Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

the inbuilt destruction of chronology, history, etc. is real bad too

yeah.

also agreed about forums being better than chats. social media sucks rear end and is run by people who have a terrifying vision of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah you can make a really good post and even in a fast moving thread that can really even if not initially hit later in the day really click with a lot of people

chat well if its not from ten minutes ago its forgotten unless someone is scanning and archiving all those chats but theyre not looking for the good posts theyre looking for the bad ones for later use

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
but isn't dadchat... a chat?

we are undone

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

youre in a thread, friend

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
i don't think forums are really "better" in the sense they have better or deeper conversations, and they can also lead to quick idiot reply wars. i do think like twitter is bad for discourse though because its basically uncoded bullshit being streamed directly into your loving brain.

also lol at the idea that forums aren't also easily able to be run by morons who have horrific views of the future.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what is a thread but a slow placed chat room

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what is a thread but a slow placed chat room

i generally agree with this, especially like when something starts getting live posted.

the place where i think forums are really nice is for like, actually being able to have longer conversations about interesting stuff.

also a whole lot of the drama of sa would happen literally in any medium.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i mean isnt this like the only real forum left if we're not counting reddit outside weird hobbyist things

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

i mean isnt this like the only real forum left if we're not counting reddit outside weird hobbyist things

and look who both of those are run by

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also lol at the idea that forums aren't also easily able to be run by morons who have horrific views of the future.

I mean the scale is completely different. You got a down on his luck guy who is going to be indebted to the American medical system for years versus a group of insane former anarchists turned libertarian capitalists who want to use their engineered social platforms as the way we interact with everything.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

honestly don't know who runs the forums for ar15.com but im guessing nazis

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
basic stuff like the 10 second between posts limit, conventions around effort and double-posting, etc. probably help too.

towards the end of my blemishless modding career, i was finding it basically impossible to tell whether some people's reports and posts were trolling, or just the result of unbelievably bad reading comprehension.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I will grant you reddit, though

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

or just the result of unbelievably bad reading comprehension.

I think that's gone downhill too with social media, but at some point when compiling a "things have gone downhill list" i have to consider the real possibility that I'm just getting old

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

would not be surprised if 95% of reports are people just trying to ratfuck some one they disagree with like this person is cheer leading or white noise posting instead of like wow this person just said a really racist thing

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

basic stuff like the 10 second between posts limit, conventions around effort and double-posting, etc. probably help too.

towards the end of my blemishless modding career, i was finding it basically impossible to tell whether some people's reports and posts were trolling, or just the result of unbelievably bad reading comprehension.

i mean modding is like a huge problem because it takes a huge toll on the humans who are required to do it. can you imagine trying to moderate facebook or twitter? like the horror stories of the people who have to weed out "is it slasher murder pictures" on facebook are truly horrifying, and it's not any really different for forums either.

you also become dependent on moderators not losing their mind/being shitheads.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

at least the twitter facebook people get paid

maybe

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Dreylad posted:

I think that's gone downhill too with social media, but at some point when compiling a "things have gone downhill list" i have to consider the real possibility that I'm just getting old

specifically, the thing of only ever taking the worst possible interpretation of a post seems like a new-ish phenomenon. like, letters to the editor have always been full of psychos, but in a very different way.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

specifically, the thing of only ever taking the worst possible interpretation of a post seems like a new-ish phenomenon. like, letters to the editor have always been full of psychos, but in a very different way.

i mean this is a larger social problem that i don't think has less to do directly with social media in so much as its just people having their own weird head cannons reinforced constantly by being able to say their dumbshit and get it instantly reinforced/propagated, which i think connects more largely to a death truth/experts. And so you just get a cogitative dissonance feedback loop.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

at least the twitter facebook people get paid

maybe

not nearly enough from the sounds of it.

