Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

right but i have to imagine he's intimately familiar with both hamlet and othello and like five other shakespearean plays. i...just can't see it.

Ah come on. Of course he didn't deliberately throw. $750,000 in additional money and getting crowned the GOAT? What could possibly be a bigger motivation than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sirotan posted:

Re: episode scheduling

At least on Comcast, my DVR guide says this is going to air tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday. Guess I'll find out shortly if these are just placeholders or we're going to 6 games.

My Dish guide only showed it being on tonight.

Spoiling for the west coast.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm really glad Ken won. It was clear he wanted this badly, and he definitely deserves to be called the Jeopardy GOAT.

I'm surprised Brad never got anything going. He had one competitive round but after that, each performance was worse than the last. The final episode he felt like a complete non-player. I was hoping Ken would finally beat him but not like this :(

The moments of respect and shade between all three guys on stage and on twitter was fantastic. James was hilarious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ken is the best, and owns, and this was a fantastic four nights of television.

If that was Alex's way of saying goodbye, so to speak, then, goddamn it, it was the best it could've been.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So it turns out Alex was wrong when he told Brad that no matter what he'd still be the #1 game show winning contestant of all time.
Ken now beats him by $84,978

edit: oh Brad still beats Ken in Jeopardy totals.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm a little disappointed, that wasn't really much of a competition. Ken kind of swept everything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

I'm a little disappointed, that wasn't really much of a competition. Ken kind of swept everything.

Right, because Ken is the Greatest of All Time and fucks up everyone in his path.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

packetmantis posted:

James was literally one FJ answer away from tying it up.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I feel like it came down to Brad sniping a few of James' Daily Doubles. If it were James and Ken 1-on-1, I don't know who would win a best of 7.

Online test at the end of the month :getin:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ken rules! Glad he took it home.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
The fact that Ken had to adopt James's strategy to beat him was pretty cool. I was rooting for Ken because I like his book but that last one I wanted anyone else just so we'd get more episodes.

This was really fun, most fun I've ever had watching the show. I like how these guys came off as lifelong friends. Not only the 3 best players but also arguably the only 3 people to get famous as a game show contestant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao imagine not rooting for Ken.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

imho Ken, now that he has rightfully been crowned the GOAT, should get the first right of refusal to become the new host of Jeopardy whenever Alex retires/croaks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

I feel like it came down to Brad sniping a few of James' Daily Doubles. If it were James and Ken 1-on-1, I don't know who would win a best of 7.

James is really really good, but this is how both him and any player who has a run wins a bunch of games. A lot of runaways happen because contestants 2 and 3 split evenly vs one having enough money to catch the leader.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sirotan posted:

imho Ken, now that he has rightfully been crowned the GOAT, should get the first right of refusal to become the new host of Jeopardy whenever Alex retires/croaks.

Imagine being crowned the GOAT and then immediately putting yourself in a position where no one is able to challenge you for the title.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm hearing this sentiment a lot, but the problem with that is Jeopardy is a 3 player game* and both Ken and James made it to the GOAT table with 2 competitors.

(*Watson was the 3rd player; also aware that Super Jeopardy had 4 contestants and late 70s Jeopardy eliminated a player for double Jeopardy)

edit: Duckman above takes the point further

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2020

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Part of a thread:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1217313634516230144

They're destined to do this forever:
https://mobile.twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1217312273355591680

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ken is the unquestioned GOAT because he recognized he had to change his strategy, changed his strategy, and still kicked rear end.

Agreed that he should be the next host when Alex leaves. I think he has the right personality for it, beyond just being extremely good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ken was always the GOAT. Eli Manning isn't a better QB than Tom Brady because he went 2 for 2 in their head to heads.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ken was always the GOAT. Eli Manning isn't a better QB than Tom Brady because he went 2 for 2 in their head to heads.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was rooting for Ken but I really thought Brad would win. It's easier to learn James' technique than Brad's level of knowledge. I still don't get what happened with him.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Like many I thought Brad would clean up as usual. I'm genuinely stunned and thrilled at this outcome.

What a great tournament and TV event. Since it did massive ratings I wonder if we'll see more prime time Jeopardy in the future.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Legitimately the worst part of watching the show. The sports questions are always easy as hell!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Legitimately the worst part of watching the show. The sports questions are always easy as hell!

I mean I think this about any question about physics or astronomy (or most sciences), and yet those are avoided like the plague and contestants routinely get them horribly wrong (see Brad's last DD missing Maxwell, which I would have gotten from the year alone). But I have advanced degrees in astrophysics, so those are categories I would wager everything I had regardless of the score because I have literally never missed one.

For sports, I'm sure that holds true if you actually, you know, watch sports. That's a category that's super easy if you constantly keep up with it, but it doesn't lend itself well to studying it as it's not really that easy to break down the way something like literature or history would be. You're going to memorize things like super bowl teams and greatest players of all time, but you're not really going to be absorbing things like years players were drafted. Case in point, I aced the Patriots category a few weeks ago....because I grew up in New Bedford so I've followed that team since I was really young, but I haven't watched baseball since I was 12 and am hopelessly lost on questions like that unless it overlaps the very narrow strip of things it's easy to study.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
the fact that none of them knew what the new Kanye album was called was hilarious

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JAMOOOL posted:

the fact that none of them knew what the new Kanye album was called was hilarious

HEll, neither did I and I"m terminally online

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I listened to that album and even went, "Oh poo poo is that the one with the mountain on the cover? No, there was a lovely gospel album since then. WAIT, or was that Chance??"

