Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KiteAuraan posted:

Chokes, the advice about therapy is good and I'll try it next appointment (whenever that is, social worker and all).

Glad to be of help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I'm the union rep elected by my coworkers. I organized the crew and got everyone to join a union in 2018 and only now just begun collective bargaining. My boss, whom I considered a mentor and a close friend, I'm pretty sure she hates my guts, as do several coworkers I once called friends. I'm pretty sure I've put her into a massive mental health crisis, or at least exacerbated the issues with anxiety that was already there. We are a small business who barely break even, and with a Conservative government in charge of Ontario it seems like our industry has a massive target on its back. My credit card debt is only rising, and I make $3 less an hour than I did 5 years ago. Rent is only going up, and I haven't had a raise in 3 years. The business income is entirely based on contracts with small to medium sized construction and development firms, and there's alot of anxiety that unionizing will put us out of business. Additionally, the wages for staff are all over the place and inconsistent, so the coworkers who want my head on a stick are probably thinking they're going to lose money from paying union dues. The nasty emails they sent me were extremely distressing and I'm seriously thinking about quitting and finding another job, because I really don't feel welcome at my workplace any more. The workplace I'm trying desperately to save.

The good news is, we've also organized several other companies, and we estimate our union now represents 50% of Ontario archaeologists, with other archaeologists in different provinces calling us and asking how to organize too. We've dodged two legislative bullets, in which our government is trying to gut archaeology from environmental assessment requirements, thanks in part to the union who has contacts with the government. None of the other reps at other companies are dealing with this poo poo, their crews are 100% behind them. I have to constantly remind myself I'm doing the right thing, because this is getting overwhelming. I wouldn't have made it this far without my girlfriend, who is an actual communist. She's had my back the entire time and has never doubted me for a second.

I definitely don't have it as bad as some folks in this thread. You guys have so much more courage and balls than I do. I guess I just wanted give kudos to the folks struggling to survive in this nightmare of a world. Your pain makes sense, because the world is insane. Thanks for sticking around, because we need you, your families need you, C-Spam needs you and Bernie needs you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
dude you are literally facing down an entire hostile force while sticking to your guns and doing the right thing. give yourself credit for having guts of your own.

Im glad you have someone to rely on, too. I literally wouldnt have survived the last three years without my wife.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Archaic posted:

I'm the union rep elected by my coworkers. I organized the crew and got everyone to join a union in 2018 and only now just begun collective bargaining. My boss, whom I considered a mentor and a close friend, I'm pretty sure she hates my guts, as do several coworkers I once called friends. I'm pretty sure I've put her into a massive mental health crisis, or at least exacerbated the issues with anxiety that was already there. We are a small business who barely break even, and with a Conservative government in charge of Ontario it seems like our industry has a massive target on its back. My credit card debt is only rising, and I make $3 less an hour than I did 5 years ago. Rent is only going up, and I haven't had a raise in 3 years. The business income is entirely based on contracts with small to medium sized construction and development firms, and there's alot of anxiety that unionizing will put us out of business. Additionally, the wages for staff are all over the place and inconsistent, so the coworkers who want my head on a stick are probably thinking they're going to lose money from paying union dues. The nasty emails they sent me were extremely distressing and I'm seriously thinking about quitting and finding another job, because I really don't feel welcome at my workplace any more. The workplace I'm trying desperately to save.

The good news is, we've also organized several other companies, and we estimate our union now represents 50% of Ontario archaeologists, with other archaeologists in different provinces calling us and asking how to organize too. We've dodged two legislative bullets, in which our government is trying to gut archaeology from environmental assessment requirements, thanks in part to the union who has contacts with the government. None of the other reps at other companies are dealing with this poo poo, their crews are 100% behind them. I have to constantly remind myself I'm doing the right thing, because this is getting overwhelming. I wouldn't have made it this far without my girlfriend, who is an actual communist. She's had my back the entire time and has never doubted me for a second.

I definitely don't have it as bad as some folks in this thread. You guys have so much more courage and balls than I do. I guess I just wanted give kudos to the folks struggling to survive in this nightmare of a world. Your pain makes sense, because the world is insane. Thanks for sticking around, because we need you, your families need you, C-Spam needs you and Bernie needs you.