I think it's to the credit of some of the subforums and mods that they've gotten to the point where almost no moderation is needed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I think it's to the credit of some of the subforums and mods that they've gotten to the point where almost no moderation is needed.

because nobody posts in them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

because nobody posts in them

Mission Accomplished.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
twitter/facebook exist in very different contexts though. sa isn't trying to be the dominant platform, and thankfully you generally don't have to deal with worse than the occasional goatse.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i mean modding is like a huge problem because it takes a huge toll on the humans who are required to do it. can you imagine trying to moderate facebook or twitter? like the horror stories of the people who have to weed out "is it slasher murder pictures" on facebook are truly horrifying, and it's not any really different for forums either.

you also become dependent on moderators not losing their mind/being shitheads.

the sa experience isn't really comparable imo. it's more about trying to maintain a functional-ish ecosystem until you get burned out from everyone being mad at you all the time, vs being desensitised thru horror.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Being an admin has to be worse than being a mod I imagine

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i'm genuinely worried about the perceptual breakdown between online and irl tho

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this whole 'posting is praxis' thing that seems to a)not be a joke and b)be gaining traction is weirding me out

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

i'm genuinely worried about the perceptual breakdown between online and irl tho

i mean i think online/offline is prolly not the right words, but yeah. like that people cannot identify facts from fiction is extremely worrying. terminally online i think is just shorthand for "unable to parse reality from fiction and headcanon"

someone mentioned it earlier iirc, but i think one of the real reasons the bush administration felt less terrible was that we weren't constantly getting new and terrible poo poo beamed into our brains. there was a lot of new and terrible poo poo, though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dreylad posted:

there's like 20 mods for cspam

but yeah all the rest of the forums probably not needed

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dreylad posted:

this whole 'posting is praxis' thing that seems to a)not be a joke and b)be gaining traction is weirding me out

yeah this plus the massive proliferation of offsite discords which are sort of unofficial but not? seems to be a real big problem with this recent drama

not to be confused with the drama that made me actually tune out SA in 2017 which feels 100% opposite of the current poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

yeah this plus the massive proliferation of offsite discords which are sort of unofficial but not? seems to be a real big problem with this recent drama

not to be confused with the drama that made me actually tune out SA in 2017 which feels 100% opposite of the current poo poo

I can't even remember what that drama was, but I definitely have tuned out SA more since 2015-2016 or so due to real life poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Dreylad posted:

Being an admin has to be worse than being a mod I imagine

i think it's just different. being able to see ip addresses etc and having to deal with irl issues adds another layer of responsibility – you straight up can't have anyone who's going to try and doxx their posting enemies, or leak stuff to try and impress their friends. a lot of people either try and suck up or get performatively hostile to the perceived 'authority', which was pretty annoying.

it's nice to be able to hand out avs and title changes tho, and it's mostly chill tbh

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dreylad posted:

I can't even remember what that drama was, but I definitely have tuned out SA more since 2015-2016 or so due to real life poo poo

lowtax posting on the kiwi farms and going haha yeah which people are forgetting for whatever dumb poo poo ppj did for the time being

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Dreylad posted:

there's discords full of people who unironically think getting banned is police brutality. it's wild.

the better analogy for mods is like... shop assistants? dmv workers?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

lowtax posting on the kiwi farms and going haha yeah which people are forgetting for whatever dumb poo poo ppj did for the time being

I'd literally never heard of kiwifarms until it got brought up in the FYAD transphobia stuff. I assume it's just the new SASS?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

sort of but same nazi boogeyman in that regard yeah

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'd literally never heard of kiwifarms until it got brought up in the FYAD transphobia stuff. I assume it's just the new SASS?

older than sass and hates trans people more but same deal

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Dreylad posted:

it started out as a chris chan stalking forum, but has turned into a pan-internet thing now

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it got blocked here after the christchurch attacks, not sure if it still is

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

it started out as a chris chan stalking forum, but has turned into a pan-internet thing now

the gently caress? Okay well that's a hell of an origin story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

people basing their entire identities around their forums/twitter/whatever posting is unhealthy imo