Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

The only real example I can think of is Gary Hart, who just barely lost the 1984 primary, then was the front-runner for 1988 until he got caught cheating on his wife.

LMAO the Monkey Business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

the manufactured birth and existence of the TEA party movement (acronym for Taxed Enough Already) marketed and promoted heavily, mostly by fox news, as if it was a grassroots political movement consisting of republican poors that just so happened to organize themselves to be the champions of the economic 2% millionaire republicans who hate paying taxes

the very name itself playing up a thing that happened in history (the Boston tea party) with none of the context or sense of irony-- once inspiring Michelle Bachmann to say out loud something along the lines of "If you think the Founding Fathers were upset about taxation without representation, imagine what they'd say about taxation WITH representation"

Eleanor Pwnsevelt has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Jan 11, 2020

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
on that note, Michelle Bachmann in general.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

on that note, Michelle Bachmann in general.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sleep with the vicious posted:

when adam friedland from cum town owned chelsea clinton on twitter

it was the other way around

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
nah

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

the birth and existence of the TEA party movement (acronym for Taxed Enough Already) marketed and promoted heavily, mostly by fox news, as if it was a grassroots political movement consisting of republican poors that just so happened to organize themselves to be the champions of the economic 2% millionaire republicans who hate paying taxes

the very name itself playing up a thing that happened in history (the Boston tea party) with none of the context or sense of irony-- once inspiring Michelle Bachmann to say out loud something along the lines of "If you think the Founding Fathers were upset about taxation without representation, imagine what they'd say about taxation WITH representation"

Just remembered they called themselves Teabaggers for a week or two until someone told them what that word actually meant lol

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

it was the other way around

she gets owned so often, I like to think she deserved a win

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Milo and POTUS posted:

"wow, it's really annoying when it's someone else"

China invaded Vietnam 5 years after the US left and got their asses kicked

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

In support of pol pot right lol?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

MikeCrotch posted:

from what I’m told, if you ask anybody in Vietnam about ‘the war’ they’ll think you’re talking about this

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Eat the ice cream, have the french fry, don't buy the street drug

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Many, many fries

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/2p2TrollCat/status/351121282689024000

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

paul_soccer12 posted:

In support of pol pot right lol?

yeah. Who was also supported by the USA lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.propublica.org/datastore/dataset/irs-audit-rates-by-county

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/eitc-audit

tl;dr the IRS mostly audits poor black communities along the Mississippi

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

wasn't there something relatively recently where the IRS was like "yeah it's not worth it for us to go after rich people just FYI"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

wasn't there something relatively recently where the IRS was like "yeah it's not worth it for us to go after rich people just FYI"

Yup.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Will the RW start sucking off the IRS now

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thin Green Line

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Smirking_Serpent posted:

They're also mandated by law to allocate a bunch of their audits to lower income brackets thanks to Gingrich.

Used to be they'd mostly audit the rich b/c that's where all the money actually is and Gingrich was pissed off, but the rich have gotten better at defending themselves so the formal incentive to attack the poor has become redundant.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Will the RW start sucking off the IRS now

The IRS, a longstanding bastion of american freedom, should be made an independent organization with a board made up of finance industry executives. You know, to prevent political corruption.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

got ‘em

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
that was al capone's vault level

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Paul Ryan. Just like, in general

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Keith Olbermann

All of it

he actually called his youtube rant show #TheResistance

and then he published a book collection of them in written form

he regularly cited @truefactsstated and louise mensch as credible sources for russiagate revelations

edit: oh and then he hosed off forever like Poochie with the rationale that "his goal of seeing trump removed from office was done*" *was inevitable

imagine going into someone's house and seeing that hardcover on the coffee table. you open it to a random page and it's just "MR. TRUMP, SIR, HAVE YOU NO SHAME"

Ross DaouThot has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Jan 12, 2020

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tinstaach posted:

Paul Ryan. Just like, in general

Eddie Munster looking mofo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Henry Kissinger has a nobel peace prize

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
during world war 1, rupert murdoch's dad tried to get the commander of the australian troops on the western front fired, because he was jewish

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
joe scarboroughs vanity record label is named "Low Energy Pundit"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

exmarx posted:

during world war 1, rupert murdoch's dad tried to get the commander of the australian troops on the western front fired, because he was jewish

And rupert's gonna do the same thing to our next president

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
mission accomplished

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

w

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

every time john oliver dropped a sick burn on Trump like calling him "Drumpf" and liberals acting like his entire career was done

and still calling him "Drumpf" after 4 years.
libs still unironically writing "tRump"

LastInLine posted:

I've always found it funny that libs never had the moment I had that night where it wasn't only that Hillary just lost to Donald loving Trump, but it was therefore obvious that she would've lost to literally anybody.

I mean everyone with a brain instantly realized that "Bernie would've won" but the corollary that any other republican would've also won is something that no one talks about but is completely obviously true.
practically nobody in the Democratic Party seems to understand the fact that campaigning is to drive people to vote instead of staying home rather than influencing mythical "swing voters" who are all literally Ken Bone.

also, The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer should be mandatory reading for anyone who wants to run with a (D) next to their name because you can't beat someone like trump without strategically hitting below the belt. playing dirty and doing things like suggesting that he won't release his tax returns because he's hiding the fact that he's not actually a billionaire and calling him a seventeen times accused rapist who threatened or paid off victims was the correct way to go.

of course, the real problem is that trump is exactly what people wanted

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

suggesting that he won't release his tax returns because he's hiding the fact that he's not actually a billionaire

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I buy it.

It was the one stipulation he had about his roast. No one is allowed to insinuate I'm not as rich as I say I am