Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a place where I can read people pouring all the tea about Sega because this poo poo is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda liked Sands of Destruction, even though it's uh, well

I liked it right until I got lost in the prison for an hour

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I bought Phantasy Star for the dreamcast thinking it would be like Phantasy Star IV and I was absolutely full of regrets nearly instantly.

Give me Phantasy Star V

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Phantasy Star 4 ended just fine as is and a 5th game would be completely superfluous.
Who said it would have to continue the same story?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

Who said it would have to continue the same story?

Well they tried the gaiden thing too and that gave us ALISLAND and two seperate cases of clone-daughter abandonment

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

My favourite thing about the early trailers for Phantasy Star Universe is it had floating text like "is this PSO2? Is this PSV? Maybe it's both! Who knows!"

And then the game came out and it opens with some goon riding a hoverboard and closes every chapter with anime laughs to credits and boy I'm not sure what they thought people wanted from Phantasy Star but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

A lead developer on Skies of Arcadia wants to bring it back.

https://twitter.com/k_h00/status/1216662935713398785

well ok, but only if this means i get to play as pirate fina

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sega management has always been such a shitshow, from Yuji Naka throwing a temper tanty until they bought him a Ferrari to Isao Okawa personally bankrolling the company through all its stupid poo poo until he passed away after PSO came out and took any hope of the DC's continued existence with him
Reading stories about what they did to the US Sega teams in the 90s alone was pretty infuriating. So much petty and childish decisions purely because they got shown up by another branch or considered them inferior.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Is there a place where I can read people pouring all the tea about Sega because this poo poo is incredible
There's unfortunately not a good concentrated place with all this info. The best you could do is probably look up the development of individual Sonic games and Sega consoles in the 90s, since that's where it was at its worst.
Tom Kalinske, the CEO of Sega US from 90 to 96, has like, a dozen interviews with insider details on the subject. Here's one from 2006.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Barudak posted:

Give me Phantasy Star V

You know this would just be a mobile game, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I ignored Breath of Fire 6 to death, I can do the same thing for any mobile Phantasy Star V

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You can always enjoy Phantasy Star NoVa, for the Playstation Vita

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some guy is doing randomized final fantasy tactics AI vs AI. basically fft saltybet. it's an incredibly fun watch.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FFT auto chess game when?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Some guy is doing randomized final fantasy tactics AI vs AI. basically fft saltybet. it's an incredibly fun watch.

Do other people make the characters or is it randomized?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do other people make the characters or is it randomized?
You can use money you win to buy skills and classes to put yourself in as, but it's limited to one skill/item/etc, so you can influence your character to a certain extent but you have no control over what team you're on, and getting in at all is pretty RNG too. And you can also just put yourself in as something completely random. You have to pay 1k for the ability to select a monster class but the RNG option can just give you one, for instance. Basically between tournaments you just put in !fight (class if you want) (skill if you have one) and get put into the pool of people who can be put in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I deeply regret the truly insane number of hours I spent trying to get a lightsaber to drop in Phantasy Star Online

Though I'm a bit proud that I was able to make a human Force with a maxed out pet and that scythe weapon that was almost as good at melee as a Hunter

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

You can use money you win to buy skills and classes to put yourself in as, but it's limited to one skill/item/etc, so you can influence your character to a certain extent but you have no control over what team you're on, and getting in at all is pretty RNG too. And you can also just put yourself in as something completely random. You have to pay 1k for the ability to select a monster class but the RNG option can just give you one, for instance. Basically between tournaments you just put in !fight (class if you want) (skill if you have one) and get put into the pool of people who can be put in.

Oh wow this is really cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i've done some truly stupid poo poo to grind in loot shooters like Borderlands, which is what happens when you're on college break and have nothing to do

"dumbest thing you've ever grinded for" would be a depressing topic, god.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What I find amusing is how Sega is sitting on gold mine franchises and co concepts only for other developers to pick up the ball. Sega completely fumbled Valkyria Chronicles and only released one Sakura Wars game on the rest, yet Nintendo had turned Fire Emblem into a juggernaut franchise worldwide.

EightFlyingCars posted:

The best sources are books and old interviews and sales data.

But if you want some interesting tidbits:

• The Sega Genesis started getting a foothold due to Sega's brilliant marketing and grit to get their system into stores. For example to get Walmart to carry the console, they put a huge advertising campaign at the CEOs residence to get him sick enough to accept the console in his stores. The system also focused on marketing that focused on making games for "everyone" rather than children. Tactics like these resulted in the console selling over 90,000 units per month during the latter half of 1990. A full year before Sonic. What Sonic did was turn the system into a phenomenon that outsold both the NES and the then new Super Nintendo.

• After Sony's deal with Nintendo fell out, Sony approached Sega to see if they wanted to publish the PlayStation instead. Sega of America agreed, Sega of Japan refused. Later Sega of America was making deals with Silicon Graphics to use what would become the Nintendo 64 chipset for the Sega Saturn. It was pretty much a done deal until Sega of Japan interfered and wanted to side with Hitachi.

