Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Has Anyone grabbed an sr75 Samsung yet? 144hz with freesync, va, 2k and a great swivel screen, and apparently after calibration it's as good as a va can get? https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/space-sr75

They're going for $220 open box at Bestbuy, and doing a pair of these for under $500 out of the door Seems REALLY HARD TO SAY NO TO HELP ME.

Edit, also 10 bit color at 120hz?

Interested in this too. My current plan on action is to get a better monitor than the one I have now, but more or less stay on the cheaper (price) side and hopefully bump up to a 4K IPS 144hz some time next year or the year after that.

e: Just gonna stick with looking for a 27GL850B and debating if it's worth it right now.

e2: It's worth it, I got one for around $400.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BmhLFQo9Q&t=36s

drat this monitor looks great. Hopefully it's the start of mass market 4k 144hz!!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unless there's a new Gsync module, it's still deeply compromised.

Anything that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 cannot really properly do 4k 144.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im personally never spending more than $0 on another monitor with 2 inputs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Got myself a new 144 Asus ROG a few weeks ago when it was on sale. It's a great screen except for one thing: maybe once a week when I boot up a vertical column of pixels, usually somewhere near the middle, will instead display on the far right or left of the screen. Simply turning my monitor off and on again fixes the problem but it's still annoying and I was wondering if anyone itt knows what the root of the issue is. If it's the monitor itself I'll probably RMA but if it's a known issue with high refresh monitors or my GPU or whatever then I'll probably just deal with it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Got myself a new 144 Asus ROG a few weeks ago when it was on sale. It's a great screen except for one thing: maybe once a week when I boot up a vertical column of pixels, usually somewhere near the middle, will instead display on the far right or left of the screen. Simply turning my monitor off and on again fixes the problem but it's still annoying and I was wondering if anyone itt knows what the root of the issue is. If it's the monitor itself I'll probably RMA but if it's a known issue with high refresh monitors or my GPU or whatever then I'll probably just deal with it.

Common issue on that panel,you're doing the right thing

Carry on and continue brother

(I probably made the same post itt 3 years ago)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drat I was hoping it'd be something simple like re-adjusting the cable. Sucks to know swapping it out with another won't fix it either. Oh well!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

drat I was hoping it'd be something simple like re-adjusting the cable. Sucks to know swapping it out with another won't fix it either. Oh well!

I just toggle it on/off real fast before the PC even notices

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's the G-sync module being a notorious piece of poo poo. How frequently any given monitor will do that is basically random, but yeah, death to g-sync modules.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It was apparently a firmware issue that Asus and Acer were asking people to send in their monitors to their centers to flash. Of course some got mixed up and were treated as RMA's and people either got different monitors back or worse, a damaged one.

This was when the monitors were first out though. Apparently all new stock should have the proper firmware now. Yet there's still plenty of reports that it's still happening on a select few. I guess you can just deal with it instead of all the hassle.

Hell, some Nvidia driver bugs are way worse than that. (corrupted screen upon wake and needs an actual reboot)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I'm wondering when they'll fix the bug that sometimes makes the driver stuck in ycbcr output mode when waking from sleep. My display doesn't even support this mode at all, so I get to log in blind, get the nvidia control panel over to the secondary monitor and set it back to rgb, which also requires setting it to 60Hz (attempting to change to rgb at the native 120hz doesn't work, it just sets ycbcr instead). That gets me the main display back but at 60Hz, which lets me save/clean up and reboot, which un-sticks it and lets me go back to rgb @ 120hz after the reboot. I've had this bug appear occasionally for like two years now, across two different GPU's. :smith:

e: gently caress it, I'll actually try to do something about this. gonna start with an EDID inspection tool I think, need to figure out why it thinks it's ok to choose an output format that the monitor doesn't actually support

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 14, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I just got the 27GL850B and man...having this much screen is kinda mind blowing. That paired with its IPS screen - whew. I have to actually turn my head to see some things.

eames
May 9, 2009

I remember having problems with video playback when I temporarily ran a 1440p/144Hz and a 1080/60Hz side by side with a GTX1070.
I don’t remember specific details but it was related to the refresh rate the generally accepted “fix” was to run all screens at the same refresh rate. Is that still the case?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i think as of this moment that problem is fixed, i run a 144hz along side 2 60s, one of which is specifically for videos etc of which ill have multiples on different feeds (yt, yttv, etc)

no issues for me. similar card as you, 1080ti

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

K8.0 posted:

Unless there's a new Gsync module, it's still deeply compromised.

Anything that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 cannot really properly do 4k 144.

What do I lose with this?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tab8715 posted:

What do I lose with this?

DP 1.4a uses DSC (compression) to do >120Hz for 4k. It should be visually indistinguishable. DP 2.0 (not widely implemented yet, but coming in 2020 maybe) will do 2x 4k@144Hz screens without compression.

HDMI 2.0 can do up to 4k@120Hz by dropping to 4:2:0 color format, but can't do 4k@144Hz at all. HDMI 2.1 can do 4k@144Hz without issue.

So with DP 1.4a you really don't lose much/anything. HDMI 2.0, on the other hand, will have a noticeable visual loss and would be limited to 120Hz.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DrDork posted:

DP 1.4a uses DSC (compression) to do >120Hz for 4k. It should be visually indistinguishable. DP 2.0 (not widely implemented yet, but coming in 2020 maybe) will do 2x 4k@144Hz screens without compression.

HDMI 2.0 can do up to 4k@120Hz by dropping to 4:2:0 color format, but can't do 4k@144Hz at all. HDMI 2.1 can do 4k@144Hz without issue.

So with DP 1.4a you really don't lose much/anything. HDMI 2.0, on the other hand, will have a noticeable visual loss and would be limited to 120Hz.

DSC hasnt been really reviewed by anyone at 4k 144hz yet, so I would hesitate to say everything is gonna be hunky dory until it hits the streets. The reason it was left out in the Gysnc Ultimate monitors was the assumption that anyone that cared about color was going to run at 98hz (to get full HDR+full color) anyway due to the compression artifacts DSC would introduce. If thats true, and the artifacts are that bad/noticable, then it does not solve the problem bandwidth problem for 4k/144hz.

The LG may be the first panel that hits the streets and lets people test those assumptions.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So I’m looking to get a 2070 Super and pair it with a monitor. My budget is about $500 for the monitor.

I’d like to have IPS,1440p 100+hz, gysnc, good HDR, low latency, and a second input.

I’ve dug around but I can’t find anything, is something like that out or likely to be out soonish (next 3 months)?

Do IPS really benefit from HDR? I love my HDR on my TV, but it’s an LED. It looks like I can find a couple of monitors in my price range if I drop the desire for good HDR.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

DSC hasnt been really reviewed by anyone at 4k 144hz yet, so I would hesitate to say everything is gonna be hunky dory until it hits the streets. The reason it was left out in the Gysnc Ultimate monitors was the assumption that anyone that cared about color was going to run at 98hz (to get full HDR+full color) anyway due to the compression artifacts DSC would introduce. If thats true, and the artifacts are that bad/noticable, then it does not solve the problem bandwidth problem for 4k/144hz.

The LG may be the first panel that hits the streets and lets people test those assumptions.

So if I don’t want compression and still want 144hz how long are we waiting until this exists? Sounds like we are over a year out given the CES Announcements weren’t that great.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

So if I don’t want compression and still want 144hz how long are we waiting until this exists? Sounds like we are over a year out given the CES Announcements weren’t that great.

We need HDMI 2.1/DP 2.0 on GPUs, which will probably come with Nvidia's next generation of GPUs. Then we need monitors that support it, which will probably come late this year or around this time next year. The only actually good current 4k displays are the LG OLED TVs, which already support HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120hz, but of course there's nothing to properly drive them and you have the inherent issues of OLED.

Presenting Nipples posted:

So I’m looking to get a 2070 Super and pair it with a monitor. My budget is about $500 for the monitor.

I’d like to have IPS,1440p 100+hz, gysnc, good HDR, low latency, and a second input.

I’ve dug around but I can’t find anything, is something like that out or likely to be out soonish (next 3 months)?

Do IPS really benefit from HDR? I love my HDR on my TV, but it’s an LED. It looks like I can find a couple of monitors in my price range if I drop the desire for good HDR.

Forget HDR and you can do this easily. The Nixeus EDG-27s v2 is the default recommendation, it's got a lovely stand but an excellent freesync implementation and it's cheap enough that if you care you can either buy a good stand or get the non-s version which has a better stand. You CAN spend more, and the LG 27GL850 is really good if you can still find one at a good price, but in general the monitor space is in this weird hiatus right now where a lot of things are going out of production but nothing substantially better seems likely to come soon. Most of the CES announcements were unimpressive, and they tend to not actually be available for 6+ months anyway.

Not only does HDR not really exist on monitors, it's pointless. Monitors are already eye-searingly bright by default at the distances you view them from, and until we get microled or something you're not going to see anything with OLED level blacks in the monitor space.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have what may be a dumb question: I've got a 35" 2560x1080 monitor. I work from home and I've noticed that a lot of my days end with me having really tired eyes and frequent headaches. I'm wondering if some combination of the huge monitor and and not great pixel density might be a factor. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 24" 1080p monitor so that I can have less neck and eye movement and higher pixel density. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Have you turned your brightness down yet?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's possible, but I'd suspect lighting is a bigger issue. As has been noted in this thread before, most people run their monitors way too bright--try something around 20% and see how that feels. Likewise, you should preferably be working in an already well lit room, so maybe see about adding a lamp.

Additionally, staring at the screen continuously for hours is simply bad no matter what. Take a 5 min break every 30min or so to let your eyes rest a little. Set a timer if you need to be reminded.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Brightness was at 26, I've turned it down to 15 now. My lighting isn't too bad, I have some IKEA dioder's taped to the back for bias lighting and I also have a 3-spot main light with one of the lights pointing at my work area. I tend to stare out the window a lot but I'll try to take more deliberate computer breaks. Should I adjust contrast settings as well? I have it on 50 right now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I agree with the previous two, turn your monitor brightness down and make sure your room lighting doesn't suck. If it's all coming from a central fixture behind you, it sucks. I put some track lights over my desk and the difference to my eyes was amazing. Also some kind of subtle lighting behind your monitor(s) helps if they're against a wall

Another suggestion would be to try out the various "night mode" options that shifts the monitor to warm colors, either built in to your OS or with a third party tool like f.lux or redshift. Whether or not it affects sleep as many claim is somewhat of an open question, but at least personally it really helps with eyestrain.

edit: Sounds like your lighting is OK, so I'd focus on the brightness, try the color shift stuff, and just take breaks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sphyre posted:

And in 4K high refresh rate monitor chat:

Asus announces the PG32UQX (FALD): https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-rog-swift-pg32uqx-delivers-the-best-4k-hdr-gaming-experience-yet/

and LG with the 27GN950-B, which looks like the 4k version of the 27GL850B: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor
Aww just what the doctor ordered. Well other than the 5 grand it's gonna cost.

At this pace it seems like I'll have to suck it up and get a 27" screen like the LG and a pair of glasses. Actually 120 or even 90Hz would be fine too. But there isn't such a thing right now, is there? It seems that until this CES batch ships, there isn't any 4k >60Hz option, or am I missing something?

E: has anyone used the Philips 276E8VJSB? It's the cheapest 27" IPS 4k, if I'm not getting what I want it might at least be cheap...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 16, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
This is a long shot since I don't know your monitor model info, but could it be because it's using PWM backlighting and you're sensitive to it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Constellation I posted:

This is a long shot since I don't know your monitor model info, but could it be because it's using PWM backlighting and you're sensitive to it?

Never heard of that but I looked it up and no, it doesn't. It's an Acer XZ350CU.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

K8.0 posted:

We need HDMI 2.1/DP 2.0 on GPUs, which will probably come with Nvidia's next generation of GPUs. Then we need monitors that support it, which will probably come late this year or around this time next year. The only actually good current 4k displays are the LG OLED TVs, which already support HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120hz, but of course there's nothing to properly drive them and you have the inherent issues of OLED.

Forget HDR and you can do this easily. The Nixeus EDG-27s v2 is the default recommendation, it's got a lovely stand but an excellent freesync implementation and it's cheap enough that if you care you can either buy a good stand or get the non-s version which has a better stand. You CAN spend more, and the LG 27GL850 is really good if you can still find one at a good price, but in general the monitor space is in this weird hiatus right now where a lot of things are going out of production but nothing substantially better seems likely to come soon. Most of the CES announcements were unimpressive, and they tend to not actually be available for 6+ months anyway.

Not only does HDR not really exist on monitors, it's pointless. Monitors are already eye-searingly bright by default at the distances you view them from, and until we get microled or something you're not going to see anything with OLED level blacks in the monitor space.

Thanks for this recommendation - early on in the process I was looking for a monitor with great Freesync/G-Sync VRR but had trouble finding one which goes from 30hz to 144hz. I snagged it for $299 from Newegg.

Now to build the rest of the PC :)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mobby_6kl posted:

Aww just what the doctor ordered. Well other than the 5 grand it's gonna cost.

At this pace it seems like I'll have to suck it up and get a 27" screen like the LG and a pair of glasses. Actually 120 or even 90Hz would be fine too. But there isn't such a thing right now, is there? It seems that until this CES batch ships, there isn't any 4k >60Hz option, or am I missing something?

E: has anyone used the Philips 276E8VJSB? It's the cheapest 27" IPS 4k, if I'm not getting what I want it might at least be cheap...

Acer XV273K is 27" 4K 120Hz IPS with Freesync, no HDR. Alternately you can run it at 4K 144Hz with 10-bit color over dual DisplayPort cables but then it doesn't support Freesync. Was $1000 at launch, is like $700 now I think. At that price it's almost a reasonable buy - it's an okay monitor but not really great. I have one and it's fine but it's quite expensive for what it is.

If you want 4K 60Hz HP or LG are probably good bets.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 16, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Great post, this should be added to the OP.

Why is HDR pointless on monitors but not TVs? They’re super bright no?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tab8715 posted:

Great post, this should be added to the OP.

Why is HDR pointless on monitors but not TVs? They’re super bright no?

You sit much closer to a monitor and usually you stare at it for longer too. There's been several posters just on the last few pages on this thread complaining about brightness-related eyestrain even on regular monitors. Then there's the fact that Windows' HDR support kinda sucks still and that PC game support for HDR isn't great either.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

And also like I was alluding to, LCDs aren't very good at contrast, so you can't increase dynamic range on the darker end either, which is where we really need it for monitors. Your monitor right now is probably at 50% or lower brightness, you don't need brighter bright, you need darker dark. Put an LCD on black in a fully dark room and it's nowhere near black. We're not going to see actually good HDR in the PC space until we either get OLEDs with with slow enough degradation that reserve capacity can make up for it, or microLED, or someone comes up with the holy grail of a properly digital display with CRT-like near-zero persistence (as opposed to sample and hold, which everything else is and which is why their motion clarity can never approach CRT, even with the near-instant response of LEDs).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I tried using my C9 as monitor for a few hours and without HDR and enough of a distance it's fine but if you turn on HDR it's literally eye searing. That's why I hope there's more high end monitors that focus on everything but HDR.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

idk how it's legal from a weights and measurements perspective to have HDMI cables be so obfuscated in quality

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

K8.0 posted:

And also like I was alluding to, LCDs aren't very good at contrast, so you can't increase dynamic range on the darker end either, which is where we really need it for monitors. Your monitor right now is probably at 50% or lower brightness, you don't need brighter bright, you need darker dark. Put an LCD on black in a fully dark room and it's nowhere near black. We're not going to see actually good HDR in the PC space until we either get OLEDs with with slow enough degradation that reserve capacity can make up for it, or microLED, or someone comes up with the holy grail of a properly digital display with CRT-like near-zero persistence (as opposed to sample and hold, which everything else is and which is why their motion clarity can never approach CRT, even with the near-instant response of LEDs).

How about a laser-phosphor display? Basically replaces the electron gun with a UV laser.

https://www.prysm.com/displays/lpd-6k-series/features/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'll take 4

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

K8.0 posted:

I’ve never used a VR headset but blur busters reports:

quote:

Today, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive virtual realty headsets now already achieve CRT motion clarity via their pulsed rolling-scan technique.
https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KingEup posted:

I’ve never used a VR headset but blur busters reports:
https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

I buy this; they’re very clear in terms of blur imo. Semi-relatedly, I have so much less nausea playing vr games than literally any FP video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

There's been several posters just on the last few pages on this thread complaining about brightness-related eyestrain even on regular monitors.

Is that a thing many people get? Because the first thing I do when I get a monitor is dial it full bright and then grumble about it not being bright enough lol