Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

1) why when it comes to climate change, do right-wingers all of a sudden have problem with people making money/getting rich off of something? see also: "AL GORE IS GETTING RICH OFF LED BULBS"

2) do these people think there isn't MORE money to be made by polluting the planet?

Coal and plutonium are safe long-term investments, and if we move away from them their revenue (and all they know) goes bye-bye. If they weren't desperate to cling to their ways and had any sense to them they'd be jumping on solar and wind power as investment opportunities.

Also Solar and Wind power don't rely on you being constantly paid to dig rocks out of the ground, they make electricity for FREE! It's communist witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

1) why when it comes to climate change, do right-wingers all of a sudden have problem with people making money/getting rich off of something? see also: "AL GORE IS GETTING RICH OFF LED BULBS"

2) do these people think there isn't MORE money to be made by polluting the planet?

Conspiracy theory brainworms mixed in with middle class guilt and a healthy dash of FYGM, fed by lovely corrupt media and politicians and incubated via social media. "MY actions are killing the planet? But that would be bad and it's simply not possible for me to be a bad person, it's all lies and they're out to get me there can't be any other explanation!!!"

Conspiracy theories are incredibly comforting to people who are desperately panicking and don't understand wtf is going on and lack control over the elements which are impacting their lives. It's really really difficult and overwhelming to even attempt come to terms with all the complex issues at play around climate change but conspiracy theories give them simple answers with simple causes, and simple villains they can unload on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Around the ear surgical style masks don't provide a good seal. They are better than nothing, but a proper resparator or mask should have multiple straps that go around the back of the head.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Coal and plutonium are safe long-term investments, and if we move away from them their revenue (and all they know) goes bye-bye. If they weren't desperate to cling to their ways and had any sense to them they'd be jumping on solar and wind power as investment opportunities.

Also Solar and Wind power don't rely on you being constantly paid to dig rocks out of the ground, they make electricity for FREE! It's communist witchcraft.

From what I remember hearing a long time ago we had some pretty excellent people in the fields of renewable energy but they bailed elsewhere cause there was no funding for them in Australia. This was the early 200's though so I might not have my facts fully complete. If we have nothing else we generally have plenty of sun that could be used to make electricty along with a decent amount of wind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah once the Abbott govt went in, renewables pretty much crashed in the country.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
At work today looking out the window and see two fire units go by...

Cable Guy's brain posted:

- Mmmm... wonder what's going on... lets check the Victoria incidents page
- Yep... there's a fire icon down my area, let's zoom in...
- Mmmm now that icon's moved closer.
:raise:
- Zoom in some more... now it's closer...
- Let's zoom in all the way...

:stare:
- That's next door.

:stare:
Turned out to be nothing... probably a smoke detector going off because of the haze, and they left pretty quick. Interesting times though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah fire brigade's reporting usually 20 false alarm callouts overnight. Last night there were 200.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RandomPauI posted:

Serious comment, I'm glad there's finally going to be some decent rain soon. The sense of relief a bit of rain can provide is immeasurable.

BOM says we'll get some heavy rain tomorrow and Thursday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyOOyFknJ0

The bad news is that areas which have been burnt out are now prone to floods and trees coming down

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I put some money to this one but the Guardian says what the money can be spent on is legally restricted. The article links a couple of state government funds that sound more flexible

Legal questions complicate how Rural Fire Service can spend donated millions

quote:

The New South Wales Rural Fire Service trustee may be unable to distribute donated funds, including more than $50m raised by the comedian Celeste Barber, to other states or to bushfire victims, legal experts have warned.

But legal experts say donors should be aware that money given to the RFS trustee cannot be used to help bushfire victims or recovery efforts.

Under the trust deed of the RFS, money donated can be used only “to meet the costs of purchasing and maintaining fire-fighting equipment”, for “training and resources” and the “administrative expenses of the Brigades”.

https://www.vic.gov.au/bushfireappeal

quote:

An Advisory Panel, chaired by former Victorian Deputy Premier Pat McNamara, will consider and recommend where funds are distributed.

