Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Len posted:

Plus then you get all the fantastic games on the Switch and not just Civ

I personally think the Switch Lite is a bad waste of money though and would suggest springing for the red box full model Switch

Thanks, am I right in thinking there is a newer generation with improved battery life now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks, am I right in thinking there is a newer generation with improved battery life now?

That's the $300 Switch in an all red box

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would suggest that if you are looking for a mobile device, the Switch Lite is absolutely worth the money. If you ever plan on playing multiplayer, or docked to a tv, however, yeah get the new model switch (in the red box).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I would suggest that if you are looking for a mobile device, the Switch Lite is absolutely worth the money. If you ever plan on playing multiplayer, or docked to a tv, however, yeah get the new model switch (in the red box).

Have they determined whether Switch Lite can get drift though? Because you can get extra joycons but if your switch lite drifts you have to send in the whole unit.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If the switch can get drift then the lite will too.

I think they might be close to getting cfw on the lite, but it'll probably require soldering and whatnot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Have they determined whether Switch Lite can get drift though? Because you can get extra joycons but if your switch lite drifts you have to send in the whole unit.

People are reporting they can, which sucks for sure, but spending an extra $45 for a joycon that you're never going to use otherwise (unless you spend an extra $90 for both, for multiplayer), just to use the switch while the drifting joycon is at Nintendo HQ isn't a great proposition, especially since the Switch already costs an extra $140 over the Lite.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Morpheus posted:

People are reporting they can, which sucks for sure, but spending an extra $45 for a joycon that you're never going to use otherwise (unless you spend an extra $90 for both, for multiplayer), just to use the switch while the drifting joycon is at Nintendo HQ isn't a great proposition, especially since the Switch already costs an extra $140 over the Lite.

Is it? I thought it was $199 vs $299. Also, Walmart has a 30 day return policy on video game hardware, and purchasing something with the explicit purpose of refunding it after you're done is about the only good reason to go in a Walmart.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Drift didn't hit mine until a few months in so beware

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GaylordButts posted:

Is it? I thought it was $199 vs $299. Also, Walmart has a 30 day return policy on video game hardware, and purchasing something with the explicit purpose of refunding it after you're done is about the only good reason to go in a Walmart.

Well that and the flat $10 discount on new release Switch games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

GaylordButts posted:

Oh, right yes I'm speaking in Canadian dollars. Still.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Len posted:

Well that and the flat $10 discount on new release Switch games

Well, I really hate giving Walmart any money. Though the bigger issue is that my favorite part about the Nintendo Switch is only owning one physical game (it's Zelda).

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
What's a good controller for my Galaxy s9+?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

To the guy we're trying to talk into buying a Switch, there's been multiple people in the Switch thread who bought the lite to save money and then regretted buying the Lite instead of the full version and trading it in/returning it to buy a full version Switch

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Len posted:

To the guy we're trying to talk into buying a Switch, there's been multiple people in the Switch thread who bought the lite to save money and then regretted buying the Lite instead of the full version and trading it in/returning it to buy a full version Switch

Isn't the Switch Lite supposed to be more of a 3DS replacement than an actual Switch replacement (despite the name)? It seems solid as an upgrade from a 3DS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CompeAnansi posted:

Isn't the Switch Lite supposed to be more of a 3DS replacement than an actual Switch replacement (despite the name)? It seems solid as an upgrade from a 3DS.

Going by the Switch thread it's for people who already have a Switch but want a second to "take out of the house"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

Going by the Switch thread it's for people who already have a Switch but want a second to "take out of the house"

Aka the entire purpose of the original Switch?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Aka the entire purpose of the original Switch?

Lots of goons with disposable income in that thread

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
OG switch is the way to go since it's the most reliable way to get cfw installed, which opens up all kinds of options like installing Linux or Android or other perfectly legal things.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Not trying to be a dick but there's presumably a Switch thread to talk about Switch things..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Not trying to be a dick but there's presumably a Switch thread to talk about Switch things..

Look man, a guy said "what the best way to play civ 6 on the go?" He's getting an answer.

But I guess this does interfere with the newest gachachat

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I honestly thought I was in the wrong thread for a sec there

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Len posted:

But I guess this does interfere with the newest gachachat

Yeah way to ruin the 8+ pages of straight gatcha bullshit guys

In more on topic posting, Rogue Adventures is a great little Slay the Spire-like game, I'm really enjoying it. Its not just a complete ripoff of StS either, so if you've got a mobile itch for StS and got scared by Google flagging Dimension of Dreams as malware, Rogue Adventures.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I appreciate all the help, thanks everyone! Apologies for the derail. In the meantime what is the best game I can buy for under £10 for my commute, genre not important.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bloons Tower Defense 5 and 6 are both pretty good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

New Leaf posted:

And I'm sure there is another thread for gacha anime tit games that dominate this thread for pages at a time.:shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I appreciate all the help, thanks everyone! Apologies for the derail. In the meantime what is the best game I can buy for under £10 for my commute, genre not important.

The standard recc for King of Dragon Pass

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

And I'm sure there is another thread for gacha anime tit games that dominate this thread for pages at a time.:shrug:

Android Gaming: gently caress you, this is the Kings Raid thread now.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

thehoodie posted:

What's a good controller for my Galaxy s9+?

Xbox one S controllers work great and there's an official phone clip that is amazing and cheap.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Does anyone remember an older puzzle game where you placed hex shaped pieces with animals on them on a grid? Each animal had different properties. For example, an elephant had high attack and hp but could only attack up and to the right and there was one animal that had low hp but could attack in all 6 directions. You took turns against a cpu placing the pieces.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Whats the current hot poo poo for super casual games on Android. I remember back in teh day losing my life to disco zoo.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone remember an older puzzle game where you placed hex shaped pieces with animals on them on a grid? Each animal had different properties. For example, an elephant had high attack and hp but could only attack up and to the right and there was one animal that had low hp but could attack in all 6 directions. You took turns against a cpu placing the pieces.

Everlands?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

That is exactly it. THanks!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Any suggestions for free games with no energy system or other reasons I couldn't just keep playing? Feel free to point me to another thread if the game's popular enough to merit one.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for free games with no energy system or other reasons I couldn't just keep playing? Feel free to point me to another thread if the game's popular enough to merit one.

How ok are you with gacha games and anime aesthetics? Girls Frontline and Azur Lane don't really have stamina systems like other gachas.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FredMSloniker posted:

Bounzy will play an ad after each round (though you usually get the first game of the day without an ad), and ad-free is only $2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oks6VsxUCmE

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Another Eden: Efficient (Lazy) Completionist Guide

Alright, I like Another Eden, but it can be grindy as gently caress. How to minimize that grind?

> Do unlock Fishing (1000 Year Ark), Do the Persona 5 sidequest ASAP, but otherwise focus on main quest, side quests, and character quests.

Why?

Most of the Episodes have that all-too-common Gacha mechanic where Relevant Characters = More Episode Specific Loot.

You can triple or quintuple your gains if you have a team of the right characters. Even the Another Dungeon areas give bonus Loot for having high Light or Shadow.

How do you get the right characters? How do you get Light and Shadow? Crystals and pulling for characters.

> Do pull whenever you can, IMHO. Because of the aforementioned Light and Shadow mechanics, even dupe characters are 'good', although obviously you want a nice roster of characters. So go through the game, have fun, pull lots of characters, and then, maybe, consider grinding the bonus episodes.

If you really love the maker of Chrono Trigger, hope for a Unit of Choice banner to come around and get Mariel. She can drag nearly any team through nearly any content through sheer weight of buffs and heals.

Re: Fishing: Once you get used to it, you can fish without looking at your phone very much. Easy to fish while you watch Netflix or even talk to other folks.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Much anticipated(!?) tower defence gacha Arknights is going live soon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.YoStarEN.Arknights&hl=en

You can preload the game but the servers are not live yet.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FredMSloniker posted:

Pokemon Masters doesn't use energy, so you can play without limit.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm hoping someone that is familiar with Korean/CN/ Indo culture might be able to answer this. In almost every gacha game my name is not allowed. I typically try Zotics first and then second is Xotics. Sometimes games say it's not allowed, other say it has inappropriate characters. What is triggering that? It's odd and happens in almost all gacha games. I'm posting because Arknights is the next game that does that poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Kris xK posted:

In more on topic posting, Rogue Adventures is a great little Slay the Spire-like game, I'm really enjoying it. Its not just a complete ripoff of StS either, so if you've got a mobile itch for StS and got scared by Google flagging Dimension of Dreams as malware, Rogue Adventures.

I really love(d) Night Of The Full Moon for a slay-the-spire type game. Great not to need to watch ads, just buy extra characters as dlc. Of course the big new update broke it completely on my phone, hence me being here in this thread - anyone got any good links on how to troubleshoot Android games?