Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't need liquid to put a pork shoulder in a crock pot. You do need liquid to put anything in a pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What else is in the pressure cooker?

vegetables and liquid. should there not be? we just did this exact same thing with a roast the other night but it wasn't pork. should we take the vegetables and liquid out?

oh I misunderstood. Yes there's liquid in it. Should we add more? There's already 3 cups.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

vegetables and liquid. should there not be? we just did this exact same thing with a roast the other night but it wasn't pork. should we take the vegetables and liquid out?

oh I misunderstood. Yes there's liquid in it. Should we add more? There's already 3 cups.

One time my pressure valve got stuck, mess around with it to unstuck it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took everything out, cleaned the bottom of the pot really well and put it back in and now it's still saying burn food but it's reached pressure. Am I good?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

I took everything out, cleaned the bottom of the pot really well and put it back in and now it's still saying burn food but it's reached pressure. Am I good?

When there's not enough thin cooking liquid in the Instant Pot, it may not be able to generate enough steam to come up to pressure. The bottom of the pot will become too hot, thus triggering the “Burn” code.

Only thing I came up with googling

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently stopping it and putting more water in. It's a pretty big roast. I think maybe the fat made the liquid too thick?]

there's actually a lot of liquid, I don't want to add more. I don't know. I'm just putting it back on and if it gets to pressure and still says it then I'm just gonna let it go. Maybe I just put too big a roast in there.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 9, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did you brown anything in the IP before trying to pressure cook? That's a fairly reliable way to get the BURN warning on our 8 qt.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you brown anything in the IP before trying to pressure cook? That's a fairly reliable way to get the BURN warning on our 8 qt.

Yep we seared the roast. It's back up to pressure but says BURN FOOD again. Just gonna let it ride for an hour, I think maybe the starch from the potatoes + fat thickened the liquid too much and/or searing the roast has tripped it out in some way.

could not having the outside bottom dry properly cause this? Maybe it's that too. UGH my precious roast

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 9, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The outside bottom of the pot that goes into the IP? That should always be dry otherwise you can ruin the heating coils in the bottom.

I feel for you. My wife ran into it once and after getting BURN several times for a meal she and the IP don't get along any more. It's a pain, but my suggestion would be to take everything out, clean the pot, run it under cool water to cool it off, then put everything back in.

Sorry you're having a crappy experience. :(

[edit: I now sear things in a separate pan if I'm going to use the IP, unless it's something basic like onions or something. No meat.]

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well now I'm anxious about my coils. :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

franco posted:

I was looking up some Instant Pot stuff, ended up on a bit of a YouTube dive and came across 7 BASIC Instant Pot Recipes - Perfect for Beginners! I'm still not quite sure if I'm being trolled.

Finally watched this, it's so dumb. I like how she pours rice into a steel measuring cup then pours it into a glass measuring cup - the extra step is important.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I've never seen a Burn warning with my 6qt IP, but get them occasionally in the 8qt version. I'm guessing it has a bigger heating element to support the larger size, and that makes it more prone to overheating before getting a good boil going (and then pressurizing, and turning down the heat). If adding more liquid isn't feasible, try heating the pot on the stove while stirring it. Once it's close to a boil, move it back to the IP and restart: it should pressurize & seal quickly and avoid turning off again.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah I have the 8qt and I never got the burn thing either, but like I said, one time my valve at the top got stuck open and would not seal, but then I just fiddled with it and it sealed back up. But then again I never sear in the thing either, just basically use it to get tough meats to be tender quick. I always pre sear on the stovetop If I have anything. I find when I did try to do some stuff like onions in there, it was tough to do since there is only one setting and it got way too hot too quick IMO.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah the instant pot should not really be used for searing. they advertise the feature but it’s not good at it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suggestions on beef and barley? I was probably going to pressure cook some beef chuck and a half cup of barley with some onions and carrots together, maybe some bay leaves and cumin. Is that how beef and barley works?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 9, 2020

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pollyanna posted:

Suggestions on beef and barley? I was probably going to pressure cook some beef chuck and a half cup of barley with some onions and carrots together, maybe some bay leaves and cumin. Is that how beef and barley works?
I made the one from the Serious Eats cookbook a few weeks ago, and it turned out amazing. I'd guess it's probably on their website too, but I can't check right now.

But yes, as I recall it was a fairly simple affair - some cut-up beef (I used boneless spare rib meat), some Pearled barley, onion, celery, tomato, and tomato paste. The recipe calls for marmite, which is hard to find in the Deep South, so we substituted a bit of soy sauce.

The final result was wonderful. If anything, it tasted a little too tomato-y and was slightly thicker than I'd expected, so I might go easier on the tomato paste next time.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/pressure-cooker-beef-barley-soup-recipe.html

I'm not sure which you used, but this one is great (and doesn't have any tomato). I made it before - I can't remember if it was the stovetop or Pressure Cooker version, but it came out delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I have a pork shoulder roast in my pressure cooker and we turned it on to cook and it just sat there for like 30 minutes and said 'BURN FOOD' without ever coming up to pressure and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

How much liquid is in there?

