Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm half tempted to name it "Scientastic Chili" because his "anything to get the taste out of your mouth" reply in that infamous GWS thread burned harder than my chili ever could. Plus, goon shibboleth, maybe I'll make a friend.

netflix and chili
neither t-boz nor left eye
no chili rules
C.H.I.L.I. (not an acronym)
dempsey sauce
chili stew
chili vanilli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

I'm half tempted to name it "Scientastic Chili" because his "anything to get the taste out of your mouth" reply in that infamous GWS thread burned harder than my chili ever could. Plus, goon shibboleth, maybe I'll make a friend.

When having to name cocktail menus, I always go for a film or music theme. Maybe look into titles of Revisionist Westerns or Bluegrass Albums?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

LOL holy poo poo. I don't do the Twitter, can anyone backtrack to the original post? My mom was also an elementary school teacher named Barbara, and I wanna share this with my sister, she'll loving love it.

Story time: Among his numerous other faults, my step-dad was the world's worst tipper, which embarrassed the hell outta my mom. Part of my childhood upbringing was pretending to need to go back to the table ("oh! I forgot my LEGO man!") or use the bathroom, whatever excuse, just as we were leaving. Mom would slip me a few more bills to stick on the table so he wouldn't see and chew her out for it. Mom = class; step-dad = rear end.

Mom's in heaven eating the best food ever, hopefully my step-dad's rotting in hell subsisting on nothing but a tiny amuse bouche made of garlic foam (he hated garlic and wouldn't let us cook anything with it, I seriously only started using it when I went to college).

fake edit after preview: lol at some of those names, thanks y'all!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Chili Con Carnal Knowledge

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chilly chili

It’s just cold chili

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chad bro chili 17

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

When having to name cocktail menus, I always go for a film or music theme. Maybe look into titles of Revisionist Westerns or Bluegrass Albums?

Now I want a cocktail menu based off of Dead South song titles.

"In Hell I'll Be In Good Company" is a good chili name.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My last one in the restaurant unit I run was all Revisionist Western titles, but I’ve done event menus for Martini & Rossi that were ‘Silver Threads, Golden Needles’ ‘Black Diamond Strings’ etc. lots of album or genre themes as well. I hate having to name cocktails and I have to name and market hundreds of them in a year so it’s the only way I roll.

Edit: just did a Selena themed night last night, doing Clueless next week.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There are many famous chefs and restauranteurs that are great to work for. Unfortunately, that’s less that 2% of the “chefs” an average person can name.

Isn't Noma the biggest/worst offender for using stages? Like dozens and dozens at a minimum and the argument was that was the only way Noma could do what if did was with all that unpaid labor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I want a Heathers themed cocktail menu. I assume "gently caress me gently with a chainsaw" would be a tequila based drink.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Skwirl posted:

I want a Heathers themed cocktail menu. I assume "gently caress me gently with a chainsaw" would be a tequila based drink.

i'm pretty sure that's in one of my bartender's guides

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pentyne posted:

Isn't Noma the biggest/worst offender for using stages? Like dozens and dozens at a minimum and the argument was that was the only way Noma could do what if did was with all that unpaid labor.

A lot of Michelin starred (or otherwise very high end/well regarded) places are guilty of using unpaid stages extensively to staff their kitchens. What's sad is that there are still plenty of chefs and owners who will defend this practice for exactly the reason you just mentioned - that those places couldn't operate without unpaid labor.

To which I'll agree with what this thread has always said - if you can't afford to pay your employees, you shouldn't be in business. End of story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone is going to make a lot of money with a Tapas Train.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’m very proud that my restaurant does use international interns who are paid a living SF wage, are provided communal housing through their program and get to come work with us for 3-6months. It’s a really lovely and valuable cultural exchange for all and isn’t predicated on the bullshit toxic brigade and stage system.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

A lot of Michelin starred (or otherwise very high end/well regarded) places are guilty of using unpaid stages extensively to staff their kitchens. What's sad is that there are still plenty of chefs and owners who will defend this practice for exactly the reason you just mentioned - that those places couldn't operate without unpaid labor.

To which I'll agree with what this thread has always said - if you can't afford to pay your employees, you shouldn't be in business. End of story.

The worst is that those people are always charging absurd prices. Very glad that this is explicitly illegal in SF and no one I’ve ever worked for recently has engaged in these practices. Saison was one of the worst before the law passed here, including employees racing to the bank to cash paychecks before they wouldn’t clear and stiffing hella purveyors. gently caress Skenes.

I literally pay stages cash money for their time and only keep them for 1-1.5hrs. Honor people’s labor and time - all work is good work. I want them to come in and make sure they can do what they say they can do. That’s 1.5hrs of time on the outside and you’re goddamn right I’m compensating them for it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Someone is going to make a lot of money with a Tapas Train.