I think of talking unionization once I start in CRM in a few, then I remember I live in Arizona, where it is difficult for cops to be unionize and it seems easy to get blacklisted for wrong-think. You are brave as gently caress.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

giving your boss a massive mental health crisis sounds great, keep up the good work and don't sweat the small stuff

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Archaic posted:

you are a hero and I wish I had a tiny fraction of your courage.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

earofavegetaplanet posted:

giving your boss a massive mental health crisis sounds great, keep up the good work and don't sweat the small stuff

actually it is not cool to give someone a mental health crisis regardless of who they are

but I also don't think that's what's going on here

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Met with an old friend for the first time in a year, hes always been a real sweetheart but he hit a rough patch recently. His positivity is contagious and he helped me regain trust in myself. :unsmith:

Also, I've found it helpful when I'm down on myself to ask friends/family why they think I am someone worthy of their affection. It really helps put things into perspective and helps heal a wounded self-esteem.

The Archaic posted:

I'm the union rep elected by my coworkers[...]

It's a hard path you're walking, but you are doing the right thing. Your pain is real and valid. But you are doing this for a reason--hold to your convictions in this case, and I have faith you'll see this through. You can do this, and I am glad you have someone there to keep you going :)

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jan 14, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

S.F. Bay Area goons: Starting in February, Alameda County's Health Care for the Homeless Program will be offering naloxone training. If you are interested, please let me know and I will pm the contact information to you.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

earofavegetaplanet posted:

:agreed:

You should never let making your boss's job harder bring you down because they definitely wouldn't lose sleep over firing you and wouldn't be your boss if they did

You defending your rights and creating a secure environment for your coworkers shouldn't be stressing rhem out and if it is thats something they need to work on for themselves

Thank you for keeping unions alive

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Jan 15, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just got my payslip with my raise and I'm now making $27.84 per hour for a customer service role as a new immigrant. Plus they also pay over 9% per paycheque towards my retirement. This is in a country where minimum wage is pegged to inflation and will rise above $20 this year.

gently caress anyone who tries to resist unions back in North America is what I'm saying. The poo poo we have to put up with back home is unbelievable - Aussies would quit en masse.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
holy heck. y'all hiring americans? will relocate

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Consummate Professional posted:

holy heck. y'all hiring americans? will relocate

Sure, you may inhale deadly amounts of smoke but who cares, free health care.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sure, you may inhale deadly amounts of smoke but who cares, free health care.

so what I'm hearing is it's a wash

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chokes McGee posted:

so what I'm hearing is it's a wash

Ehh the American west is on fire every summer too so it's probably still a net gain. And it's not always smokey in Melbourne at least, only when the wind is blowing south. Here's today vs yesterday from my apartment:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ehh the American west is on fire every summer too so it's probably still a net gain. And it's not always smokey in Melbourne at least, only when the wind is blowing south. Here's today vs yesterday from my apartment:

You should ask the landlord to move that monolith somewhere else

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The monolith is cool, and my friend.

Also, worth noting, I've been attending drag shows recently as a means to support a friend of a friend who is competing in them, and it's a lil' weird, but kinda awesome too. That said, what the gently caress there's tons of drama and I don't know precisely how to deal with that part other than spending money to help people not feel so bad about whatever bullshit is going on. How do I live in a world where peace costs me 90 USD every Thursday!?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Jan 17, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Saw a few posts asking 'How do I find a therapist?' and "How do I know they're good" so I wrote some stuff:

The first thing to do is try to think about what you want to get out of therapy. Are you anxious and want to be less anxious? Are you depressed and want to be less depressed? Is the piss tape real?(Yes) Are you having relationship issues and want them to get better? Or, you don't know what you want to get out of therapy but you do know something isn't right, which is fine too.

After you've thought about the above, go to PsychologyToday.com and put in your city. On the left you can start adding filters such as insurance. You can also sort by price and if they slide (meaning do they have a sliding scale based off of what you're able to pay, which most do). There are also options for Online Counseling if you are unable to go in person due to any reason. (I would encourage in-person but online is better than not going at all.) You'll also see "Issues" on the left where you can pick something that speaks out to you. Most issues are related so don't worry too much diagnosing yourself and picking the right issue. These are professionals and they will know what the issue is.

You can also sort by theory. So if you've read about DBT for instance and really think it's right for you, click that. If you're not sure, don't worry, these are professionals and they will know what theories to try. All therapists you'll find on here will favor 1 or 2 theories of treatment but will be experienced in working in a variety of theories/methods so I wouldn't get too hung up on this unless there is something you're looking for in particular.

Okay I've populated a huge list of mind nerds, now what?

Take a look at their picture first off. Does anyone strike you as off-putting, or chuddlike? Go with your gut here! It doesn't mean your gut is right, but your gut is telling you that you won't be able to work well with that person. And that's okay. Don't force yourself to work with someone who isn't the right fit for you. Notice how on the left you can also sort by man or woman. This is also okay. And this may not be kosher for this forum but even if someone is of a certain group that you have prejudice towards do not force yourself to see them. You aren't doing anyone any favors or changing the world or ending racism/classism/sexism by wasting your time and money going to see someone you can't make progress with.

Once you've filtered some people out, take a look at their bio. Does anyone strike you as interesting? Anyone say something that really resonates with you? If someone sneaks in, "kids today don't have any grit," they're probably not for you. Conversely if they mention how powerful economic issues are in influencing our mental health, it might be working talking to said comrade. Once again, go with your gut.

Okay I've got 4-5 people that seem weird enough for me.

Give 'em a call! All therapists should do a free 15-20 minute FREE phone consultation. You will never have to pay for that phone call even if you decide to continue with them. Talk to them, be open, tell them what your reservations are. Then, listen. When they responded did you feel like you could open up to that person in session? Or did you feel like it'll be an uphill battle? If you didn't click with them, dump their fuckin rear end and move on.

I jumped in and have been seeing a therapist weekly for a month. Is my therapist good/is therapy working?

Great question. Generally I would ask you, "do you feel like you've been able to open up to that person, and how do you feel when you do open up?" If you've been able to explore things with them and you feel comfortable with them, I think that's good. There's no perfect metric because let's say you went into your first session wanting to work on your depression, there may be other things that have to be worked through first before the depression can be alleviated. Or if you're anxious, you might always be anxious going into session, it doesn't mean that therapist isn't good or that therapy isn't working.

I think in some ways it's better to ask, can I see myself growing in this space with this person or have we hit a wall? It's very difficult because someone who is just starting to work through some very scary stuff might start to tell themselves their therapist sucks as an excuse to quit. It's a tricky question but for me I could usually tell between 4 and 8 sessions if I could work with this person.

So ya jump the gently caress in and get your brain fixed. You can always tell them something isn't working and see if they can change it, if not, dump 'em and move on to someone else. That's their job. You are paying them, you are the client. And if you're unsure if a thing is you or the therapist, feel free to ask in the thread or if you're wondering what a certain theory will be like, ask away.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ugh I didnt get enough sleep, my doctor changed my medication slightly and it really seems to be effecting me, and its the absolute busiest time of the year at work and while Im holding down the fort alone (other coworkers are remote on Friday) my boss drops in and gives me a huge project that needs to be done immediately. worst part is the project is for this odious private company and an individual I despise, not the university itself, and Im honestly just on the verge of tears from the stress and exhaustion Im feeling

on top of all that Im really excited to present a paper at a conference in February but I havent had time to make much progress on it because Im stuck doing this stuff or being too enervated from work to engage in serious academic writing, and I have this mounting sense of anxiety that whatever I produce wont be good enough now that Im out of grad school and dont write very often. plus the conference will have a bunch of my academic heroes attending since the subfield my thesis was in (intellectual history of Marxism and anti-liberal philosophy) is extremely small and niche so the like fifteen actual PHD having philosophers will be there to watch me struggle and be insufficiently erudite

at least its a three day weekend so Ill have time to get through some of the gramsci I need to read but Im in this weird spot where I want to continue to engage with what I love, history, but have to devote my time to a full-time job and its just a lot harder to sustain those academic pursuits with that happening too

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bobtheconqueror posted:

The monolith is cool, and my friend.

Also, worth noting, I've been attending drag shows recently as a means to support a friend of a friend who is competing in them, and it's a lil' weird, but kinda awesome too. That said, what the gently caress there's tons of drama and I don't know precisely how to deal with that part other than spending money to help people not feel so bad about whatever bullshit is going on. How do I live in a world where peace costs me 90 USD every Thursday!?

if thats a lot of money for you, stop going

ive been to lots of drag shows but usually the cover is like :10bux: and i tip about :10bux: over the show, so if im spending more money its for booze.
dont go broke trying to roundabout help a friend of a friend

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thehandtruck posted:

Saw a few posts asking 'How do I find a therapist?' and "How do I know they're good" so I wrote some stuff:

The first thing to do is try to think about what you want to get out of therapy. Are you anxious and want to be less anxious? Are you depressed and want to be less depressed? Is the piss tape real?(Yes) Are you having relationship issues and want them to get better? Or, you don't know what you want to get out of therapy but you do know something isn't right, which is fine too.

After you've thought about the above, go to PsychologyToday.com and put in your city. On the left you can start adding filters such as insurance. You can also sort by price and if they slide (meaning do they have a sliding scale based off of what you're able to pay, which most do). There are also options for Online Counseling if you are unable to go in person due to any reason. (I would encourage in-person but online is better than not going at all.) You'll also see "Issues" on the left where you can pick something that speaks out to you. Most issues are related so don't worry too much diagnosing yourself and picking the right issue. These are professionals and they will know what the issue is.

You can also sort by theory. So if you've read about DBT for instance and really think it's right for you, click that. If you're not sure, don't worry, these are professionals and they will know what theories to try. All therapists you'll find on here will favor 1 or 2 theories of treatment but will be experienced in working in a variety of theories/methods so I wouldn't get too hung up on this unless there is something you're looking for in particular.

Okay I've populated a huge list of mind nerds, now what?

Take a look at their picture first off. Does anyone strike you as off-putting, or chuddlike? Go with your gut here! It doesn't mean your gut is right, but your gut is telling you that you won't be able to work well with that person. And that's okay. Don't force yourself to work with someone who isn't the right fit for you. Notice how on the left you can also sort by man or woman. This is also okay. And this may not be kosher for this forum but even if someone is of a certain group that you have prejudice towards do not force yourself to see them. You aren't doing anyone any favors or changing the world or ending racism/classism/sexism by wasting your time and money going to see someone you can't make progress with.

Once you've filtered some people out, take a look at their bio. Does anyone strike you as interesting? Anyone say something that really resonates with you? If someone sneaks in, "kids today don't have any grit," they're probably not for you. Conversely if they mention how powerful economic issues are in influencing our mental health, it might be working talking to said comrade. Once again, go with your gut.

Okay I've got 4-5 people that seem weird enough for me.

Give 'em a call! All therapists should do a free 15-20 minute FREE phone consultation. You will never have to pay for that phone call even if you decide to continue with them. Talk to them, be open, tell them what your reservations are. Then, listen. When they responded did you feel like you could open up to that person in session? Or did you feel like it'll be an uphill battle? If you didn't click with them, dump their fuckin rear end and move on.

I jumped in and have been seeing a therapist weekly for a month. Is my therapist good/is therapy working?

Great question. Generally I would ask you, "do you feel like you've been able to open up to that person, and how do you feel when you do open up?" If you've been able to explore things with them and you feel comfortable with them, I think that's good. There's no perfect metric because let's say you went into your first session wanting to work on your depression, there may be other things that have to be worked through first before the depression can be alleviated. Or if you're anxious, you might always be anxious going into session, it doesn't mean that therapist isn't good or that therapy isn't working.

I think in some ways it's better to ask, can I see myself growing in this space with this person or have we hit a wall? It's very difficult because someone who is just starting to work through some very scary stuff might start to tell themselves their therapist sucks as an excuse to quit. It's a tricky question but for me I could usually tell between 4 and 8 sessions if I could work with this person.