Edit: oh what the gently caress mobile, there's a whole nother page of responses.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What steaming baskets are you using in the IP? I was looking for some that would fit and had no luck.

Just an ordinary bamboo one I bought some time ago in an Asian supermarket. Mind you I have the 8qt IP which just about fits the 20cm diameter basket which in turn fits 4 buns.

Edit:

Trabant posted:

As in store-bought frozen buns or something you made and froze?

Store bought, I browsed the new Asian supermarket and couldn't resist. The only time I attempted to make my own Bao buns it resulted in a shameful display of deflated lumps of dough...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 9, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Should chicken skin be removed from legs and thighs before going into a pressure cooker?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

franco posted:

And speaking of pale and sad (and grey), my favourite: Ground Beef! Words fail me.

This is so disturbing and bad that I fear YouTube is going to start pushing Jordan Peterson videos at me after having watched it. No seasoning, and why are you basically boiling ground beef when there's a sear function right there? Come on!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is so disturbing and bad that I fear YouTube is going to start pushing Jordan Peterson videos at me after having watched it. No seasoning, and why are you basically boiling ground beef when there's a sear function right there? Come on!

call mulder while i check out that grey alien mass that she cooked up

droll posted:

Should chicken skin be removed from legs and thighs before going into a pressure cooker?

depends on if you like the skin when it's not crispy. sometimes i'm not wild about it but other times its ok.

you can sear the chicken for a bit to render out the fat first, which can help with that flabby skin experience

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you know a better way to make steamed hams I’d like to hear it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Boiling ground beef is a thing but it's browned first, then simmered to further break down the meat into a finer texture for sloppy joes or whatever, it doesn't change the flavor. You don't drain the water, just simmer it away. If you buy cheap ground meat it sometimes has enough water to achieve the same thing.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

wormil posted:

Boiling ground beef is a thing but it's browned first, then simmered to further break down the meat into a finer texture for sloppy joes or whatever, it doesn't change the flavor. You don't drain the water, just simmer it away. If you buy cheap ground meat it sometimes has enough water to achieve the same thing.

Its hard to brown ground meat without it going to water anyway. I guess you can probably do it in small batches on super high heat? But who the hell does that?

Anyway I just throw the entire content into a skillet at relatively high heat but it eventually still oozes the juices out before the entire batch is browned anyway so its just like boiling it :shrug:

Then you drain all the fat away, because even the relatively thin 80/20 grind will still lave a ton of fat, and then you finally add your onion, peppers, whatever aromatics you want....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Pans lose heat when you chuck cool stuff into them. If you dump a whole load ground meat in a standard pan (non-cast iron) it cools down a bunch and the meat doesn't brown/water doesn't evaporate fast enough. Chuck in half or 1/3 of the proportion and it will work, you have to do it in batches.

Who the he'll does that? Probably a lot more people than you think...

Discarding the fat though...never heard of that.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
cook all of your ground meat recipes as a big hamburger first to make a crust on it. Then break it up.

Actually browning bits of ground beef is doable but it is not something you usually want to do.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Phanatic posted:

If you know a better way to make steamed hams I’d like to hear it.

For real though any other Maid-Rite fans in here?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Tried to make a New York Strip in the instant pot. It turned out like a roast and was dry. I'll use cast iron next time + hot plate next time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

cook all of your ground meat recipes as a big hamburger first to make a crust on it. Then break it up.

This is what I meant - is this not fairly common? If I'm making chili or even lasagna or something I'll make a burg, brown it, then break it into chunks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

Tried to make a New York Strip in the instant pot. It turned out like a roast and was dry. I'll use cast iron next time + hot plate next time.

you did what now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is what I meant - is this not fairly common? If I'm making chili or even lasagna or something I'll make a burg, brown it, then break it into chunks.
I dont know anyone who does it. I learned it from kenji and never saw it used in any restaurants either (though I didnt have much occasion to)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

you did what now

Call him a donkey at least :cmon:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Been working our way through this book we got for Xmas

It’s good. Really liked the shrimp and asparagus risotto.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know who does or doesn't cook ground meat like a burger but I always have. Plonk it down in the pan, crust one side, flip and crust the other, then break it up. Once browned, if I want a finer texture (which I often do) I add about 3/4 cup water or beer and simmer until the water evaporates while occasionally poking at the beef. Leaves you with small granules of browned beef.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Plus it's fun just to work on your burg technique. Like when you break an egg and practice separating it even if you don't have to, and dump both the white and yolk into the bowl.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

excellent bird guy posted:

Jesus fuckin christ

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drive-by steak troll

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ there's so many disgusting videos of people making IP pot roast on YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Hopper posted:

Discarding the fat though...never heard of that.

That's what Hamburger Helper and McCormick Chili Seasoning and the like tell you to do, which is how thought you were supposed to cook ground beef until fairly recently.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Been working our way through this book we got for Xmas

It’s good. Really liked the shrimp and asparagus risotto.

Amazon recommended this the other day and I almost bought it.