Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

H110Hawk posted:

Register for a Snoo, use it, and sell it afterwards for almost as much as they bought it for you. You'll thank me later. Or rent one with that money.

It was a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I just received a letter from my credit union saying "to show our appreciation, [credit union] has paid in full for you to receive $2,000 through Minnesota Life Insurance Company. You have no cost or obligation for this basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage." There's also the option to purchase additional coverage. I've read everything included and it doesn't seem there's any other charges or anything sketchy. Is this legit? I have no interest in purchasing further coverage, but is there any downside in taking the $2k?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It’s legit but it’s basically paid advertising to hope you purchase more. And you likely give up some privacy options.

To put it in perspective, my million dollar policy costs me $45 a month. $2,000 is equivalently 9 cents a month of that. So it’s cheap advertising really.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 11, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Loan Dusty Road posted:

To put it in perspective, my million dollar policy costs me $45 a month. $2,000 is equivalently 9 cents a month of that. So it’s cheap advertising really.

Do you actually pay that monthly? My term life costs 6% more if I do that.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

I couldn’t convince my wife to not register for our wedding. She’s convinced people want to buy you poo poo you’ll use a handful of times a year.

I guess I got some nice whiskey glasses out of it.

A handful of times a year is actually pretty decent compared to some wedding gifts.

We managed to avoid the dreaded fine china set, thank god.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

A handful of times a year is actually pretty decent compared to some wedding gifts.

We have three full sets of knives. I basically don't have to sharpen the ones I'm using. I just have to throw them out and open a new one :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never figured out how to throw away kitchen knives. Safely I mean.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Lol @ snoo havers.

A $1000 bassinet is the ultimate symbol of our time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I never figured out how to throw away kitchen knives. Safely I mean.

Just grind 'em blunt first.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Do you actually pay that monthly? My term life costs 6% more if I do that.

No, I pay annually for the same reason. It’s around $550 a year, but don’t tell :zaurg: that I budget for it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

My wife would just NOT listen to my arguments against asking for the china.

It's been in a closet in her mother's house since the day after the wedding.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Animal posted:

We have a baby coming any day now. We did the Amazon registry and found that you can actually return items without the gift giver knowing. Since my family is incapable of understanding the concept of saving and investing money for later, we put a few fancy and expensive items in there that they insisted they wanted to buy for us and would probably not give any gifts unless we agreed to receive those specific ones. We intend to return about $600 worth of dumb poo poo and toss that money into the 529.

Hi, this is great and I wish we did it

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Goons who do direct deposit into Vanguard - how long does it take for the deposit to hit your account?

I finally jumped through the hoops to get DD setup and the first attempt didn't work because I didn't realize you don't use your Vanguard account number as the "account number" for DD, you have to use the ambiguously named Direct Deposit ID that is generated when you set it up the first time. So I had to wait a week for my payroll department to say "hey you hosed up this" and send that part of my check to another account. Now this week, I thought I had it fixed, but it's Sunday and my Vanguard account still isn't showing the funds, so I'm guessing something didn't work again.

If this week fucks up I'll just change my DD back to my savings account, and setup a recurring transfer, but I really wanted the DD right to Vanguard to work for ~reasons~

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

what's the thread's feeling on LLC for investing purposes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

Goons who do direct deposit into Vanguard - how long does it take for the deposit to hit your account?

I finally jumped through the hoops to get DD setup and the first attempt didn't work because I didn't realize you don't use your Vanguard account number as the "account number" for DD, you have to use the ambiguously named Direct Deposit ID that is generated when you set it up the first time. So I had to wait a week for my payroll department to say "hey you hosed up this" and send that part of my check to another account. Now this week, I thought I had it fixed, but it's Sunday and my Vanguard account still isn't showing the funds, so I'm guessing something didn't work again.

If this week fucks up I'll just change my DD back to my savings account, and setup a recurring transfer, but I really wanted the DD right to Vanguard to work for ~reasons~

You should call Vanguard and ask. Fidelity has a complicated series of steps to generate your account number for ach (what you are calling "DD"). I took one look at that sheet and said eff this I will just have it go to my main account and deal with it from there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

what's the thread's feeling on LLC for investing purposes?

Why would you want to do that? Explain the problem you are trying to solve.

And please don't tell me you want to play investment advisor for your extended family wealth pool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Why would you want to do that? Explain the problem you are trying to solve.

And please don't tell me you want to play investment advisor for your extended family wealth pool.

No I think we should blindly agree here with the stipulation that we get to see it play out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

paternity suitor posted:

I have a DD into Vanguard taxable from my employer. It shows up in the "credits and debits" on payday, at the same time my paycheck DD hits my checking account. I can submit trades against it at that point. If I don't, it will turn into money market funds in a few days.

One thing worth knowing about here: you can set up automatic investments that basically act as periodic sweeps. If you put in a standing automatic buy for a million dollars from your settlement account to some target retirement or lifestrategy fund, it'll just use whatever is in your settlement account to make the largest possible buy when the automation runs. Apparently if it can't buy anything at all for three attempts in a row, the automated investment is cancelled - but if you just want your money to go straight from a paycheck to some mutual fund or ETF, without ever having to touch it yourself, it works nicely.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

You should call Vanguard and ask. Fidelity has a complicated series of steps to generate your account number for ach (what you are calling "DD"). I took one look at that sheet and said eff this I will just have it go to my main account and deal with it from there.

Fidelity has a button beside each account that says "routing number" that you click and it gives you the info. Its possibly the easiest it could be.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ranbo das posted:

Fidelity has a button beside each account that says "routing number" that you click and it gives you the info. Its possibly the easiest it could be.

This is true, but if you have checkwriting on your account the account number shown by this will be wrong. You have to go by the number on your checks

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ranbo das posted:

On which screen? From my "account positions" screen ( https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/oftop/portfolio#/positions ) control-f "rout" gives me 0 hits.

I just found it. You have to click the account itself, then on the resulting page ( https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/oftop/portfolio#/positions/12345678) you get the account and routing number. When I looked into this previously I went into their help to figure out what I needed to do and it was like "so if it's a brokerage account starting with a letter Y do this, X do that, no letter do this third thing" and I noped out of there. If they told me to go to this screen to find it I missed it. This screen where it exists I almost never go to, and even then not on purpose.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sab0921 posted:

Lol @ snoo havers.

A $1000 bassinet is the ultimate symbol of our time.

It was worth 5 times this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Serious questions out of curiosity, please don't take this as raaaargh childfree roooooar die breeders. My wife and I don't want kids for our own reasons. We do look forward to being the cool aunt and uncle when her sister starts popping them out.

1) Around how much does one spend on just raising one child, excluding future college savings/529s and stuff?
2) When I was born, I was lucky enough for my grandparents to take out zero-coupon bonds for my education. Is that still the best thing to do in order to help out for the kids' future education or should we just be helping out contributing towards their 529?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

MJP posted:

Serious questions out of curiosity, please don't take this as raaaargh childfree roooooar die breeders. My wife and I don't want kids for our own reasons. We do look forward to being the cool aunt and uncle when her sister starts popping them out.

1) Around how much does one spend on just raising one child, excluding future college savings/529s and stuff?
2) When I was born, I was lucky enough for my grandparents to take out zero-coupon bonds for my education. Is that still the best thing to do in order to help out for the kids' future education or should we just be helping out contributing towards their 529?
My surface level understanding for #2 is that the interest rates were significantly better back then and you're much better giving money that gets invested in either a UGMA or 529 now.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

MJP posted:

1) Less than $3 per month
2) No

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

zaurg posted:

1) Less than $3 per month
2) No
shut the gently caress up zaurg

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MJP posted:

Supposedly the average cost is around $14,000/year (source) but it can vary heavily depending on your area. In places like NY, SF, LA, just the increased rent for an extra room is probably the biggest cost.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MJP posted:

Roughly the same as you spend on yourself? Having children doesn't change your income, but it just shifts what you spend money on. Children are people who eat, so just calculate an extra 50 percent or so on what you are already spending on food, clothes, entertainment, ect.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Roughly the same as you spend on yourself? Having children doesn't change your income, but it just shifts what you spend money on. Children are people who eat, so just calculate an extra 50 percent or so on what you are already spending on food, clothes, entertainment, ect.

It does change your (after tax) income with how dependents are treated on taxes though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

daycare is $lol

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007

MJP posted:

We live in a LCOL area, and daycare for one kid is around $200/week for infants. It gets a little cheaper as they get older. Diapers are maybe $30-60 a month depending on age. All the other stuff varies depending on if you're willing to buy second hand and how fancy you want to get with clothes, car seats, cribs, etc. That daycare figure will escalate in higher cost of living areas.

Our oldest is 3 so I can't tell you about costs as they get older, I know we'll still have to pay for after school care when they're school aged as well as summer care. I'm sure once they're older activities start adding costs as well. I'd love to hear from people with older children what their costs are like.

Daycare is the big expense for us with 3 little kids though, everything else together doesn't even come close.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

Supposedly the average cost is around $14,000/year (source) but it can vary heavily depending on your area. In places like NY, SF, LA, just the increased rent for an extra room is probably the biggest cost.

Yeah, $14,400 is a $1200/mo rent situation, and in this part of northern NJ, that's the very lowest you can get if you're lucky for a 2BR in a halfway okay suburb. The parents in question would both be employed but then it turns into

brugroffil posted:

daycare is $lol

They presently live out of state and are moving back here to settle by family members who would help, but I doubt my MIL would be a full-time daycare provider. I shudder to think about daycare costs for four years or however long daycare lasts before the kid starts going to preschool.

It's solely out of curiosity, really. I think the old Calvin & Hobbes strip had the cost of raising a kid as $100,000 through age 18 in 198X dollars. Assuming '88, it calculated out to just above $200,000. Parents, how you can do it is beyond me, but maybe that's why I respect you but don't wish to join you.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ranidas posted:

Our oldest is 3

quote:

us with 3 little kids

:rip:

MJP posted:

Yeah, $14,400 is a $1200/mo rent situation, and in this part of northern NJ, that's the very lowest you can get if you're lucky for a 2BR in a halfway okay suburb. The parents in question would both be employed but then it turns into

They presently live out of state and are moving back here to settle by family members who would help, but I doubt my MIL would be a full-time daycare provider. I shudder to think about daycare costs for four years or however long daycare lasts before the kid starts going to preschool.

It's solely out of curiosity, really. I think the old Calvin & Hobbes strip had the cost of raising a kid as $100,000 through age 18 in 198X dollars. Assuming '88, it calculated out to just above $200,000. Parents, how you can do it is beyond me, but maybe that's why I respect you but don't wish to join you.

Our daycare is $400/week for three days for an infant and a 2.5 year old. Total daycare for both will probably add up to about $70k over the years.

Formula is probably another $150/month, plus diapers, wipes etc. Then of course funding the 529's.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 13, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MJP posted:

Oh don't worry, it's a loan, not a gift.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I'd rather give that kind of loan to a Testarossa kit on a Fiero chassis.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
And you never think you’ll be the one to have twins...

RIP my retirement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

I think I'd rather give that kind of loan to a Testarossa kit on a Fiero chassis.

Grandma has bought our 3 year old two "my first Ferrari" toy cars (they're hot wheels sized.) it cracks me up every time I see them.

In Los Angeles County we spend around a bit over a grand a month for full time care (probably more like $1200/month once all the incidental bullshit they hit you up for is calculated in.)

Diapers are $26/jumbo pack at target. Formula is $28/can at target (Similac top of the line stuff, there is cheaper.) Infants on full time formula gor through a can a week and a box of diapers every other. The formula goes up and the diapers go down as they get older.

Clothing is cheap if you aren't too good for hand me downs. Oxyclean powder can take out any stain.

Durable goods outside of crash safety structures (car seats) are $2000 new or cheaper used but last multiple kids. Car seats are $600/kid to last them through middle school (and you can save $300 reusing the infant one for kid #2.)

Everything else sorta just changes cost centers a they get older, basically formula and diapers becomes food and clothing. Daycare /preschool becomes extra curriculars, though probably a sharp decrease in like kindergarten / early elementary school. If they take up sports in a serious fashion you're hosed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Kids have the magical ability to absorb 25% of your income, no matter what your income is. The snoo is the perfect example on how childcare costs adapt to your means

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kids have the magical ability to absorb 25% of your income, no matter what your income is. The snoo is the perfect example on how childcare costs adapt to your means

:toot:

You could be the best uncle ever buying them one. Buy them the multipack of swaddles too, just one is like 3 too few given all the fluids they put out. If they have two kids it's cheaper to own and resell than rent. We rented, likely returning it in the next few weeks as I just assembled our free crib that's replacing it. That's $0 in cribs for 2 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We had a baby registry and filled it with useful things like swaddles, onesies, burp cloth, an option for hand-me-down clothing, etc etc. The #1 complaint I heard from relatives and friends was "oh but it's no fun buying you that stuff! We want to give something special!" I basically told everyone that if they get something not on the registry, make sure you give us the gift receipt too because we're almost certainly going to return it. It's not on the registry because we don't loving want it.