Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:peanut:
Still need to organize them properly, but its nice to have them in a spot now where they are easy to find and pick out.

This is where I was storing my paints before:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Still need to organize them properly, but its nice to have them in a spot now where they are easy to find and pick out.

I could do with a 3-4 row version of that probably. Link? Or links to similar stuff?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I could do with a 3-4 row version of that probably. Link? Or links to similar stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBCPM6I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Bought two of these, it will hold about 120 paints with two.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you y'all clean your models after they're done?

I wanna go back and apply matte to a ton of my older models but they're very dusty.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

For dusty models I just take a big old but clean brush and gently brush all the dust off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I said come in! posted:

What are those minis in the bottom pic?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

What are those minis in the bottom pic?

Lannister Swordsmen from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

How do you y'all clean your models after they're done?
Bathtub and bleach, grind the bones.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

Haven’t painted in a few years, and decided to get a few dnd minis and a simple paint set. Here’s what I’ve got so far!

That's a mighty fine miniature giant space hamster.

The ranger's pretty good too, I guess.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

I think a darker steel tone would blend in better and put more of the focus on your highlights going forward. Looks great tho

Oh yeah, it would definitely look better and fit with my theme of high contrast. I'll switch it out to Leadbelcher with a few coats of Nuln Oil and edge it with Stormhost Silver.

I am trying to think of how to do orange for belts / holsters etc. Maybe a dark brown with a Troll Slayer or Fire Dragon Bright orange edge highlight? Can't really think of what else would look like a dark orange next to the dark blue / dark purple / dark green.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fake James posted:

I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

These are awesome!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its real hard to photograph this under UV light, but it looks amaaaazing in person

Test of uv-reactive paints under black light

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBCPM6I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Bought two of these, it will hold about 120 paints with two.

Thanks ordered one, I've got 23 paints right now so that should do me for a bit :)

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
So, I got myself an airbrush, but I dont have an an airbrush primer. Can I use this one http://movingtreemedia.com/store_images/SAM_0848__81750.1405195788.1280.1280.JPG , granted is diluted enough? How much dilution should it use, if so ?Tia.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Portus posted:

So, I got myself an airbrush, but I dont have an an airbrush primer. Can I use this one http://movingtreemedia.com/store_images/SAM_0848__81750.1405195788.1280.1280.JPG , granted is diluted enough? How much dilution should it use, if so ?Tia.

I use the same Primer (Vallejo's) and as per this thread recommendation I only add Flow Improver. I use two drops per ml of primer and it seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I recently bought the oldschool metal Aekold Hellbrass model as it was my favorite when I was a kid.

I want to bring him into 40k as a custom unit, so I've been copying parts of the model with thermoplastic so I can get the texture of his armor down along with his helmet. However, I need a base body to build off of, which leads me to the AOS WarCry Preytaker with the sawtooth blade. Does anyone know how large this model is when compared to both the 40k normal marines and primaris ones?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Furism posted:

I use the same Primer (Vallejo's) and as per this thread recommendation I only add Flow Improver. I use two drops per ml of primer and it seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Gonna keep the airbrush noob questions coming because I got my girlfriend this Master Airbrush Cool Runner II without the paints and we haven't taken it on its maiden voyage yet.

Do I assume you measure your primer with a pipette?

Am I going to be kicking myself that I didn't grab a compressor with a tank? My thought process was just to get a good deal on something so we could stop buying rattlecans for priming, but I didn't realize this didn't have a tank until we unpacked it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So last night I started putting together the Tzaangors from my start collecting Thousand Sons box, and I really appreciate the sculpts on them with the chainsword and auto pistol sprue. Just about every sword and pistol combo works well. Really speaks to the foresight and design on the models.

Don't know if this is a mini painting issue, but I don't know if we have a model sculpt appreciation thread.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Gonna keep the airbrush noob questions coming because I got my girlfriend this Master Airbrush Cool Runner II without the paints and we haven't taken it on its maiden voyage yet.

Am I going to be kicking myself that I didn't grab a compressor with a tank? My thought process was just to get a good deal on something so we could stop buying rattlecans for priming, but I didn't realize this didn't have a tank until we unpacked it.

When I first started airbrushing I diluted my usual paints, but honestly if you're mostly just priming and basecoating just buy the premade airbrush paint in the colors you need. It isn't that expensive and removes a giant headache from the process.

I am personally a fan of the Stylrenze primers. I bought a 32oz bottle of black at Gen Con 2 years ago (may be 16oz now that I think about it) and it's still going strong.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Stynylrez.asp

I've also gotten a couple of the colored and white primers when I needed them for a whole army, but generally I prime black and then basecoat in the needed color from the badger Minitaire airbrush paint lines. Again, picked up a full set of them at Gen Con for like 70% off and just use as needed, buying larger bottles when needed to do basecoats of large armies.

http://www.minitaire.com/

There may be better airbrush paints out there, but the badget stuff works well and I can regularly get it pretty inexpensively at conventions when I need to. I haven't felt a need to branch out from their brand. I might feel differently if I used my airbrush for more detail stuff, but other than doing some candy coats that usually doesn't happen.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

You can also try priming with acrylic ink. Just be sure to add airbrush thinner to it (I believe it's a 1:1 ratio).
Miniac has a pretty good video on inks with airbrushes

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just for some examples, these 10mm scale minis were primarily painted via airbrush a couple of years ago. Primed black, basecoated in some type of brown, then some of the vehicle detail was done with an airbrush (minitaire paints) and some brush hilighting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

badger’s primer is great. as easy to apply as it is difficult to spell

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
This werebat was a lot of fun:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I have little pots with a graduation every 2ml that I use to mix the primer/paints with the Flow Improver. But if you know the size of your airbrush tank I guess you could eyeball it. There's going to be some trial and error until you get a feel for it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Are you folks actually measuring out your paint in real units instead of counting droplets?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Phi230 posted:

So besides reaper's stuff, and the DnD/Nolzur stuff, where's a good source for minis for rpgs?