• The general consensus was that two things killed the Sega Dreamcast: the PlayStation 2 and piracy. The general consensus is wrong. The Dreamcast's software attach rate was the same as any other console after its first year on the market. It was equal to that of the Xbox or GameCube. In terms of the PlayStation 2, after it's launch the Dreamcast actually moved more units not less. You see the Dreamcast wasn't selling consistently well then died when the PS2 released, instead it sold a lot during it's launch, then cratered after the holidays. It was then gradually brought back during the early fall due to aggressive marketing by Sega. And unlike the previous time, when the holiday season and January 2001 hit, the system was still selling. Not "well" mind you, but not terrible either. It's just that Sega didn't have any money to keep supporting it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 14, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
in Taria's scenario in Scarlet Grace I'm stuck

followed the phoenix to Azhuacan, won the temple fight

the ingame quest says to explore the City of Azhuacan, the phoenix flew off to the northwest, and I can't find anything new to do and the North Pier says "This can't be used right now."

i dimly recall visiting the north pier before the temple fight but I don't remember what it said; i've wandered around other provinces doing stuff in hopes it'll open up either the pier or the ability to make an end run around the problem by taking a land route, but no dice

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i was watching fft battles last night and when I was there it was mostly this one white mage with galaxy stop destroying everyone with ancient astrology magic

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Four days of grinding for a Rainbow Pudding, in FFIVDS. By the end, I was continuing on out of pure spite.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i've done some truly stupid poo poo to grind in loot shooters like Borderlands, which is what happens when you're on college break and have nothing to do

BL1 had that one chest in New Haven on the rooftop that you could reload over and over and over

then it turns out it was faster to clip into/out of that one DLC and open all the chests over and over

BL2 I had to farm for The Bee prenerf but I mean that poo poo owned so even a non max level one was great

god now I'm thinking about it :shepicide:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
aha, there was an unlabeled thingybob

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

-Stacking Heras in Puzzles & Dragons to max skill Hera-Is immediately at US launch.

-Obtaining Quina's final weapon and maximizing that frog drop ability without advancing from getting them in the party in FF9.

-Oro's Sacrifice in Path of Exile on my first character.

-Around 20 shiny pokemon between Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Got a question about Dragon Quest XI.

I already own the PS4 version, got it from a friend.

I know the Switch version is generally the definitive one, but is it worth buying a game I already own just to play the extra stuff? How much extra do you get?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arisu posted:

Got a question about Dragon Quest XI.

I already own the PS4 version, got it from a friend.

I know the Switch version is generally the definitive one, but is it worth buying a game I already own just to play the extra stuff? How much extra do you get?
Main things are more paired endings (basically paired endings for male party members,) bonus bosses from past dragon quest games, and convenience features like speedup, being able to call your horse anywhere, etc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TocPKiNCs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

Endorph posted:

Main things are more paired endings (basically paired endings for male party members,) bonus bosses from past dragon quest games, and convenience features like speedup, being able to call your horse anywhere, etc.

This and the extra character episodes between Acts 1 and 2 but YMMV on those.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

golden bubble posted:

Even though player pegasus knights are a Tier 2 class, the enemy pegasus knights are a different Tier 3 class with higher and more min-maxed growths to boot. Thus pegasus knights and any enemy that promotes from pegasus knight get even bigger numbers. Since most fire emblem games rely solely on big numbers for tough enemies, this makes them really hard to deal with.

This is also why getting Ingrid as a late recruit works out. Late recruits in that game get stats based upon the enemy versions of their default classes, meaning a late Ingrid will come in with stats from enemy pegasus knight growths and promotion bonuses.

Falcon Knight needed to be an advanced class with something else as the master class. The Pegasus, Wyvern, Falcon/Wyvern split for flying classes was just odd.

Barudak posted:

I ignored Breath of Fire 6 to death, I can do the same thing for any mobile Phantasy Star V

BoF6 came and went so fast that if Capcom announced BoF6 as an actual RPG for PC/Console I'm pretty sure they'd get a pass on the "but BoF6 was a mobile game" fact.

As long as it's an actual BoF RPG like 1-4 and not garbage like Dragon Quarter or 6.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

not garbage like Dragon Quarter

DQuarter was good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

maybe the best

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I love Breath of Fire but if the series had to die because of Dragon Quarter I'm okay with it since there are a lot of games akin to those first four but I can't think of anything quite like Dragon Quarter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I loved Breath of Fire IV a whooooole lot while Dragon Quarter was the opposite of a game I would play but I lucked out as a friend of mine fell into a Dragon Quarter hole and replayed it enough to get the D 1/2(?) ratio cutscenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon quarter led to dead rising 1 so even if you don't like it it was a net good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
god tokyo xanadu is such a long game lol

the normal ending was cool though. wonder how all of this later stuff is gonna be

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i didn't like the true ending as much as the normal ending in that game though the afterstory chapter that follows from it is alright

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the true ending but the after story just feels pointless

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
For anyone who interested in trying one of the Atelier game (like me), the series is on sale on Steam between now until the 21st.

I've only seen the Atelier games mentioned in passing, but what I heard made it sound like they were pretty good and unique. This post outlining the series was helpful in getting more of an insight about what each game focuses on, and where to start with the series. However, out of the recommended starting games (Rorona, Ayesha, Lydie and Suelle, Ryza), I'm not sure which to go with. Right now, I'm leaning towards Atelier Rorona, since it's the first one chronologically, and one of the cheaper ones on sale at the moment ($23.99 USD, versus some of the others which are still in the $40 range).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Max Wilco posted:

For anyone who interested in trying one of the Atelier game (like me), the series is on sale on Steam between now until the 21st.

I've only seen the Atelier games mentioned in passing, but what I heard made it sound like they were pretty good and unique. This post outlining the series was helpful in getting more of an insight about what each game focuses on, and where to start with the series. However, out of the recommended starting games (Rorona, Ayesha, Lydie and Suelle, Ryza), I'm not sure which to go with. Right now, I'm leaning towards Atelier Rorona, since it's the first one chronologically, and one of the cheaper ones on sale at the moment ($23.99 USD, versus some of the others which are still in the $40 range).

The series just looks to moe anime for me to enjoy.