Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Squalid posted:

that's good news at least. i'm suprised at how long this took to be honest, the fighting was really going no where. Haftar lost his gambit to take Tripoli more than six months ago. Really hard to predict where Libya goes from here.

Haftar is far from being in a bad position eitherway, his faction controls most of the country and practically all the oil and only just last week managed to take Sirte. Erdogan nudged Putin into negotiation mode to play out his Mediterranean game so everyone goes through the motions now, but under all that tensions are increasing, not de-escalating. Egypt and UAE in particular have been heavily stepping up their rhetoric after the "Turkish advisors" thing over the past two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Why does that WH attack video look like it was made in the 70s? Is that the current fashion?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well now that the plane thing is cleared up. Are there any generally recommended books on the history of the region (but particularly surrounding Israel, Palestine, Jordan etc) in the modernish-times, say Ottoman era and later?

I've been traveling there quite a bit this year and got to see and hear a lot of different things but it'd be great to better understand how we got here beyond the broad strokes I got from school or reading random articles here and there.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Well now that the plane thing is cleared up. Are there any generally recommended books on the history of the region (but particularly surrounding Israel, Palestine, Jordan etc) in the modernish-times, say Ottoman era and later?

I've been traveling there quite a bit this year and got to see and hear a lot of different things but it'd be great to better understand how we got here beyond the broad strokes I got from school or reading random articles here and there.

"The Arab Awakening: The Story of the Arab National Movement" by George Antonius is a classic and well worth a read.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Nick_L_Miller/status/1216383893533794304?s=20

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ham posted:

Haftar is far from being in a bad position eitherway, his faction controls most of the country and practically all the oil and only just last week managed to take Sirte. Erdogan nudged Putin into negotiation mode to play out his Mediterranean game so everyone goes through the motions now, but under all that tensions are increasing, not de-escalating. Egypt and UAE in particular have been heavily stepping up their rhetoric after the "Turkish advisors" thing over the past two weeks.

yeah. I wonder how far Turkey is really willing to go to back Tripoli. Maybe if the GNA was able to pull itself together and put aside petty grievances it could seriously oppose Haftar, but as it is now it struggles just to react to his moves. Every year he gets stronger while his opponents get weaker. Still Haftar remains very weak and reliant on Egyptian and UAE aid, I think against even a modest foreign intervention he would quickly collapse.

It feels like it will soon just be Misrata and Tripoli against the rest of Libya, and then Tripoli will probably just collapse in the face of any pressure under the weight of its own intrigue.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This looks interesting. I wonder if this is just an educated minority.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1216367444572409856

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Count Roland posted:

Isn't oil the world over traded in USD? I don't think (but please, someone correct me) this would be Iraq losing access to dollars in a strictly literal sense, but losing access to a key part of the US and hence world financial system.

I thought one of the biggest issues the US has with Iran is that they sell their oil for Euros?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

I thought one of the biggest issues the US has with Iran is that they sell their oil for Euros?

You might be thinking about this backwards, Iran went to Euros specifically because USA was giving them such a hard time and basically forced them to do so with their sanctions.

https://www.ibtimes.com/europe-pay-iran-euros-oil-abandoning-dollar-2681417

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nenonen posted:

You might be thinking about this backwards, Iran went to Euros specifically because USA was giving them such a hard time and basically forced them to do so with their sanctions.

they also used to refine a lot of their oil here iirc because Houston? was equipped to handle some flavors of oil they produce and developing that expertise themselves would be way more expensive than just paying the crusader capitalists to do it

I don't remember where they shifted to but it was a whole thing at the time

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Unimpressed posted:

This looks interesting. I wonder if this is just an educated minority.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1216367444572409856

I'm glad to see it, no matter how much of a minority it is. It heartens me to see any amount of Iranians who want peace and friendship with America rather than the continuation of the utterly pointless Bread and Circuses conflict we've been stuck in because some rear end in a top hat boomers got embarrassed in the 80s.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TK-42-1 posted:

Why does that WH attack video look like it was made in the 70s? Is that the current fashion?

It's very obviously footage from an old movie with Trump's head added in After Effects.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sanguinia posted:

I'm glad to see it, no matter how much of a minority it is. It heartens me to see any amount of Iranians who want peace and friendship with America rather than the continuation of the utterly pointless Bread and Circuses conflict we've been stuck in because some rear end in a top hat boomers got embarrassed in the 80s.

There is no such a thing as peace with America, only prostrating oneself before the empire.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nenonen posted:

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the link, I knew it was A Thing but wasn't sure on the details.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The news that the Iranian military shot down that 737 has sparked fresh protests throughout the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E90FkyTwkQ&t

English translations in the captions.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

NEWS
Rockets hit Iraq military base hosting US troops: Reports

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...a8e-kG1efTtRLl8

I’m curious why this isn’t bigger news.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Snipee posted:

Its sunday.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Snipee posted:

1) pretty much no one wants a war, clearly
2) rockets means anything from fireworks to pissrockets to possibly some grads single fired or whatever, which is basically nothing compared to actual ballistic missiles, which were absolutely news worthy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

As far as I can tell it also isn't clear it was actually Iran.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014
Question for anyone knowledgeable about Iraq: Did the US army suffer more casualties fighting Sunni or Shia groups?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Snipee posted:

Didn't kill anybody. It could be the smallest military grade rocket on the market, and if it got insanely lucky/unlucky and made a direct hit on a guy going for a walk, it would be all over news.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't kill anybody. It could be the smallest military grade rocket on the market, and if it got insanely lucky/unlucky and made a direct hit on a guy going for a walk, it would be all over news.

Some would call it luck, others call it Strava

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The BBC has done a good piece of open source journalism on the killing of Hevrin Khalaf, the Syrian Kurdish activist who was killed in the opening days of the Turkish military operation in Northern Syria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93gFco7froQ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Herostratus posted:

"The Arab Awakening: The Story of the Arab National Movement" by George Antonius is a classic and well worth a read.

Awesome, it's even public domain! Although it's going to miss some critical developments since it's from '38 but that's a good start.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Check out 'the Last Ottoman Generation' for a pretty recent book about the last generation of Ottoman military and administrative officials and the role they played in the post-WWI Middle East.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Here's a good podcast episode summarizing the assasination of Suleimani and the aftermath.

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/OffTheHookah (episode 123)

It won't add much for thread regulars (though I didn't know Suleimani's funeral included ceremonies in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities) but its a great overview for people with a less than perfect understanding of these issues.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Behind the bastards did a podcast on him recently as well.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/qassem-soleimani-and-the-bastardful-history-55268117/

The Iranian retaliatory strike occurred while they were recording it.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Apparently the GNA on the Misrata frontline have collapsed and Haftar is making steady progress for Misrata, about 70KM away now.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ham posted:

Apparently the GNA on the Misrata frontline have collapsed and Haftar is making steady progress for Misrata, about 70KM away now.

where are you seeing this? I'm having trouble finding details from the usual sources. Losing Sirte was obviously a huge strategic lose for the GNA already, if Haftar can put troops right on the Misrata suburbs like he has in Tripoli I don't see how the GNA escapes cracking. They were really on the ropes even before this new development.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ham posted:

gently caress my life I wish someone would start dropping bombs on haftar already. I am sick and tired of these fascist animals gaining any ground.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid posted:

where are you seeing this? I'm having trouble finding details from the usual sources. Losing Sirte was obviously a huge strategic lose for the GNA already, if Haftar can put troops right on the Misrata suburbs like he has in Tripoli I don't see how the GNA escapes cracking. They were really on the ropes even before this new development.

Details are sparse until the international comunity decides how to relabel maftar. If he wins libya we cant call him a nazi etc or he will be a gaddafi 2 quickly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think the way Gaddafi 1 got removed more or less guarantees there won't be a Gaddafi 2 any time soon.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Rukeli posted:

Question for anyone knowledgeable about Iraq: Did the US army suffer more casualties fighting Sunni or Shia groups?

That's too complicated a question, and the answer won't be useful. It's something like asking whether the Iraqis suffered more casualties from christian or jewish soldiers. Relative numbers skew the raw numbers, lots of people fought for reasons other than or incidental to religion, and most of the people who care about the answer have an ax to grind.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Has anyone found reporting on the push by Haftar? I did some quick googling and just found news about the cease-fire talks collapsing.

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Check out 'the Last Ottoman Generation' for a pretty recent book about the last generation of Ottoman military and administrative officials and the role they played in the post-WWI Middle East.

Ah yes, I just read this one a few months ago. Definitely recommend it.

As for Turkey, Zurcher's Turkey: A Modern History might be a bit dry and textbook-like, but it is an excellent and comprehensive overview of Turkish history from the birth of the republic to the first years of Erdoğan's administration.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh. I didn't notice that you asked about Jordan, in that case I recommend checking out The Shaykh of Shaykhs by Yoav Alon. The framework is a biography of Mithqal al-Fayiz who led the Bani Sahkr bedouin for much of the early and mid 20th century and played a decisive and largely unknown (in the West) role in the creation of Jordan and the shaping of its political system and underpinnings of power, particularly as regards the alliances negotiated between the Hashemite monarchy and the bedouin of what was to become Jordan.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Ceiling fan posted:

That's too complicated a question, and the answer won't be useful. It's something like asking whether the Iraqis suffered more casualties from christian or jewish soldiers. Relative numbers skew the raw numbers, lots of people fought for reasons other than or incidental to religion, and most of the people who care about the answer have an ax to grind.

I disagree that it's like "asking whether the Iraqis suffered more casualties from christian or jewish soldiers"; the sunni and shia militias didn't fight side by side against coalition forces but were at constant war with each other. To understand the conflict in Iraq is to understand the history of all ethno-religious groups in the country, and that history includes the insurgencies waged, hence I asked this question.

But I think I figured out the answer myself (outside Baghdad, most coalition casualties occured in Sunni Arab territory).

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Squalid posted:

Dreissi posted:

Has anyone found reporting on the push by Haftar? I did some quick googling and just found news about the cease-fire talks collapsing.

All reference to this push hasn't been verified by actual journalists yet - the original sourcing was through social media accounts that regularly report on Haftar's movements and the Libyan conflict in general. It's worth noting the ceasefire was only in effect around Tripoli and it's looking increasingly likely fighting in Tripoli will resume from tomorrow since talks collapsed.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Snipee posted:

Because rockets ≠ missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

According to the Guardian, Turkey has already deployed 2000 of its Syrian auxiliaries to Libya in an attempt to turn the tide again.

Erdogan really is the final nail in the coffin of the Syrian Revolution. If you were to put a gun against my head and forced me to take anything positive out of this, I'd say 'Well, maybe this will at least take some pressure off the Kurds', but yeah, I'm not particularly feeling that, either.