. I only managed one pull before they went away, but got Samora the cooking dwarf whose -fire res attack synergizes well with Aldo/Miyu at least. He's also got an actual bird's nest on top of his hat. :3:

Although the New Year's free draws/extra stones are over, the NA anniversary looks like it's at the end of the month. Gatcha games usually make a big deal out of their anniversaries, so maybe something nice is coming up soon.

I'm not sure if I want to throw actual money at the game just yet but the trip down memory lane has had made me smile almost continuously while I've been playing it, which is more than I can say for most gatcha.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I thought it ended, because I couldn't find it yesterday or today. I did get a 5* out of it, though.

Oh was it temporary? There's so much stuff to parse through.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gentleman Owl posted:

I'm not sure if I want to throw actual money at the game just yet but the trip down memory lane has had made me smile almost continuously while I've been playing it, which is more than I can say for most gatcha.

I think the only thing to spend money on is gems for gacha pulls. I wouldn't recommend it. It's impressive that we get a full RPG for free.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

My first 10 pull in Another Eden and I got Suzette + Mariel. I take it getting 2 x 5* is pretty lucky.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Inceltown posted:

My first 10 pull in Another Eden and I got Suzette + Mariel. I take it getting 2 x 5* is pretty lucky.

Yes it is. You should keep that account. They're both amazing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

CompeAnansi posted:

Yes it is. You should keep that account. They're both amazing.

When does your first 10 pull happen? I just started up and got to pick my first dude (Ciel).

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

After you've saved enough stones. Took me 3 - 4 days.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You can do it fairly quickly, people say it takes about an hour or so.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Another Eden: I finished the Persona 5 collab story a couple days ago, and (barring one instance of the translation turning to Google Translate for a few minutes) I want to give kudos to what's probably the most faithful collab I've seen in a gatcha. They took a surprising amount of care in making the collab actually feel like a blending of the two games rather than "collab characters just along for the ride" that you usually see. The bosses had a definite gimmick-mechanic Persona/SNES RPG feel to them, and changing the combat encounters to Persona's free bonus turn if you back attack was amazing. I've seen top-grossing games turn most collabs into thoughtless cash-grabs, so for AE to set the bar this high was a really pleasant surprise.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
What pulls should I be using if I'm looking for a healer better than Riica? I've done one ten pull and got a 5 star Nagi AS and 5 star Biaka. I've been using those two with Aldo and Riica. I have no other healing than a 3 star Prai (I assume he heals as he is a priest I havent actually checked his skills).

Or maybe theres another strategy I should be using instead of looking for healing? I'm fairly close to another 1k chronos stones for a 10 pull.

I'm currently at the point where I'm about to beat the tower of time if that makes a difference.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gentleman Owl posted:

(barring one instance of the translation turning to Google Translate for a few minutes)pleasant surprise.

Yeah, the villan showing up after the first dungeon to give his little speech was clearly where the translator ran out of time or submitted the wrong draft or something.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There are several healers currently available, though it's hard to Target them as the healer only banner just went away. But for 5*s you've got Mariel, Yuna, Myrus and Radica. And for 4*s there is Erina in addition to Prai as you have. A good suggestion is to run the Another Dungeons at the Space Rift, not only can you get better gear, but you can also get upgrade items for characters. This can let you take your 3.5*s to 4, I would recommend you do this for Riica. You can also increase the light and darkness of the story characters by running a specific dungeon for each character.

https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Another_Dungeon#List_of_Dungeons_.28Hard.29

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd like to play another Eden but the download always fails at 99.8% :(

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Don't download the full game apparently

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is another Eden actually good or is it just the gacha flavor of the month?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I had to turn off WiFi at like 95% to get it to finish. Not sure what that is, but it worked.
AE is like gacha lite I think. No pulls are necessary, and they never cycle things out, so there's no FOMO.

I play it once in awhile, but it's pretty time consuming.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So you know those ads where they show you having to pull pins out in the right order to save the princess or choose the right item to deal with some home disaster, only when you actually look at the game it's a match three or a creepy "dating" sim or something? Are there any games that actually have the puzzle gameplay those ads promise?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Len posted:

it kinda bobs up every couple months

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

It's basically a JRPG with more grinding than usual and a gachapon. It's pretty good as a mobile title. I treat it like an aimless rpg - sure, there's a plot and stuff but I basically start the game, do a bunch of side dungeons, get materials and such, maybe progress one of the side stories that have been added in patches, and maybe a sidequest.

I've also only done a single 10x pull close to when I started the game and have made my way through more than half the game with the characters I pulled from there (none of which were 5 stars either), so it's definitely not something where the gacha is required.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Len posted:

I wouldn't say its flavor of the month as the 1 year anniversary is coming up this month. But, if you enjoy Chrono Trigger-esque JRPGs, then it's worth trying out. It's PvE only and you can finish it by basically ignoring the gacha. There is a fair bit of grinding needed (like other JRPGs) without using the gacha, but it is totally possible to complete the game with the free units. You also get a fair bit of free gems (slowly) via achievements, so you'll get the pull on the gacha anyways as a f2p player.

Epic 7 is still my main game because my main phone game will always be a competitive PvP game. But Another Eden is a great side game. It's a lot more chill than a game like Epic 7.

Chas McGill posted:

There is a trick to this. What you do is you close out of the game, then when you reopen it you spam the 'help' button in the bottom left corner, then tap 'reacquire data'. Then it will proceed to download all over again, but this time there won't be an error at the end.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 12, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FredMSloniker posted:

So you know those ads where they show you having to pull pins out in the right order to save the princess or choose the right item to deal with some home disaster, only when you actually look at the game it's a match three or a creepy "dating" sim or something? Are there any games that actually have the puzzle gameplay those ads promise?

The only kind I've found that are accurate are the block breaker ones (launch multiple balls, and hit blocks based on the numbers written on them, like Breakout on speed), or that Sand one, where you guide the balls through sand.

The latter is incredibly satisfying, but holy poo poo, the ads are abundant.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

CompeAnansi posted:

There is a trick to this. What you do is you close out of the game, then when you reopen it you spam the 'help' button in the bottom left corner, then tap 'reacquire data'. Then it will proceed to download all over again, but this time there won't be an error at the end.

Thanks, this worked.

The music in this game is fantastic.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I really really want to play Civ 6 on my weekly commute but I have a Galaxy Note 10+ and it appears the genuine article is only ported to ios :mad:

Is running an ios emulator to play it an idiot idea? Are my options essentially play a clone or buy an ipad?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I really really want to play Civ 6 on my weekly commute but I have a Galaxy Note 10+ and it appears the genuine article is only ported to ios :mad:

Is running an ios emulator to play it an idiot idea? Are my options essentially play a clone or buy an ipad?

Buying a Switch is cheaper than an iPad and you also don't have to deal with iOS

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Len posted:

Buying a Switch is cheaper than an iPad and you also don't have to deal with iOS

This is an excellent point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is an excellent point.

Plus then you get all the fantastic games on the Switch and not just Civ

I personally think the Switch Lite is a bad waste of money though and would suggest springing for the red box full model Switch