Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

$20,000? Would that even cover injection molding tooling for the shell??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao if you think they are gonna have overhead for this exit scam

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Give them some credit, they could be just reselling a product already available from a chinese manufacturer.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Do they still make aibos?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Volcott posted:

Do they still make aibos?

Afaik yea, but only a $2900 version with a cloud subscription.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Somfin posted:

Isn't "run" defined as having 0 points of contact with the ground at some point during the movement? Like, there was a massive deal a while back when one of the robotics companies finally built something that could actually run.

I thought that only counts for speed walking fouls?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

senrath posted:

Afaik yea, but only a $2900 version with a cloud subscription.

I thought you were joking, but this is literally the case (and it can't be sold in Illinois).

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
Why does the cat have a puckered butt hole for a mouth?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

Give them some credit, they could be just reselling a product already available from a chinese manufacturer.

Or raising almost a million for a remake of an areopress coffee plunger

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hribarcain/coffeejacktm-the-pocket-sized-barista?utm_source=thisiswhyimbroke.com&utm_medium=referral

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Until all those backers have a lovely $40 Sharper Image knockoff robot, they still have ample opportunity to fail.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/1217259888272990213?s=19

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay so I don't know if the kickstarter itself is bad but this is just a poor logo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastwynter/staple-gun-a-card-game

They had one job.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That is an ugly rear end logo, and man, the guy in the video is...way too dramatic.

The description of gameplay also doesn't really give me an idea of if it'd be fun or not. I'd like to see more actual play, instead of just some dude tell me what certain cards can do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That is an ugly rear end logo, and man, the guy in the video is...way too dramatic.

The description of gameplay also doesn't really give me an idea of if it'd be fun or not. I'd like to see more actual play, instead of just some dude tell me what certain cards can do.

the logo also doesn't contain any staples

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

Pfh, that didn't even dawn on me. I was too distracted by how dumb it looks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zereth posted:

Dumber still is that staples exist that would still give them the finished gun shape

I am mildly annoyed with their Paperclip, Gun game

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I just really want more gameplay demonstration. I think that's their biggest failing. Because if it was fun, I could look past most things for a quick play card game. I had a lot of fun with Gubs, and the original release of that was not the most attractive.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

One of the cards has the word "pirate" on it which instantly tells me it's going to be pirate-ninja-monkeycheese crap without even having to play it.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Jan 19, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I just really want more gameplay demonstration. I think that's their biggest failing. Because if it was fun, I could look past most things for a quick play card game. I had a lot of fun with Gubs, and the original release of that was not the most attractive.

I browse tabletop game kickstarters pretty much exclusively and let me tell you that this one in particular doesn't stand out beyond the "lol paperclip" logo imo. I'd link some more interesting card game kickstarters but this is the awful kickstarters thread. A couple of buds told me to start following this thread more often because of how often I find bad tabletop games.

Here are some more traditionally bad tabletop game kickstarters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacebase/the-essential-tabletop-games-kickstarter-report-2019

quote:

The report brings together all this years successful projects and rearranges them to bring similar projects together. It also orders these by backers so we can see who's leading the way in their particular niche and who's up and coming.

Projects from the same creator are grouped together so we can see how they've done through the year and the top 10% most backed projects include details of the top 3 reward levels.

There are a lot of words on that page but to summarize what that project is, a guy is crowdfunding a pdf that lists successful tabletop game kickstarters from the year 2019. It doesn't contain any write-ups about the creators or the product itself, it is just a pdf showing kickstarters that succeeded in 2019 and some other info pulled from their respective pages. I think the only straight up original thing the guy did was create a chart showing what people backed for what tier, but even that isn't necessarily useful because he says it will only show that info for the top 10% most successful kickstarters and it only checks 3 of the pledge tiers. This is the example he posted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bOSnUC5DoJ8wwbKZ1lBZCRLLKlIhxPKQ/view

As for another traditionally bad kickstarter example, this one's a bit tougher to grasp at the start.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goatdice/goat-dice-changing-the-way-we-roll

So the dice in question are legit, they are real, they are a thing that can be made, but they needed to be done by hand. The first red flags went up when the guy in charge of the kickstarter showed that his plans were to make each one by hand and ship them out, staggering out the shipping through various dedicated shipping times for the next several years. Each tier was for a particular delivery time. However, the money he was asking for and the amount of backers he received meant that he'd likely have to quit his job and work on these dice full time in order to get them shipped out, what with the insistence on making each one by hand. Eventually that got fixed by him saying something about using some of the money to hire others to help in making them, still by hand. The kickstarter went on and got overfunded and was very successful.

