Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao how do you read "national endowment for democracy" and have CIA sirens going off in your brain

quote:

In the FAQs on its site, NED acknowledges its ongoing relationship with lawmakers, saying that its "continued funding is dependent on the continued support of the White House and Congress." Those who spearheaded creation of NED have long acknowledged it was part of an effort to move from covert to overt efforts to foster democracy. President Reagan said in 1983 that "this program will not be hidden in the shadows. It will stand proudly in the spotlight, and that's where it belongs." Allen Weinstein, a former acting president of NED and one of the authors of the study that led to its creation, told David Ignatius in a 1991 interview that: "A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA. The biggest difference is that when such activities are done overtly, the flap potential is close to zero. Openness is its own protection."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

other important context to note is that william blum records through the cold war a long pattern of the cia covertly funding and staffing media outlets pushing the state department line throughout the entire world who nominally bill themselves as independent

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao how do you read "national endowment for democracy" and have CIA sirens going off in your brain
https://williamblum.org/chapters/rogue-state/trojan-horse-the-national-endowment-for-democracy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

His operation is fueled by imperialist blood money, and he's training up an entire generation of western journalists to do the same exact kind of "remote investigations" he made his bank on. He's one of the most vile and corrosive influences on the western mediascape, and the fact he hasn't been perma'd yet is an indictment of the forums.

this requires repeating, as if you think the wonks of today are awful, wait until you have to suffer through the remote viewing practices of the next generation's new graduates

wait until it's office policy at Foreign Policy to cast literal oracle bones for the day's headlines

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
turns out politics is posting, when its for the status quo lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao i am so sorry, there was a "not" missing from my first post. of course the NED is CIA

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's cool and i figured. now we got a link lurkers can look at to see the allegations about the NED if they are unfamiliar with them

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
very excited to start my new job funded by the Diplomatic Institution for Providing Salient History In Tehran

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Victory Position posted:

this requires repeating, as if you think the wonks of today are awful, wait until you have to suffer through the remote viewing practices of the next generation's new graduates

wait until it's office policy at Foreign Policy to cast literal oracle bones for the day's headlines

look if you know a better way to determine ba'al hamon's will i'm all ears

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/06/15/the-neds-useful-idiots/

quote:

On Friday, June 8, MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow augmented her nightly Russiagate fetish by extolling the merits of the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), telling her huge audience that the NED, created in the 1980s by the Ronald Reagan administration, still does the “non-partisan hard work around the world, of promoting small D democracy and promoting the institutions of civil society that any culture needs in order to have a functioning democracy.”
lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao she's such a shill at the end of the day for US and corporate interests.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i wonder if hillary is proud of her work in libya
i suspect the question has the same answer as whether or not kissinger is proud of his work in SEA

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also let me phrase this another way

if brown moses was doing his internet journalism with the same quality and content as currently, but he was doing it with laser focus on the crimes and problems of the united states and its allies, he would not be funded by the NED

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

the NED, created in the 1980s by the Ronald Reagan administration

lmfao

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

getting incredibly mad online that the truth was exposed. if only iran didnt admit they shot down the plane we all could have anti-imperalistily continued to write fantasies about cia plots on our blogs

don't write it down in the paper that im mad at the truth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
why would the Iran thing stop us from writing about cia plots

that’s literally all the US does in the ME and SA

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, everything is about power politics, including the latest forum meltdown. SA is just a bit weird because unlike most of the internet it seems to be an open battleground where neither side seems to have an advantage.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

lol if you think the investigative pressures of bellingcat made Iran admit they shot down the plane

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol how bellingcat is training even more people how to follow his half-rear end technically inept way to journalistic investigation.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I think Iran admitted they shot down the plane because it was the right thing to do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cda posted:

I think Iran admitted they shot down the plane because it was the right thing to do.

they just wanted to the taunt the US with another western failed coup attempt.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the impeccable internet investigative reporting on mh17 made iran buckle in fear and capitulate immediately imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

lol how bellingcat is training even more people how to follow his half-rear end technically inept way to journalistic investigation.

this makes sense in the context of BM also having been taught by other people on how to do his "geolocation" and weapons identification techniques and he was just used as a way to launder the information through what would look like an organic, citizen-journalism drip-feed

he's just passing it on further

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Here's how the conversation probably went.

