Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

cyberpunk should be delayed to 2077 and then delayed again into a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes, but it's being held back by poor quality last gen hardware.

Not necessarily! PS4 and Xbox One games have the exact same assets as their PC counterparts but with lower graphic settings. We know this is the case from homebrew Switch, and how some games (witcher 3) have hidden debug modes that allow graphic quality to be changed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Not necessarily! PS4 and Xbox One games have the exact same assets as their PC counterparts but with lower graphic settings. We know this is the case from homebrew Switch, and how some games (witcher 3) have hidden debug modes that allow graphic quality to be changed.

all right time to crank this poo poo up to ultra *switch bursts into flames, immolating both my hands into a charred slag of flesh and plastic*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I just hope the Cyberpunk 2077 delay is used to keep the staff working at a reasonable rate, rather than trying to cram like 10 months of work into 5 months of delay.

Crunch basically works against development so it's more like 3 months of work actually gets done in 5 months of delay, followed by even more crunch to patch all the bugs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if ur being "held back" by a system that can run death stranding ur game probably sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

if ur being "held back" by a system that can run death stranding ur game probably sucks

I know developers who optimize and they're all cowards

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
if you're not leakin' ram you're not livin'

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ram def was holding things back at t he end of last gen though when it was 2013 and the ps3 had 256mb of system ram and yet gta 5 still runs on it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do new consoles use SSDs?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

ram def was holding things back at t he end of last gen though when it was 2013 and the ps3 had 256mb of system ram and yet gta 5 still runs on it

that's the pwoer of the cell architecture

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
With doodoo butt texture resolution and the lowest possible traffic density setting.

Seeing how all the things effect ram in gta V on pc was so cool every game should have that bat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Crunch basically works against development so it's more like 3 months of work actually gets done in 5 months of delay, followed by even more crunch to patch all the bugs.

Exactly this. Anything over 40 hours a week, is a significantly bad return on investment. There are developers last year that talked about 100 hour work weeks for 6 - 9 months, Bioware is the most well known of these.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

graphics are sinful

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Sony has said PS5 will be SSD only.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Graphics, more like grashits

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

games will eventually begin moving to 2021 out of fear of GOTY contender Rune Factory 5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cyberdevs simply need to frog blast the ps4s vent core

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

graphics are sinful

--Infocom

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

been thinking a lot about the implications of the phrase "dumping rear end" lately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

been thinking a lot about the implications of the phrase "dumping rear end" lately

DOOMP?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

new xbox and ps5 will have hard soldered nvme and everyone will be happy until they realise they cant upgrade their storage anymore

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

that's the pwoer of the cell architecture

unironically yeah

SeXReX posted:

With doodoo butt texture resolution and the lowest possible traffic density setting.

Seeing how all the things effect ram in gta V on pc was so cool every game should have that bat

i mean its a miracle that it runs at all especially with how resource hungry the pc version is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

even infocom games eventually succumbed to sin, what is this poo poo

we'd all be a lot happier if we stopped with the graphics

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

doug bowser: at last.. a weapon to surpass metal gear

*picross 3D round 3 emerges from the shadows*

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is gta still #1 on the steam sale charts?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed so it comes out after the new William Gibson book obviously

(It's a sequel to The Peripheral and it's gonna own)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Please also delay TLOU2 so it's not held back by lovely hardware too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’ve had a copy of the peripheral sitting on a shelf someplace for about two or three years at this point i should read it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i've never played a ps4 or xbox one game so i'm still wowed by the incredible fidelity of like, mario odyssey and stuff lol. i actually think switcher 3 looks really nice, not just "good for a handheld" but the art style really shines at the reduced resolution and gives everything a sort of painterly effect. the more verdant parts of the countryside in hearts of stone are really striking imo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games look good enough imo. I worry higher fidelity will create more crunch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

i've never played a ps4 or xbox one game so i'm still wowed by the incredible fidelity of like, mario odyssey and stuff lol. i actually think switcher 3 looks really nice, not just "good for a handheld" but the art style really shines at the reduced resolution and gives everything a sort of painterly effect. the more verdant parts of the countryside in hearts of stone are really striking imo

[timg]file:///Users/marshallowen/Downloads/EOcGp0gU4AAdwH9.jpeg[/timg]

take a look yall

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Someone please tell me Animal Crossing is safe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

i’ve had a copy of the peripheral sitting on a shelf someplace for about two or three years at this point i should read it

I legit think it's his best. I liked the Blue Ant trilogy a lot but it felt pretty shallow, and the peripheral was a return to more heavy material

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stux posted:

take a look yall

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Electric Phantasm posted:

Someone please tell me Animal Crossing is safe.

people say there's a Direct coming in the next week. So who knows

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hatty posted:

Nope, the coming generation will be the one to finally usher in cheaper, faster development. 🤞

(Unlike previous ones that promised and failed.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing more Xenogears, and at least parts of the soundtrack, a lot of it really, remind me of Chrono Trigger.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hatty posted:

it definitely will, and only make games even more expensive to make. thats sick i freakin love polygons

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the raytracing stuff will cause less work for lighting which will be balanced out by everything else

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its time for holograms imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

doug bowser: at last.. a weapon to surpass metal gear

*picross 3D round 3 emerges from the shadows*

hell yeah

I said come in! posted:

Playing more Xenogears, and at least parts of the soundtrack, a lot of it really, remind me of Chrono Trigger.

same composer