(It was both, actually.)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 15, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mean I think this about any question about physics or astronomy (or most sciences), and yet those are avoided like the plague and contestants routinely get them horribly wrong (see Brad's last DD missing Maxwell, which I would have gotten from the year alone). But I have advanced degrees in astrophysics, so those are categories I would wager everything I had regardless of the score because I have literally never missed one.

For sports, I'm sure that holds true if you actually, you know, watch sports. That's a category that's super easy if you constantly keep up with it, but it doesn't lend itself well to studying it as it's not really that easy to break down the way something like literature or history would be. You're going to memorize things like super bowl teams and greatest players of all time, but you're not really going to be absorbing things like years players were drafted. Case in point, I aced the Patriots category a few weeks ago....because I grew up in New Bedford so I've followed that team since I was really young, but I haven't watched baseball since I was 12 and am hopelessly lost on questions like that unless it overlaps the very narrow strip of things it's easy to study.

It's more that in comparison to other categories they're easier. I'm interested in all sorts of categories Jeopardy covers but say the equivalent biology clues aren't going to be as easy as the sports ones.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

JAMOOOL posted:

Ken's incredulous reaction to that was great, too

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

"gently caress I'm so good at Twitter I should KNOW THIS."

Speaking of being extremely good at Twitter
https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1217336405363290112

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

I'm hearing this sentiment a lot, but the problem with that is Jeopardy is a 3 player game

Well yeah, and DDs are random, so it's a bit weird to think of them as getting sniped away from James anyway. Also James missed a true DD and an all in on a Final Jeopardy and you can't blame those on anybody but him.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's more that in comparison to other categories they're easier. I'm interested in all sorts of categories Jeopardy covers but say the equivalent biology clues aren't going to be as easy as the sports ones.

That depends on how you're defining "easier", I guess. A question about a specific Heisman trophy winner from 20 years ago is much more esoteric even within the sports community than knowing the Galilean moons in astronomy (both were $1000 clues in their respective categories fairly recently). I define "easy" in terms of depth and obscurity within the category, to try to remove the personal subjectivity. I argue that sports dives much deeper for its clues, whereas science categories tend to always pull from a pretty narrow set of events, people, and concepts; I'd love to go through the physics and math categories and count up the number of times Newton v Leibniz has come up, it feels like there's a clue about them once a month at least.

The one exception might be stuff like human anatomy, where I'd rank things like knowing the islets of Langerhans for insulin production alongside some obscure basketball player who set a record in some season in the 90s, but it's rare that science categories go beyond stuff covered in a high school level course.

Though I'd still argue that the anatomy category lends itself to systematic study to shore up that weakness. Sports is a lot like current events, where you're either absorbing it in your life or you aren't, it's not a category that lends it to studying because it's constantly evolving and by its nature always has really, really specific clues and it's hard to pick out what to study. You're also going to pick up the most basic biology if you finished high school (or watch the show regularly and pick up that they always ask about the same dozen things periodically), but you can easily get into your 40s without having ever paid attention to Stanley Cup winners. There are a few perennial answers in those categories (I can guess "Wayne Gretzky" for any hockey question and probably be right 40% of the time), but they're much less frequent.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPColin posted:

I'm not even sure he knew that happened. He looked like he was trying to puzzle out the idea of Kanye making a gospel album

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Ken's book goes into this stuff in some detail, he talks about how certain categories are not as hard as they look because they tend to stick to names that are well-known in those fields, therefore you only have to memorize a few things. For example if a clue begins "this Spanish philosopher..." there's only gonna be like 2 possible answers.

btw what I find hilarious about nobody knowing the Kanye question is the fact that this is exactly the sort of thing that would bother Kanye for months on end

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Island Nation posted:

I'm not even sure he knew that happened. He looked like he was trying to puzzle out the idea of Kanye making a gospel album

If I wasn't always in CSPAM I probably wouldn't have been aware of it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JAMOOOL posted:

Ken's book goes into this stuff in some detail, he talks about how certain categories are not as hard as they look because they tend to stick to names that are well-known in those fields, therefore you only have to memorize a few things. For example if a clue begins "this Spanish philosopher..." there's only gonna be like 2 possible answers.

btw what I find hilarious about nobody knowing the Kanye question is the fact that this is exactly the sort of thing that would bother Kanye for months on end

Yeah. Watching from home it’s amazing how often I think “well, who’s the one that I know?” And it ends up being correct

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I define "easy" in terms of depth and obscurity within the category, to try to remove the personal subjectivity.

That's what I said.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's what I said.

Not really, but ok :shrug:. I've been providing specific examples of why this is the exact opposite of what you said, do you have anything more than "I think biology is hard" to support this?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think biology is hard - that's why I gave it as an example. I was saying as someone interested and knowledgeable in both the sports questions tend to be easier than the biology ones. I get it they're nerds but giving "What are the Colorado Rockies?" as a response to a football clue is a joke.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The next tournament should be Ken vs Andy Richter vs Wolf Blitzer. Wolf begins each round with ten thousand dollars and Ken's buzzer is suspended above his head so he must jump and fully extend his arm + fingers to slap it.

Ken would still walk away with it even if he never touched the buzzer.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The next tournament should be Ken vs Andy Richter vs Wolf Blitzer. Wolf begins each round with ten thousand dollars and Ken's buzzer is suspended above his head so he must jump and fully extend his arm + fingers to slap it.