Iran King or whatever they have: Did we shoot down the plane?

Other Iran guy: We don't know.

IK: Find out for me, will ya?

(Three days pass)

OIG: Yeah, we did it.

IK: Ok, let's tell everyone. Better to admit our mistakes than try to play politics with the lives of Innocents.

OIG: Ok. Sounds good.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

excited to see swarms of internet journalists descending upon academic publishers to tell them to censor papers that don't toe the state dept line

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iran used to have a king called the shah and they dont have a king anymore

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
iran king is what the cspam IKs should be called

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

now to be fair, the nominally elected translated honorific title SUPREME LEADER does sound dystopian

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

swimsuit posted:

iran king is what the cspam IKs should be called

Idiots Knew

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

The Iraqi government went from allied to hostile, and the Mahdi Army is back and allied with Iran. Outside Iraq, Hezbollah has declared that its cold war with the US will go hot, and there'll be one of the traditional, spectacular Iranian revenge attacks coming down the pipeline in a few months or years. None of that is great for America.

Hezbollah literally says they're TOTALLY ABOUT TO GO TO WAR with the US or Israel all the time. It's nothing more that a fundraising pitch now that they're begging for scraps at this point. The Iraqi government isn't going to do poo poo, they literally made their "expulsion of American troops" legislation nonbinding because once American forces are gone the Iraqi middle classes know they're done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ksadjadpour/status/1216333114340974592

quote:

Senior Fellow @CarnegieEndow
; Currently writing a book for @AAKnopf
; Adjunct professor @Georgetown
; Former YGL [World Economic Forum]
; Board member [Iran Human Rights.org]

lol we got a talking point

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Chuka Umana posted:

Hezbollah literally says they're TOTALLY ABOUT TO GO TO WAR with the US or Israel all the time. It's nothing more that a fundraising pitch now that they're begging for scraps at this point. The Iraqi government isn't going to do poo poo, they literally made their "expulsion of American troops" legislation nonbinding because once American forces are gone the Iraqi middle classes know they're done.

You know there's a lot of really stupid analysis like this about how Sunnis don't want the Americans to leave because US soldiers are the only thing between them and Shia dictatorship - even though American forces didn't do anything to stop the government from barrel bombing Fallujah, cutting off utilities and massacring protesters, which all precipitated ISIS.

The idea that the United States is doing anything meaningful to keep the lid on Iraq is absolute nonsense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder that you should not trust a thing belingcat has to say and anyone who works for them is highly compromised

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1214663142828937216

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Didn’t this guy do “it could happen here” ?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Centrist Committee posted:

yup lol

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
i'm rewatching Hypernormalization, and it's hitting me hard how absurd the concept is that if the English speaking world was everyday was occupied by Arab soldiers on their streets, and at the mercy of seemingly random explosions from the sky that could or have killed everyone they love, that many of them wouldn't be so traumatized by the situation that they would desperately hope to violently inflict some small scratch on the foreigners keeping them under heel. even without being told to by their sectarian religious leaders

but everyone right of shitliberal in america seemingly thinks that these people should have absolutely zero national pride, or even respect for the lives suddenly snatched away by a dispassionate looming empire. they have no right to fight back against anything ever, because american influence is actually what's good for them, even though it's driven people so unhinged that they become suicide bombers

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1216317550478405633?s=20

Seems like these protests are the real deal.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That whole flag on the ground thing is so interesting.

Also I mostly lurk this thread but thanks to the posters who explain things like the BM situation.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

in which he predicted beto o rourke or kamala harris would win the 2020 election and trigger rural reactionaries into blowing up californian highways and cutting off the global supply of pecan nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

gh0stpinballa posted:

in which he predicted beto o rourke or kamala harris would win the 2020 election and trigger rural reactionaries into blowing up californian highways and cutting off the global supply of pecan nuts

Still can't stop literally lmaoing at how brainshatteringly wrong that prediction was, but chances are good that'll happen if Bernie wins 2020

Watcher Bernie start loving white genocide in response :d2a: