Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK do any of them have broadcast presence that regular people would watch in Japan then?

Dragongate is on MBS in Kansai which is broadcast which makes three on broadcast. Their show is basically the exact thing as what NJPW/Stardom are doing nationwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the vibe I've always gotten from the japanese wrestling scene is its supported by people that are way more hardcore than US or Euro fans. Their patronage system is way more advanced.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dragongate is on MBS in Kansai which is broadcast which makes three on broadcast. Their show is basically the exact thing as what NJPW/Stardom are doing nationwide.

It’s big for a big region but that’s like having a show on the NBC affiliate in New York or LA versus being a national broadcast. Even stuffed at 3 am or whenever, NJPW at least still has that.

I wonder if AJPW is on GAORA’s streaming as well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

With today's opening round of the Twin Gate tournament out of the way, they've confirmed the card for tomorrow which I'll spoil in case someone didn't see the show this morning.

12/1/2020
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
Edion Arena, Osaka
3:45AM EST, 12:45AM PST, 8:45AM GMT, 5:45PM JST

Open the Twin Gate Title Decision Tournament 2nd Round
Big R Shimizu & Eita vs Ben-K & YAMATO
Jason Lee & Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka
Don Fujii, Naruki Doi & Ultimo Dragon vs HYO, Kaito Ishida & Takashi Yoshida
BxB Hulk & Kazma Sakamoto vs Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito
Gamma, Martin Kirby & Problem Dragon vs KAI, Keisuke Okuda & Yuki Yoshioka
Masaaki Mochizuki vs Oji Shiiba
Dragon Dia & Kzy vs Dragon Kid & Kagetora

I'll be honest, show this morning was fun but then Ultimo Dragon appeared & I fell back asleep.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

the vibe I've always gotten from the japanese wrestling scene is its supported by people that are way more hardcore than US or Euro fans. Their patronage system is way more advanced.

Also feels mainstream acceptance is more commonplace

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching Dragon Gate and Zero1 in the same day and remembering that Shinjiro Otani is younger than Masaaki Mochizuki.

His hair just makes him look 20 years older than he actually is and makes you forget dude can still go (much like Mochi)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Card for the first Dragongate Korakuen show of the year on Wednesday has been announced, featuring the semi-finals & finals of the Twin Gate title tournament.

15/1/2020
Dragongate Open The New Year Gate
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
4:15AM EST, 1:15AM PST, 9:15AM GMT, 6:15PM JST

48th Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Finals
Semi 1 winners vs Semi 2 winners
Big R Shimizu, Eita & Kaito Ishida (R.E.D.) vs Genki Horiguchi, Kagetora & Naruki Doi (Toryumon)
Dragon Kid & Ryo Saito (Toryumon) vs H.Y.O. & Takashi Yoshida (R.E.D.) vs KAI & Strong Machine J (Dragongate)
Gamma, Kento Kobune, Masaaki Mochizuki & Taketo Kamei vs Jason Lee, Keisuke Okuda, Kota Minoura & Yuki Yoshioka
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Semi-Final
Ben-K & YAMATO (Dragongate) vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka (Toryumon)
BxB Hulk & Kazma Sakamoto (R.E.D.) vs Dragon Dia & Kzy (Dragongate)
Conomama Ichikawa, Don Fujii, Kenichiro Arai & Yasushi Kanda vs Martin Kirby, Problem Dragon, Punch Tominaga & Yosuke♡Santa Maria

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also feels mainstream acceptance is more commonplace
I watch a lot of Japanese comedies and dramas and it really isn’t unusual to see tons of Wrestling references. Random Romero special, random Aja Kong or Liger appearances, here’s Tanahashi on a talk show. Here you pretty much get Rock and occasionally Cena in mainstream stuff or talk shows

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I watch a lot of Japanese comedies and dramas and it really isn’t unusual to see tons of Wrestling references. Random Romero special, random Aja Kong or Liger appearances, here’s Tanahashi on a talk show. Here you pretty much get Rock and occasionally Cena in mainstream stuff or talk shows

lots of '80s references too, your Bruiser Brodies, etc.

almost like their wrestling boom is, in retrospect, a lot less embarrassing than WWE's Attitude Era. Huh.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I just signed up for DG network. Someone link me to some stuff I should watch.

I also signed up to stardom and I think I'm not going to keep three services. So I'll see what I get the most enjoyment out of between them after 2 months and cancel one. There's only so much time in the day to watch wrestling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I just signed up for DG network. Someone link me to some stuff I should watch.

I also signed up to stardom and I think I'm not going to keep three services. So I'll see what I get the most enjoyment out of between them after 2 months and cancel one. There's only so much time in the day to watch wrestling.

A good starting point would be the 2019 Kobe World show, which was the first Dragon Gate show to get English commentary, and serves as a good starting off point for the current stretch of what DG is doing: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=match_KPF2019_EC. My show of the year.

Also the 2011 Kobe World show in the middle of the Blood Warriors/Junction Three war is a candidate for Dragon Gate's Show of the Decade, every match is fantastic or tons of fun: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=kobe_world&episode=1350

For a non-major show, check Infinity 550, which features a recap of Dead or Alive 2019, and then has the opening matches of the King of Gate tournament at Korakuen Hall the following week, which are all very good and was low-key one of my favorite shows of 2019. https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_infinity2019&episode=12

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'll watch the Kobe show. I'm watching the PAC/BenK match right now. Have they done any English commentary since then? If so I'll watch anything in English and then just catch upcoming shows with Japanese commentary. I have to admit I'm really not understanding now to navigate this. If I wanted to like, for instance watch the 2019 King of Gate I'm not sure how I'd do that. In the NJPW thread we always say "go watch the G1" to get caught up on everyone. Would that be essentially the equivalent?

Edit: I know there was a 12/15 event but I have no idea how to navigate to that on this network, for instance.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 13, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'll watch the Kobe show. I'm watching the PAC/BenK match right now. Have they done any English commentary since then? If so I'll watch anything in English and then just catch upcoming shows with Japanese commentary. I have to admit I'm really not understanding now to navigate this. If I wanted to like, for instance watch the 2019 King of Gate I'm not sure how I'd do that. In the NJPW thread we always say "go watch the G1" to get caught up on everyone. Would that be essentially the equivalent?

Oh the website and it's layout are awful, it constantly logs me out for no reason while trying to get to shows, and the archives are spotty because of dumb TV rights poo poo with GAORA. But this is still an improvement over buying each show individually using like three separate Japanese websites to try and buy something.

Anyways, the other shows with English commentary are Dangerous Gate, Gate of Destiny, Final Gate, and the two December Korakuen shows. The upcoming Korakuen on the 15th will also have English commentary.

King of Gate is weird because it's not huge in the way the G1 is so a lot of the matches are spread out over a bunch of essentially house shows as they tour for that month, rather than being an appointment event like the G1, so not everything makes tape and sometimes what does is essentially unedited no commentary hard cam footage. The finals are here on Infinity 513: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_infinity2019&episode=16

Essentially the archives are incomplete and you should yell at Jae on twitter about it.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 13, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ok let's say I wanted to watch one of those. How would I go about finding final gate? I tried searching and came up with nothing.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ok let's say I wanted to watch one of those. How would I go about finding final gate? I tried searching and came up with nothing.

One of the things about the Dragon Gate Network is that shows are taken down after a week until they are eventually aired a month or two later on GAORA TV. This sucks and everyone knows it sucks but it's a concession they had to make to GAORA (who are part owners of DG) to even get the network. If you can't find it it's because GAORA hasn't let them put it up yet.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why all the gates

What happens when you open all the gates

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Why all the gates

What happens when you open all the gates

The best part of Dragongate is that the Open The Dream Gate title challengers get a key (y'know, to open the gate?) & then if they lose the key gets added to the champs belt. It's an aesthetic.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So if I signed up for DragonGate Network, can I watch 2000s era Dragon Gate?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, that's unhelpful. No. They have been uploading about 1 episode of Toryumon a month, which means that there's not very many of them. There's about 20 of them, from the 1999 until just starting 2001. I hope they will then get around to uploading old DG but the Infinity archive only goes from 2017. Other than that all they've got is all the Kobe World shows from 2004 onwards. I really enjoy Dragongate but it's loving hard to honestly recommend it because it's expensive relative to just about every other streaming service and the archives are slim, & live shows are only on there for a week before getting kicked off until GAORA airs it maybe a month later. So unless you want to watch live Dragongate it's just not worth it. Which sucks, because the company puts on some great wrestling but jesus the barrier to entry is far too high.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forkboy84 posted:

The best part of Dragongate is that the Open The Dream Gate title challengers get a key (y'know, to open the gate?) & then if they lose the key gets added to the champs belt. It's an aesthetic.

So when you win the belt you enter the gate? What is in there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Only people who've opened the gate know, and they won't say. Even the ones no longer in DG like CIMA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its Lanny Poffo laying in bed watching wrestling. The whole experience is so surreal it'll probably start a religion in a century.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seems like it's still easier to follow DG than say, NOAH or AJPW though, due to them having a bit more English support.

I'll just start with the 1/15 show in English and make sure I watch it this week. If I love it I'll keep going.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Seems like it's still easier to follow DG than say, NOAH or AJPW though, due to them having a bit more English support.

I'll just start with the 1/15 show in English and make sure I watch it this week. If I love it I'll keep going.

Honestly, if you've got the time I recommend checking in on the 2 shows from this weekend, at least to watch the Open the Twin Gate tournament matches. Some of them are very good and it will set you up for the semi-finals & finals on Wednesday.

The thing with NOAH & All Japan is generally what happens is very straight forward. I'm not from the Erick Stevens school of "ONLY IDIOTS LISTEN TO ENGLISH COMMENTARY NEW JAPAN" but I will say that I have found it very easy to follow what's going on despite my Japanese being no more than "Suzuki-gun, ichiban!". It's two guys and they both want to win and that's really about it. Okay, you get stuff like the ending of Lee/Miyahara where after the match Aoyagi turns on Miyahara but you don't actually need to know what he's saying to get the gist of him beating down the dude who was his Real World Tag League partner. It's simple stuff. And NOAH is even easier. Just follow Hisame on Twitter, she's amazing for translating promos & generally putting across what's happening in a way that is comparable to the guy who runs the Dramatic DDT blog & Jae who used to do a similar fansite for Dragongate.

Talking of NOAH, the 4/1 show is hopefully going to be online in the next 24 hours or so. Should be about an hour left of the G+ broadcast. I really want to see the main event, the Jr title match, National title match & honestly, the return of Doug Williams to NOAH is something I'll find fun.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 13, 2020

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Great Sasuke is coming to my local lucha indie. I hope he jumps off something wearing a barrel

https://twitter.com/PWRevolution/status/1216782359690870784?s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PWR is cool. IIRC they were one of the rando feds that go involved with that FloSports debacle. Ultimo Panda and El Hijo De Trump.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

They're a cool promotion and their live events are really fun. They're also affiliated with NJPW and provide logistical support for their Bay Area shows.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

joke answer: you find out what magnum tokyo is really up to in 2019
real answer: they have a name plate behind the silver dragon emblem. usually says "Name, XTH Generation Open the Dream Gate King, Date of Win"

i can't find the photo/might be off the internet, but after cima's monster reign they took a photo of his plate and it was super worn/getting corroded.

dgnet is good if you can take the time to watch shows within the week but i cannot possibly recommend it. the retro episodes are cool because they are remasters, but they are incredibly slow in getting it all up there (gaora owns everything so it's not a rights issue). dg met with gaora in december in an attempt to make it more western friendly, but that's probably just going to be more shows with lenny/larry/jae than actually adapting the network to what the rest of the wrestling world does with ott services. gaora was basically forced to make the network to begin with so they aren't going to be putting incredible resources behind it unless it's clearly going to make them a bunch of money.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
So what’s the best way to actually watch Dragon Gate this year?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

didn't sasuke just work GCW in california like last year

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I dunno about Cali, but he was definitely in Atlantic City for Tournament of Survival 4 last year.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Punch McLightning posted:

So what’s the best way to actually watch Dragon Gate this year?

The easiest way to watch current Dragon Gate is the DG Network as long as you’re willing to watch within a week of the show airing, you shouldn’t have a problem accessing those shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's nice that Dragon Gate enforces the "No Old Wrestling" law.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Where's the scoop on how TakaTaichi vs Despy and DOUKI went?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Card for the first Dragongate Korakuen show of the year on Wednesday has been announced, featuring the semi-finals & finals of the Twin Gate title tournament.

15/1/2020
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

Big R Shimizu, Eita & Kaito Ishida (R.E.D.) vs Genki Horiguchi, Kagetora & Naruki Doi (Toryumon)
Dragon Kid & Ryo Saito (Toryumon) vs H.Y.O. & Takashi Yoshida (R.E.D.) vs KAI & Strong Machine J (Dragongate)
Gamma, Kento Kobune, Masaaki Mochizuki & Taketo Kamei vs Jason Lee, Keisuke Okuda, Kota Minoura & Yuki Yoshioka
Conomama Ichikawa, Don Fujii, Kenichiro Arai & Yasushi Kanda vs Martin Kirby, Problem Dragon, Punch Tominaga & Yosuke♡Santa Maria

Reminder, this is in 8 & a bit hours. Come see new Twin Gate Champs crowned!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This 2vs2vs2 segment has felt like it's gone on forever and oh my god I'm turning hard on the Toryumon faction, it's just full of people who should not be around or should be stuck in opening matches. Why am I about to see Ryo Saito challenge for the Triangle Gate?

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

forkboy84 posted:

15/1/2020
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

drat my sensible working hours for missing some DG Korakuen goodness. And I'm yet to watch the two previous shows... And NOAH 1/4... and that ICW New York show...

But yeah, while I do enjoy the idea of the generational warfare, there's a lot of old and dead weight in the Toryumon side.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does English commentary come later? I thought someone in this thread said 1/15 show would have English commentary.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Does English commentary come later? I thought someone in this thread said 1/15 show would have English commentary.

Nope, it's the Korakuen at the end of the month that has English commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Nope, it's the Korakuen at the end of the month that has English commentary.

Ah makes sense. OK.

So, I read the factions were disbanded at the end of last year. But I started watching the 1/15 show and there was a long segment with some guys in black and gold, and then some guys in black and blue, and then later RED came in and was dicks to everyone. Also on the 1/11 show I started watching, some guys before matches would like, hold up these blue shirts with signatures on them. Is this new factions forming?

Is it OK if I come in and ask DG questions like this?