:stare: And that someone is gonna be me, because both my bio father and my father-in-law are huge model train nuts, my city is crazy about its railway heritage (we have a big honkin' museum dedicated to it), and I love making small dishes.

Seriously, if I could swindle the venture capital for that, that poo poo would go gangbusters in my town. There's already a train-themed "steakhouse" (worst steak I've ever had). We need a gimmicky train-theme place for the huge hipster scene here.

brb, writing up my Kickstarter

not really, I'm not stupid enough to open a restaurant

but yeah, if I won the Powerball lottery, there would totally be a tapas train

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 16, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I literally pay stages cash money for their time and only keep them for 1-1.5hrs. Honor people’s labor and time - all work is good work. I want them to come in and make sure they can do what they say they can do. That’s 1.5hrs of time on the outside and you’re goddamn right I’m compensating them for it.

Bless you. Personally, I've started asking for stage time to be paid at living wage rates at places I interview. Its my hope that employers see that and take wages seriously if they want me going forward.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Shouldn’t it be called a baoitzer?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Shouldn’t it be called a baoitzer?

Avatar/post combo is just :discourse:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

:stare: And that someone is gonna be me, because both my bio father and my father-in-law are huge model train nuts, my city is crazy about its railway heritage (we have a big honkin' museum dedicated to it), and I love making small dishes.

Seriously, if I could swindle the venture capital for that, that poo poo would go gangbusters in my town. There's already a train-themed "steakhouse" (worst steak I've ever had). We need a gimmicky train-theme place for the huge hipster scene here.

If you ever go to Prague there's a restaurant that delivers beer via train to your table.

The pizza is even alright, too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We got sushi train in Geneva!

https://www.sushitrainkiteki.com/dt_galleries/photos-du-restaurant-de-sushis-geneve/

ed: that Czech place looks correct though, if the trains actually stop at your table

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

greazeball posted:

ed: that Czech place looks correct though, if the trains actually stop at your table

They do! Place is pretty large too, about 150 covers I think, cheap too. IIRC 2 large beers and a pizza was around 8-9 Euro.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

would you be able to pay extra for an express train

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Kappa Sushi is a Japanese conveyer belt sushi chain. Your individual orders are delivered via bullet train. The food kind of sucks though. Kura Sushi is better and you get a chance at winning a gacha pon every so many plates.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The stage system is loving cancer

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

pile of brown posted:

The stage system restaurant industry is loving cancer

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Part of the entry is: give a name for your chili.

Ooo Mommy Chili

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Ooo Mommy Chili

You don't want to do this, Vox.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shooting Blanks posted:

You don't want to do this, Vox.

Yeah, Mommy Chili has been done before; you can't take that name. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844826&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I assume :thejoke: but I have the link.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Part of the entry is: give a name for your chili.

Only two I've got that haven't been said!

No Chill Chili
Chili Con Carnage

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Great time for stage chat!

I'm changing industries after more than 12 years, since I just can't stand it anymore.

I put in an app on Poached for a line cook spot at a restaurant my wife and I love next door to her work. The place is a modern, Chinese fusion place. I was honest about my job experience, and that I haven't worked in a restaurant kitchen since some prep work 15 years ago. The executive chef got back to me in less than 6 hours, saying that he too had a long, strange journey to get to restaurants, and asked me to come in for a stage Tuesday. Awesome!

I'm headed out today to grab some work shoes and pants, but what kind of shirt should I wear? Should I expect them to have something for me to wear?

Other than bringing my knife bag, should I bring or expect anything?

Other than the obvious "Don't do it!" "Get out while you still can!", any advice?

I am super nervous and excited. Thanks goons!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 19, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm changing industries after more than 12 years, since I just can't stand it anymore.

I put in an app on Poached for a line cook spot at a restaurant my wife and I love next door to her work. The place is a modern, Chinese fusion place. I was honest about my job experience, and that I haven't worked in a restaurant kitchen since some prep work 15 years ago. The executive chef got back to me in less than 6 hours, saying that he too had a long, strange journey to get to restaurants, and asked me to come in for a stage Tuesday. Awesome!

I'm headed out today to grab some work shoes and pants, but what kind of shirt should I wear? Should I expect them to have something for me to wear?

Other than the obvious "Don't do it!" "Get out while you still can!", any advice?

gently caress staging, but to answer your questions:

What kind of shirt to they wear there? Get something like a simple button down or polo of the same color; as a stage they will not provide you with uniforms.

Bring your own apron and pen.

Do what you're asked, don't lean on poo poo, be humble without being a doormat.

If you aren't currently doing something with your hands, ask what you can do to help anyone.

Be honest about your skill, and say so if you don't know how to do something rather than trying to wing it and loving up.

Be on time, don't ask when you get to leave.

Follow up after, like next day, with an email or text or whatever thanking them for the opportunity and that you look forward to hearing from them soon.

Most chefs will ask their crew what they thought of a stage and base a lot of their hiring decision on that feedback. Don't suck up to the chef, be there to help the line with things they need. You want to win them over too.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 19, 2020

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

Your best bet for what to wear is just send a quick email and ask the chef. If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, then if you have anything other than short hair, bring something to cover your head. If there's a restaurant supply store anywhere near you, the usual is just a pill box/skull cap, they're super cheap, you can usually grab one for $5. If not, for a stage, a baseball cap or whatever you have should be fine. A clean, single-colour t-shirt or polo should also be fine - I personally wouldn't expect someone who already told me they haven't worked in the industry for more than a decade to have or buy a chef jacket to come in for a trial. If it's a larger place they'll have a jacket for you to wear anyway, and if it's a smaller place there's still a 50/50 chance they have a laundry service for their coats.

Bring a pen, a sharpie, and some kind of a small notebook that fits in your pocket so you can take notes on anything super important. That'll be more helpful if you actually start working there, but it'll show you care, and may come in handy. It's also nice to have something to write on for the actual interview part of it, hours/wage promised, start dates, etc. Ask questions - about whatever they have you doing until you're sure you're going to do it right, if you get a few minutes away from the chef in between tasks ask the other staff how they feel about the place, if you're there during lunch service/prep time and you see something that looks cool, ask about it. Be aware of your surroundings, be interested, be enthusiastic.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Bring a sharpie

Not much to add to the excellent advice above, except (and this goes for all cooks, even the ones working now): wrap a piece or two of colored duck or electrical tape around any Sharpies you buy yourself. Because some fucker will ask to borrow yours, and you need to prove "hey you still have my Sharpie!" I'm fond of safety orange because it's easy to spot, even if I'm an idiot that forgot to pocket it after using it in a rush and just set it on the table.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Lets see.

Equipment: Something to write on and take notes. Non slip shoes, and a hat (hair/health department stuff. Better to bring a ballcap than hope they have a hairnet. Don't wear clothes you don't want to get dirty and sweaty!

Attitude: Ask questions, show interest and being engaged. Restaurants would rather have someone who gets it and shows initiative and part of the stage process is showing that you, basically, don't need your hand held through everything - yes, you'd be new and doing unfamiliar tasks, but how fast you pick it up is what people should be looking for. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Stay on the look out for (this is because you are interviewing a kitchen's culture as well, and a stage is a two way street): Proper labeling and dating on the walk-in. Rodents and/or insects (or lack thereof). How clean the space is, in general. Fellow co-workers attitudes, are they happy to be there or just toughing it out until they get to leave? Keep your eyes open and trust your gut; if something seems off, ask about it.

Not much to add to the excellent advice above, except (and this goes for all cooks, even the ones working now): wrap a piece or two of colored duck or electrical tape around any Sharpies you buy yourself. Because some fucker will ask to borrow yours, and you need to prove "hey you still have my Sharpie!" I'm fond of safety orange because it's easy to spot, even if I'm an idiot that forgot to pocket it after using it in a rush and just set it on the table.

In a sticky fingered kitchen I'm a fan of color-code rubberbanding all my knives and stuff I use daily as well. Purple bands from asparagus or whatever. Colored tape works well too.

The last thing you want to lose is your personal chef knife on a 1 hour stage.

Showing up 10 minutes early never hurts either.

As general advice, if you've been out of the industry that long, it would be in your best interests to research your state/country's living wage and restaurant pay scales for your area. You don't want to get stuck in at minimum, and you'd be surprised how much it hasn't changed in 10 years. I'm not sure where you are, geographically speaking, but there's a smattering of job boards that have good access: Culinaryagents, poachedjobs, indeed, and others. (are there any big ones I've forgot about?)
Its becoming increasingly common for back of house to get a tip share as well, (Its my sense this is more of a high cost of living area thing, but I'm not sure how widespread it is either)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s a stage so be prepared to be discarded immediately afterwards after giving them free labor because lol that’s how restaurants stay open in this lovely hellscape.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

This is all awesome. I've been "the food guy" with all of my friends and family for as long as I can remember, so I'll be really focused on shutting the hell up, taking instruction, and asking questions.

I got everything mentioned, and talked briefly to the chef. Other than having to drive like 40 miles to the closest place that actually sells slip-resistant work shoes, I'm as ready as I can be.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Bussamove posted:

It’s a stage so be prepared to be discarded immediately afterwards after giving them free labor because lol that’s how restaurants stay open in this lovely hellscape.

Including this! It's something I hadn't even considered until reading stage chat from the last few pages. Currently cultivating an appropriate level of pessimism/realism.

I'll let you all know after if my soul is appropriately crushed. Seriously all, thanks again!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Walmart sells slip resistant shoes as well. Also everytime I've ordered shoes from zappos they've been on my porch the next day.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don’t stage for free, get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don’t stage for free, get paid.

Oh, when you put it like that