Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Imagine how many people from this number is already dead. Their relatives would be looking for inheritance, savings and only thing they can find is a lousy email spam about some stupid 'game' that is not even released yet and will never be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Imagine how many people from this number is already dead. Their relatives would be looking for inheritance, savings and only thing they can find is a lousy email spam about some stupid 'game' that is not even released yet and will never be.

probably not a lot

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imagine how many of those are secondary or tertiary accounts or people who never gave CIG any money.

One of those is mine, and i never gave CIG a penny.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Inacio posted:

are there really? sounds cool

Yeah, there are: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/elite-dangerous

;)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I remember really enjoying the book of short stories that came with Elite Frontier back in the day. Seems like an easy setting to roleplay in.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Speaking of Elite Dangerous, isn't the next major update coming this year?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

AbstractNapper posted:

Yes. Paid for expansion in Q4.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

nooooooooooooo they can't do this it's not FAIR

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

How on Earth does that dude keep getting work?

He doesn't. The one-two of SC and star traders effectively mocked him into hiding. His fedora is no longer active.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 13, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
404 complete pages: Star Citizen not found

(It will be funnier when we reach 404 threads)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daztek posted:

probably not a lot

I tried to calculate it using 30 year old (younger and later joined backers are less likely to die, older and earlier joined backers are more likely to die than this "average") some time ago and based on US male mortality data, the original and/or older backers would have close to 3 % mortality rate by now (it doesn't look that way, but it adds up, in some cases it would be higher, but those are rarer outliers), while the new and/or young would be in tenth or two of percent. All in all, so far it seems it would be 1 - 2 % of people, conservatively speaking.

So 25 - 50 thousand people. I leave to your decision whether it's lot or not.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I tried to calculate it using 30 year old (younger and later joined backers are less likely to die, older and earlier joined backers are more likely to die than this "average") some time ago and based on US male mortality data, the original and/or older backers would have close to 3 % mortality rate by now (it doesn't look that way, but it adds up, in some cases it would be higher, but those are rarer outliers), while the new and/or young would be in tenth or two of percent. All in all, so far it seems it would be 1 - 2 % of people, conservatively speaking.

What if most of them are overweight, over 40 and live in a basement?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dooguk posted:

What if most of them are overweight, over 40 and live in a basement?

Then it would be more (obviously, duh), but based on shots of the most hardcore community (the scamlunch, CitCONs) where I'd expect a bigger-than-average percent of these people, I think they are on average within population normal distribution.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Just take a generic D&D like and swap dungeons to space and dragons to targoids aliens and you're set.

Then it would be more (obviously, duh), but based on shots of the most hardcore community (the scamlunch, CitCONs) where I'd expect a bigger-than-average percent of these people, I think they are on average within population normal distribution.

https://i.imgur.com/zSXePmY.jpg
Yeah I was thinking about general 1% mortality rate, which makes this around 25k but with adding secondary accounts its closer to 10k, but with many of these people being basement dwellers overweight 40+ with lots of disposable income we could still safely assume >25k. Sad.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 13, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just take a generic D&D like and swap dungeons to space and dragons to targoids aliens and you're set.

Or use generic RPG system (those that are designed to give you base system, but setting is up to you) like d20, FUDGE / Fate, GURPS or Interlock (or one of the dozens of other ones) and just craft your own Scam Bitizen universe with the ultimate baddie Rhris Coberts!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dooguk posted:

Yes. Paid for expansion in Q4.

Cool!

Inacio posted:

nooooooooooooo they can't do this it's not FAIR

lol

Game over man.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Or use generic RPG system (those that are designed to give you base system, but setting is up to you) like d20, FUDGE / Fate, GURPS or Interlock (or one of the dozens of other ones) and just craft your own Scam Bitizen universe with the ultimate baddie Rhris Coberts!

No-man no-bear Crobear, the wizard who stole all our gold!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Was it Ryan Archer that did the CP job of Jessica biel from stealth with Sandi's head, who then tried to convince everyone it was original work, who Sandi then carried around a cardboard cutout version of it for 2 months or was that someone else?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

As funny as it would be for Elite to do space legs in 2020 I still sorta don't buy it. It'd be cool if they did more with factions and story stuff though.

Traveller and Stars Without Number could be turned into an Elite or Star Citizen RPG pretty much just by crossing out the name on the box and writing a new name.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

As funny as it would be for Elite to do space legs in 2020 I still sorta don't buy it. It'd be cool if they did more with factions and story stuff though.

I still don't understand what's keeping Elite from adding more of a *point* to the game, for those of us that need some sort of external motivation to get moving.

Some sandbox games already do this, so it's not exactly uncharted territory. GTA5 has a considerable campaign that takes you through most of the available gameplay, but the sandbox mode still lets you do all that and more on your own time, at your own pace, and making your own goals. It doesn't have to be either/or, but for me the background radiation of "oh there's aliens, somewhere, and that means, something" isn't enough to make me start caring. Give me some kind of immediate, personal stake, and lead me into the larger picture over time.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

I still don't understand what's keeping Elite from adding more of a *point* to the game, for those of us that need some sort of external motivation to get moving.

Some sandbox games already do this, so it's not exactly uncharted territory. GTA5 has a considerable campaign that takes you through most of the available gameplay, but the sandbox mode still lets you do all that and more on your own time, at your own pace, and making your own goals. It doesn't have to be either/or, but for me the background radiation of "oh there's aliens, somewhere, and that means, something" isn't enough to make me start caring. Give me some kind of immediate, personal stake, and lead me into the larger picture over time.