The appeal provides a formal channel for the public to donate money directly to affected families and communities, by working directly with local communities to inform and drive the distribution of funds.

The Victorian Bushfire Appeal will be conducted by the Bendigo Bank’s charitable arm, Community Enterprise Foundation. Funds raised will be used in a range of locally identified charitable areas to provide practical relief and recovery in the fire-affected areas.

https://dhs.sa.gov.au/services/disaster-recovery/accordion-11

quote:

The South Australian government has launched the SA Bushfire Appeal to raise funds for people directly affected by bushfires in Cudlee Creek and on Kangaroo Island.

Every contribution, no matter how big or small, can make a difference to those most affected by this tragedy.

It sounds like the Red Cross are also one of the better bets if you want money to go towards community recovery

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BOM says we'll get some heavy rain tomorrow and Thursday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyOOyFknJ0

The bad news is that areas which have been burnt out are now prone to floods and trees coming down

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/14/the-sweet-relief-of-rain-after-bushfires-threaten-disaster-for-our-rivers

and all the ash and debris goes into the already hosed up waterways.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jimmyraynes/status/1217021044524904450

And the last month summed up in 3 minutes
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1216674857586511873

And some context for non-aus goons

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1216849123627933696

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bandaid.friend posted:

I put some money to this one but the Guardian says what the money can be spent on is legally restricted. The article links a couple of state government funds that sound more flexible

Legal questions complicate how Rural Fire Service can spend donated millions

https://www.vic.gov.au/bushfireappeal

https://dhs.sa.gov.au/services/disaster-recovery/accordion-11

It sounds like the Red Cross are also one of the better bets if you want money to go towards community recovery

Thank you for your generosity friend. I can understand the the NSW RFS money being legislatively restricted on what they can buy with it, but it kinda is the stuff they need anyway.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

A few lovely pics from Melbourne.
They look weirdly clear, it was much smokier in person.

The only part of the Bundoora fire I could get to, at one of the southern points of the Plenty Gorge parkland area.
Currently the whole area is closed.
Keep in mind, there's regular suburban houses about 10 metres either side of frame.
On the plus side, there were frogs audible in the (now very dry) pond in the middle, as well as a couple of rabbits.
No idea how the kangaroos or echidnas that live there have gone.

Taken from Mt Cooper lookout, looking north over Bundoora.
Mt Cooper is the highest natural point in Melbourne, and you should be able to see for miles.

Mt Cooper lookout again, looking northeast towards RMIT (the big blocky building towards the horizon).
RMIT is less than 5km away as the crow flies, call it a 10 - 20 minute drive depending on traffic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gridlocked posted:

Thank you for your generosity friend. I can understand the the NSW RFS money being legislatively restricted on what they can buy with it, but it kinda is the stuff they need anyway.

Plus a massive cash injection means they're going to have a shitload of top-end equipment for next time this happens.

Because it's going to happen again :smith:

Edit: looks like the bushfires are affecting A Sport, maybe Smoko will start giving a poo poo now

https://twitter.com/ESPNAusNZ/status/1216943379507867649?s=19

Memento fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 14, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I really think the key point isn't our emissions, it's the fact that we export a third of the world's coal. If PM Nero gives ground on emissions, wouldn't that risk leading to "hey, we shouldn't be exporting this crap either?", which would be unthinkable for his backers

Covert Atheist
Nov 1, 2010

Memento posted:

I hope you can grab one but I've heard every Bunnings in the city is sold out of them

Ages back but as totally not an employee of this business in any way, this is the only good way lettered product has been used.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

I really think the key point isn't our emissions, it's the fact that we export a third of the world's coal. If PM Nero gives ground on emissions, wouldn't that risk leading to "hey, we shouldn't be exporting this crap either?", which would be unthinkable for his backers

It's also why he's probably trying very hard to ignore any kind of federal study that will unavoidably say "solar and wind power work at a surplus in Australia" because it'll lead that way almost immediately.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

A Good Username posted:

No idea how the kangaroos or echidnas that live there have gone.

I saw a wallaby or possibly a joey having a munch when I drove past last week. No echidna sightings. Didn't see any mobs of kangaroos trimming the nature strips or trying to hide from me walking to my car by hiding behind my car, and that's usually a very common thing. :smith:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Wombats do not help other animals down their burrows, if it was observed it was probably the other animal trying to seek refuge.

They are really bitey animals and not to be trifled with. It's very intimidating have one scream and molar grind and charge at you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wombats aren't bugs!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

It is too late to breathe, seek oxygen now

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It is too late to leave; seek a wombat hole

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1216863503979429888

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Smoke is really visibly and aromatically bad today in Bendigo. Had an appointment cancelled which is good cos I was going to cancel.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The cold front has arrived!

Temp dropped 13 degrees in half an hour, lots of rain.

Hopefully this helps put out a fire or two. Although it is pretty windy and there is lots of lighting so there may be some issues yet.

Should hit gippsland in an hour or three.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

drunkill posted:

Although it is pretty windy and there is lots of lighting so there may be some issues yet.

Yeah maybe a few

http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The sun was blood red this morning, the sky has been choked with smoke and now it's bloody hailing in the middle of summer. This is End Of Days poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah. Its the new normal. This is every summer from now on. :(

I'm actually surprised at our science minister (that we even have one!):

quote:

Climate change deniers robbing Australia of time to respond to impacts, Science Minister Karen Andrews warns

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/cabinet-ministers-karen-andrews-climate-change-time-wasters/11868694

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bogan Krkic posted:

The sun was blood red this morning, the sky has been choked with smoke and now it's bloody hailing in the middle of summer. This is End Of Days poo poo

Nah there'd be earthquakes an' poo poo if it was the end of days.

Edit: well gently caress
http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#!/earthquake/668422

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She's an ex-engineer; sometimes you get libs who came in from the industries and have an engineering background, they can sometimes to be a little more reasonable about acknowledging science.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Thunderstorm definitely came through Victoria. If you check the Citipower outage map, a big chunk of the state lost power half an hour ago as it rolled in, lol.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good air purifier? Looking at the Arovec AV-P152 and seems like a good bet for price and quality going by the reviews.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Must say this cold front so far hasn't seem to be the greatest. Some places seem to of gotten decent rain, but quite a few seem to of gotten basically none and just a lot bunch of lightening, which yeah, not ideal.

Hopping the rain picks up later. At the least it should fix the air up a bit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

Must say this cold front so far hasn't seem to be the greatest. Some places seem to of gotten decent rain, but quite a few seem to of gotten basically none and just a lot bunch of lightening, which yeah, not ideal.

Let's check in on the incident map and see how we're faring!

Okay yeah the SES are gonna be kept busy with that one for a while

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Any time I see "Other"on that map, I choose to believe it's helping some poor fucker out of an embarrassing situation.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Bogan Krkic posted:

Oh yeah, that happened in Adelaide late last year when the hills were on fire. There was a mild dust storm, smoke everywhere, the ambient temperature was still well above 40C and then ice just started falling from the sky. Made for a really eerie vibe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any time I see "Other"on that map, I choose to believe it's helping some poor fucker out of an embarrassing situation.

I like to think that they're rescuing a cat from a tree, but I suspect that's way less common than the cliche suggests. I dunno if fire alarms going off or fallen trees that nobody bothers to label on the map are a factor.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
incredible read
https://twitter.com/p_hannam/status/1217317047152959489

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo, and in my house we'd been saddened by the almost certain loss of the Woolys.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This is such an amazing piece of news, I honestly thought they had gone. A small bright spot. I really hope we get more good news like this.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Holy poo poo, and in my house we'd been saddened by the almost certain loss of the Woolys.
mine too, this is cause for celebration :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well the rain didn't so much purge the smoke from melbourne as push it down to ground-level. So now it's humid smoke to drown in for awhile yet :sigh:.