The second red flag was that the dude kept talking about having trouble getting the master dice done for mold making. This was confusing people because the kind of dice he was making were dice that would require very specific molds to make on account of needing to be hollow, but he kept talking about how the masters he got from 3D printers weren't good and there were a lot of other manufacturing concerns at this point, stuff about pouring molds vs 3D printed among many others. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details for this part but this all made way for the final red flag and really the killing blow to the kickstarter.

In the week or so leading up to it ending, people started sharing some important news. The guy who made the kickstarter, James Holcombe, whose profile listed him as living in Florida, happened to share a name with another James Holcombe who resided in Florida and who had been sentenced to 10 years in prison for racketeering.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180810/ormond-commission-candidate-found-guilty-of-racketeering
https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181023/former-ormond-commission-candidate-gets-10-years-for-racketeering

So Kickstarter actually cancelled his kickstarter, which surprised me. I'm glad it was cancelled though because that was a lot of money that would have gone into the pocket of a scammer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Those dice are cool, but yeah it seems to be something more suited to an etsy store than a Kickstarter.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1783513671/war-of-hacker

You guys ready to become glory?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Those dice are cool, but yeah it seems to be something more suited to an etsy store than a Kickstarter.

Who needs to worry about kickstarter fulfillment if you're going to prison :v:

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

This is a powerful jihad

Everyone is working hard to get the glory of the first place

Not for money, not why friends, but glory

This is a war

The winner only one

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kickstarter successfully unionized today, hopefully i's a more successful project than the overwhelming majority of ones that come from their website. :toot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Kickstarter successfully unionized today, hopefully i's a more successful project than the overwhelming majority of ones that come from their website. :toot:

That kicks so much rear end. :toot: indeed

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In case any of you have ever wanted a device where, once compromised because the company folds and stops updating it, it can burn down your house, here's an IoT candle with real flame.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nighthand posted:

In case any of you have ever wanted a device where, once compromised because the company folds and stops updating it, it can burn down your house, here's an IoT candle with real flame.

someone help me budget my family is dying!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Of all the bad kickstarters, this one comes off as a remarkably terrible idea. It's just an igniter, you still have to extinguish the candle manually. You have to buy wax refills, but of course they can't just be any candle. No button to use it without the app, although I guess you might assume you can still use a lighter.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

you can still use a lighter.

What are you, a barbarian? Buy the subscription!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lighters are unsafe to keep in your house.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Love how they harp on about how safe it is like most people are lighting candles like they're in one of those dumb infomercials, when the real reason why candles are dangerous is cause dumbasses forget to put em out. Where's the Kickstarter for that huh??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The real safety improvement would be an active extinguisher timer, input your password every ten minutes to keep your candle safely lit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
aka the Lost Candle.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Lighting a candle remotely is such a terrible, terrible idea. Oops I didn't notice grandpa took it off the side table and put on the floor by the pile of old magazines, there goes the neighborhood.

And IoT garbage is always terrible with security, it is bad enough to have a toaster botnet but halt and catch fire to your home is beyond insane.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite posted:

Lighting a candle remotely is such a terrible, terrible idea. Oops I didn't notice grandpa took it off the side table and put on the floor by the pile of old magazines, there goes the neighborhood.

I'm pretty sure that's the plot of some CSI show.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real safety improvement would be an active extinguisher timer, input your password every ten minutes to keep your candle safely lit.

A dead... living man's switch?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

So they want to provide a item which could technically be modified easily into a remote detonation device.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Shame they went the hipster route with the video. They really should have gone the infomercial route and had some mouth breather repeatedly fail the Herculean task of igniting a flame using nothing but matches, a zippo, escalating to a musk weed burner flame thrower and thermite. Gotta stick with your target market instead of fun, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tsietisin posted:

So they want to provide a item which could technically be modified easily into a remote detonation device.

But only for one of those cartoon bombs with a rope fuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the plot of some CSI show.

There's actually another CSI show where a hacker took advantage of a flaw in his victim's internet-connected printer, making it overheat and set the house on fire.