Reaper: https://www.reapermini.com/
WizKids: https://wizkids.com/all-miniatures/ -This includes the Nolzur stuff
Dark Sword: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/
Mierce Miniatures: https://mierce-miniatures.com/
Iron Kingdoms: https://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms/miniatures
Avatars of Wars: https://en.avatars-of-war.com/
NorthStar: https://www.northstarfigures.com/
Otherworld Miniatures: https://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/
Alternative Armies: https://www.alternative-armies.com/

YMMV when it comes to cost, shipping times, availability, and sculpt quality. Dark Sword has been fantastic for me thus far, and I just ordered some NorthStar stuff.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any good sources for hordes of particular types of minis, like orcs, skeletons, etc? GW works out to around 3-4 bucks per model, and nolzur's is around 2, but I'm wondering if there are even cheaper alternatives out there.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It isn't exactly cheaper but I've bought one of these and started 3d printing my own miniatures. It opens up a lot of options for getting more obscure miniatures, depending on how much you're willing to tweak 3d models, and then you can print as many of them as you want. At 3 dollars a mini, it would pay for itself after 90 or so guys, if you include a 40 dollar bottle of resin.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Any good sources for hordes of particular types of minis, like orcs, skeletons, etc? GW works out to around 3-4 bucks per model, and nolzur's is around 2, but I'm wondering if there are even cheaper alternatives out there.

Reaper has sets of 2-6 of goblins, kobolds, skeletons and orcs that range from $4-$10. Not the most detailed sculpts but good for minions and low-level encounters.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

It isn't exactly cheaper but I've bought one of these and started 3d printing my own miniatures. It opens up a lot of options for getting more obscure miniatures, depending on how much you're willing to tweak 3d models, and then you can print as many of them as you want. At 3 dollars a mini, it would pay for itself after 90 or so guys, if you include a 40 dollar bottle of resin.

If you also value the time spent on printing, including preparation, cleanup, postprocessing, etc, a SLA printer is probably not a sound investment. SLA 3d printing is incredible, but if you just care about saving money by printing bootleg minis, you should be aware that it is extremely time consuming.

I just printed out 10 15mm scale tanks for Flames of War, and the total time I spent on that until I had 10 models ready for priming is probably 3-4 hours - Arranging the prints, cleaning the printer between prints, cleaning the models, curing the models, and removing the supports.

Granted, at the end of all that I had ten models of a comparable quality to store brought models and it only cost me around 7$ worth of printing goo, but if I put a dollar value on my time doing that I'd honestly have been better off just driving to my FLGS and buying them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

nesbit37 posted:

I am personally a fan of the Stylrenze primers. I bought a 32oz bottle of black at Gen Con 2 years ago (may be 16oz now that I think about it) and it's still going strong.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Stynylrez.asp

I've also gotten a couple of the colored and white primers when I needed them for a whole army, but generally I prime black and then basecoat in the needed color from the badger Minitaire airbrush paint lines. Again, picked up a full set of them at Gen Con for like 70% off and just use as needed, buying larger bottles when needed to do basecoats of large armies.

Seconding this. THE BEST airbrush primer there is, bar none. Leaves everyone else in the dust. Can be used on pretty much everything, including annoying vinyl, and whatever voodoo recipe vinyl Bones is made from. Lots of colors to choose from.

Pretty much the only primers I use these days are Stynylrez, and Tamiya Fine Surface Primer when I want to use a rattle-can.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Verisimilidude posted:

Mantic are a good source for mobs like this, especially skeletons, though their orks aren't to everyones taste they are cheaper than GW

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

Funnily enough, GW is good value for kobolds if you're willing to proxy skinks. They're about $2 each.

edit: otherwise, I like Mantic for mobs more than reaper.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

How happy are you with the resolutions? We just got in a Form 3 and naturally one of the first thigns I printed on it was a 28mm scale Dachshund (5.5mm tall) and I am pretty happy with how it came out:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

working mom posted:

Mantic are a good source for mobs like this, especially skeletons, though their orks aren't to everyones taste they are cheaper than GW

I bought some mobs from mantic, they'll sell single sprues online as well. Between a Skeleton Troup frame and the Undead Gravestalker Deal, I ended up getting 10 skeletons 10 zombies and 10 ghouls with a bunch of bits for $55 US.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

nesbit37 posted:

How happy are you with the resolutions? We just got in a Form 3 and naturally one of the first thigns I printed on it was a 28mm scale Dachshund (5.5mm tall) and I am pretty happy with how it came out:

I want like 10 of those to mount my 6mm Squats on so bad

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

holy poo poo lmao I need at least two

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted the last 3 units today, to complete the 2000 points Slyvaneth Army.

1 more unit of 10 Dryads

and 2 units of 3 Kurnoth Hunters with Greatswords

Here's the full army:

Only thing left to get is another wood (3 trees) and possibly a display board.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Richyp is a bit of a tough act to follow, but I really enjoy finishing projects, even if they're small. Finished my Warcry team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
So, I've just recently begun getting into Warhammer 40k, picked up a box of tau fire warriors and here was my first attempt at painting a miniature.

Glad to have found a fun and relaxing, if at times frustrating hobby.