So ya jump the gently caress in and get your brain fixed. You can always tell them something isn't working and see if they can change it, if not, dump 'em and move on to someone else. That's their job. You are paying them, you are the client. And if you're unsure if a thing is you or the therapist, feel free to ask in the thread or if you're wondering what a certain theory will be like, ask away.

thanks for posting this since my lazy rear end hasnt gotten around to adding it to the op. hoping to have that done today.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I would be interested in their definition of "psychologist," as well. Does that include social workers and licensed therapists? If not, that's really misleading.

Social workers and psychologists are different professions with separate educations and licenses. We both can get licenses to practice therapy or psychotherapy. Also other regulated professions can practice therapy - like some areas have licensed psychotherapists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, etc.

Not all psychologists do therapy as part of their profession - there are many kinds of research psychologists, forensic psychologists, etc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Social workers and psychologists are different professions with separate educations and licenses. We both can get licenses to practice therapy or psychotherapy. Also other regulated professions can practice therapy - like some areas have licensed psychotherapists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, etc.

Not all psychologists do therapy as part of their profession - there are many kinds of research psychologists, forensic psychologists, etc.

yeah. it just seems like such a broad brush thats its useless for comparison and in fact harmful

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

it is in fact a lovely, dumb, harmful wannabe-meme; this coming from a bernie voter

also check out how therapist is right there on the end of the list for Bernie supporters

almost like occupation is self-reported thing with fuzzy categorization

anyway i need to find a new therapist and also treatment in general wwoop

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I always thought the only significant distinction was that psychologists psychiatrists are medical doctors who can prescribe medication, and psychiatrists psychologists arent; psychiatry psychology being a broader field that encompasses therapists and social workers. I hope I havent been perpetuating any negative or harmful myths.

Edit: Corrected my post. I got it backwards initially. Psychiatrists are MDs who can prescribe meds, psychologists are non-MDs.

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Jan 18, 2020

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i imagine it varies by regulatory jurisdiction but at least here in :911: psychiatrists are the ones specifically with the 'scrip pad

you have it backwards, at least from my experience

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

juche avocado posted:

i imagine it varies by regulatory jurisdiction but at least here in :911: psychiatrists are the ones specifically with the 'scrip pad

you have it backwards, at least from my experience

Oops, youre right. I got it backwards. Thanks. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

it is in fact a lovely, dumb, harmful wannabe-meme; this coming from a bernie voter

also check out how therapist is right there on the end of the list for Bernie supporters

almost like occupation is self-reported thing with fuzzy categorization

anyway i need to find a new therapist and also treatment in general wwoop

yeah it's a bad take no matter what

like I said, actively harmful. so uh maybe don't post something like that again thread tia

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
there are a lot of bad vibes going around these days, please look after friends and yourself, things will be better in spring

a friend invited me to the bojack horseman sadposting fb group and jesus they're almost all suicidal there. i havent even seen the show but i can relate to the emotions

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Bojack is a really good show with really silly visual gags, puns, tongue twisters and godawful gut punches.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

One can argue about how *good* Bojack is as a show, but it does wallow in the deepest despair with precision, to a point where it really isn't very healthy to watch if you are of a certain mindset.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

One can argue about how *good* Bojack is as a show, but it does wallow in the deepest despair with precision, to a point where it really isn't very healthy to watch if you are of a certain mindset.

yeah, Ive heard it is a relentlessly depressing show, which is why I stay the hell away

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

That's also the thing that put me off watching, even though I heard it's very good. I suppose I can only take depictions of depression if they're the length of a song or something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jollity Farm posted:

That's also the thing that put me off watching, even though I heard it's very good. I suppose I can only take depictions of depression if they're the length of a song or something.

songs end after a few minutes. they dont get updated weekly :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Play some SadFM

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Chokes McGee posted:

yeah, Ive heard it is a relentlessly depressing show, which is why I stay the hell away

watching bojack while depressed is like watching letterkenny while trying to quit smoking

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

thehandtruck posted:

Long helpful post on finding a therapist and determining if they are good for you.

Just want to say thanks for this. It's time I start looking into therapy and work on getting out of being stuck in this weird numb pit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mundrial Mantis posted:

Just want to say thanks for this. It's time I start looking into therapy and work on getting out of being stuck in this weird numb pit.

Finally fuckin' added it to the OP.

Thanks again for this, thehandtruck. You did a real good thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
why oh why do the brains that fix your brain break your dick?