I imagine that it's because it's difficult to do this on a galactic scale in a way that's enough for everyone. I am not sure where you end in GTA:O's tutorial (you can't really compare GTAV with Elite, because it's still single player vs multiplayer game), but in Elite you basically end as a pilot, who is already the top of the top in the Bubble.

And because the players have comparison of a story progress with stuff like HALO or Mass Effect (you save Earth/galaxy/universe single-handedly), basically any progress will be deemed too small, in my opinion.

Also in my opinion, this isn't an inherently bad thing - lots of Jp/Korean MMOs (I believe Western too, but not 100 % sure there) do stuff like "you are the saviour of the universe, here's your unique storyline" - which gets painfully old and obvious once you start your 16th character and see the same stuff for the 16th time, so you instead opt to avoid it by exploits and carrying friends in leveling, so they can progress as fast as possible to skip progress and play with friends instead.

If I could compare Elite with something, it'd be Runescape - they had quest chains (similar to current Incentives with chain of CGs) where you did some stuff (defeat enemies, solve puzzle, bring items) and you got some reward and a piece of story. There's not much you can add anyway without making it felt like it's forced onto the player - it's open world anyway.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

stingtwo posted:

Was it Ryan Archer that did the CP job of Jessica biel from stealth with Sandi's head, who then tried to convince everyone it was original work, who Sandi then carried around a cardboard cutout version of it for 2 months or was that someone else?

Yeah that was him, when he was working on the Star Traders board game:

When he got called out, David Ladyman swore up and down he had done all the artwork himself, and Archer posted a "step by step" version of how he drew it that made everyone laugh their asses off:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

When he got called out, David Ladyman swore up and down he had done all the artwork himself, and Archer posted a "step by step" version of how he drew it that made everyone laugh their asses off:

Holy poo poo :lol: I forgot about that, even his "step by step" was faked. I guess Ryan saw those old "learn to draw" magazine ads and figured he'd archer those too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Inacio posted:

are there really? sounds cool

Yeah, Stars Without Number is one of the better ones but Traveller was the first big one.

They're basically packed with tables that let the DM generate a planet, factions, cultures, etc. The players are a scrappy band of lowlifes with a ship and they choose where to go and what to do in the generated sandbox.

Stars Without Number also has a neat feature. Between sessions the DM pits various factions against each other and those wins/losses influence the game world. The actions of the PCs can aid/hinder factions as well, as they are often allies or enemies.

SWN is way more fun an imaginative than SC and theres even a free version.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/230009

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The best part of that cardboard cutout was it was featured in the background of some of their pre-recorded shows. So after Archergate and all the fallout it appeared again on another atv. Of course by that point you know it was stuffed into a dumpster behind their HQ while the show aired.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

"Hello CMDR Scruffpuff, we have an urgent mission for you. Head to the Pleiades star cluster to destroy a large wing of Thargoid vessels - our information says they're preparing to doxx you and your parents, using their new mysterious IMDBTweet technology. Don't worry: we've already called your parents and they love you very much. Good luck, CMDR. o8"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

"Hello CMDR Scruffpuff, we have an urgent mission for you. Head to the Pleiades star cluster to destroy a large wing of Thargoid vessels - our information says they're preparing to doxx you and your parents, using their new mysterious IMDBTweet technology. Don't worry: we've already called your parents and they love you very much. Good luck, CMDR. o8"

This is gripping stuff! Can't wait for the next installment!

However, surely before getting that you would need to deliver 50000 tons of landmines in the name of democracy!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
little rant. Giveaways are a loving pathetic way to garner attention for your terrible twitch or youtube channel. I thought this practice was something only weenie-boy Star Citizen streamers did but I guess it is everywhere now so good job jumping on that lame practice early and often sc fans.

Keep chasing that stupid trinket on a stick !raffle morons.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
!raffle

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah that was him, when he was working on the Star Traders board game:

I've been following this for years, yet there's always something more that I'm discovering about it.
And it's always bad. But funny.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beet Wagon posted:

(snipped lolartworkprocess)

Oh, that's the one I mentioned a few days ago in "Best Of", just couldn't find it or remember the artist name, silly me!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

I have no idea if this game is any good or not but that handbook cover is an atrocity. Unless it was some sort of on-purpose throwback to 80s rpg covers?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

Lack of competition is why FDev is delaying everything and not putting stuff out. Im drowning in Elite's lack of content atm and I love it. I guess I would just die of dehydration in front of my PC if everything that SC promised back with the initial kickstarter would be released all at once.

Beet Wagon posted:

How many times were they caught copying already? Five?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Virtual Captain posted:

little rant. Giveaways are a loving pathetic way to garner attention for your terrible twitch or youtube channel. I thought this practice was something only weenie-boy Star Citizen streamers did but I guess it is everywhere now so good job jumping on that lame practice early and often sc fans.

Keep chasing that stupid trinket on a stick !raffle morons.

I'll let you know I have won multiple free monthly subscriptions giving me access to super 1337 emotes!

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: always more, always worse, always funny

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How loving sleazy and stupid do you need to be to steal DnD art? It's a pretty popular IP and someone would be bound to recognize it.

Stealing art is wrong to begin with but at least be somewhat competent goddamn. These people can't even steal without loving it all up.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 13, 2020

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

How many times were they caught copying already? Five?
Someone here found the source in under 5 hours of it being posted

edit the copy paste jobs connected to SC is staggering.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 13, 2020

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Remember the Strike Vector concept art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

remember that guy who made some SERIOUSLY weird SC fanart

e: didnt he get featured by cig too